The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 May 2021, 09:12 AM   #1
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Add 3861 to collection that includes 1861?

Currently have a hesalite 1861. Wear it primarily on a leather strap and it is my most worn watch ever (although others have been worn more in the past year or 2)

Am I crazy to want a 3861 sapphire? To 99.9% it is the same watch and looks identical but after trying one on and seeing them side by side it looks significantly different than my 1861. Then again, I won't have to get another speedy for about 30 years given the update frequency.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:37 PM   #2
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I did exactly that about a month ago. I was so impressed when I saw the new Speedy I purchased it on the spot. I wear the 3861 sapphire on bracelet and 1861 Hesalite on a NATO. I don’t think you will regret it.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Tumppi$
"TRF" Member

Somehow I don't see a point to own two of same model. Of course there is lot of updates yes, but it's still the same model, Omega Speedmaster Professional. The reason is, that there is so, so, so many interesting watches out there. So my opinion is that two same model watches is a bit waste of money. These are not rarities of any kind, so you don't loose opportunity to own something unique, if you don't buy basically the same watch every time after some updates. But that's only my opinion. Cheers!
Tumppi$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumppi$ View Post
Somehow I don't see a point to own two of same model. Of course there is lot of updates yes, but it's still the same model, Omega Speedmaster Professional. The reason is, that there is so, so, so many interesting watches out there. So my opinion is that two same model watches is a bit waste of money. These are not rarities of any kind, so you don't loose opportunity to own something unique, if you don't buy basically the same watch every time after some updates. But that's only my opinion. Cheers!
Exactly how I see it - buying another very similar watch takes away the opportunity of owning something different. At least, that's how I plan my watch box out anyways. I don't like crossover
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:25 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I see it as almost the same watch and a duplication in your collection. I do like the Speedmaster and own the 1861 and would not pay the current price for the new model. I would look for another model that allows you to enjoy another look, even if it is a Speedmaster with a different dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 07:41 AM   #6
Duke84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
The new dial on the 3861 really speaks to me. I love the vintage throwback of the new step dial. It looks beautiful in the sunlight. Much prefer it to the dial on the 1861 models. All that to say I definitely think you could justify adding a 3861 to your collection even if you already have a 1861.
Duke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 09:26 AM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke84 View Post
The new dial on the 3861 really speaks to me. I love the vintage throwback of the new step dial. It looks beautiful in the sunlight. Much prefer it to the dial on the 1861 models. All that to say I definitely think you could justify adding a 3861 to your collection even if you already have a 1861.
Agree with this, there is a lot to like on the new dial...and then there is the bracelet (which I love).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 09:34 AM   #8
Duke84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Agree with this, there is a lot to like on the new dial...and then there is the bracelet (which I love).
Love the new bracelet. Super comfortable and (at least with the polished bits on the sapphire sandwich version of the bracelet) I love how it catches the light.

I've seen posts showing you can simply add the 3861 bracelet to older Speedies, so OP can just swap out bracelets if he wants. But once you see the new 3861 dial outside in the sun....good luck resisting temptation.
Duke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 01:22 AM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin20 View Post
Currently have a hesalite 1861. Wear it primarily on a leather strap and it is my most worn watch ever (although others have been worn more in the past year or 2)

Am I crazy to want a 3861 sapphire? To 99.9% it is the same watch and looks identical but after trying one on and seeing them side by side it looks significantly different than my 1861. Then again, I won't have to get another speedy for about 30 years given the update frequency.
It's not crazy to want the 3861 sapphire -- viewing the movement through the caseback is one of life's simple pleasures.

I'm in a similar boat (owner of hesalite 1861) and have a soft spot for the Speedy. That being said, I know that if I were to add a sapphire (of any generation), eventually I would consider one of the two redundant (look almost identical when on wrist) and want to move it along for something else. All depends on your level of tolerance for repetition in your collection. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 02:43 AM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the new bracelet. Super comfortable and (at least with the polished bits on the sapphire sandwich version of the bracelet) I love how it catches the light.

I've seen posts showing you can simply add the 3861 bracelet to older Speedies, so OP can just swap out bracelets if he wants. But once you see the new 3861 dial outside in the sun....good luck resisting temptation.
Exactly

and my cell phone pics don't do it justice.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 03:57 AM   #11
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

This week I had a chance to try on both new 3861 models and the older 1861 hesalite.

By far the sapphire 3861 stole the show. Great dial, attractive, comfortable bracelet. It just appeared more modern and attractive.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 03:06 PM   #12
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
This week I had a chance to try on both new 3861 models and the older 1861 hesalite.

By far the sapphire 3861 stole the show. Great dial, attractive, comfortable bracelet. It just appeared more modern and attractive.
I felt the same way when I saw the new model in person. Refined and improved in almost every way.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 05:20 PM   #13
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Agreed. I generally prefer brushed bracelets. However, the polished bits on the updated bracelet for the sapphire 3861 make for one of my favorite things about the watch.

OP, to answer your question, I think there is space for both the hesalite 1861 and the sapphire 3861 in one collection. In fact, I think there’s something romantic about collecting different versions of the same model.

djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 03:17 PM   #14
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

I'm going to my AD early next week and will try the 3861 on side by side with my 1861. I have an GSOTM Meteor and an DSOTM Apollo 8 so this wouldn't be just another speedy in the collection.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2021, 05:22 PM   #15
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I bought the last of the 1863 because it was being discontinued. it was already well established and with movement close to the original.

i didnt want to go modern for the moonwatch
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #16
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I’d definitely add the sapphire 3861 on bracelet. It will look like a completely different watch than your hesalite 1861 on leather strap. The new dial and bracelet is awesome, you’ll get to see the great movement through the display case back, and you’ll have the nice little touch of the applied Omega logo on the dial as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:47 AM   #17
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Not a issue, I would defiantly add it to my collection. On a bracelet of course.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 05:35 PM   #18
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Add 3861 to collection that includes 1861?

I think it depends on what other watches you have. I have an 1863 on a leather strap and a Submariner. My 2 favorite watches. That’s why I bought them.

However, if I ever decide to add a 3rd watch, I wouldn’t want another Speedmaster. I want something totally different that blends in well with what I already have. Your situation might be different than mine.

EDIT: I just saw your other post about the other Speedmasters you have. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote