The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2020, 03:27 PM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
iOS14 orange dot - someone is listening in

Hey guys......

Just an FYI for the update iOS14 on iPhone.

"The latest iPhone update adds a new "warning dot" that alerts you whenever your microphone or camera is activated."

What to do? See article.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/te...ophone-active/

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2020, 03:53 PM   #2
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Spike was ready and I will be too.

ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 12:31 AM   #3
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I was wondering what that was! Good to know

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:26 AM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Thanks bbl was wondering what that meant. Ios14 runs well.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:44 AM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Cool, thx for the heads up.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:46 AM   #6
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Woah, interesting!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

iOS 14 runs pretty efficiently. My phone doesn't feel sluggish after this update, which I can't say is true for previous updates
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I like this new positioning by Apple.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 01:17 PM   #9
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
What color is the dot for contact tracing?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Lol. Its there is to let you know that the microphone is on and nothing more. It will only come on when you initiate it by text to talk. Try it yourself and see. Apple put that feature there so YOU will know when the microphone is on.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 02:19 AM   #11
BBL
"TRF" Member

Perhaps this article may be more enlightening about apps:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-what-do-the-orange-and-green-dots-in-the-status-bar-mean/

Quoted:
"The orange dot means that an application on your phone is using the microphone. The microphone is being listened to and could be recorded. This may show up when you are using Siri or Dictation, for example, and need the iPhone to transcribe your speech to text. Assuming all apps are acting in good faith, the orange dot should only appear when you are doing something that requires the microphone.

If the orange dot shows in contexts where it doesn’t seem like it should be required, that may indicate an app is misusing your privacy. If you do spot it showing up when it shouldn’t, then you may want to contact the developer to enquire about why it is being used. It could just be a bug with the app, rather than intentional spying activity.

In previous versions of iOS, users would not know when the microphone was being accessed unless the app was in the background. When apps record the microphone when backgrounded, iOS shows a red pill indicator on the left-hand side of the notch. This behavior hasn’t changed with iOS 14, but now the orange light will appear on the right-hand side of the notch at the same time."

Also re green dot:
Quoted:
"The green dot appears when an app is using the camera, like when taking a photo. Camera access implies access to the microphone too; in this case, you won’t see the orange dot separately. The green color matches the LEDs used in Apple’s MacBook and iMac products.

If an application is accessing the camera when it doesn’t make sense, it may mean the app is invading your privacy. iOS doesn’t know why an app needs access to the camera hardware at any moment, so your best path of action is to contact the support channels of the app you are suspicious about. They may be doing something nefarious, in which case you can delete the application, or it may just be a bug.

The green light being on does not mean that the camera feed is being recorded and saved; all iOS knows is that the app can access the camera feed at that time. It doesn’t know what the app is doing with the data."

Old 20 September 2020, 07:58 AM   #12
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Perhaps this article may be more enlightening about apps:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/18/ios-14-what-do-the-orange-and-green-dots-in-the-status-bar-mean/

Quoted:
"The orange dot means that an application on your phone is using the microphone. The microphone is being listened to and could be recorded. This may show up when you are using Siri or Dictation, for example, and need the iPhone to transcribe your speech to text. Assuming all apps are acting in good faith, the orange dot should only appear when you are doing something that requires the microphone.

If the orange dot shows in contexts where it doesn’t seem like it should be required, that may indicate an app is misusing your privacy. If you do spot it showing up when it shouldn’t, then you may want to contact the developer to enquire about why it is being used. It could just be a bug with the app, rather than intentional spying activity.

In previous versions of iOS, users would not know when the microphone was being accessed unless the app was in the background. When apps record the microphone when backgrounded, iOS shows a red pill indicator on the left-hand side of the notch. This behavior hasn’t changed with iOS 14, but now the orange light will appear on the right-hand side of the notch at the same time."

Also re green dot:
Quoted:
"The green dot appears when an app is using the camera, like when taking a photo. Camera access implies access to the microphone too; in this case, you won’t see the orange dot separately. The green color matches the LEDs used in Apple’s MacBook and iMac products.

If an application is accessing the camera when it doesn’t make sense, it may mean the app is invading your privacy. iOS doesn’t know why an app needs access to the camera hardware at any moment, so your best path of action is to contact the support channels of the app you are suspicious about. They may be doing something nefarious, in which case you can delete the application, or it may just be a bug.

The green light being on does not mean that the camera feed is being recorded and saved; all iOS knows is that the app can access the camera feed at that time. It doesn’t know what the app is doing with the data."

This seems great. If the dot comes on when I wouldn't think it should, first thing to do is identify the app in question that triggered it and check it's permissions on your phone. Cancel the permission to use the mic or camera. Awesome feature.
Old 20 September 2020, 08:03 AM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This seems great. If the dot comes on when I wouldn't think it should, first thing to do is identify the app in question that triggered it and check it's permissions on your phone. Cancel the permission to use the mic or camera. Awesome feature.
Exactly

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 08:16 AM   #14
Cru Jones

Maybe I’m too set in my ways, but nothing about ios14 appeals to me. I reverted to the prior settings almost immediately.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Maybe I’m too set in my ways, but nothing about ios14 appeals to me. I reverted to the prior settings almost immediately.
Same here. Deleted all the new apps and widgets right away. The App Library is something I'll never use, and the satellite map on the Find My app is now too blurred to use.
Old 23 September 2020, 07:50 AM   #16
BBL
"TRF" Member

Some users had a problem in Beta, and now others are happy, sharing their screen creations... photos.

reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios14/comme..._delete_ios14/
Old 23 September 2020, 08:06 AM   #17
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I'll say this, my phone is having issues now. Freezing when turning the flashlight on from the lock screen and crashing when doing things within control center. Nothing really great with this new OS, I reverted to my previous widget page on the left as the new one dumps my android apps to the bottom and I use google assistant way more than any other widget. The picture in picture doesn't work with Youtube or any message app, and the app drawer is useless.