The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 April 2021, 04:50 AM   #1
Jusgliding
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date SS
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

I recently purchase an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 43.5 . I was tired of waiting on my Rolex dealer to come up with a Stainless sub for me. Wouldn't you know about 5 days after getting the Omega I got the call that he had a Stainless Sub for me. I was sick. Not really sold on the Omega. It was big and heavy. I had to pass on the Sub because I am not one for going into debt. I know I could have made a few bucks on the sub to offset the 4500 I paid for my Omega, but I didn't do it knowing I probably wouldn't get another crack at a Rolex for retail vs the large mark ups I am seeing.

I'm on the list for the next Sub to hit the door. My point here is The Omega is growing on me. Its a pretty darn nice watch for the money. I suppose I can have 2 watches of the same look?? But you can only wear one at a time! The question is I now have the 10k needed to buy the Rolex when it hits the door. Would you part with another 10k or be happy with 1. I know most have 5-6 or more watches. I buy a watch to wear everyday. its not for flash or bling or to impress. Its for me and the feel of a great watch on your wrist.

Just some random thoughts! - Thx
Jusgliding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:37 AM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
To me the Seamaster SMP 300M is the more direct competitor to the Sub. You might prefer it over the PO, smaller and lighter.

But if you wanted a Sub I would have waited for the Sub. Always get what you want. Typically when you buy a watch as a substitute for a watch you have having a hard time obtaining it doesn't work long term.

Having said that, the PO is a terrific watch and would make a good companion piece to the Sub. I would be happy owning both...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 06:54 AM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Planet ocean is one heck of a watch and a serious movement inside. I have had my 42 for awhile and love it. While the weight IS substantial, you will get used to it with a well fitted bracelet. Actually the PO is light compared to my 41.5 SMPc. Now that's heavy! But overall they are a tank and will take anything you can throw at it, including magnetism. Thrust me, it happens. I had to have my DJ 3235 De-Magnetized after I got it. (work around high magnetic fields) No problems with Omega's. But as someone said, the SMP 300M is more direct comparison to the Sub. PO is a step above in my honest opinion. But if it's not what you want, You will always have regrets no matter which watch it is. Buy what you want. NEVER compromise or substitute from what you really want.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:04 AM   #4
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

You will not go wrong with this. Solidly built, accurate, realiable and a beauty. I have it in both rubber andb leather straps.

IMG_0694_small.jpg
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:46 AM   #5
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
You will not go wrong with this. Solidly built, accurate, realiable and a beauty. I have it in both rubber andb leather straps.

Attachment 1216888
That's a great looking watch!
Old 22 April 2021, 08:11 PM   #6
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Love a PO still regret selling mine may have to get another
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:49 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
You are back on the list for the Submariner so enjoy your PO while you wait. When the Submariner shows up I would buy it and do a comparison between the two through wear. In the end move the watch that does not do it for you. Sometimes I want a watch until I have it for a while and then I move it along to not look back. I do not think that is the Submariner but maybe the PO. I do prefer the 42 mm Seamaster 300 to the PO for wear and looks. But that is personal preference and has nothing to do with what others like.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:18 AM   #8
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post

Attachment 1216888
That is a great looking watch ... very easy and lots to like.
I have the PO GMT version on metal, and find it very comfortable on the wrist.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:52 AM   #9
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
You are back on the list for the Submariner so enjoy your PO while you wait. When the Submariner shows up I would buy it and do a comparison between the two through wear. In the end move the watch that does not do it for you. Sometimes I want a watch until I have it for a while and then I move it along to not look back. I do not think that is the Submariner but maybe the PO. I do prefer the 42 mm Seamaster 300 to the PO for wear and looks. But that is personal preference and has nothing to do with what others like.
I'm in this boat too.

Personally, I think the two are different enough that if you truly enjoy the PO, you can keep both (yes, I'd buy the next sub that comes in).

Use the PO for things you don't want to use the sub for/keep the sub somewhat "nice." Just a thought.

Personally, I also prefer the SMP lineup for its versatility, and to be honest, I think I like them better than my 114060 (shhh, don't tell).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:27 AM   #10
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
The PO is an awesome watch! But it's okay if the watch you really want is the Sub. I would say to buy the next Sub you're offered and compare the two. If you really want the Sub, you'll know pretty quickly.

And to your point about keeping two dive watches I would say that these two are different enough to work well with one another, but I might take the opportunity to flip the PO towards a Speedy or another Chrono for a little diversity in your collection, or sell it outright.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:28 AM   #11
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
The PO is an awesome watch! But it's okay if the watch you really want is the Sub. I would say to buy the next Sub you're offered and compare the two. If you really want the Sub, you'll know pretty quickly.

