The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2021, 02:17 AM   #1
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
King Seiko Limited Edition SJE083

Anyone check out this LE King Seiko?

What's everyones thoughts?

I don't know much about King Seiko, but I definitely appreciate Grand Seiko.

Love the medallion back, and appreciate that Seiko actually numbers their limited editions, unlike some companies.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/jour...aign=hod-posts
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 03:18 AM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but is a little small for my 7.5-7.75 inch wrist and the price at $3300 is a little steep.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:28 AM   #3
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Vintage King Seiko 44s are incredible (I have a few). This release is a bit meh. Too thick, date, unregulated movement... I thought about it but passed.

Funny Hodinkee are shouting about it now they’re a dealer when it was released a few months ago.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 10:49 AM   #4
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
The price isn't cheap by any means, but I did order one, and it should arrive in May.

I have always wanted a near perfect condition vintage Seiko like this, and didn't really see one on Ebay that I liked or felt comfortable with ordering sight unseen.

People are ordering them. I had to talk to three AD's before one could offer me one for delivery in 1-2 months. One said they probably wouldn't get anymore. Another said maybe in a few months. The 3rd offered me delivery in April/May (ordered early April).

No discounts either.

Most AD's are being offered a max 5 pc allocation by Seiko, with some of the larger ones getting 15, or at least so I have heard.
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 04:27 AM   #5
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I have mixed feelings about this release. I have an example of the "original" 44 KS that this one is based on, and its design is incredible. It's possible that it might be my favorite overall designed watch in my collection of Swiss, German, and Japanese watches. Vintage examples can be found in good to excellent condition without too much trouble and at a price point half or less than this new anniversary model. My vintage 44 KS is the only non-Rolex watch that has gotten recognition by staff when worn to a Rolex boutique.

That being said, the design of this new one is very faithful to the original (except for the date function, for example) and would be an absolutely incredible addition to any collection. Although it is a bit pricey, it has that special design sauce that many other watches today lack IMO, and for that in a modern package, may be very well worth it. If you're going to get one, get it now while still at retail. Once they all sell out, I don't think they will be re-sold for less than retail. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 08:53 AM   #6
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
I have mixed feelings about this release. I have an example of the "original" 44 KS that this one is based on, and its design is incredible. It's possible that it might be my favorite overall designed watch in my collection of Swiss, German, and Japanese watches. Vintage examples can be found in good to excellent condition without too much trouble and at a price point half or less than this new anniversary model. My vintage 44 KS is the only non-Rolex watch that has gotten recognition by staff when worn to a Rolex boutique.

That being said, the design of this new one is very faithful to the original (except for the date function, for example) and would be an absolutely incredible addition to any collection. Although it is a bit pricey, it has that special design sauce that many other watches today lack IMO, and for that in a modern package, may be very well worth it. If you're going to get one, get it now while still at retail. Once they all sell out, I don't think they will be re-sold for less than retail. Best wishes
I hear you on this. It would have been nice to get this for about 25% lower price, but at the end of the day, I have been eyeing a watch like this for a long time now. Vintage or modern release, I just don't think there is anything else like this in the market. I really appreciate the "box crystal" design.
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 10:49 AM   #7
FoolioABC
"TRF" Member

Pretty cool nostalgic release of a classic from their catalogue. Agree with everyone complaining about the date, though. The price is quite steep, as well.
FoolioABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 12:55 PM   #8
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Saw it in person and passed. Cool watch, didn’t sing to me at all, especially at the price.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2021, 03:08 PM   #9
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Nice watch, I read about it last year. The Seiko enthusiasts are luke warm on it, mostly because of adding the date function, and of course, the price is a bit of a sting.
I’m attending a Seiko sponsored event next month, hosted by a great local AD, hopefully they will have one on hand.
Old 13 December 2023, 01:38 PM   #10
asiafish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss GV
My regular AD let me know that they had a few of these at clearance pricing of $2200, down from $3300 list. I offered them $1700 and they accepted. Brand new for just barely over half price.

The watch is stunning in person, especially a more casual strap or Milanese mesh.
asiafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 12:26 AM   #11
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Nice watch but not for me
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote