The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2018, 03:43 AM   #1
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Is buying second hand bad for resell?

Just curious if I bought second hand, will it hurt the resell should I choose to sell it later down the road? Like the more owners, the worse the resell value. Or does it not matter...as long as it's in good condition and I have papers...etc?
Gixxer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:47 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

it helps you not lose as much when you sell it later. Similar to cars... it loses value once its no longer new in almost all cases. Buy a used car or a watch and you dont get instant depreciation.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:50 AM   #3
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it helps you not lose as much when you sell it later. Similar to cars... it loses value once its no longer new in almost all cases. Buy a used car or a watch and you dont get instant depreciation.
Thanks. Actually didn't think about that. I guess it depends on the watch too. Some watches go up in value and/or have a high resell value right now *cough* BLNR *cough cough*
Old 25 February 2018, 04:02 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer32 View Post
Thanks. Actually didn't think about that. I guess it depends on the watch too. Some watches go up in value and/or have a high resell value right now *cough* BLNR *cough cough*
yeah. As long as you are not paying over retail you are fine. IMO most of the above RRP watches won't be forever. BLNR won't long term and especially not if there is a more popular replacement at some point (coke)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:04 AM   #5
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

If it has the whole kit (boxes, papers, etc) then it doesn’t matter if you’re the first or fifteenth owner. If you’re buying something to potentially resell then buy it used and let the first owner take the depreciation.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah. As long as you are not paying over retail you are fine. IMO most of the above RRP watches won't be forever. BLNR won't long term and especially not if there is a more popular replacement at some point (coke)
I really like the BLNR, but not enough to pay over retail for it while it's still in production. With the second hand market right now, retail is the cheaper route. I also like the coke, but waiting until the ceramic comes out. I'm pretty sure everyone else is doing the same thing. When the ceramic coke comes out...it's going to be a long wait in line. I think I might own both down the line. Best of both words.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:12 AM   #7
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
If it has the whole kit (boxes, papers, etc) then it doesn’t matter if you’re the first or fifteenth owner. If you’re buying something to potentially resell then buy it used and let the first owner take the depreciation.
Good to know. Thanks
Old 25 February 2018, 04:14 AM   #8
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Yup. I look at it as letting the first owner take the greatest and obvious immediate loss. I also buy cars that are a couple years old for the same reason.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:34 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . Like the more owners, the worse the resell value. Or does it not matter...as long as it's in good condition and I have papers...etc?

No..... It doesn't matter how many previous owners a watch has; besides, how would anybody actually know that information.

Condition is paramount for any watch.
Old 25 February 2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I really like the BLNR, but not enough to pay over retail for it while it's still in production. With the second hand market right now, retail is the cheaper route. I also like the coke, but waiting until the ceramic comes out. I'm pretty sure everyone else is doing the same thing. When the ceramic coke comes out...it's going to be a long wait in line. I think I might own both down the line. Best of both words.
IF. IF. IF Rolex makes a ceramic coke, it will be a long, long while before you will see it less than MSRP. If it’s a PM coke it will be well north of twenty grand anyway.

Buy an excellent used BLNR at less than retail now and you won’t be sorry.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:28 AM   #11
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
IF. IF. IF Rolex makes a ceramic coke, it will be a long, long while before you will see it less than MSRP. If it’s a PM coke it will be well north of twenty grand anyway.

Buy an excellent used BLNR at less than retail now and you won’t be sorry.
So you saying if the ceramic coke comes out, the AD will be selling it at a mark-up on retail? If it's 20k at an AD, I'll pass. However, if it's $8,950 like the BLNR then I'll buy it. The cheapest BLNR I seen was around $9.1k and that was on here. That's actually pretty good, if someone doesn't mind paying retail. Retail is only $8,950. However, I'm pretty sure the seller got it for less than retail and flipping it for a nice profit.

Outside looking in, 9.1k is good if you don't care about getting a discount...due to the fact of what the retail price is. However, I'm trying to get a discount off retail or pay retail. So, anything over retail is a no-go for me. I'll only pay over retail if it's discontinued or rumor of it being discontinued. Buy on rumor...sell on news.
Old 25 February 2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
So you saying if the ceramic coke comes out, the AD will be selling it at a mark-up on retail? If it's 20k at an AD, I'll pass. However, if it's $8,950 like the BLNR then I'll buy it. The cheapest BLNR I seen was around $9.1k and that was on here. That's actually pretty good, if someone doesn't mind paying retail. Retail is only $8,950. However, I'm pretty sure the seller got it for less than retail and flipping it for a nice profit.

Outside looking in, 9.1k is good if you don't care about getting a discount...due to the fact of what the retail price is. However, I'm trying to get a discount off retail or pay retail. So, anything over retail is a no-go for me. I'll only pay over retail if it's discontinued or rumor of it being discontinued. Buy on rumor...sell on news.
Look at how the ceramic Daytona is selling as an example of how a ceramic coke will sell. High demand will drive AD sales at MSRP. Secondary market will be sell well above MSRP.

If it came out in WG, like the pepsi, MSRP will be well north of $20k.

All assuming Rolex produces a ceramic coke anytime soon.
Old 25 February 2018, 08:41 AM   #13
Gixxer32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Look at how the ceramic Daytona is selling as an example of how a ceramic coke will sell. High demand will drive AD sales at MSRP. Secondary market will be sell well above MSRP.

If it came out in WG, like the pepsi, MSRP will be well north of $20k.

All assuming Rolex produces a ceramic coke anytime soon.
Yeah, $20k is out of my price range. I'm confident it will sell when it comes out, but that's out of my price range.
Old 25 February 2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, $20k is out of my price range. I'm confident it will sell when it comes out, but that's out of my price range.
Don’t wait for a watch that may never come if you can get a watch you like now.