The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 February 2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Icon13 F.B.I. Bringing the Hammer Down on the Corrupt N.C.A.A. and High Profile Basketball

March Madness is starting soon so either the F.B.I. waits until the tournaments are over or it could happen prior to it. Coaches, players ( some who are already suspended now ) ASM Sports, sneaker companies, school administrators, Financial Advisors plus who else who gets ratted on are on notice.

Plan on schools vacating games, post season play annulled, perhaps NCAA championship game winners having an * next to their name for failure of institutional control over the athletic department, new head coaching jobs poping up all over. Maybe even death penalties handed out.

What's really shocking is a lot of this evidence is clearly on tape through wire taps and the rats making a deal to save fines and possible jail time.

Yup, even a UNLV player was at dinner and someone who wasn't suppose to pay for dinner picked up the tab. NCAA was protecting the high major schools and now that the FBI is involved expect some major changes in the college sports world. NCAA has always been protecting the money making schools to fund their corrupt organization.

I won't mention what schools as I'm biased and you can look it up but it's about time. Time for total revamp of College Basketball. Either go into NBA right out of high school or no draft option unless you finish your 2nd year at school.

EDIT: Maybe college players deserve better stipends instead of these vultures swooping in and ruining everything. 17-22 year old kids are the ones getting prayed upon
Old 24 February 2018, 05:16 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its hard to enforce rules for people who don't want to be there in the first place and are just going through the motions. If they dont care, what is the incentive?
Old 24 February 2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

It's not so much about the players doing wrong as it is about the money grabbing thieves called adults and mentors. There're suppose to watch out for and set examples for the kids, some of these coaches are the only father figure some of players had. You have a kid from the streets of Chicago and next thing you know they have money, cars, women thrown at them. How would most of you handle all that at that age ? I'm not making excuses for 18 year olds but the pressure is unreal and they are lied to. Even the kids parents are getting Benifits with this. Cars, free airfare, more money under the table, coaching jobs extended to family members if their kid picks that certain school.
Old 24 February 2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
Just allow them to be paid....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2018, 06:03 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max16013 View Post
Just allow them to be paid....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i agree.

When they want to skip college in the first place and are only hanging out for a year, they are more likely to accept money and the entire system of corruption with coaches/boosters/athletic apparel companies is there to exploit the underlying issue that they want to turn pro and get paid but cant.

Plus, considering how many wash out at the NBA level anyway, if they were paid, you might see more staying in college for four years. They they get a degree and college basketball would be better too.
Old 24 February 2018, 06:10 PM   #6
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
IDK. I can see the argument either way, but maybe a fellowship stipend and perhaps a trust fund that they can be part of after graduating that goes up with their grades.

Then you have a really tough argument why women and other sports players don't deserve to get paid, it would have to be universally applied I believe to all athletes, and then we are likely back here because the money wouldn't be enough.

I think at some point we have to stop prosecuting things that are minor. I recall people saying they wanted people jailed for speeding. I think I am the opposite direction, I don't think we should be wasting tax payer dollars unless people are repeat offenders and perhaps violent repeat offenders. I could see the case for stopping prosecution of anything that wasn't a felony. I think that is part of the issue here.
Old 24 February 2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

lol
Yeah, lets regulate payment to college kids. You really think that'll stop all this. I wonder what schools have the most money to pay for the talent. It would be another vicious cycle and the same issue as now. You think Grand Canyon University has the same budget as North Carolina?? You think there's parity now ? The bigger schools will always find away to offer more and the boosters will still put an envelope under a door mat. Paying players will still cause corruption and the separation from power leagues will widen even further from smaller schools from the likes of New Mexico State University.
Old 24 February 2018, 06:14 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
IDK. I can see the argument either way, but maybe a fellowship stipend and perhaps a trust fund that they can be part of after graduating that goes up with their grades.

Then you have a really tough argument why women and other sports players don't deserve to get paid, it would have to be universally applied I believe to all athletes, and then we are likely back here because the money wouldn't be enough.
I received an authentic scholarship myself. Its a job already and you cant really live on the free education if you have no money to begin with. You cant get a real job and earn money either because sports and school takes all of your time. If my parents didn't give me money also, i would not have been able to support myself. Clothes, gas for your car, being able to go out with your friends... none of that stuff is covered with a scholarship. Not all parents can do that. Yet the programs make tons of money off these kids.

Im sure its frustrating (especially if you are a high profile player) and you are not able to go out and grab a pizza because you are broke when your face is being used to market the schools athletic program.
Old 24 February 2018, 06:25 PM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I received an authentic scholarship myself. Its a job already and you cant really live on the free education if you have no money to begin with. You cant get a real job and earn money either because sports and school takes all of your time. If my parents didn't give me money also, i would not have been able to support myself. Clothes, gas for your car, being able to go out with your friends... none of that stuff is covered with a scholarship. Not all parents can do that. Yet the programs make tons of money off these kids.

Im sure its frustrating (especially if you are a high profile player) and you are not able to go out and grab a pizza because you are broke when your face is being used to market the schools athletic program.
These players go broke at an alarming rate. So I don't think paying them more directly is the answer.

Finally tbh, your argument is that you need rich parents to go to college. I think there are so many counter examples to that its so far from logically valid argument. That really hasn't been the case since the GI Bill.

People without these scholarships work their ass off, people get loans and work and sometimes also play sports. Both my grandparents were both poor, and children of immigrants. They worked through law school and medical school. The American dream isn't winning a genetic lottery, or having everyone get the same outcomes, its about everyone an opportunity to make it if they work hard and get lucky. So you don't have a binary choice, be broke and play sports or have rich parents, there are middle class students, perhaps the vast majority are, who don't get scholarships, who have to take out loans and work while going to school.

I think your suggestion that getting a scholarship doesn't help is somewhat, IDK, seems like you don't appreciate the value of the education provided. (Many of these guys likely wouldn't have gotten into their school without the sports. I know my brother said to me once, it was clear who was in Harvard for sports.)

College is expensive, people pay for that (even if it was their parents, they still worked hard). Full ride scholarships would be the equivalent in many cases to 500-1m pretax dollars for a private school.

Two quick examples one of my friends keeps going to school so she doesn't have to pay her debt, another is the VP of a major defense contractor, literally the American dream and still own about half a million in college loans. Their scholarships are money, real money, and honestly I could see the argument that they should be taxed. (4 year college is what a minimum of 250k pretax dollars, thats more than most minor league ball players make per year amortized.)

I think maybe a stipend but, they should do community service. I think maybe they get health care or a trust fund buy in. IDK it's a tough issue but I'm not crying for them. Especially considering part of the scandal is that there were issues with grades being basically given to them.

Your perspective is interesting but I think to myself, perhaps get a loan like the vast majority of students. And I think it would be difficult to argue that part of this doesn't boil down to greed.
Old 24 February 2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Help me out here. Why is it ok to give college kids who are cadets in ROTC a monthly cash payment (in addition to any other scholarships or FA), but it’s not ok to give an athelete a cash payment?

Standardize the cash incentive and pay it to everyone who makes the team, whatever school they go to. It’s a farm league, after all. Give the kids a minor league salary on top of their free education.
Old 24 February 2018, 10:21 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
This is just the tip of the iceberg. It will go far and wide and move over into football before it is over. Systemic problems that go with sports involving billions of dollars annually.
Old 24 February 2018, 11:20 PM   #12
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg. It will go far and wide and move over into football before it is over. Systemic problems that go with sports involving billions of dollars annually.
Correct !
Old 24 February 2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
The NCAA is over a 10 billion dollar Non-Profit. Take away the tax exempt status
Old 25 February 2018, 12:22 AM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
From what I've read, we here at Arizona won't be enjoying any more NCAA tournament games for a good long while. They have a game tonight at Oregon, and it'll be interesting to see if Miller is on the sideline and/or Ayton's on the floor.

Obviously the coaches and schools taking part in this should be ashamed and be made to pay a price, but make no mistake about it, if it weren't for the agents and shoe companies getting their hooks into these kids long before they get to college, this wouldn't be happening.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #15
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
lol
Yeah, lets regulate payment to college kids. You really think that'll stop all this. I wonder what schools have the most money to pay for the talent. It would be another vicious cycle and the same issue as now. You think Grand Canyon University has the same budget as North Carolina?? You think there's parity now ? The bigger schools will always find away to offer more and the boosters will still put an envelope under a door mat. Paying players will still cause corruption and the separation from power leagues will widen even further from smaller schools from the likes of New Mexico State University.
Those small schools don’t even have a chance now so how is it any different.

The argument that there’s not enough money to pay everyone is total BS. The P5 schools are already in an arms race for facilities and the amount of money the HC and assistant coaches make are already absurd.

Why is the FBI even investigating this? Paying someone to play a sport isn’t illegal. The NCAA needs to be redone and just allow schools to pay scholarship athletes.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:26 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Those small schools don’t even have a chance now so how is it any different.

