The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2020, 07:46 AM   #61
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
As others have said, if you're buying a watch that was used chances are it will have scratches, all of my watches have scratches on the lugs from wear and use, even if you're exceptionally careful there is always a chance that a scratch will occur. I was super careful with my new BLRO and I still have a slight scratch on the top of the right lug, not sure how or when it happened but it is there.

To be fair, it is a bit less expensive than the other similar one which doesn't have a scratch (but has a slight nick it seems on the bottom of another lug)

With that said if you want a watch without scratches then keep looking for another one and get one with none that you notice or care as much about.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 08:18 AM   #62
Shan77
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t stop me, if the price is right go for it!
Shan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #63
tquieng
"TRF" Member

That can be removed very easily with fritz polish - using a cotton tip swab.
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:26 PM   #64
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
Hi! I'm looking into getting my first steel Daytona and have settled on the 116520 with black dial. I found the following which is in good condition (unpolished) with the older clasp and older lume color. The only thing is it has this single scratch on the top of the lug. What would y'all do here? Wait for a cleaner one to come? I don't mind scratches but would prefer to not get a watch with a scratch in an obvious place before even wearing it. I'm wondering if it's shallow enough to bough with cape code. Thanks!

It’s a non issue. Unless you want to pay the inflated NOS fee, take off the sticker and then get your own scratch before being leaving the store (they pick up swirls like mad-though I never minded that on mine). Most posted for sale are clearly touched up and almost prefect so if you want a clean example they are easy to find. I wore my Daytona doing anything and everything and wore it like a tool watch ad intended. If you plan to wear the thing, don’t worry about the scratch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:30 PM   #65
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
And the marks on the bezel?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:04 AM   #66
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
If it is really unpolished, that is just a superficial scratch and wouldn’t bother me at all.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:39 AM   #67
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I would assume any pre-owned watch at a grey dealer has been polished, no matter how it’s described on their website. No question that was a worse scratch that has been worked on.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:44 AM   #68
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I would assume any pre-owned watch at a grey dealer has been polished, no matter how it’s described on their website. No question that was a worse scratch that has been worked on.
Complete and utter nonsense its just a very very minuscule scratch that without high magnification you would hardly notice it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:51 AM   #69
ernie117
Banned

Watch: explorer1airking40
dude my watches all have little dings and dents it's bound to happen they are made to be worn
ernie117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:12 AM   #70
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Definitely don’t buy it, a scratch means you’re getting ripped off. Watchbuying 101.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:41 AM   #71
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Wouldn't bother me at all. If the price is right, I'd jump on it. Life isn't perfect.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #72
640ibimmerguy
"TRF" Member

Newbie here, quick question, everyone seems to prefer an unpolished Rolex. Any particular reason? Looking to buy my first (of hopefully many) soon and will probably buy a pre owned. Thanks
640ibimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:06 AM   #73
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Sad thing is I bet someone tried to already get that out by polishing (either the reseller or RSC). Maybe they already took some of it out and it still shows.
I would take the same side of that bet. Unless the original owner put the scratch in question in the first minutes of ownership and then left it in the safe, there is no way PCLs and clasp look like this without polishing.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #74
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Those who expect a watch to stay mint all the time probably never wear them.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:54 AM   #75
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
The scratch doesn't bother me if I were in the market. What does bother me is the fact that it's listed as "Unpolished" considering I am 99% sure it has been. It's from 2007, serviced by Rolex in 2019, its damn near flawless yet hasn't been polished? Sure thing. The bracelet and clasp look damn near mint.

I respect DavidSW and his reputation, but I dont think that listing is 100% honest.
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 03:58 AM   #76
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense its just a very very minuscule scratch that without high magnification you would hardly notice it.
Agree with padi....watch is legit unpolished....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 04:34 AM   #77
RCrusoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie117 View Post
dude my watches all have little dings and dents it's bound to happen they are made to be worn
Although my collection is in generally excellent condition, every watch I wear regularly has little dents/dings despite being very, very careful. I don't think it's possible to actually WEAR a watch and not get little marks on it over time.
RCrusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:17 AM   #78
nsguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks y'all. Does anyone know of any late model black 116520's for sale that are either in great quality or slightly polished? I've looked at watchbox and bob's and they're all polished. Maybe it's not worth looking for an unpolished example but it's also hard to tell how good the polishing is from photos.
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:58 AM   #79
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
looks good to me...how long have you been looking, is it a good price? Do you like it and can overlook it, then get it...if not...let it go.
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 07:56 AM   #80
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

If the price is right I would buy it and leave it. You have to understand that the pre-ceramic stainless steel Daytonas have a very large area of high polish finish which means swirls and scratches are easily noticeable and a certain occurrence when worn frequently.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116520 , advice sought