The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2018, 12:22 AM   #91
gegarrenton
"TRF" Member

Lotta middle class anxiety in this thread. Woof.
gegarrenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 12:26 AM   #92
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Another great post from someone who needs to seriuosly reconsider life's priorities.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:33 AM   #93
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Who's trolling? You brought up TAG Heuer like it deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Rolex. I disagreed with you, and replied accordingly. If there isn't room for that in this forum, I'm not sure why any of us are here.

Rolex is king. Why don't we ban all talk of anything else. Oh, that's right,this is a Rolex forum.

Always a good bite from the fanboys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:00 AM   #94
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Rolex is king. Why don't we ban all talk of anything else. Oh, that's right,this is a Rolex forum.

Always a good bite from the fanboys.
Seems I've been the one feeding the troll.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:02 AM   #95
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

lol. I couldn't care less what Saban or these other coaches wear.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:06 AM   #96
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Mods, please close this thread. Did not anticipate the visceral reactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:40 AM   #97
gegarrenton
"TRF" Member

Didn't see any real visceral reactions? More bafflement.
gegarrenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:02 AM   #98
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Wha? Why does a thread need to be closed? You got some differing opinions. No big deal.
Old 24 February 2018, 12:45 PM   #99
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Seems I've been the one feeding the troll.

Perhaps. I wonder at the very narrow horological views of many Rolex owners.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:15 PM   #100
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Every brand has their snobs. lol. So silly.
Old 24 February 2018, 02:28 PM   #101
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

First, the cult of celebrity has always mystified me. I really do not care whatever a famous person wears/does/eats etc.

Second, is there a requirement for someone who is wealthy or famous to show their wealth in a manner that you recognize and appreciate?

In the town I used to live in there was a multi millionaire I knew who always wore rubber boots and a denim jacket, drove an older pickup truck. Not even sure he ever wore a watch. He spent a great deal of his money supporting local initiatives and charities without fanfare or calling attention to himself. I guess by the OP's yardstick he was a failure
Old 24 February 2018, 07:42 PM   #102
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure why you pegged me either as narrow-viewed or a Rolex fanboy. I'm no fan of TAG Heuer, but you were certainly welcome to explain why you like them. That could have made for an interesting exchange of views. I also happen to like plenty of other watch brands, and am critical of some things Rolex has done. Granted, on balance Rolex is my favorite, but having a favorite watch brand does not automatically make one a fanboy.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:03 AM   #103
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

Product placement most likely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yousefsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:40 PM   #104
JBoone
"TRF" Member

I was hesitant to get a Rolex until I realized nobody would notice. Love it or hate it Rolex is known as a status symbol to non watch people.

I have small mortgage payment in a very modest home. I only own a Rolex because I am a watch geek. The general pubic does not recognize non blingy watches. Most would not recognize common models of any nice watch brands which is good with me.

I don’t want to have a conversation with coworkers or anyone else for that matter why I bought a watch that cost several thousand dollars.

Edit: I am an accountant so probably a bit conservative.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:53 PM   #105
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
There's nothing wrong with wearing a Fossil watch, regardless of one's financial status, or even one's appreciation for watches in general.
I concur
Old 26 February 2018, 03:03 AM   #106
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
TAG have been gone longer than they were there.

Since when has TAG been gone? Did I miss something?
Old 26 February 2018, 03:38 AM   #107
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Since when has TAG been gone? Did I miss something?
LVMH took over the brand in 1999. Although it is still called TAG Heuer, TAG Group no longer owns the watch company.
Old 26 February 2018, 03:42 AM   #108
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I kind of feel bad for the OP.

What a dopey collection of thoughts.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 03:46 AM   #109
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Rolex no longer a tool watch. Only a few of us fit their profile one of them being well off and well established individuals. It is now jewlery and the market target a different one than that used many decades ago.
i agree.... I also think in the current times there is no future anyway in mechanical watches without being very upmarket. In that sense i think its smart to be positioned where Rolex is or higher. Those low end watch brands are going to get hammered with wearable tech as those are competing more on price with smart watches than the high end brands.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 06:12 AM   #110
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Could have been a gift from one of their kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 February 2018, 12:55 PM   #111
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree.... I also think in the current times there is no future anyway in mechanical watches without being very upmarket. In that sense i think its smart to be positioned where Rolex is or higher. Those low end watch brands are going to get hammered with wearable tech as those are competing more on price with smart watches than the high end brands.
No one needs a watch with all the options available these days.
There are many who buy a Seiko mechanical watch, just because they like mechanical over quartz, not because they need a time keeper. Seiko, who have pioneered many innovations are not going away for a while yet. Besides, it offers the Grand Seiko series for those who insist on paying more for emotional satisfaction.

A Seiko 5 series can last a hundred years, and go reliably without a service for decades, so the idea that one is paying for durability is minor. When it is cheaper to buy a $2000 watch every 5 years than service a high end watch, the reasons for the high end, including Grand Seiko, can only boil down to emotional satisfaction of owning a piece of art. Mind you, that is a very good reason, and should replace the claims of performance, durability and accuracy over lessor brands.
Still, for some strange reason I get every bit as much of a kick out of my other vintage models, as I do out of my Rolexes.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:06 PM   #112
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I cannot comment on all of the responses. I can say that Nick Saban has been the leader in college football coaches salaries. No matter what watch he wears, all division 1 coaches owe their salary increases to him.
Old 27 February 2018, 01:20 AM   #113
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye4life View Post
What if Paul Newman hadn’t worn a Daytona?
Paul Newman actually RACED cars in a pre-digital age and maybe used it, as it was intended to be used, as a stopwatch, and not bling. So what?