And to your point about keeping two dive watches I would say that these two are different enough to work well with one another, but I might take the opportunity to flip the PO towards a Speedy or another Chrono for a little diversity in your collection, or sell it outright.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 03:32 AM   #12
Jusgliding
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the opinions. I was a little skeptical of the PO because of the size - However I am getting use to it - I like the weight and the feel of it. who knows I may keep it, or I might end up selling it. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures of what I have here as well. All kinds of dilemma's!
Old 23 April 2021, 06:20 AM   #13
avusblue
"TRF" Member

I was in the same boat as the OP. Over the winter, I had asked my AD to be put "on the list" for a no-date Sub 41, and was waiting patiently. Meanwhile, in February, I just happened to stumble upon the Planet Ocean 43.5 at a dealer -- I saw the watch and fell in love at first sight. I bought it on the spot, and love it.

Then, just a couple weeks later, I got "the call" from the Rolex AD. Went in and bought the no-date Sub. It's exquisite -- handsome and ideally proportioned -- those who call it "the perfect watch" are not wrong -- and I love it, too.

But, the Planet Ocean has remained the one I daily wear ..... I just find it to be more interesting to look at, more unique and fun (orange accents!), and with more assertive wrist presence than the ubiquitous, plain and conservative Sub. And the Omega has some positive features I really enjoy (quick adjust hour hand and transparent caseback, in particular). I find the fit & finish quality to be equal between the Omega and Rolex, and impressively, both watches are dead-nuts-on accurate (like, within a couple seconds per week). One surprise is that I found the Omega bracelet to be superior to Rolex. Its design, with female endlinks, smaller links, and the way it wraps around the wrist, makes it super comfortable. And the quick adjust mechanism is superior to the Rolex glide lock --Omega has finer graduations, and can be instantly adjusted without taking the watch off your wrist.

Overall, the answer to "which one" is of course to "buy both!" (Isn't that always the right call??) They both have a place in a collection, and are both enjoyable to own and admire. But, the one I found to be a better watch for me in the real world, and the one I continue to daily wear, has turned out to be the Omega.

Good luck, and Cheers!

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 08:33 AM   #14
Jusgliding
"TRF" Member

Nice. I appreciate your thoughts. I’m thinking I should add 1 more as well. Who knows. I’m just enjoying my Omega for now. It truly is a fine watch. I thinking Rolex right now is what Harley was to the motorcycle world years back. You could not find one. When you did you paid Royal for it. Now there everywhere. Maybe the same will happen.
Old 6 May 2021, 11:57 PM   #15
Hardhat
"TRF" Member

My story is almost identical to avusblue above. I bought my 43 PO thinking I would never get the call for a sub. A few weeks later, I got the call for a 41mm sub date and jumped on it. To be honest, I love both watches. They are different enough to be in the same collection. I was planning to sell the PO after I acquired the sub. I decided to wait a few weeks before I sold it, and now i'm glad I waited.

I have no interest in the SD43 because the PO ticks all those boxes and more. I find the PO on my wrist alot. It is an exceptional watch. It goes from the farm to the board room with ease. There is so much to love about the PO and it could easily be someone's only watch. If it said rolex on the dial, it would be the one everyone raved about.
Hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:50 AM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

incorrect quote

Last edited by DJ2020; 7 May 2021 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: incorrect quote
Old 7 May 2021, 05:32 AM   #17
sah
"TRF" Member

Watch: OmegaPO, Sub
I have an newish orange PO 43.5. Wear it everyday now and cannot go back to my newly acquired Sea Dweller 16600. I think it is the lack of color in the Sea Dweller that keeps me from wearing it. The PO is a heavy watch, but if the bracelet is adjusted correctly (firm) the weight disappears. I absolutely love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO-8.jpg (216.7 KB, 847 views)
sah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 09:10 AM   #18
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
My husband bought a blue dial 43.5 PO several months ago. He has owned several green bezeled subs. Tt subs. Ss subs. Now wears a smurf sub. He often says the PO is a much better watch.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 09:34 AM   #19
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Even though both watches are divers watches they are and wear quite different.
There is nothing wrong with having both.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 09:13 PM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The PO is a great piece. I got mine in 2005, the first PO to hit the market, with a bi-level co-ax movement cal 2500C. It's never failed me in 16 years. It was my daily driver for 7 years straight, I didn't need anything else. Then I started to build up a small collection and it's now on rotation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO2500C_45.5.jpg (256.5 KB, 824 views)
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:03 PM   #21
avusblue
"TRF" Member

