The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 May 2021, 02:18 AM   #1
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Replace 5146 with 5960 or 5205?

I am thinking of switching out my 5146g, which is not getting much use, for either a 5960g or a 5205g - I would likely put either on a matte blue strap - and thought I would solicit some thoughts from the group.

Factors: (1) this is my only "dress" watch, to the extent that matters much anymore; (2) have nautilus, aquanaut, batman, few Panerai and other sport watches so don't need more on that front; (3) have one other chrono, and not 100% sure how much I would use the complication, but I know I don't really use the moon phase (but it looks nice); and (4) looking good on a blue strap is important.

I have seen several views on each of these but couldn't find many direct comparisons. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5960g.jpeg (38.0 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpeg 5205g-013.jpeg (23.7 KB, 649 views)
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 05:55 AM   #2
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

They’re going to wear similarly though the 5960 a bit thicker. The main difference is how “formal” you want the watch to be. 5960 is certainly more casual. I popped mine on to blue leather for this shot but prefer the brown tbh.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 11:24 AM   #3
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Beautiful piece. I feel like my view of formal has evolved in recent years, more so recently. To me, it is still a dark strap, fits well under the cuff, not too flashy and elegant design. I probably would not have considered a 5960 for a more formal watch a few years ago but now it is certainly more formal than what I normally wear.
Old 4 May 2021, 03:56 PM   #4
Cyberceo
"TRF" Member

My vote would be the 5205. Classic. It can be dressed up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cyberceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 04:17 PM   #5
Cyberceo
"TRF" Member

My vote would go for the 5205. Its more in the "dressy" category which you want.
Cyberceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 02:11 AM   #6
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Based on your description I think the 5205 is perfect for you. It offers something you don't have in your watchbox (once the 5146 is traded). Consensus would say the 5205 draws design of their classics with a modern touch which would give you both the dress and semi-causal watch at the same time.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 01:32 PM   #7
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
I'm biased towards the 5205g. Despite it being a dress piece it can be worn casually too due to the case design. The blue dial is simply mesmerising. Some pics for u.

It may hard to match a blue strap with it unless u find the right shade of blue as the dial is normally more black than blue. Will definitely need a darker blue strap to go with it.

Old 5 May 2021, 01:38 PM   #8
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
5146 is my grail. I loke how it is a bit more subtle than the 5205. The 5205 is a really attention grabbing piece, which is great because it is beautiful. But I think 5146 has versatility enough to be a daily work watch while 5205 may be too much for that, unless you are chief justice John Roberts.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
I'm biased towards the 5205g. Despite it being a dress piece it can be worn casually too due to the case design. The blue dial is simply mesmerising.
Mr Goh this 5205 really looks great on your wrist.

OP, I personally will not change the 5146 to 5205, and I find the 5960 a little on the thick side at 13.5mm.

Will the reason that keep you from frequently wearing your 5146 also apply to 5205 too?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 03:01 AM   #10
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I have the 5205 (R with white dial) so I highly recommend it. I think the 5205 has significantly more presence and aesthetic appeal than the 5146 which comes across looking rather utilitarian by comparison (to me at least).

However, coming from a 5146, it may be hard to justify a switch to a 5205, considering the likely switching cost involved, for a similar complication level. If you make a switch, perhaps make a bigger jump up in terms of complication/level?

The 5960 would qualify on the "bigger jump up" idea, although the thickness may be a consideration. Also the style may be more polarizing, I imagine people either really like it or really don't.

Also, about "use for the complication". Let's be honest, runners won't be timing their morning runs with a Patek Chrono any more than star-gazers will be checking lunar cycles with their Patek Moonphase. Get what you like, for whatever reason that may be. "Practical use" probably isn't the key reason. "I think it's effing cool and I like it"- now that's a good reason.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 03:26 AM   #11
MKIVdan
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love my 5960. I think you should go with it

MKIVdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 10:04 PM   #12
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Great comments. I like my 5146 but think the very traditional look is probably what keeps it in the box and reserved for events. I've heard folks say they can dress it down but I haven't felt that way with it on.

So it seems like the 5205 is probably more versatile between formal/casual. Also has a great dial. The 5960 is just plain cool and probably less of a dress watch due to the size, and the pictures really show the prominence of the red hand. Could probably pull it off at a formal event with the right strap?

Starting to feel like a bit of a head vs heart dilemma, and I'm pretty sure how this group will opine on that question...

Last question, any sense on timing for selling the 5146? Sell it now or do you think there is a chance values could increase in the near term? My AD (which does not buy or do any preowned) suggested the value could go up with it being discontinued. I don't normally hold on to watches I don't wear. Thanks!
Old 7 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #13
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Great comments. I like my 5146 but think the very traditional look is probably what keeps it in the box and reserved for events. I've heard folks say they can dress it down but I haven't felt that way with it on.

So it seems like the 5205 is probably more versatile between formal/casual. Also has a great dial. The 5960 is just plain cool and probably less of a dress watch due to the size, and the pictures really show the prominence of the red hand. Could probably pull it off at a formal event with the right strap?

Starting to feel like a bit of a head vs heart dilemma, and I'm pretty sure how this group will opine on that question...

Last question, any sense on timing for selling the 5146? Sell it now or do you think there is a chance values could increase in the near term? My AD (which does not buy or do any preowned) suggested the value could go up with it being discontinued. I don't normally hold on to watches I don't wear. Thanks!
No one can predict the value of watches but generally ACs arent that popular. Im pretty sure there are much better investment options out there than the 5146. I do agree that the 5146 is harder to dress down due to the case design and if you aren't wearing it much there's nothing wrong with letting it go.

You probably wont make much of a loss if u sell it and buy a 5205 or 5960 at grey prices if you really like them. Which one to choose will depend if you like the moonphase or chrono complication more as both of them have a similar dial design
Old 7 May 2021, 04:34 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

5205 on tropic. Unheard of. Marvelous
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 04:37 AM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
They’re going to wear similarly though the 5960 a bit thicker. The main difference is how “formal” you want the watch to be. 5960 is certainly more casual. I popped mine on to blue leather for this shot but prefer the brown tbh.

What size is your wrist. I like this one the more I see it on here . Especially if it’s wrapped with a nautilus lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 04:44 AM   #16
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post

I don't foresee the value on the 5146 changing much. Most AC or dress PP stay pretty consistent after they take their original depreciation. Only chance of appreciation may be way further down the road (I'm talking decades) which at this point you might want as well get a watch you'll actually wear.
Old 7 May 2021, 05:55 AM   #17
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What size is your wrist. I like this one the more I see it on here . Especially if it’s wrapped with a nautilus lol

It’s a great piece and a great size. My wrist is only 16.5cm (6.5in) so I prefer them a bit smaller.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 07:38 AM   #18
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
It’s a great piece and a great size. My wrist is only 16.5cm (6.5in) so I prefer them a bit smaller.
That's good to note. I have the same wrist size. Thought about adding a 5960 down the line, but was hesitant with its thickness vs. my 5205.
Old 7 May 2021, 07:42 PM   #19
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
I have 5960a and love it. Today I saw 5205G blue dial. GORGEOUS. It is the most beautiful blue dial I've seen. I think you can wear it dressy or casual, under a beautiful cashmere.
I could see why 5146 would get less use, as sweet as it may be. Good luck.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 08:59 PM   #20
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Both are amazing. That gradient dial on the 5205 was definitely my initial draw.