The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2017, 09:04 AM   #1
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,Sub,Speedy
Investing in precious metals - Coins v Bars

Hi all,

Need advice!

Im currently investing in Bitcoins / cryptocurrency and once ive made a certain amount I wanted to invest some of that into actual physical investment like precious metals gold and silver.

Ive tried doing research in the past about investing in coins or bars. What are your thoughts?

Theres too many diff coins; maples, eagles, britannia etc. which one holds value longer? if all the same... which one is best to go for... which ones easy to sell at a later stage?

As im in UK I was hoping to use bullion by post, but not sure what to go for!!

m-abz-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 09:12 AM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
i like gold buffalos which are the most pure usa gold coin minted.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 09:18 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Be careful with bars and make sure you purchase from a reputable seller. A lot of bars online are fake, especially eBay.
Old 28 November 2017, 09:39 AM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
If you invested in Bitcoin early on, many congrats... almost 10k per, today.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 06:18 PM   #5
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
[QUOTE=THC;8071289]If you invested in Bitcoin early on, many congrats... almost 10k per, today.[/QU OTE]

I bought two in vegas a years ago for novelty thinking it would under and sell them on ebay in a decade....... never dreamed it be this good.....

ps my wife got pissed at me that day for wasting money ....now they are hers
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Ally9
Banned

Britannia's for me - I guess from a tax standpoint it depends on where you live
Ally9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 07:04 PM   #7
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
krugerrand's! Be a rebel!

Mr Bond, I suppose you wouldn't care to... um... raise the limit?
I have no objections. Looks like you're out to get me.
It's an idea, at that.
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Short answer- NO and NO!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 01:04 AM   #9
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

I got on the bitcoin craze late , only started few months back. :(

Most of mines are tied up in cryptos now.

In regards to the coins its down to personal preference? I was thinking Britannia myself.
Anyone tried selling their coins? easy to sell?

I would only buy from known websites definitely not ebay!

Ive come across afew websites where they do limited edition silver coins.. worth a look ? or stay away and stick to the standard ones?
Old 29 November 2017, 02:25 AM   #10
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Though not pure, Gold Eagles are the most recognizable worldwide. Kreugerrands are also credible, worldwide. Coins are VERY easy sell.....just as if they were currency (which they are, but I don't want to start that argument.) As far as limited edition coins or standard, it all depends on why you're buying.
IMG_08661.jpg
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:28 AM   #11
tng11
"TRF" Member

Canadian Maple Leafs are probably the gold standard (no pun intended) for pure gold coins. They are extremely liquid - I've bought and sold many over the years in different countries around the world, and the trading spreads on them are relatively low for gold coins. The new ones also have some pretty sophisticated anti-forgery features - a lot of dealers are equipped with readers that scan a "DNA" indicator on the front and transmits them back to the Mint for authentication.

I have a couple not necessarily for investment purposes, but because they're pretty.

I am also a fan of Australian Kangaroos - again not for investment purposes, but because of their different and collectable designs year by year. Chinese Pandas also have beautiful designs, but are less liquid in my experience and tend to carry higher premiums when buying.

One downside of going with the pure .9999 coins is that they scratch easily. The Gold Maple Leafs I buy are all individually sealed (not by the Mint) to protect the finish, and Kangaroos come encapsulated in a plastic capsule to preserve the finish. With American Eagles or Krugerrands, I used to have no issue handling them without any packaging or stacking them.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:35 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

I have a couple not necessarily for investment purposes, but because they're pretty.

I am also a fan of Australian Kangaroos - again not for investment purposes, but because of their different and collectable designs year by year. Chinese Pandas also have beautiful designs, but are less liquid in my experience and tend to carry higher premiums when buying.
If you're into collectables, check out the Australian Lunar series based on the Chinese calendar. Some of them have high premiums, but they sure are cool.

....and yes, Maple Leafs are cool.
Old 29 November 2017, 03:11 AM   #13
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Why hold the physical asset that has very little liquidity? Just buy the ETF.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 03:13 AM   #14
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Why hold the physical asset that has very little liquidity? Just buy the ETF.
Little liquidity?
Old 29 November 2017, 03:16 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Canadian Maple Leafs are probably the gold standard (no pun intended) for pure gold coins. They are extremely liquid - I've bought and sold many over the years in different countries around the world, and the trading spreads on them are relatively low for gold coins. The new ones also have some pretty sophisticated anti-forgery features - a lot of dealers are equipped with readers that scan a "DNA" indicator on the front and transmits them back to the Mint for authentication.

One downside of going with the pure .9999 coins is that they scratch easily. The Gold Maple Leafs I buy are all individually sealed (not by the Mint) to protect the finish, and Kangaroos come encapsulated in a plastic capsule to preserve the finish. With American Eagles or Krugerrands, I used to have no issue handling them without any packaging or stacking them.
Would you say that it's a good way to start with investing? Buying gold coins seems like an easy way would like to get into it once I start working after my school/internship.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 03:20 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have some American Eagles in a safe, easy to purchase and sell if necessary
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 03:26 AM   #17
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

So if they scratch up do they decrease in value (even by the slightest) ?

So with the Kruggerand these are less likely to scratch up compared to maples or Britannia?

