The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2020, 08:08 AM   #91
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Because you'll scratch/scuff the numbers right off the bezel within a month

then it's rip
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:50 AM   #92
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

Just a matter of money. And the fact that gold is harder to wear. A stainless Daytona is beautiful, but it doesn't give the same message as a gold rolex.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:22 AM   #93
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
To me, the TT GMT is gorgeous and just the right amount of bling. Love it.
Just put mine on this morning. Here's a weird observation...

The watch never looks "special" to me when I'm wearing it. BUT... when I see THE SAME REFERENCE on someone ELSE in the wild... it looks "WOW" to me.

Oddest thing.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:35 AM   #94
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Personally for me it would be versatility. Just not as versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:12 PM   #95
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
In my opinion, even though TT are not particularly popular among crazy people like most of us, they are actually quite popular among the general public (i.e. those people who have 1, or maybe 2 luxury watches and don't know what TRF is; i.e. the majority). I see a lot of TT on people's wrists every day (even nowadays when fewer people are around!). One can argue that people buy TT because of unavailability of SS, but regardless of the reason, they buy TT. If they didn't, Rolex wouldn't produce them! I think the added bling without the hefty price tag of full gold is appealing to many. And let's face it. If you see a watch you like in the flesh in TT (like the Daytona posted by the OP), you are probably going to love it. Period. Most TT haters have never seen a TT in real life. They just reproduce what they read online by others.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 12:41 PM   #96
pholzer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
This is about the most accurate post on the TT issue.

Ironically, of all my Rolex watches (BLNR, hulk and TT GMT black and YG), the hands down stunner that everyone loves is the TT GMT. This includes all generations from my mom and her friends to my associate in his mid forties to my young secretary who follows all the latest trends.

To me, the TT GMT is gorgeous and just the right amount of bling. Love it.

The TT GMT is a very nice piece, I also a fam.

pholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:01 PM   #97
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s until the present day. Also, watch brands adapted to this new reality by restricting the production of the “cheaper” SS variants which, when combined with consumer trends, made ss more desirable but, there were less of them. Back in the 90s and even more so in the 80s (4 digit daytona), Rolex couldn’t shift SS variants (Causing lower production) which, conversely, has made their lack of availability in the used market generate a higher price. On the flip side, tons of TTs were sold when they were popular, so the secondary market has a glut of these 90s pieces = common/less desirable. The secondary market affects the new market, meaning that TTs are easy to obtain which when then compounded with the change in consumer buying habits (wanting less flashy items in general), makes the TT undesirable on forums where hardened aficionados like us glean most of our opinions and consensus.

Previous posters allude to a scenario where SS were always (4 and 5 digit) really tough to obtain and thus always sought after. This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today. I was a real buyer in the 90s and I really bought a zenith Daytona. I really went to multiple ADs in Spain, US, France and UK and I really saw SS sitting there and I could have bought 10 or more of them on a heartbeat with zero issues. I bought the TT because that was what people wanted and, I would have probably bought the all YG had I not been in my 20s at the time and I didn’t have the money. I would not (back then) have bought the SS. Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? But, how could anyone have known that 20 or 30 years later YG would be deemed too flashy?

Anyhow, here are my two Daytona’s. A TT zenith bought new when they were hip and, the latest sought after piece due to today’s consumer preferences

Thank you so much for this wonderful read.. so interesting!!!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:17 PM   #98
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Because you'll scratch/scuff the numbers right off the bezel within a month

then it's rip
Yes, this. Ceramic requires just no care or attention and it still looks brand new.....I would hate having to worry about scratches (on gold nonetheless) knowing the numbers will start to rub off eventually and the replacement probably isn't cheap.

If they made a TT with ceramic bezel for the Daytona....ala GMT.....they would be ridiculously popular.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:24 PM   #99
amanbra
"TRF" Member

A lot of people don't like TT. I got one 116503 but, it's a bargain.

No the numbers do not scratch off in a month.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:53 PM   #100
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
"Ceramic" is a marketing hype to sell more watches. Get the watch that you see yourself living with for decades.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 11:13 PM   #101
Jetblack57
"TRF" Member

Personal preference I guess, but If I wanted that many buttons I would buy myself a decent Hi-fi.
Jetblack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:49 AM   #102
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Yes, this. Ceramic requires just no care or attention and it still looks brand new.....I would hate having to worry about scratches (on gold nonetheless) knowing the numbers will start to rub off eventually and the replacement probably isn't cheap.

If they made a TT with ceramic bezel for the Daytona....ala GMT.....they would be ridiculously popular.

I can see ceramic bezels on the TT Daytonas at some point.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 05:53 AM   #103
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I like TT. Going to buy my second TT Daytona this year.
Only other TTS I like are the true Bluesy and the Root Beer.
Talking vintage ones not new models.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 05:59 AM   #104
smiles11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
116500ln #1
smiles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 03:35 AM   #105
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue12 View Post
I turned one down as l found it very hard to read the time which defeats the object for me as sexy as it looks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Which one did you turn down— the TT white dial?
I’m contemplating one but if it’s harder to read than the SS 116500 version, then it would be a hard pass for me.

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:44 AM   #106
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrickles View Post
too loud for some, too quiet for others.