The argument that there’s not enough money to pay everyone is total BS.The P5 schools are already in an arms race for facilities and the amount of money the HC and assistant coaches make are already absurd.

Why is the FBI even investigating this? Paying someone to play a sport isn’t illegal. The NCAA needs to be redone and just allow schools to pay scholarship athletes.
this is true. Its even more true on the HS level which is even more egregious.
Look at Texas HS football stadiums and the schools they are attached to. Sprint turf, lights, huge and new stadiums etc. ... The schools are falling apart and the kids dont have enough books.

It all starts with the ridiculous importance we place on sports in the first place. Its big business even before college.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:43 AM   #17
THC

Watch: 16610M
NCAA = Hypocrits
Old 25 February 2018, 01:47 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
The NCAA is over a 10 billion dollar Non-Profit. Take away the tax exempt status
agreed
Old 25 February 2018, 06:13 AM   #19
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Help me out here. Why is it ok to give college kids who are cadets in ROTC a monthly cash payment (in addition to any other scholarships or FA), but it’s not ok to give an athelete a cash payment?

Standardize the cash incentive and pay it to everyone who makes the team, whatever school they go to. It’s a farm league, after all. Give the kids a minor league salary on top of their free education.
8 year contract after college to join the military -- perhaps the better question is how they are similar?
Old 25 February 2018, 06:42 AM   #20
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
8 year contract after college to join the military -- perhaps the better question is how they are similar?
Both are student programs. Both prepare a student for the next level of their career. Both have study commitments plus after school comitments. One recognizes that students have expenses. The other waves money under the student’s nose and expects him not to touch it.

And there’s no mandatory active duty, BTW. Just like there’s no mandatory NBA.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:52 PM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I had a partial ride at the Univerity of California for my sport (I wasn’t good enough for a full scholarship.... even though I started from my Junior year on ). I can tell you without my Athletic bonus I don’t think I would have been able to complete my education.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:12 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
no tax exempt.

pay the players.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:13 PM   #23
JZD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Because of the military service commitment perhaps? Do you even know what ROTC means? Did you know they have to pay the money back if they don’t fulfill their obligations? Also, do you have any idea what a minor league baseball salary is?
Old 25 February 2018, 01:26 PM   #24
JZD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
no tax exempt.

pay the players.
They already are. Somewhere between 30-50k per year. Tuition isn’t free.
Old 25 February 2018, 01:27 PM   #25
JZD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both are student programs. Both prepare a student for the next level of their career. Both have study commitments plus after school comitments. One recognizes that students have expenses. The other waves money under the student’s nose and expects him not to touch it.

And there’s no mandatory active duty, BTW. Just like there’s no mandatory NBA.
That is factually incorrect. Be better.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:17 PM   #26
77T

I haven’t seen any update since September on the source story - anyone validate the claim that there’s a pending event here?

This is what I saw last year: https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...corruption-fbi

Sorry if I missed something - just share where it’s reported...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 25 February 2018, 02:41 PM   #27
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZD View Post
That is factually incorrect. Be better.
This is factually rude, be less obnoxious. Abdullah is a long-standing and respected member of TRF, and... you are who again? I don’t know or care if his info is correct, try not being so demeaning. Oh, and FYI, yes, Abdullah and I both know what ROTC stands for, I flew 67 combat sorties over Iraq during Desert Storm in a US Navy Fighter, Abdullah served years over seas in the military and as a civilian for our country. And you are who again to treat him in such a demeaning manner? Try it with me.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:12 PM   #28
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
This is factually rude, be less obnoxious. Abdullah is a long-standing and respected member of TRF, and... you are who again? I don’t know or care if his info is correct, try not being so demeaning. Oh, and FYI, yes, Abdullah and I both know what ROTC stands for, I flew 67 combat sorties over Iraq during Desert Storm in a US Navy Fighter, Abdullah served years over seas in the military and as a civilian for our country. And you are who again to treat him in such a demeaning manner? Try it with me.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:19 PM   #29
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because of the military service commitment perhaps? Do you even know what ROTC means? Did you know they have to pay the money back if they don’t fulfill their obligations? Also, do you have any idea what a minor league baseball salary is?
Agreed. Ludicrous to attempt this comparison, but to each their own.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:09 PM   #30
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
They already are. Somewhere between 30-50k per year. Tuition isn’t free.
That’s the retail price of college. The actual expense to the college is much lower.
Closed Thread