The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2021, 09:38 PM   #31
Goin2drt
Banned

To actually use the chrono? Omega. Easiest to read.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 09:41 PM   #32
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

AP doesn’t belong in this category. Well above in terms of finishing. Crazy that grey market price is similar.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 09:42 PM   #33
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

That AP is tiny. So I would go with the Daytona.
10XRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 09:44 PM   #34
A971
"TRF" Member

I own the 116500, and just got the call the 26315ST is in and I can pick it up this week. Pretty pumped for my first AP incoming.

I do like white dials, and to me there is enough variation that I’m very happy to own both the ROC and the Daytona.

The Ed White never for a moment entered my mind. I own one Omega- the FOIS at 39.7mm. It is an amazing watch, and comes in at a much lower price point. I respect the passion that people have for the variations on the Speedy... but man I could just care less, and I have to admit that I really just don’t get it.

In my opinion the 116500 and 26315 are both very far ahead of the speedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:02 PM   #35
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
That AP is tiny. So I would go with the Daytona.

I think these two watches wear very similarly.

Daytona wears much closer to the ROC 38mm than a 41mm.

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:03 PM   #36
Frnkbonz
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the view of everyone. The people who posted their reasoning are great, since we all have different or similar views on items. At the end of the day.... the white daytona always drew me in.... but at that price point, I have to look at other watches in that range and ask myself if the daytona is still worth it (I wish I was ready to buy when it was trading at 22-23k). When it past that point of 23k....it became harder and harder to justify pulling the trigger. I have to admit... I do like the AP....but the maintenance cost is crazy. The omega has a beautiful case back, but I’m wearing the watch and not staring at it 95% of the time. I have time to think, unless I decide to trade and mix things up. Keep the opinions coming, love the viewpoints... I learn more and more with people and their experiences.

Frnkbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:04 PM   #37
just1time
"TRF" Member

AP hands down
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:08 PM   #38
Frnkbonz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Three fine but very different watches. They all tell you the time and have a chronograph, but apart from those shared functions, their form and backstory are distinct.

Visually, the AP and the Daytona, which share white dials, have a certain dazzle to their appearance. The AP has a distinctly different case shape and a dash of blue in the subdials, while the Daytona is crisp...white and black. The Omega is the consummate “tool watch”...literally an astronaut’s watch...and its appearance reflects its no nonsense, “professional” origin.

The AP, a brand I’ve no personal experience with, is a connoisseur’s choice, especially in terms of the movement. The Daytona an elegant sports watch, associated with racing and Paul Newman. It is refined yet. A handsome, dashing watch.

The Omega, too, is for the connoisseur, both for watch aficionados who revere the recreated 321 movement and those fascinated by the history of the early days of manned space flight. Yet, in appearance, it is the familiar Speedmaster, despite the nuances of the “dot over 90”, the ceramic bezel, case dimensions, the applied logo and stepped dial. At a glance, it’s still that familiar workhorse Speedmaster.

I have gone on about the look of the watches and their individual flavor, their character, as I see it. Each watch represents something quite different.

Apart from appearance, perhaps consider what these watches represent to you. Do you connect more with one than another? I don’t just mean the looks, but the character of the watch.

As to my personal preference, I confess the AP interests me not at all. Don’t care for its appearance, primarily due to the case shape. I’m sure it’s a magnificent watch, but it evokes a ‘70s styling that might make some hearts sing, but leaves mine silent.

The Daytona is a beauty. I happen to own that particular watch, so obviously I like it. My only complaint is that the subdials can be a bit hard to read when using the chronograph. Mind you, it’s an improvement from the silver subdials of its immediate predecessor, but if you really plan on using the chronograph, bear that in mind. (I’ll bet the AP is easier to read!)

The Omega Speedmaster Professional is near and dear to me. My dad bought one in the early ‘70s. I’ve been hooked on watches ever since. I eventually bought the “First Omega in Space”, which actually fits me better due to the lack of crown guard (like the Ed White).

The Ed White appeals to me very strongly. Its history, both in outer space and horology, are compelling. I’ve a sentimental feeling about the that line of Speedmasters.

So, for me it’s a choice between Daytona and Speedmaster, between show horse and work horse. And, that’s no easy choice! Both appeal to me, in different ways.

The Daytona secondary market prices are a deal breaker for me. If I was buying, I’d be down at the Omega boutique in L.A., rekindle my relationship with them, and try to get the Ed White that way. And, if that was a no go, and I didn’t already have my Dad’s Speedmaster and that FOIS, I’d just buy their new Speedmaster Professional and embrace its new movement and subtle design attributes. And, save a few dollars at the same time!

Long answer, sorry. But, the point of it isn’t to make a case for what you should buy, but to lay out my own process of elimination. Sort out what the watches mean to you and take it from there. These three must mean something to you..of all the world’s chronographs, these three drew you the most and leave you somewhat torn, at least enough to ask our thoughts.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love your thought process.. I have similar thoughts (except the AP... Im drawn to the watch visually). Its tough because I always look at chrono’s and like them, but generally buy a watch less crowded on the dial and more simple. However, I feel I should have 1 in the collection as a watch to switch up to.

Old 14 February 2021, 10:33 PM   #39
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Which Chrono would you choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frnkbonz View Post
Love your thought process.. I have similar thoughts (except the AP... Im drawn to the watch visually). Its tough because I always look at chrono’s and like them, but generally buy a watch less crowded on the dial and more simple. However, I feel I should have 1 in the collection as a watch to switch up to.

