The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 February 2021, 11:51 PM   #1
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

GS White Birch ! SLGH005

Damn... they keep killing it!!

I can't wait to see this one on the flesh....

00AGS.jpg

00AGS1.jpg

I just wonder if I can justify this and the snowflake...
Old 13 February 2021, 11:55 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I love everything about it except the price (yikes!) and “80 HOURS” on the dial.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 12:38 AM   #3
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Great looking watch. I would also like to see this one in person.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 01:01 AM   #4
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
HiBeat 80 hours at 36.000 vph. Damn that’s impressive. Would like to see the dial in person too.

How much is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 01:12 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Very creative!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 01:47 AM   #6
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
HiBeat 80 hours at 36.000 vph. Damn that’s impressive. Would like to see the dial in person too.

How much is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9,100 usd
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 02:23 AM   #7
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Grand Seiko is on a very good path to eat parts of Rolex‘s and other Swiss Watchmaker‘s lunch!

It‘s quite refreshing to see the company to following the main goal:
Make the best and most beautiful watches and a product that the customer really wants!

I am so tired to whiteness all the market manipulation play that is being done by Rolex and Patek who find it smart to ignore the customer demand in favor to what they think is „right“ for their brand. Hope that this will fall on their feet one day and this sooner than later!

The White Birch and the new movement are evidence how dead serious Seiko are and if it did not happen already, some people in Switzerland should start to fear the competition.

I hope that they will soon present a modified buckle/bracelet for easy micro adjustment.

The White Birch is absolutely gorgeous!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 02:28 AM   #8
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Love the brushing on the bezel
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 02:34 AM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Gorgeous. That dial is killer
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 07:03 AM   #10
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

These new Series 9 hi-beat pieces are amazing. I have the SLGH003 and the new case dimensions have fixed the single biggest issue I had with GS in the past - the thickness.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 07:11 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
These new Series 9 hi-beat pieces are amazing. I have the SLGH003 and the new case dimensions have fixed the single biggest issue I had with GS in the past - the thickness.
Agree about the thickness. Happy this is being addressed
Old 14 February 2021, 08:35 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Agree about the thickness. Happy this is being addressed
I've heard this complaint before and I never understood it. Most GS models (non quartz) are in the 13mm ballpark for thickness, some a little more and some a little less, with the GMT models on the thicker side. In fact, some of the models are very thin, such as the SBGK00 series, which are 11.6 mm. (I own the SBGK005.)

The thickness seems the roughly the same, on average, as many brands, including Rolex (the 41mm Sub is just under 13mm). And there are many well-known brands, including IWC and Breitling, that sell much thicker watches. The classic Navitmer is 14.6mm thick, for example.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:04 AM   #13
Trog
Banned

I like everything about it, but I can do without the "80 hours" on the dial.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:34 AM   #14
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Wow-that dial is amazing! If I didn’t have the SLGH003, I would go for it. I can’t wait to see it in person!
Old 14 February 2021, 01:48 PM   #15
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
Very cool new release. SLGH003 and SLGH005 case / bracelet designs are both excellent additions to the Grand Seiko line-up.
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 02:58 PM   #16
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Like the case, movement, size. Don’t like the text on dial, logo on case back, bracelet
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 03:27 PM   #17
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

GS continues to perfect its game. I predict in the years ahead the brand will finally become known to mainstream consumers (like Rolex & Omega are now) and not just the watch community. Lots of potential for more editions to become high-demand collectibles. Many already are. I spoke to the manager of a GS boutique a couple weeks ago. They’re having trouble keeping up with demand for certain references. Waiting lists are the norm.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:34 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
A great looking watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:08 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Wow-that dial is amazing! If I didn’t have the SLGH003, I would go for it. I can’t wait to see it in person!
I’m considering double dipping, what’s wrong with me
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:34 AM   #20
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I feel like no matter how much hand craftsmanship goes into these it still looks like a cheaper Seiko with the kinda tacky logos and text and non tapered lower end bracelets. I feel like they need to let Seiko be Seiko and make grand Seiko more classy and elegant with more thoughtful designs
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:59 AM   #21
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I feel like no matter how much hand craftsmanship goes into these it still looks like a cheaper Seiko with the kinda tacky logos and text and non tapered lower end bracelets. I feel like they need to let Seiko be Seiko and make grand Seiko more classy and elegant with more thoughtful designs

Have you considered the movement or looked at the dial, indexes, case and lugs? All of which are streets ahead of any comparatively priced Rolex OP/DJ or Omega? Or is your comment focused on the “Seiko” in the name “Grand Seiko”?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:14 AM   #22
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I kind of agree actually. Not just for Seiko, but most companies. The dial should be clean. Grand Seiko applying their GS logo and then writing Grand Seiko underneath... why? It's duplicate and unnecessary.

Apply your logo and state where it's made if you have to. Everything else, beat rate, movement technology, chronometre statues, etc, leave off the dial.

Again, this goes for Rolex, Omega, etc too. I already know the specs, I bought the watch. Never once have I been wearing my GMT and looked down and thought, "ah it IS a superlative chronometer...I forgot for a second. Thank goodness it's right there on the dial."

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:15 AM   #23
77T

The sculpted dial, bi-finished bezel, high beat rate and 80 hr PR is impressive.

The creative energy in the GS brand is flowing strong. A signal to other, boastful brands that “we are here at the gates”. GS may capture the high ground in some home markets outside Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:35 AM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Agree. I think GS have clearly surpassed Omega, Tudor, Breitling and Panerai. Not sure they will ever overtake Rolex, but they are a major player in that elevated space now.

This does though make me wish they brought back the King Seiko name. GS has moved so far upmarket that there is a giant gap between Seiko and GS offerings. They need something to fill that Tudor/Omega space that GS once occupied before they went upmarket.

Old 15 February 2021, 02:49 AM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I kind of agree actually. Not just for Seiko, but most companies. The dial should be clean. Grand Seiko applying their GS logo and then writing Grand Seiko underneath... why? It's duplicate and unnecessary.

Apply your logo and state where it's made if you have to. Everything else, beat rate, movement technology, chronometre statues, etc, leave off the dial.

Again, this goes for Rolex, Omega, etc too. I already know the specs, I bought the watch. Never once have I been wearing my GMT and looked down and thought, "ah it IS a superlative chronometer...I forgot for a second. Thank goodness it's right there on the dial."
This is why you are a moser guy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:52 AM   #26
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This is why you are a moser guy
I was writing that with my Moser on my wrist. I was about to cite them as an example.

Old 15 February 2021, 04:32 AM   #27
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
It looks amazing, cant wait to see some real photos ��
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 05:11 AM   #28
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Have you actually worn or even held a Grand Seiko? There's nothing cheap or tacky about them, especially in the flesh.

Design elements are subjective in many cases (for example, I don't like the Spring Drive meters on dials), but the level of quality/craftsmanship of these timepieces is above reproach.

The fit, finish, feel, weight, lustre etc .... is amazing. And some of the dials are among the most beautiful, innovative and interesting in the industry.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 05:33 AM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I've heard this complaint before and I never understood it. Most GS models (non quartz) are in the 13mm ballpark for thickness, some a little more and some a little less, with the GMT models on the thicker side. In fact, some of the models are very thin, such as the SBGK00 series, which are 11.6 mm. (I own the SBGK005.)

The thickness seems the roughly the same, on average, as many brands, including Rolex (the 41mm Sub is just under 13mm). And there are many well-known brands, including IWC and Breitling, that sell much thicker watches. The classic Navitmer is 14.6mm thick, for example.

Thickness of 13mm is sea dweller/sports watch thickness imho.

GS can be a bit sporty but leans toward dress...thinner the better to me.

Finishing is top notch (arguably better than my patek) combined with controlling thickness the GS could compete with serious dress watches.

As far as the other brands also being thick, I believe this is their greatest shortcoming.

Your SBGK005 is a great looking watch. I have a SBG?253 time only that is on the thinner side but could be thinner.
Old 15 February 2021, 05:48 AM   #30
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agree. I think GS have clearly surpassed Omega, Tudor, Breitling and Panerai. Not sure they will ever overtake Rolex, but they are a major player in that elevated space now.

This does though make me wish they brought back the King Seiko name. GS has moved so far upmarket that there is a giant gap between Seiko and GS offerings. They need something to fill that Tudor/Omega space that GS once occupied before they went upmarket.

An interesting thought you shared there. Made me go looking.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the...of-grand-seiko

I learned something I hadn’t known previously - the intense competitive drive that produced the brand we now know. Seiko watches were originally produced by two different subsidiaries.

Daini Seikosha Co and Suwa Seikosha Co. Two different companies vying for leadership - most women's watches were made at Daini in those days. Most men's watches were produced at Suwa.

The First Generation GS -- 1960/8 by Suwa Seikosha Co., 25jewels, manual wind, 3180 -- 18,000bph.

The First King Seiko --1964/09 by Daini Seikosha Co., 27jewels, manual wind, 4420B -- 18,000bph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote