The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 December 2020, 08:57 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
“Entry level” Patek, what would you recommend?

Greetings to all you PP owners My first ever post in this forum, although I will admit to being a lurker for quite a while. I love Rolex, but fantasize about obtaining a Patek.. someday. My question is which model would you say is the typical first PP for a new buyer? If we were talking Rolex to me it would be an easy choice, for dress: The DJ For sport: The Sub. For Patek, I am thinking one of the Nautilus models would be a good first to purchase, but not knowing that much about the brand could be way off (?).

What would you owners suggest is the best-first model?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:02 AM   #2
7sins
"TRF" Member

Depends on what your budget is?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:05 AM   #3
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Budget is a big factor. If you’re looking for a classic Patek, I’d suggest a 5196. It’s going to be timeless and will probably be a collectible due to its low production. If you have more money, one of the annual calendars would be great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I bought a blue dial 5711 as my first Patek. Such a nice and versatile piece. I think any Nautilus or Aquanaut would be a great first Patek. Unfortunately, these are super hard to get retail.

For dressy watches, I like the 5196p and any of the annual calendars.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:21 AM   #5
woowoo
Banned

One of their dress watches. Calatrava or Annual Calendar depending on budget. Despite the hype around Aquanaut (past owner) and Nautilus, other brands make better sport watches. Use PP to add diversity to a collection, not the brand if you want to add another sports watch. my 2 cents. Cheers.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:37 AM   #6
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Just bought my first PP as well and went with the 5726 on strap. You can pick these up for around $10k-$20k over msrp which is pretty good considering some of the premiums the other models are getting on secondary now. Wanted a moon phase complication on a sporty piece which none of my other watches had and Rolex doesn't offer (aside from Cellini). Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

p.s. unlike Rolex (where there's a slim chance), there's literally no chance of getting an aquanaut or Nautilus from an AD as your first purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.jpg (102.7 KB, 2472 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.jpg (98.8 KB, 2481 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088_1_50.jpg (253.8 KB, 2468 views)
soxfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:38 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

One would want to recommend the 5167A for a sports watch but it'll be next to impossible to get at retail. Any 5196 would be a great first Patek dress piece if you can live with the small movement. If you don't mind going preowned there are lots of other Calatrava options such as 5107, 5127, or 5296. My first Patek was a preowned 3998P Calatrava and my first new Patek was a 5711 blue.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Lots of beautiful pieces out there. The right choice completely depends on the budget...
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 10:06 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Paul, I did this...

Classic Calatrava 36 mm dress watch.
Lots of choices if you’re aiming at pre-owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 10:08 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Nautilus is an easy choice but the limited availability the grey prices make the purchase less appealing.

My recommendation would be a Patek dress watch... why...?

Many options are selling below msrp.
You already have a rolex as a perfectly suited sports watch.
There are some beautiful options for good value.

Calatrava classics manual wind.
5940 37mm PC with auto movement(my personal choice)
Pilot watch if you prefer larger watches. (5524?)
Old 31 December 2020, 10:23 AM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have the same watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Paul, I did this...

Classic Calatrava 36 mm dress watch.
Lots of choices if you’re aim is pre-owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mine was new, but they don’t make these any more. Guarantee you it looks sharp in person!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 10:52 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Hey Paul, hope you're well and nice to see you here.

Not trying to be critical as I understand the hype/sign of the times....but entering into the Patek arena thinking about the Nautilus/stainless sports as your first watch probably isn't the best representation of the brand nor the most realistic unless you're willing to pony up the premium/know someone on the inside.

Feel free to chat me up and we can talk about it, but in short I'd think you should be looking at their dress watches and if you can save up for one, their perpetual calendars.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 11:45 AM   #13
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I recently made the move from rolex (largely vintage) to PP. My recommendation would be to get a complication like a perpetual calendar if your budget permits.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 01:17 PM   #14
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What about a 5227?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 01:19 PM   #15
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Paul, my 2 cents.

Nautilus is a wonderful design at MSRP. But not at the market premiums common today.

In addition — Patek is about dress watches in its core DNA. So, as a first Patek, I would suggest a “purist” approach.

My first one was a 3738, and for me this was a highly sentimental entree to Patek Philippe — but that model would be a wildly unpopular recommendation for most on this forum.

Depending on budget, and your appetite for new vs. pre-owned, there are so many great choices. From the 5227 to the 3940, 5320, 5940, and (maybe another uncommon suggestion) the 7234. If you are looking for chronos then I would go ALS before Patek (1815 or Dato pre-up/down).