There is something about a chronograph! For me, from a collection standpoint, the three quintessential pieces are the Daytona, Speedmaster and Breitling Navitimer.

Breitling did a great job with a recreation of its 1959 Navitimer. A limited edition. The First Omega in Space has been discontinued, I believe. Probably to not upstage the much more expensive Ed White. Great watch.

If you simply want a classic chronograph in your collection, and for a little variety, give some thought to the new Omega Speedmaster Professional, with the new 3861 movement. You have a choice of crystal, and other options. I’m sure it will be a great watch, the next chapter in the Speedmaster story, but a direct descendant of all the 1960s watches. And, should be readily accessible, and at the 21st century’s idea of a discount: MSRP.

You can get the AP or the Daytona later, if they still draw you, as I suspect they will.

If I had fourteen grand lying around to burn, I do think I’d go for the Ed White. Speaking of...here’s a photo of Ed White’s Speedmaster. I took this at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum a few years ago:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:41 PM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Grey pricing? The AP.

MSRP? Daytona.

Speedy? 3861 over Ed White (the premium is lost on me).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:46 PM   #41
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Grey pricing? The AP.

MSRP? Daytona.

Speedy? 3861 over Ed White (the premium is lost on me).

Complex thinking at its finest!
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:51 PM   #42
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Complex thinking at its finest!

Have a nice and relaxing Sunday my friend.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:53 PM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m honestly excited to see the Zenith Chronomaster
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:56 PM   #44
Frnkbonz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m honestly excited to see the Zenith Chronomaster

Thats nice too! Only thing im worried about the other chronos is that they are not screw down pushers. Knowing that, the other watches are wear around the pool with caution vs the daytona.

Old 14 February 2021, 10:56 PM   #45
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Daytona.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:00 PM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frnkbonz View Post
Thats nice too! Only thing im worried about the other chronos is that they are not screw down pushers. Knowing that, the other watches are wear around the pool with caution vs the daytona.

Agreed, but arguably they are easier to use

I believe the Zenith is also rated at 100m

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:16 PM   #47
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I wonder how many voting here had a chance to look at the 321 closely. It is a very special piece - not for everyone, but that's why they only make ~1000 or so per year. I would not pay $10-20k over MSRP for the AP or Daytona (or the 321).

Gratuitous cal 321 pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cal321.jpg (108.5 KB, 118 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:26 PM   #48
TRS1
"TRF" Member

116500ln!
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:33 PM   #49
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Have a nice and relaxing Sunday my friend.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:47 PM   #50
Frnkbonz
"TRF" Member

Which Chrono would you choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Agreed, but arguably they are easier to use

I believe the Zenith is also rated at 100m

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Yes. However, one of those pushers get tapped underwater.. game over. Water rating doesn’t matter in that scenario, plus i think 99.9% of us only go under 4-6ft with our watches on lol. 50-100m is Gimmick marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkr
Old 15 February 2021, 12:25 AM   #51
Moka-Tiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: The 1 on my wrist
Leaving the mechanics and polishing aside, as far as the overall design/looks are concerned, the Daytona is far above IMO. I love (and have) an AP, but not chronograph. And while that AP dial is a "panda", the color combo seems a little "loud" for me. But acquiring an AP RO of any sort is definitely worth pursuing.

Also worth considering is which would make a good addition to your collection?
Omega? No comment.
Moka-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:25 AM   #52
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
AP all day.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:36 AM   #53
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
116500LN > EW321 >> AP

Obv. will get some bias as this is TRF, but the Daytona is simply the best in terms of overall fit with the best bracelet and clasp, in my opinion... it deserves the hype status. I think the Ed White is a close 2nd, that watch also comes with a great bracelet, and has beautiful finishing and a great history combined with an incredible dial.

The AP does nothing for me. Also, I personally hate integrated bracelets.

This! Exactly my point of view!
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:37 AM   #54
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
AP by an absolute mile and not a fair contest.
You’re comparing two mid tier mass produced brands against a piece of genuine high horology.

Clown
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:48 AM   #55
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Ive owned them all over the years (or variants), and I think each of them can have a place in a collection. All great watches. For me, the AP just takes it. The ROC is just such a delight to wear and that bracelet is the class of sport watches imho. Good luck.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:51 AM   #56
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Daytona but in black.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 01:01 AM   #57
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
None of the above. I'm happy with my Carrera Day Date and the only watch that that will replace it, or more likely join it, is the new El Primero Chronomaster Sport. Each to our own. Buy the one you want.
This. If I were in the market for a chronograph it would be the new Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Sport. MSRP $10 k, but discounted for less. Date window between 4:00 and 5:00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Sport.jpg (44.4 KB, 99 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 01:08 AM   #58
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
AP by an absolute mile and not a fair contest.
You’re comparing two mid tier mass produced brands against a piece of genuine high horology.
Disagree. Just because AP is part of the Holy Trinity doesn’t mean the design is more appealing. The OP’s suggested 38mm AP model wears very small, which is odd because APs usually wear bigger. (I’ve tried it on several times and passed at a chance to purchase at retail.) And that crooked date window that looks shoe-horned between the hour markers kills the dial for me.

Omega makes too many Speedy re-dos and varieties for me to get excited over the Ed White.

I vote Daytona!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 01:21 AM   #59
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Not my favorite chronos but having owned some version of each of those lines the AP takes the cake.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 02:13 AM   #60
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Daytona and AP.

What is this omega people keeping mentioning?

Tags
survey , wwyc