Quote:
What if Steve McQueen hadn’t worn a Sub?
Why would anyone care what a movie actor wears? Do you mean James Bond, a fictional character? I don’t understand your question. What does it matter what any actor wears?

Quote:
You don't see many millionaires driving Kias (no offense to Kia, my wife owns a Kia).
Assuming you mean that the wealthy don’t drive “cheap” cares, this statement is not true, I guess depending upon the definition of "many". The most popular car among those making more than $200K/yr is the Ford 150. The other top selling cars are the Cherokee, Pilot, Wrangler, and Civic.

How about those millionaires? LeBron James ---- WAIT FOR IT ---- Owns a ----- WAIT FOR IT ---- KIA. Don’t believe it? Look at the picture http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/rich...-nba-cavaliers Michael Dell has a $20K Boxster.

How about some billionaires?
Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckberg, Alice Walton (richest woman in the world), Ingvar Kamprad, and Steve Ballmer all drive “cheap” cars. Bezos is reported to drive a 2006 Accord. Laurene Jobs, a Audi A5. People buy what makes them happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Brace yourself...this is going to be shocking.

Some people actually don't think spending thousands of dollars on a watch is a good idea.

^^^^^ Exactly.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 06:00 AM   #114
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
Why would anyone care what a movie actor wears? Do you mean James Bond, a fictional character? I don’t understand your question. What does it matter what any actor wears?
It would be nice if it didn't matter, because that would mean people could think for themselves and decide what they like based on the merits of those things. But we know that's not entirely true. If it were, there wouldn't be product placement deals, celebrity endorsement deals, corporate sponsorship - even advertising wouldn't have the impact it does. Popular culture would be a very different looking landscape if most people were not influenced by what they see others doing, saying, or wearing. Indeed, one might say we would be a very different species if that were the case.
Old 27 February 2018, 07:19 AM   #115
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Didn't read the whole thread but frankly this thread is a bit silly, one, and two very snobbish to assume people of a certain demographic "should wear" a luxury watch, but what even makes it worse is not any luxury watch but a Rolex.

Besides, is it not possible that they are endorsed by Fossil to wear that. So maybe not so stupid or "weird".
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 08:12 AM   #116
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would be nice if it didn't matter, because that would mean people could think for themselves and decide what they like based on the merits of those things. But we know that's not entirely true. If it were, there wouldn't be product placement deals, celebrity endorsement deals, corporate sponsorship - even advertising wouldn't have the impact it does. Popular culture would be a very different looking landscape if most people were not influenced by what they see others doing, saying, or wearing. Indeed, one might say we would be a very different species if that were the case.
So my question still stands. Maybe I should of worded it as "why do you care about what some actor wears". Its an actor or athlete. So what? They act or play sports. They might be talented at reading lines or playing a game. Of course I know they get endorsement deals. But that is a bit different. A golfer may be a brand ambassador. They endorse a product and hopefully they actually own or use the product. You know they are being paid to advertise a product.

I was talking more about what they do in real life. I don't know if Rolex paid Paul Newman to wear their watch. But if Joe Nobody or some coach few people have heard of wears some watch, I don't understand why anyone cares. What's the point? Is someone going to look at their shoes and say "Hey, that's not Nike"?

Maybe I should have worded it in some way about those easily swayed or influenced by others ... and end it some other way. Do they want to be "just like that actor"? Why?
Old 27 February 2018, 09:13 AM   #117
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I should have worded it in some way about those easily swayed or influenced by others ... and end it some other way. Do they want to be "just like that actor"? Why?
It's a fair question. I often scratch my head when someone says he prefers a no-date Submariner because it was James Bond's watch. (If I recall, the exact line was, "If it's good enough for Bond, it's good enough for me.") I'm as big a Bond fan as the next guy, but that doesn't mean I'll forego a useful feature (to me) just because Connery sported it in some of the movies. But the broader nature of the question - why are we influenced by people of stature - touches on some fundamental aspects of human nature, and probably isn't easy to answer.
Old 27 February 2018, 09:58 AM   #118
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a fair question. I often scratch my head when someone says he prefers a no-date Submariner because it was James Bond's watch. (If I recall, the exact line was, "If it's good enough for Bond, it's good enough for me.") I'm as big a Bond fan as the next guy, but that doesn't mean I'll forego a useful feature (to me) just because Connery sported it in some of the movies. But the broader nature of the question - why are we influenced by people of stature - touches on some fundamental aspects of human nature, and probably isn't easy to answer.
For Bond, then maybe all men to use straight razors. Ah no, not going to happen. Not using a straight razor. He's not even real, he's fiction. Duh.

IMO, its all ridiculous. They are "actors". They read scripts. Athletes play games. Singers sing. All of them might be great at what they do, far better than me, and I appreciate it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy a Mr. Coffee machine because Joe DiMaggio sold them. Joe might have been a GREAT baseball hitter but what did he know about Coffee?

Yes, people are easily influenced by who they perceive as celebrities and thats kind of scary.
Old 27 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #119
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy a Mr. Coffee machine because Joe DiMaggio sold them. Joe might have been a GREAT baseball hitter but what did he know about Coffee?
Funny you should mention coffee. A few years ago, I outfitted myself with a La Pavoni piston espresso machine and a high-end burr grinder, because I wanted a good home espresso-bar setup. Only after that did I re-watch Live and Let Die and noticed Moore's Bond has a near-identical setup in his kitchen. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little tickled by the coincidence, but it wouldn't have influenced my choice when picking out the machines.
Old 27 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #120
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, they wouldn't be Sheepel.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote