The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 7 April 2021, 10:40 PM   #1
smg8
Banned

Considering a Chronomat 42 Panda - help please!

Hello Forummers,

My first time posting in a long while, and first time ever in the Breitling section!

I have had an on off interest in watches the past few years - far too much buying and selling etc like others I am sure.

Without wanting to waffle, if I can give some context to my post;

I started with a PAM 312 and since then have had a BLNR (x 2), AP Royal Oak Chrono, Patek Aquanaut, GMT Master, Omega Seamaster, Bi Metal Sub, Bi Metal Daytona, Royal Oak 15300 and I think that's it (not all at the same time, but over the last 6/7 years).

I had a collection of 3 last year but sold my Patek Aquanaut and Royal Oak Chrono, simply put I didn't enjoy wearing them as much as my GMT Master. I think the price point makes these things a bit hard to wear carefree, in the way I can my Rolex.

I "replaced" the Patek with an Omega Seamaster (blue dial, rubber strap). When I say replaced of course nowhere near a like for like, but in terms of a casual rubber strap summer holiday/beach watch it does that job. I love it and wear it far more than I ever did the Aquanaut.

I have had my GMT Master a while (5 years+) and it's going nowhere, it has real sentimental value.

So I have a "slot" open for a Chrono which I want to add, and was initially looking at the Omega Speedmaster (ideally looking for something in the £5k type bracket as I know I will enjoy something like that more than the AP). But from nowhere the 42mm Chronomat has appeared on my radar and it looks amazing!

I haven't tried one on (stores don't reopen here until next week) but would be very interested to know;

1. Are there many owners here? Any thoughts at all?
2. What kind of discount can be achieved, from googling around it looks like 17% - 20%?
3. Is the strap/bracelet interchangeable? Is there a leather strap option for example?

It looks stunning, for some reason the bulk and understated flashiness of it make me think of a full fat Range Rover. Proper high end luxury choice.

I like the panda dial particularly, but would welcome any wrist shots from owners!

With thanks in advance for any help/inputs!

smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I own the silver dial Breitling Chronomat B01 42mm. It's not quite a true "panda" dial but close enough as the subdials are black. To give you some context of my experience; I own most Rolex sport models, four IWCs, and I also own an Omega Speedmaster. I had previously owned a two tone Breitling Navitimer but sold it many years ago when I began to fall out of love with the direction of the brand (overpolished pieces that were way too big). Ever since Kern has taken the helm at Breitling, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the direction he is taking. It has only been reinforced by their most recent releases in the Premier line.

I purchased the Chronomat at a considerable discount late last year; between 5-6k USD from a grey dealer. It is very good looking, robust. It wears a little bit larger than 42mm, but nothing like the oversized pieces Breitling has put out in recent years. The finish is outstanding, there is nothing else like the bracelet on the market, and it is an excellent all purpose, everyday chronograph. It is not the icon that the Speedmaster or Daytona are, but compared to the Speedmaster (which has a similar price point), the Chronomat has a far better finish.

I find myself wearing my Chronomat very often (though I also wear my Speedmaster and Pilot Chronograph Top Gun frequently as well). You can remove the bracelet and fit any 22mm strap to the case. Breitling offers numerous OEM rubber and leather straps that would work really well. I would be remiss not to mention that the bracelet was 50% of my motivation to purchase the reference. While you can certainly swap it out, it's one of the largest selling points for the piece. It's really what makes it unique aside from the rider tabs and bullet crown.

The only downsides to the watch (in my opinion) are that the bezel is polished and can scratch easily and that the bracelet lacks microadjustment. It does come with a half link, but even then the pin/tube/links are relatively large and removal of one link or even half link can drastically change the size of the bracelet. Good luck.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:26 AM   #3
smg8
Banned

Thank you for your reply Ravager, very helpful intel.

I have to admit I'd never really "got" Breitling previously, but saw the Chronomat come up and have watched some videos on the Premier too and both look lovely. It does seem they have taken a new direction under the new CEO.

I have no interest in messing about sucking up to AD's to buy Rolex/AP/Patek - been there and done that and it has totally put me off the brands, selling a bit of your soul to buy a watch isn't for me, hence looking elsewhere and I am really pleased that alongside Omega, Breitling have some really interesting options.

I am a bit of an OCD guy, bezel scratches is what put me off wearing my Aquanaut too much so that's helpful context (and why I enjoy my 2 x ceramic bezel watches I currently own). That being said I think I'd be less bothered on something in this price bracket if I can say so, versus the Aquanaut which is hard to scratch when you know it's worth twice what you paid for it.

Please may I ask how it compares to your Speedmaster and if you find certain occasions leave you reaching for one over the other etc? Seeing these are the 2 main options I am looking at getting input from someone with both is incredibly useful.

Thanks again.
Old 8 April 2021, 03:36 AM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Thank you for your reply Ravager, very helpful intel.

I have to admit I'd never really "got" Breitling previously, but saw the Chronomat come up and have watched some videos on the Premier too and both look lovely. It does seem they have taken a new direction under the new CEO.

I have no interest in messing about sucking up to AD's to buy Rolex/AP/Patek - been there and done that and it has totally put me off the brands, selling a bit of your soul to buy a watch isn't for me, hence looking elsewhere and I am really pleased that alongside Omega, Breitling have some really interesting options.

I am a bit of an OCD guy, bezel scratches is what put me off wearing my Aquanaut too much so that's helpful context (and why I enjoy my 2 x ceramic bezel watches I currently own). That being said I think I'd be less bothered on something in this price bracket if I can say so, versus the Aquanaut which is hard to scratch when you know it's worth twice what you paid for it.

Please may I ask how it compares to your Speedmaster and if you find certain occasions leave you reaching for one over the other etc? Seeing these are the 2 main options I am looking at getting input from someone with both is incredibly useful.

Thanks again.
Sure! My Speedmaster is the classic Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I have the hesalite crystal version. To be honest, I got it as a value proposition and I couldn't be happier. It's the best bang for your buck watch that I own. I have never owned AP or PP, but I have owned Rolex and I must say that the Omega Speedmaster Professional definitely is a step below in terms of finish. It definitely feels "cheaper," but that's also part of its charm. I wear the Speedmaster around the house, doing chores, etc...

The Chronomat feels way more comparable to Rolex in terms of finish. It's more robust, it's thicker. The bullet bracelet reeks of quality. I think Rolex makes the best bracelets on the market, and Breitling is a very close second. The Chronomat is more impressive in its presentation too. I wear it as a daily wearer, but moreso when I want to be a little more flashy. While I did list the polished bezel as a drawback, it does add some attention to the piece which is otherwise mostly brushed. The Chronomat also has the date, but it's at 6 o'clock and disappears to add symmetry, but is there when you need it. I'll be honest, I like the Chronomat so much, I am thinking about replacing my sold Navitimer with brand new one.

If I could distill your decision making process the best I could, I would ask myself what kind of daily wearer chrono do you want? Do you want one you can beat the hell out of and not care because it's not terribly expensive and has great value proposition or do you want one that you can wear everyday, won't need to baby it like your AP/PP pieces, but still know it will garner respect and stand out a bit for what it is. I think the Chronomat is a sleeper chrono and I own a chronograph from most of Breitling's peers. Like I said, I like it so much, I'm giving the whole brand another look for additional pieces.

I am with you on my disgust with Rolex at the moment. I speak from a position of priviledge since I bought most of my professional models before the shortages we are seeing now. To be honest, I have more or less everything I want from the brand, but I would have bought another if I didn't have wait years or pay way over MSRP. I moved on to IWC and have been very happy with the Portugieser and Pilot models I have purchased. I am now looking at expanding my Breitling collection in the same manner. I know you are set on a chrono, but I briefly owned a modern blue dial Omega Seamaster 300 (ceramic dial and bezel) and I regret selling it. That's also on my list.
Old 8 April 2021, 05:01 AM   #5
smg8
Banned

Thank you once more ravager, really helpful to get your insights (seems we have similar tastes). It’s all a bit speculative in so much as I could try both on and immediately fall for one or the other, but I think from what you’ve said and research so far the Chronomat seems a great option.

What you’ve said about the finish probably aligns to what I thought, and certainly to look at (pictures, videos so far) the Chronomat does look a bit more expensively finished/flash/special/however we want to put it.

It feels the more natural fit. I always had my very small collection in my head as;

Daily - GMT Master. It’s scratched and battered and I honestly don’t mind on this. It feels like it’s meant to get used! I’d be loathed to get it polished

Holiday/casual - was the aquanaut but always felt too expensive to use for this purpose so that was sold and is now the blue dial ceramic bezel rubber strap seamaster. Love it, a great watch.

Evening/client meeting/occasion - was my Royal Oak Chrono which I sold, and it’s this slot I have

From my feeling so far the chronomat would be a better fit here, as you say it doesn’t need babying but stands out a bit. I feel the speed master would perhaps be competing for daily or holiday wear in the context of above.

Anyway I am overthinking it (damn the shops being closed), one will sing to me when I try it on hopefully in the next 2 weeks. But thanks again for taking the time to reply and share your experiences, I shall report back when the decision is finalised. You have also prompted me to explore the IWC range one more time before ruling those out.

Cheers!
Old 8 April 2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Thank you once more ravager, really helpful to get your insights (seems we have similar tastes). It’s all a bit speculative in so much as I could try both on and immediately fall for one or the other, but I think from what you’ve said and research so far the Chronomat seems a great option.

What you’ve said about the finish probably aligns to what I thought, and certainly to look at (pictures, videos so far) the Chronomat does look a bit more expensively finished/flash/special/however we want to put it.

It feels the more natural fit. I always had my very small collection in my head as;

Daily - GMT Master. It’s scratched and battered and I honestly don’t mind on this. It feels like it’s meant to get used! I’d be loathed to get it polished

Holiday/casual - was the aquanaut but always felt too expensive to use for this purpose so that was sold and is now the blue dial ceramic bezel rubber strap seamaster. Love it, a great watch.

Evening/client meeting/occasion - was my Royal Oak Chrono which I sold, and it’s this slot I have

From my feeling so far the chronomat would be a better fit here, as you say it doesn’t need babying but stands out a bit. I feel the speed master would perhaps be competing for daily or holiday wear in the context of above.

Anyway I am overthinking it (damn the shops being closed), one will sing to me when I try it on hopefully in the next 2 weeks. But thanks again for taking the time to reply and share your experiences, I shall report back when the decision is finalised. You have also prompted me to explore the IWC range one more time before ruling those out.

Cheers!
Come back and let me know what you go with or PM me. You are absolutely correct in that you may try one one and just fall in love. From what you have told me above, I think the Breitling is a better fit. It certainly isn't as delicate as a Royal Oak or Aquanaut, but it has similar flair in terms of presentation (if that makes any sense).