Beautiful machine! Imo
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 05:04 AM   #107
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I have never owned a two tone watch, but the white dial 116503 may be it. It find it interesting the last few years this has been the model given out to podium finishers at the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 05:18 AM   #108
JJW
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLK SS Daytona
I like TT's in virtually every Rolex model. I have a beautiful TT 16753 GMT that I love. My wife has a DJ TT white roman dial I like that also. I just don't like the look of the TT Daytona. It looks too blingy/fake to me. I hate watches with diamonds also.
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:41 AM   #109
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGET-MAN View Post
Curious why TRF members think the Daytona 2-tone watches are not popular? Obviously from pricing something is up.

Posted image example I grabbed off internet.

Thank you

M
I’ve got this exact watch in fact it’s my second time of having one as I sold my 1st one and regretted it for years then just got it again at the start of the year I love it
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:13 AM   #110
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I have never owned a two tone watch, but the white dial 116503 may be it. It find it interesting the last few years this has been the model given out to podium finishers at the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona.

I’m a big car/race car guy and I didn’t know this until I saw your post. Very interesting indeed.
I’m actually close to pulling the trigger on either the white or black dial 116503.
Leaning towards the wire for legibility.

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:57 AM   #111
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Why are these Daytona's not popular?

I don’t know but I could not get this dial any other way...

Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:09 AM   #112
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

Subconsciously people tend to be drawn to organisation and order over chaos and disorder; it’s an evolutionary predisposition that originated from a survival instinct. One or two tones are manageable / reconcilable to our vision. Introduce a third colour and things start to get messy, a forth, and it gets worse, a fifth and things get very chaotic. Most two tone Daytona’s have three bold colours being SS, G, and the dial colour. The PM & SS models have two bold standout colours being dial and metal. Therefore they are instinctively more attractive to most people. Even within the SS models the white dial is favoured as it’s creates less of a contrast to the SS than the black dial, thus making the white and SS less chaotic than the black and SS. If your personality type is draw to risk more so than the average person you’ll have less of an issue with the TT. However when this is played out over thousands of buyers the hypothesis can be seen to hold true.
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:17 AM   #113
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

because it is two tone with yellow gold.

If it was two tone with Rose gold, I'd think it would be much more popular. Rose gold is much easier to pull off, for wider range of skin tones, not to mention it just looks much better.

Yellow gold, to me, screams "ancient Egypt pharaoh" look. No thanks.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:28 AM   #114
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s until the present day. Also, watch brands adapted to this new reality by restricting the production of the “cheaper” SS variants which, when combined with consumer trends, made ss more desirable but, there were less of them. Back in the 90s and even more so in the 80s (4 digit daytona), Rolex couldn’t shift SS variants (Causing lower production) which, conversely, has made their lack of availability in the used market generate a higher price. On the flip side, tons of TTs were sold when they were popular, so the secondary market has a glut of these 90s pieces = common/less desirable. The secondary market affects the new market, meaning that TTs are easy to obtain which when then compounded with the change in consumer buying habits (wanting less flashy items in general), makes the TT undesirable on forums where hardened aficionados like us glean most of our opinions and consensus.

Previous posters allude to a scenario where SS were always (4 and 5 digit) really tough to obtain and thus always sought after. This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today. I was a real buyer in the 90s and I really bought a zenith Daytona. I really went to multiple ADs in Spain, US, France and UK and I really saw SS sitting there and I could have bought 10 or more of them on a heartbeat with zero issues. I bought the TT because that was what people wanted and, I would have probably bought the all YG had I not been in my 20s at the time and I didn’t have the money. I would not (back then) have bought the SS. Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? But, how could anyone have known that 20 or 30 years later YG would be deemed too flashy?

Anyhow, here are my two Daytona’s. A TT zenith bought new when they were hip and, the latest sought after piece due to today’s consumer preferences

Nice read; however.....

At the time of writing this post Chrono24 lists 10 TT Daytona’s with warranty card dates from 1990 to 1999. In comparison the SS Daytona has 339 (not to mention the 56 16520’s dates 2000 to 2010 which would have been sold in 2000) the numbers don’t support a huge popularity for the TT Daytona in the 1990’s.
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:38 AM   #115
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

S.S. is considered a Sports Watch
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:11 AM   #116
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
A smaller group of people are interested in two tone. Thats all, thats why less popular. If you like it buy it, don't worry that more people like and buy steel. Doesn't matter
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:20 AM   #117
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I like the two tone Bluesy and CHNR. I would prefer the SS Daytona or YG on oysterflex. To each his own...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #118
LDN
"TRF" Member

I am a TT LOVER! PM is more valuable than SS, look is a matter
of preference!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 910EF656-121C-45AD-9159-1BD390A82BDC.jpeg (91.1 KB, 173 views)
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:49 AM   #119
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Why is Stainless more popular? 1) at MSRP it costs less than TT Daytonas. 2) At MSRP all Rolex Stainless watches cost less than TT Rolex watches. 3) People in general want greatest quality at the lowest possible cost. There is no quality difference in general between SS and any other metal used in Rolex manufacturing. ie. buy stainless.

A trend is established to buy stainless. Thoughtless lemmings all leap off the cliff believing stainless is better. It is a self perpetuating cycle of watch buyers wanting SS at any cost as that is the "in thing." It results in greater costs on the secondary market to buy stainless as opposed to something with precious metal in it.

IMHO justification for buying stainless over TT watches and paying exorbitant prices are pretty much BS unless there is some religious rule prohibiting wearing precious metals; these do exist.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:55 AM   #120
TellingTime
Banned

TT Rolex’s are the most underrated/valued watches. They are at bargain prices today.....not sure they will remain low forever.
TellingTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opinions , survey