The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 April 2021, 03:51 PM   #1
tna23
"TRF" Member

Speedy 3861 bracelet

I'm sorry to resurrect this topic, but I visited my AD today to try on the 3861 (hesalite) and was very disappointed by the quality of the bracelet. The complaints about sharp edges and hair pulling are valid. Furthermore, the bracelet feels flimsy and there's a noticeable gap between the end link and the case.

I also own a relatively new AT and I have to say the quality of the AT's bracelet is miles ahead of the 3861. No sharp edges, no gaps and it feels solid.

In all other respect I think the 3861 is a huge upgrade over the previous model and I absolutely love it. However, the bracelet is a let down and as someone who prefers a bracelet over a strap, this is enough to turn me off buying the watch.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
tna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 04:56 PM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I agree ... found last 1861 moon watch bracelet more substantial. The new one also seems to taper too much with such a delicate clasp ... with no reasonable adjustment. Great new watch, but the bracelet lets it down.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 12:56 AM   #3
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Bracelets are still Omega's achilles heel. It's frustrating how they can make such great movements and have a design team that really knocks it out of the park, but miss so regularly on the bracelet. I have an 1861 Speedy, 300M and 300 and none are on the original bracelet. I'm very frustrated by the brand in this respect.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 02:47 AM   #4
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Here we go again - agree to disagree. To me, the bracelet is light and comfortable ( I don't equate mass to luxury), and I do not have a noticeable gap between the end links and case you are referring to.

There are aftermarket options that some people seem to like.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 05:10 AM   #5
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Here we go again - agree to disagree. To me, the bracelet is light and comfortable ( I don't equate mass to luxury), and I do not have a noticeable gap between the end links and case you are referring to.

I agree. Well said.

The OEM bracelet on the 1861 was awful. I put the 3186 bracelet on my 1861 and it looks, wears and feels great. What you call”flimsy” I call well made, light and very comfortable. The tapered look is just wonderfully comfortable and vintage evocative IMO.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Duke84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
On the contrary, I really like the new bracelet on the 3861 Speedy. No hair pulling. No sharp edges. The bracelet wears comfortably and catches the light beautifully. I like the lighter weight and don't think it feels cheap at all. The smaller links on the new bracelet allow for more precise fitting. Plus, the new end links now drop off immediately from the watch case, which allows for those with smaller wrists to wear the new 3861 Speedy.
Duke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 08:11 AM   #7
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

321 Bracelet is outstanding. Only thing missing is a micro adjust. Haven't tried on a new moonwatch but the bracelet on my 1861 is perfectly good.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 06:16 PM   #8
rolexafficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610
I recently purchased the 3861 Sapphire crystal version of the new Speedmaster. I do also own the 1863 version since 2015. Besides the end links on the 1863 which make the watch sit taller I’ve never had any complaints and also the bracelet is very comfy plus I changed the clasp to an omega extendible clasp.

As for the 3861, I do find that the bracelet is not as comfortable as the previous version. For some reason and maybe it’s because of the slightly raised centre links on the inner side that the bracelet doesn’t feel as smooth on the skin. Quality wise I think they could have made it a little more substantial in feel and width. I would have liked if the bracelet was a little wider near the clasp and if the clasp itself had been adjustible. After all the watch is more expensive than the previous one and doesn’t even come with the additional straps and the bracelet removal tool. Overall I think they could have done a better job on the bracelet. Infact I would have loved it if they had simply changed the old bracelet to have hollow end links. To me that would have been the best fit and finish like they have on the 44mm Coaxial Speedmasters. Or they could have made a modified version of the 1171 bracelet design with solid links. I may consider buying an Uncle Seiko 1171 replica bracelet or the omega 1171 original bracelet. Something about this new bracelet makes me want to take it off my wrist and not wear it for extended periods of time.

The watch dial has a good deep black and I like the step dial however as has been mentioned by a few others in their videos on youtube, they should have paid more attention to the really sharp inner lug edges on the bottom side. They are really sharp and one can tend to notice it and feel the sharpness when handling the watch but not while on the wrist.

I plan to some day take it to an Omega Boutique store and ask if they can have it rectified as this is certainly not something one should see on an expensive Omega watch. Not acceptable.
rolexafficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:18 AM   #9
basicky
"TRF" Member

I like the new bracelet very much from the look! Sad to hear it is less comfortable!
basicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:34 AM   #10
Driv3r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C Date
I have tried this watch on two different occasions. Yes, the bracelet is light and contours to the wrist well. Unfortunately, it either pinches my skin or pulls my hair. Honestly cannot tell which one, but to me it just feels so unrefined. It is truly a shame as I wanted to purchase a new speedy!
Driv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 02:43 AM   #11
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

Ditto.

Also have not had any hair pulling or skin pinching.

Maybe it’s a qc issue and affects some but not all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:49 AM   #12
logo
"TRF" Member

Not sure about the sharp edges, but aesthetically I just like the 1861 bracelet more than the 3861. I quite like the Ed White/Apollo 50th bracelet, but I guess the fact I haven’t pulled the trigger on buying one tells me I’m perfectly happy with the 1861 bracelet for now.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #13
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Took delivery of my new 1863 (Sapphire on Alligator Deployment) from our local Omega AD that was ordered last Tuesday. The SA and I compared the 1861 and 3861 bracelet versions from watches in the case and we both agreed that the bracelet from the 1861/1863 was the way to go so I will be ordering a spare for my new 1863. Comparing the 1861 to the 3861 side by side from the back (clasp up), the 3861 looks like a lady's 31mm DJ bracelet with the 20 to 15 mm taper.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote