The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2018, 06:32 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Submariner Help

I think it's time I added a Submariner to my happy gathering. I've had lots of different Rolex models over the last four years but somehow never a Sub. I think it's time. I'm not going to buy it anytime soon because I'm just so torn between models. I want to take my time and try them all on at an AD. Problem is (as is well documented in several posts) there are no Hulks to try on. I'm certainly not going to pay above MSRP, so that might rule the Hulk out. But I have it down to these three:

Submariner with date
Hulk
Blusey

I know there's no wrong answer here and they are all amazing in their own right. But as much as possible I'd love some insight from the experts on here. In particular if someone's owned all three of them. If so, which one gets the most wrist time.

Thanks,

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 06:38 AM   #2
JacksonStone
Banned

Assuming you're talking about all six-digit models (and that Sub Date means the 116610LN), then - as you know - there is no functional difference between them. Therefore, cost considerations aside, it all comes down to aesthetic preference, which makes the decision completely subjective. All three are classics in their own right, and have things to recommend them. The Hulk is unique and, in its way, mystical (although I personally find the dial more alluring than the bezel that surrounds it); the Bluesy is one of the sharpest looking color combos Rolex makes; and the black dial SS is sharp in the extreme, and will go with anything. The SS models have BCLs; the Bluesy has PCLs.

Per my own preferences, I find the black Sub Date to be the classic diver, and even the classic watch. As much as I might covet the other two at times (and also the Smurf), the black Sub is it for me. I would take it over any other watch by any manufacturer. It was my grail before I bought it, and my enthusiasm hasn't diminished since I acquired it.

That said, if Rolex ever were to release a Hulk in YG, I'd run, not walk, to get on the wait list.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 06:42 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You've got a couple of other black faced watches...I might suggest the LV-C or the bluesy.

Both favorites of mine. Bluesy if you're open to a little gold, and LV-C if you're not.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 06:45 AM   #4
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
You've got a couple of other black faced watches...I might suggest the LV-C or the bluesy.

Both favorites of mine. Bluesy if you're open to a little gold, and LV-C if you're not.
Good point. I didn't take the other watches into account. A little color could be a good thing, as much as I think the black Sub stands on its own.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 07:09 AM   #5
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Easy for me, The Black Sub (116610LN) is my grail and only wristwatch!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 08:53 AM   #6
RolexJames
"TRF" Member

Just try them on at a pre-owned shop even with no intention of buying. Quick and easy way to get up close and personal and can often be far less pretentious than some AD’s.
RolexJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blusey , hulk , submariner