Can you help us narrow down — price point? Intended use? And new vs. used?
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 01:20 PM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it’s going to be a while (unless I win the lottery) before I can join the PP group, but I congratulate all of you on incredible watches!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 02:12 PM   #17
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xalate View Post
Budget is a big factor. If you’re looking for a classic Patek, I’d suggest a 5196. It’s going to be timeless and will probably be a collectible due to its low production. If you have more money, one of the annual calendars would be great too.

I would have thought overall the 5196 (standard calatrava in general) on the men’s watch side is the highest produced compared to the other models in the Patek line?

Anyone have an insight on what total production numbers are on a modern calatrava (like the 5296 from the past) or modern annual calendar/perpetual calendar before they reach their lifecycle / become discontinued?

For the OP, the Nautilus and Aquanaut are probably the most popular models right now and most resembles (if not exceeds) the coveted steel Rolex sports models in terms of popularity. Depending on your budget I would venture into an annual calendar than pay the premium on the steel sport Pateks. But if money was no object, I would personally go for a Nautilus model. Calatravas are beautiful watches but it’s always harder to jump in to a dress piece if your exposure has always been sportier Rolex models.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 02:31 PM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
1) 5196 (any metal)
2) 5227 (any metal)
3) 5205R (black dial) - a crowd pleaser
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 06:36 PM   #19
Tavi
"TRF" Member

I started my journey in the PP world with a 2nd hand 5227j which I absolutely love.
Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 08:07 PM   #20
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I would have thought overall the 5196 (standard calatrava in general) on the men’s watch side is the highest produced compared to the other models in the Patek line?
Debatable. While the 5196 has been in production for quite a while, I don’t think many were made as the 215 PS movement is unique to just this model in their current collection. My dealer said there’s not much demand for this piece (understandable), but it wasn’t easy for him to source one either cause they just don’t make many of them.

Patek, like any production pipeline, is probably bottlenecked on the number of movements made. They can pump out 324 and 240 base movements all day. Most are used in nautilus, aquanauts, complications and grand complications - basically most Patek pieces. Can’t say the same for the minute repeaters, CH-29 chrono and maybe the 215 PS in the 5196.

Anyway, buy what you like! Movements and collectability aside, the 5196 is quite timeless PP anyway :)

0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 08:15 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it’s going to be a while (unless I win the lottery) before I can join the PP group, but I congratulate all of you on incredible watches!
One idea to make the PP thing happen quicker is to sell your non-pure sport Rolex and other watches and buy a PP as your dressier piece, a Calatrava of your choice. A sports PP will take ages to get if you want it at retail, like a Daytona on acid.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 08:31 PM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
What about a 5227?
+1. The 5227 is a superb Calatrava and has a hunter case back that is more enjoyable than most complications. Everything about this watch, larger size, legibility, availability, case color options, makes it a perfect watch for dress or casual.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 08:53 PM   #23
Tavi
"TRF" Member

Just so right. It’s basic but at the same time it’s got so much to discover. The classics never go out of style.

Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 12:26 AM   #24
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Pre-owned 5227. I believe a trusted seller has (or recently had) a 2020 5227j for ~$26k. MSRP is ~$37k. I echo what others have said - timeless piece. And, with this discount, hard to do better.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 12:48 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
5524G Paul. Its a pilots watch with a very intuitive travel time function and it's available without a premium...for now.
Old 1 January 2021, 12:50 AM   #26
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
to me it has to be the 5167. i just cant stand leather straps as the primary strap. i would go to an ad, put a deposit down and wait the years until my name was called.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 01:25 AM   #27
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN

I'd look at the 5146 annual calendar.

Here's why:
  • Secondary market they are in the mid $2Xs. Significantly less than the retail of $47310.
  • It's attainable.
  • It's 39mm - so coming from Rolex where they wear larger this will be a good stepping stone into dress watches.
  • I think you can wear this piece both casually and formally - strap changes make all the difference.

This would be my vote - yes of course a Nautilus or Aquanaut would be fantastic but only at retail which for the majority isn't going to happen on a first purchase.

I'm getting ready to do some consolidation and the 5146 is on my radar...

Not my pics - sorry for not giving credit to the owner but:

Old 1 January 2021, 07:12 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would look at a used Calatrava for pure Patek Philippe. If you can swing an AC or PC, even better. I would totally avoid the SS sports line, unless available at retail from an AD. Rolex really is the way to go for a rugged sports watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 07:23 AM   #29
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
to me it has to be the 5167. i just cant stand leather straps as the primary strap. i would go to an ad, put a deposit down and wait the years until my name was called.
Agree
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 07:41 AM   #30
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Problem here is that your name will most likely never get called...