I wouldnt even know what a 'collectible' is, unless the website states there is limited edition lol

Anyone invested in silver recently? I've been told ... not sure if its true... but because the dollar is decreasing in value, people have been investing in gold recently and will start to invest more in silver?? (Or along them lines but silver will be in demand soon aswell)
Old 29 November 2017, 03:31 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-abz-t View Post
So if they scratch up do they decrease in value (even by the slightest) ?

So with the Kruggerand these are less likely to scratch up compared to maples or Britannia?

I wouldnt even know what a 'collectible' is, unless the website states there is limited edition lol

Anyone invested in silver recently? I've been told ... not sure if its true... but because the dollar is decreasing in value, people have been investing in gold recently and will start to invest more in silver?? (Or along them lines but silver will be in demand soon aswell)
What are your goals?
Old 29 November 2017, 03:51 AM   #19
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Little liquidity?
Yes, who are you going to sell these hard assets to at current market rates? Also need to consider cost of insurance for storage purposes if you are holding any considerable value.

That is what makes an ETF of whatever underlying precious metal the better option. Easily convertible into cash at current rates, and no real costs to hold the investment other than a few basis points for the expense ratio of whatever ETF you chose..
Old 29 November 2017, 05:17 AM   #20
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

Pickettt Its just for investment purpose.

Im trying to make what I can from bitcoins or cryptocurrency (not that its much .. as ive only started) and when I do use the profits I wanted to invest in something physical ... other than watches. So next best thing I can think of is coins / bars (gold and silver).

If I can earn enough id obviously invest in property and other things on bigger scale.... still nowhere near that! lol

In the past ive spent abit on jewellery like platinum rings and diamond rings... but I think ive prob wasted money on them. Also wouldnt mind keeping hold of things for my kids aswell when they grow up...something to pass along other than watches.
Old 29 November 2017, 05:26 AM   #21
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Would you say that it's a good way to start with investing? Buying gold coins seems like an easy way would like to get into it once I start working after my school/internship.
I think if you want to actually invest or speculate on gold, you're better with an ETF. The trading spreads are a lot lower than physical coins, no need for storage space, and they are more liquid in that you can buy/sell virtually, while coins might involve going to the bank or a coin dealer and going through a whole process. Bars are even worse - if they're not stamped by a well-known assayer, it's possible the bank/dealer will delay payment on it until it's verified, and you'll get a lower price too.

For me, I buy gold coins for no other reason than I think they're pretty and a backup of a backup cash source.

If you do scratch them, it might diminish their value, and some banks or dealers might not take them at their market value. When I sold a bunch of Gold Maple Leafs to a bank in Hong Kong years ago, they basically went over every single one with a loupe, and rejected ones that had the tiniest of flaws (this bank however, pays over spot price for GMLs, and their trading spread is less than 0.25% each way.) I ended up having to sell the lightly scratched ones to another bank for slightly less than spot.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:48 AM   #22
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pickettt Its just for investment purpose.

Im trying to make what I can from bitcoins or cryptocurrency (not that its much .. as ive only started) and when I do use the profits I wanted to invest in something physical ... other than watches. So next best thing I can think of is coins / bars (gold and silver).

If I can earn enough id obviously invest in property and other things on bigger scale.... still nowhere near that! lol
In that case, I would advise against PM. We all have our reasons for what we do. Personally, I'm hedging against inflation. If you're looking for an appreciating asset, try something else. Though if you time it right, it COULD pay off.
Old 29 November 2017, 06:11 AM   #23
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

Can you recommend anything else? I dont expect PM to shoot up in price or even go much in price anytime soon anyways.

At the moment im putting my savings into cryptocurrencys but wont be surprised if that slows down in the near future and maybe legislations on it. hmm so thinking of plan B with whatever I have.
Old 30 November 2017, 04:21 AM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Yes, who are you going to sell these hard assets to at current market rates?
The dealer that sold them to me.

They always buy a current spot and sell spot +4%
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 07:19 AM   #25
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
I have used Atkinsons in the past - https://atkinsonsbullion.com/

I found their prices and service to be good but things may have changed since I last had money to spend on things other than children :(
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 12:00 AM   #26
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

I dislike Metals, but if you are inclined. APMEX I had a great transaction selling too.

Modern Coin Mart (slow shipping sometimes) but always delivered.
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 12:23 AM   #27
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Bars, but they are as easy to get in Thailand as McDonalds. The gold shops are in every mall and most busy streets. The gold is 24 carat, 96.5% pure and comes from 1 baht weight up to 50 baht. (1 baht of gold is 19,750B or about $600)

This is a 5 baht piece.
https://imgur.com/a/Viada
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 12:29 AM   #28
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund. VGPMX

Might be a nice way for a small portion of your investments.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 03:47 AM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Can you recommend anything else? I dont expect PM to shoot up in price or even go much in price anytime soon anyways.

At the moment im putting my savings into cryptocurrencys but wont be surprised if that slows down in the near future and maybe legislations on it. hmm so thinking of plan B with whatever I have.
I commend your bold strategy!
Old 1 December 2017, 02:43 PM   #30
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
The dealer that sold them to me.

They always buy a current spot and sell spot +4%
A 4% vig is ridiculous. But if it works for you that’s all that matters

Tags
bullion , coins , gold , metal , silver