The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2021, 03:55 AM   #1441
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Hamilton had four races leading to zero points...that made the difference for Rosberg. He definitely gave Ham a run for his money but luck plays a huge part in F1 it seems(see Hams last couple races, dodging tire blowouts and red flags at perfect time) and without those DNFs for Ham, pretty sure he wouldn't have won and I only say that based on stats for that year. It's a good description to say he won the WDC versus he beat beat Ham because I don't think he beat Ham, like say you can see that Lewis did beat Bottas last year, soundly.
Nico was able to capitalize on Lewis's mistakes earlier in the year like his blown starts and him ignoring his pitwall in China to start from pit lane vs the grid.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 04:13 AM   #1442
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Nico was able to capitalize on Lewis's mistakes earlier in the year like his blown starts and him ignoring his pitwall in China to start from pit lane vs the grid.
exactly, he was good enough to take the opportunity that was given to him to win wdc, but at the same time he said he had to completely shut down everything else in his life and put 100% focus in only f1. not to mention all the extreme training he took and mental therapy he went through
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:53 AM   #1443
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Not so sure about Rosberg either. The records show that Rosberg won the 2016 WDC. It doesn't say that Rosberg beat Hamilton. One DNF on Hamilton's car in Malaysia was the difference. Rosberg got lucky that year and he knows it.
LOL... can we then say that Hamilton got lucky in winning his first WDC when he passed Timo Glock on the last corner of the last lap of the last race in Brazil coming in 5th place when Felipe Massa had it locked up in 2008? Can we say that Fernando Alonso got lucky in winning his 2nd WDC when Michael Schumacher's engine exploded in Suzuka after not having suffered an engine failure for several years?

If anyone listens to the F1 podcast "Beyond the Grid", look up the interview with Rosberg. He details how he devoted the 2016 year to laser like focus on tiny details like not cycling so he could lose a kilo of muscle weight from his legs. He came up with the reverse stitching from his gloves and after winning a few races in a row, Lewis adopted. Rosberg won 9 races in 2016, hardly luck when you devote yourself to a single purpose. I don't know anyone who is a championship pro athlete that doesn't devote themselves fully to their sport.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 02:46 AM   #1444
texasmade
"TRF" Member

It's always a combination of luck and talent to get to the top. Nico was lucky that Hamilton made all those mistakes early and then had an engine blow late, but he was also talented enough to take advantage of those opportunities when they arose.
Old 24 April 2021, 12:52 PM   #1445
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

The word “luck” at the track is invariably preceded with “bad” as an excuse for self-underperformance in some manner. Or alternatively preceded by “good” when aimed at another driver who outperformed someone else.

It just doesn’t exist. What most call luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity. All the rest is BS.

The team and HAM have outperformed all comers for years. The rest have underperformed in one way or another. I’d keep BOT out of the algo since he was often given the alternative race-strat to be sure at least one Merc was on the podium if driver error or equipment failure came to pass. We race for the mfr. championship first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #1446
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

"Get in there, Lewis!"

100 poles and a race win, excellent!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:32 AM   #1447
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
The Official Formula One Thread!

Considering the utter mess Mercedes were in in Pre season testing they have flexed their muscles and shown what a strong outfit they are when up against it.

I truly believe Red Bull still have the quickest car but Mercedes are extracting absolutely everything from their package.

I wonder if Lewis’ ruthless streak will break the resolve of the challenger?

It is unquestionable that Max will be a world champ one day but he’s never gone up against someone as formidable as Lewis at his best.

What an interesting season we have ahead of us that I’m sure will go down to the wire.

P.S. having now had the backing of Toto I can’t believe Valteri didn’t move out of the way on a completely different strategy. If that had cost Lewis the win can you imagine the fireworks! Would love to be a fly on the wall in the debrief.

And let’s not even mention the disgrace that is MazeSpin! Already in contention for the worst driver to ever line up on the grid in F1 history!!
An amazing driver compared to you or I but F1 is supposed to be the best of the best and he certainly is not. Schumacher junior is destroying him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 08:44 AM   #1448
77T

The race showed Red Bull shortcomings in strategy, pitlane, and their tactician. Their car is good, Max was on his game, but he became the stalked prey to Merc’s superior strategy, tactical adjustments and Lewis’ ability to rack up better laps after the 2-stopper was implemented.

Valteri owed nothing to Lewis other than a safe overtake - no radio call like “Lewis is faster”. It all worked out fine.

As for Nikita, his pace is what I’d expect from a backmarker on a BS Haas team that threw in the towel two races ago. But Mick is a better driver who faces team demotion if Papa Mazepin buys out Gene Haas ) as rumored…

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:09 AM   #1449
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Perez not being fully up to speed isn't helping either. I think he'll get the hang of the car, but currently Red Bull is still lacking there and having that strong second car opens up a lot in the strategy department.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:00 PM   #1450
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
Perez not being fully up to speed isn't helping either. I think he'll get the hang of the car, but currently Red Bull is still lacking there and having that strong second car opens up a lot in the strategy department.
For as much grief as Bottas gets, at least he’s doing what he needs to do which is rack up points and open up strategy options for the team. Perez is only racking up points but isn’t stopping Mercedes from having free reign on strategy. He was miles behind Bottas while Bottas was still close enough to Max to be a nuisance strategy wise.
Old 10 May 2021, 01:59 PM   #1451
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
It took Mercedes engineers exactly 2 races to figure out the 2021 regs and low rake car. I thought Portugal may have been a track dependent win for the Mercs, but today showed that they are just too fast for the Red Bulls on the harder compound tires. The only way for RBR to challenge the Mercs is on the softs or wet tires, but the moment they switch to the medium or hard compound, the Mercs are .7 sec. per lap faster.

The only reason today's race wasn't entirely boring is because Max got out in front of Lewis on turn 1 of lap 1 because Lewis could not pass Max even with DRS. Mercedes strategist really had nothing to lose as Lewis could not pass so why not make that 2nd pit stop and force RBR to either pit immediately or try to run to the end of the race.

Monaco is next on the calendar and Red Bull have a very good chance at a win there, but besides that tight track and perhaps Hungary and a street circuit here or there, the Mercedes has the clear advantage in race pace over long distances at this point. At what point with Red Bull stop developing the 2021 car and concentrate on 2022?

Driver of the day for me and perhaps the entire year so far, Charles LeClerc with a 4th and quietly doing a stellar job in the Ferrari.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:05 PM   #1452
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
But Mick is a better driver who faces team demotion if Papa Mazepin buys out Gene Haas ) as rumored…

Ugh
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 05:19 PM   #1453
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I don't follow F1 that much anymore. But Kimi Raikkonen is such an amazing guy.

It will be a sad day when he retires.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:22 PM   #1454
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good race this past weekend. Mercedes with Hamilton at the wheel is truly proving their brilliant talent this year.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 02:10 AM   #1455
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Saw a funny meme the other day. It said "Netflix is looking to do a "spinoff" of Drive to Survive starring Nico."

Another funny note was that he was voted 4th place as driver of the day. This actually happened though. HAHA.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 02:11 AM   #1456
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
I don't follow F1 that much anymore. But Kimi Raikkonen is such an amazing guy.

It will be a sad day when he retires.
Yeah, he just gets paid a shit ton now to drive a shitty car.
Old 11 May 2021, 02:47 AM   #1457
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Good race this past weekend. Mercedes with Hamilton at the wheel is truly proving their brilliant talent this year.
X2 ..and in previous years.
Red Bull/Max is giving them a run for the money for sure and finally some real competition. Should be interesting how the year pans out. Plus RB recent influx of X-Merc engineering group of people. Let's see how that works out..!
Also great to see some competition in the upper mid-field. Leclerc..etal.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 04:55 AM   #1458
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asloper6001 View Post
Yeah, he just gets paid a shit ton now to drive a shitty car.
I love Kimi's fun FB page. He's a great guy imho. As for pay, I'll defend driver's as what it takes mentally, physically, and talent-wise is NO easy feat! But yeah, him and Fernando are f__cked. Soooo much talent there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
X2 ..and in previous years.
Red Bull/Max is giving them a run for the money for sure and finally some real competition. Should be interesting how the year pans out. Plus RB recent influx of X-Merc engineering group of people. Let's see how that works out..!
Also great to see some competition in the upper mid-field. Leclerc..etal.
Yup yup! Without a doubt it is the best driver/car AND team strategy that is winning races. Red Bull has promise for sure once they.... Yet WOW their pit stop times are INSANE fast!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:56 AM   #1459
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Holy crap Mazespin is slow
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:07 AM   #1460
Mifune
Banned

^ Brother... ANY of these 'pack' guys, no matter how slow they are in comparison to the top tier teams/drivers, would blow your doors off the track any day of the week.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:10 AM   #1461
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
LH has traditionally been full of... 'mistakes', despite his success over these last few years. throwing away a championship by running into the pit lane wall (many years ago)... running into the back of Kimi in Canada at pit lane exit for no reason other than not paying attention... and there have been many more 'oopsidodles' in his career.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:08 AM   #1462
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
LH has traditionally been full of... 'mistakes', despite his success over these last few years. throwing away a championship by running into the pit lane wall (many years ago)... running into the back of Kimi in Canada at pit lane exit for no reason other than not paying attention... and there have been many more 'oopsidodles' in his career.
Ha, another lewis hater. That's what you take away from his rookie year, not what an incredible season he had, almost won the championship, and with the double world champion as his team mate.

All drivers have made mistakes, comes with the terrority.

Shall leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAsVO4YiFU
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 07:51 AM   #1463
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Ha, another lewis hater. That's what you take away from his rookie year, not what an incredible season he had, almost won the championship
Spot on !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:00 AM   #1464
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ha, another lewis hater. That's what you take away from his rookie year, not what an incredible season he had, almost won the championship, and with the double world champion as his team mate.

Shall leave this here

like you said everyone makes mistakes but lewis is the last driver you say is full of them lol, the guy constantly proves that he doesn't crack under pressure. shit happens sometimes and it happens to everyone
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 03:08 PM   #1465
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Shall leave this here

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
like you said everyone makes mistakes but lewis is the last driver you say is full of them lol, the guy constantly proves that he doesn't crack under pressure. shit happens sometimes and it happens to everyone
I mean the dude has SEVEN wdc trophies and broke more records than any other driver, some that will likely remain unobtainable at least for the next several decades....now he's going for eight.
Regardless of any oopsies, I think Lewis is on that Tom Brady level, and I say all this as a person who doesn't really like him too much. But damn, he's good. Facts.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 09:44 AM   #1466
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210516-140314_Messenger.jpg (193.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 17 May 2021, 10:25 AM   #1467
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Only watched the highlights, but great to see Grosjean on pole and on the podium after the accident.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 10:30 AM   #1468
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:

.He's never gonna live that down...just like Andrea de Cesaris.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:32 PM   #1469
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Old 17 May 2021, 12:39 PM   #1470
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Can’t wait for Monaco. Two years waiting.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote