The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 May 2021, 11:07 PM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Looks really good there, the uber modern date font takes a bit of getting used to.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 03:27 AM   #32
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Here are a few more pics of it, under less harsh lighting. At times, it is easily mistaken for a blue dial.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:16 AM   #33
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
My local AD happened to have one (sadly, just for display). They will have a tough time having to choose who to sell these to...

I just cannot see why people care so much about this watch.
It's just so....... so...... so........... 'meh.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 05:02 AM   #34
Mokhoori
"TRF" Member

Any know where i can find vacheron overseas chocolate dial? Ive been looking for some time now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mokhoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 05:53 AM   #35
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
At its original price point, it is one of the best watches from Patek Philippe. At its made-up price, there are a lot of better watches out there.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:54 AM   #36
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Meh, maybe, but it will be THE watch to own and be seen wearing and those who don't have one will be feeling the vacancy in their lives. Of the serious watch aficionados out there, 50% will be experiencing that emptiness, 49% will try to convince themselves they don't and 1% will be fulfilled, until the next big thing comes along.
I wonder how many collectors will trade their exotic dial 6263s and other PN Daytonas for a green dial 5711. Seems like a more than equitable trade, after all, does anyone get hopped up anymore when they see a Paul Newman?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 09:08 AM   #37
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Meh, maybe, but it will be THE watch to own and be seen wearing and those who don't have one will be feeling the vacancy in their lives. Of the serious watch aficionados out there, 50% will be experiencing that emptiness, 49% will try to convince themselves they don't and 1% will be fulfilled, until the next big thing comes along.
I wonder how many collectors will trade their exotic dial 6263s and other PN Daytonas for a green dial 5711. Seems like a more than equitable trade, after all, does anyone get hopped up anymore when they see a Paul Newman?
Paul Newman over 5711 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I like the 5711 but in terms of breaking boundaries for price and notoriety, the words Rolex, Daytona and Paul Newman are really unmatched. And the Daytona is a chronograph while the 5711 is a time and date only watch.
Old 6 May 2021, 07:11 PM   #38
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Paul Newman over 5711 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I like the 5711 but in terms of breaking boundaries for price and notoriety, the words Rolex, Daytona and Paul Newman are really unmatched. And the Daytona is a chronograph while the 5711 is a time and date only watch.
I didn't mean to offend by comparing a PN Daytona to a Patek 5711. And you're right, there is no comparison. The manual wind PN Daytona was a mass marketed watch with a ubiquitous movement which is rare today only because it was so unpopular when it was in production. My point of comparison is the delusional popularity of both the vintage Daytona and the PP 5711 in today's market and to point out that a nice condition exotic dial 6263 could be traded straight across for a green dial 5711 (once they hit the secondary market) by anyone who already has a few and wants to diversify.
It's like selling AMZN to fund buying TSLA. You sell an old overpriced asset to buy a new overpriced asset but you don't care because you paid nothing for it 10 years ago.

Last edited by cascavel; 6 May 2021 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Added more wisdom.
Old 6 May 2021, 07:29 PM   #39
liljctl
"TRF" Member

AMZN!

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:29 PM   #40
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend by comparing a PN Daytona to a Patek 5711. And you're right, there is no comparison. The manual wind PN Daytona was a mass marketed watch with a ubiquitous movement which is rare today only because it was so unpopular when it was in production. My point of comparison is the delusional popularity of both the vintage Daytona and the PP 5711 in today's market and to point out that a nice condition exotic dial 6263 could be traded straight across for a green dial 5711 (once they hit the secondary market) by anyone who already has a few and wants to diversify.
It's like selling AMZN to fund buying TSLA. You sell an old overpriced asset to buy a new overpriced asset but you don't care because you paid nothing for it 10 years ago.
Don’t worry man! No offence taken!
It was just a friendly discussion about PN Daytona vs the 5711. Isn’t what this forum is for?
Old 7 May 2021, 12:06 AM   #41
llngoc
"TRF" Member

My AD told me that he is getting two and will go to the two people on his list who were waiting for the blue dial before the discontinuation. Fair game.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:53 AM   #42
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
My AD told me that he is getting two and will go to the two people on his list who were waiting for the blue dial before the discontinuation. Fair game.
This actually seems very fair!
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 06:22 AM   #43
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
This actually seems very fair!
Agreed very fair.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 12:56 PM   #44
David001
Banned

Quote:
According to the experts there is no list
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 06:11 PM   #45
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
That sounds pretty nice but I believe that even at your very friendly AD the real VIP customers are not waiting for a blue 5711 as they already own it.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 11:18 PM   #46
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have a hard time believing this. If true, maybe the last great honest AD
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #47
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
Quote:
Could not agree more.

Tulip bulbs etc.

Do I like the watch in isolation? It's ok. A bit bland.

As much as I love PP, the hype surrounding the brand has gone completely out of hands, this watch is the epitome of it all.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:32 AM   #48
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I would give him the benefit of the doubt as I only asked about it out of curiosity and I already expressed to him that I am not interested before I post the question so there is not much reason for him to make up the story. And he did offer me a spot for the 5711a before the discontinuation news and I was told I would be the 3rd person in line but I declined as I already have one. So the number does add up.
Old 8 May 2021, 03:32 AM   #49
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
It's gratifying to know I'm not the only skeptic.
Old 8 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #50
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you’re a real collector, trading a PN for a 5711 is a terrible play. Now trading a 5711 for a PN, i love that move!

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 08:10 AM   #51
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
If you’re a real collector, trading a PN for a 5711 is a terrible play. Now trading a 5711 for a PN, i love that move!

Ooh, that's interesting. So you're saying that the 5711 isn't for real collectors? Are any of the Nautilii for real collectors? The 3700, 3710, 3711, 5800, 5980, none of them?
The PN seems, to me at least, like nothing more than an interesting and more rare version of a nicely made chronograph from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, without a known designer and unrooted from any romantic history, unlike the Rolex 1665 or, say, the OSP.
Don't the 5711 and the PN Daytona share a similar niche; insanely expensive by virtue of popularity with a monied set of buyers?
Old 8 May 2021, 12:07 PM   #52
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ooh, that's interesting. So you're saying that the 5711 isn't for real collectors? Are any of the Nautilii for real collectors? The 3700, 3710, 3711, 5800, 5980, none of them?
The PN seems, to me at least, like nothing more than an interesting and more rare version of a nicely made chronograph from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, without a known designer and unrooted from any romantic history, unlike the Rolex 1665 or, say, the OSP.
Don't the 5711 and the PN Daytona share a similar niche; insanely expensive by virtue of popularity with a monied set of buyers?

No no, not at all. I just think given the choice between the two, the PN is higher on the collector scale IMO.

I love patek, i think the 5711/5712 are maybe the best looking sport watches ever made. They are incredible. But, the PN is a completely different level. You have the survival factor, there just are not that many out there. The collectibility, there is an argument that the PN Daytona started the collecting phase.

The 5711, as unbelievable as it is, is a production stainless patek. While insanely limited, it’s not as limited as the Newman’s out there. The Newman is a piece of history. I do absolutely agree, both the 5711 and PNs are for a very niche group of buyers. I wish i fit in that group!

I would rather spend $100,000 on a 5711 than spend 35k on a stainless Daytona however. At least patek is producing stainless sport watches as a very limited number.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:58 PM   #53
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
No no, not at all. I just think given the choice between the two, the PN is higher on the collector scale IMO.

I love patek, i think the 5711/5712 are maybe the best looking sport watches ever made. They are incredible. But, the PN is a completely different level. You have the survival factor, there just are not that many out there. The collectibility, there is an argument that the PN Daytona started the collecting phase.

The 5711, as unbelievable as it is, is a production stainless patek. While insanely limited, it’s not as limited as the Newman’s out there. The Newman is a piece of history. I do absolutely agree, both the 5711 and PNs are for a very niche group of buyers. I wish i fit in that group!

I would rather spend $100,000 on a 5711 than spend 35k on a stainless Daytona however. At least patek is producing stainless sport watches as a very limited number.

Thanks, well put.
Old 8 May 2021, 07:25 PM   #54
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At its original price point, it is one of the best watches from Patek Philippe. At its made-up price, there are a lot of better watches out there.
Agree
Keanuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:53 PM   #55
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Or houses...

Quote:
Personally, I just don't love the color, but aside from some blues, I don't really like "color" dials; I'm a shades-of-black-white-silver kinda guy. Offered any modern 5711, and I'd pick the white. However, I think there's something to be said in terms of collectability for the "final" 5711 run (particularly when it's being announced as such).

Quote:
Very classy move right there. And I tend to believe that, largely because there would have been better lies to tell had he wanted to.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 05:03 AM   #56
iamrichard
"TRF" Member

What are these selling for?
iamrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:00 AM   #57
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Or houses...

Personally, I just don't love the color, but aside from some blues, I don't really like "color" dials; I'm a shades-of-black-white-silver kinda guy. Offered any modern 5711, and I'd pick the white. However, I think there's something to be said in terms of collectability for the "final" 5711 run (particularly when it's being announced as such).

Very classy move right there. And I tend to believe that, largely because there would have been better lies to tell had he wanted to.
Another reason I believe in him is that I am on his list for a 2023 5740 delivery and I was concerned what would be my recourse if Patek discontinue the 5740 before delivery. His answer was: if that happens, I can have my pick of any model in the lineup. So I think he is genuine and as you said, it is not worth it for him to make up stories like that. He could have told me that those are going to his top customers and it would have been a good answer already. (And no one can argue against that) He is in the business of building long term relationship so making up stories would be counter productive.
Old 10 May 2021, 04:09 AM   #58
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another reason I believe in him is that I am on his list for a 2023 5740 delivery and I was concerned what would be my recourse if Patek discontinue the 5740 before delivery. His answer was: if that happens, I can have my pick of any model in the lineup. So I think he is genuine and as you said, it is not worth it for him to make up stories like that. He could have told me that those are going to his top customers and it would have been a good answer already. (And no one can argue against that) He is in the business of building long term relationship so making up stories would be counter productive.
Though I think if I was one of the big spenders at that AD I would be slightly pissed as I'm sure the top few spenders at the AD would want the green dial 5711, won't they?
Old 10 May 2021, 04:57 AM   #59
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Though I think if I was one of the big spenders at that AD I would be slightly pissed as I'm sure the top few spenders at the AD would want the green dial 5711, won't they?
If you have already spend $XXXXXX to bundle a blue 5711/1a with a grand complication, would you be upset if the green dial is going to someone else?

Even for a big spender, entitlement can only go so far. Also, for a real collector, they may be more interested in the application pieces vs an IG watch.
Old 10 May 2021, 05:09 AM   #60
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you have already spend $XXXXXX to bundle a blue 5711/1a with a grand complication, would you be upset if the green dial is going to someone else?

Even for a big spender, entitlement can only go so far. Also, for a real collector, they may be more interested in the application pieces vs an IG watch.
Ermm.. I'm not talking about those who bundle though as those already got what they wanted. I'm talking about those who purchased multiple watches over a span of 10-20 years and have a bunch of nautilus such as some of the fellow TRF members here. What if their AD said No to them and rather allocate the final year green dial to the next 2 in line? Im sure they would be wondering why they didn't get the nod for the 5711....

It's fair from the AD's point of view but I'm just seeing it from the perspective of long term collectors.