It's a great watch for sure. You guys may enjoy this more detailed review. I didn't write it, but I appreciated the guy who did, and I posted a comment at the end:

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8900 Owner Review -- By Nordwulf​​​

Mine -- slummin' it! �� :

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:55 PM   #22
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
The PO is a great piece. I got mine in 2005, the first PO to hit the market, with a bi-level co-ax movement cal 2500C. It's never failed me in 16 years. It was my daily driver for 7 years straight, I didn't need anything else. Then I started to build up a small collection and it's now on rotation.
I agree, I think the original PO is the best of them all. A future classic IMHO.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:41 AM   #23
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
PO is great. Can't speak to the new 43.5 one, but I love the 42 I have. I prefer it to the standard Sub, having seen both in person, but of course the regular Sub is a stunning watch too. The price point difference (esp if you don't have the patience to wait and go grey) is very (very) hard to justify, unless you're a hype beast, because you can regularly get a PO at a 20% or more discount on top of the already significantly lower MSRP.
Old 9 May 2021, 02:34 AM   #24
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I have a non date sub and a Titanium 43.5mm PO and I don’t see them as similar. Love both of them. PO is always the one I take when I am in the water, the legibility is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:25 AM   #25
ipattic55
"TRF" Member

Why the rubber straps? Just durability?
ipattic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:26 AM   #26
ipattic55
"TRF" Member

Ive always had leather or metal but was liking the look of that seatbelt-ish material
ipattic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 04:49 AM   #27
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Here is my 42mm (8500) skyfall PO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210223_211226.jpg (132.3 KB, 692 views)
Old 12 May 2021, 08:59 AM   #28
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Have owned a few subs and moved all of them on. They are nice but they aren't 3-4 or 5 Omegas nice. I keep coming back to the fact that having a neat zipper click bezel isn't worth $8,000+ more than the Omega PO.

The Omega has a dead silent rotor, smoother winding jump hour movement, better movement finish, completely amagnetic, has a matching date wheel with PVD date font that glitters in the sun, applied Omega logo vs Rolex print only, more water resistance, more easily adjustable clasp, real dive extension, more case finish details, ceramic bezel has smooth liquid metal inlay that doesn't catch dirt and sand etc.

You're leaving nothing on the table passing on the sub other than potential profit.
Old 12 May 2021, 10:27 AM   #29
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Have owned a few subs and moved all of them on. They are nice but they aren't 3-4 or 5 Omegas nice. I keep coming back to the fact that having a neat zipper click bezel isn't worth $8,000+ more than the Omega PO.

The Omega has a dead silent rotor, smoother winding jump hour movement, better movement finish, completely amagnetic, has a matching date wheel with PVD date font that glitters in the sun, applied Omega logo vs Rolex print only, more water resistance, more easily adjustable clasp, real dive extension, more case finish details, ceramic bezel has smooth liquid metal inlay that doesn't catch dirt and sand etc.

You're leaving nothing on the table passing on the sub other than potential profit.
And there you have it, well said!, Oh, and none of that AD games to deal with!
Old 13 May 2021, 04:53 PM   #30
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusgliding View Post
I recently purchase an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 43.5 . I was tired of waiting on my Rolex dealer to come up with a Stainless sub for me. Wouldn't you know about 5 days after getting the Omega I got the call that he had a Stainless Sub for me. I was sick. Not really sold on the Omega. It was big and heavy. I had to pass on the Sub because I am not one for going into debt. I know I could have made a few bucks on the sub to offset the 4500 I paid for my Omega, but I didn't do it knowing I probably wouldn't get another crack at a Rolex for retail vs the large mark ups I am seeing.

I'm on the list for the next Sub to hit the door. My point here is The Omega is growing on me. Its a pretty darn nice watch for the money. I suppose I can have 2 watches of the same look?? But you can only wear one at a time! The question is I now have the 10k needed to buy the Rolex when it hits the door. Would you part with another 10k or be happy with 1. I know most have 5-6 or more watches. I buy a watch to wear everyday. its not for flash or bling or to impress. Its for me and the feel of a great watch on your wrist.

Just some random thoughts! - Thx
I'm in the opposite camp. I am a bigger fan of the Planet Ocean but also want a Sub. I would have loved to buy the Sub they offered you

You should have taken the Sub anyways and sold it the next day for thousands of profit . Joking aside, glad you let someone else take it . Flippers are annoying

My favourite PO colour combo is Pepsi - and it looks (IMO) better than a Rolex Pepsi