The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 September 2020, 11:33 AM   #31
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
Would be more impressed if GS managed to come up with a decent bracelet.
I've never had an issue with the bracelets, but the most recent releases have seen some refinements to bracelets and clasps. Overblown issue imo.

Funny how we had Rolex bracelet/clasp apologists for years, with their outdated pre- 6-digit tech. But of course when they made big improvements in this area the internet fusspots derided them as too complex/bulky/large...

Great to see other manufacturers pushing the boundaries. Makes a nice change from arguments about fractions of a mm case dimensions on a dive watch...
Old 4 September 2020, 12:55 PM   #32
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79280_116520 View Post
I've also read that some of the notable grey dealers won't even accept GS for trade-ins. Maybe they only see GS as a one way street.
I don’t think that’s true. I’ve traded Seiko and GS to two of the arguably biggest (David and Thanh). No issues at all.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 01:02 PM   #33
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
With Rolex's new models, Look what Grand Seiko is doing

That’s why the watch community is what it is. Apparently the bracelet, brand, and prestige take precedence over the actual beating heart of the time piece.

If the Rolex Bracelet was such a masterpiece in comparison to Grand Seiko, then pray tell why is it the very first thing that gets replaced with aftermarket straps.

In any case. Superb and innovative craftsmanship from Grand Seiko. Thank you OP for sharing!
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 01:06 PM   #34
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79280_116520 View Post
I've also read that some of the notable grey dealers won't even accept GS for trade-ins.
Which ones? This sounds about as plausible as the post I read about some greys not taking previous-gen 6-digit Subs.
Old 4 September 2020, 01:09 PM   #35
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Grand Seiko will overproduce themselves into irrelevance in short order.
I'm more inclined to believe that Seiko know their way around the watch business reasonably well.
Old 4 September 2020, 01:49 PM   #36
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
That’s why the watch community is what it is. Apparently the bracelet, brand, and prestige take precedence over the actual beating heart of the time piece.

If the Rolex Bracelet was such a masterpiece in comparison to Grand Seiko, then pray tell why is it the very first thing that gets replaced with aftermarket straps.

In any case. Superb and innovative craftsmanship from Grand Seiko. Thank you OP for sharing!
Well said. The “watch community” over the last 3 years have been tough to deal with. This week was the first time in quite awhile I forced myself to stomach the Rolex section. I like when they take a break from discussing AD waitlists, grey prices and what a watch is worth to come over to hate on Seiko.
Old 4 September 2020, 02:50 PM   #37
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Is it the same as a remontoire?
Somewhat. The trick here is that GS have combined the constant-force mechanism with the tourbillon. Probably not something to practice DIY servicing on!
Old 4 September 2020, 09:06 PM   #38
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Great to see other manufacturers pushing the boundaries. Makes a nice change from arguments about fractions of a mm case dimensions on a dive watch...
Yes, agree. It’s also nice to see this come out of Japan, and that GS aren’t resting on their impressive list of achievements over the decades.

They’ve yet to produce that “killer” watch though.
Old 5 September 2020, 09:10 AM   #39
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
The constant force tourbillion is amazing, but is probably still a ways off in terms of regular production.
Old 5 September 2020, 10:22 AM   #40
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:

Great watches, but too many models and comparatively high retail is not desirable.
sounds like wishful thinking - lets hope Rolex can stay as relevant once the instagram fan boys find something else new and shiny to hype up.

Seems like GS are somehow managing their business without your sagely advice....
Old 5 September 2020, 10:42 AM   #41
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

It reminds me of my 4 childhood friends, all wear Rolex Daytonas. Never use a chronograph, couldn't tell you what caliber is inside, etc...

I was talking to them about the Spring Drive technology and how amazing it is, and they laughed and were like "dude, it's a Seiko."

Even my father, who is the last person concerned with a label, said to me when I told him I want the new GMT GS, "unless people know, you're wearing a Seiko."

Either you get it, or you don't. I find most Rolex owners are like the typical person; they don't get it. They're label conscious and marketing zombies. Now ogling over Doxa colors on an Oyster Perpetual. It's amusing.
Old 5 September 2020, 12:40 PM   #42
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Yes, agree. It’s also nice to see this come out of Japan, and that GS aren’t resting on their impressive list of achievements over the decades.

They’ve yet to produce that “killer” watch though.
Interesting point - I think they've come close to it with the Snowflake and perhaps a few others. The latest GMTs have certainly hit the right note with many. I guess it is a sometimes unpredictable combination of marketing, hype/social media, perceived scarcity, timing and luck that reasults in a 'hot' watch. Actual horology often not a factor. GS have certainly benefited from the Rolex situation of recent years - will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old 5 September 2020, 01:03 PM   #43
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
It reminds me of my 4 childhood friends, all wear Rolex Daytonas. Never use a chronograph, couldn't tell you what caliber is inside, etc...

I was talking to them about the Spring Drive technology and how amazing it is, and they laughed and were like "dude, it's a Seiko."

Even my father, who is the last person concerned with a label, said to me when I told him I want the new GMT GS, "unless people know, you're wearing a Seiko."

Either you get it, or you don't. I find most Rolex owners are like the typical person; they don't get it. They're label conscious and marketing zombies. Now ogling over Doxa colors on an Oyster Perpetual. It's amusing.
This makes me want to sell every Rolex I have. But I have to remind myself how amazing the 4130 movement is. How they make watches to last 50 years or more. How they invent new ceramic processes, etc. I’m getting past the point of caring what others perceive. GS is amazing, period. Like Seiko they have a wide range, but instead of starting out at $150 (or whatever a Seiko 5 costs) they start at 3k and go to 175k.
Old 6 September 2020, 01:04 AM   #44
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
This makes me want to sell every Rolex I have. But I have to remind myself how amazing the 4130 movement is. How they make watches to last 50 years or more. How they invent new ceramic processes, etc. I’m getting past the point of caring what others perceive. GS is amazing, period. Like Seiko they have a wide range, but instead of starting out at $150 (or whatever a Seiko 5 costs) they start at 3k and go to 175k.

Then you should keep and enjoy your Rolex and add a GS. No reason why both can’t exist with one another. Both great brands. Just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:22 AM   #45
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Then you should keep and enjoy your Rolex and add a GS. No reason why both can’t exist with one another. Both great brands. Just different.

Oh, I have six of them. Lol. I’m not a one watch brand guy. 4 Rolex, 1 Tudor, 1 AP, 6 GS, 3 Seiko SLA, 2 turtles, a zimbe samurai, Alpinist, mm200, LX land and two presage
Old 7 September 2020, 08:03 AM   #46
Gwai
"TRF" Member

That was good fun, everybody. Thanks for taking my comment meant tongue-in-cheek (way too) seriously.

Still, while I have great respect for everything GS have achieved over the past decades, I just don't like the "look and feel" of GS watches. And no, this is not sophisticated. It is my opinion.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 08:56 AM   #47
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That was good fun, everybody. Thanks for taking my comment meant tongue-in-cheek (way too) seriously.

Still, while I have great respect for everything GS have achieved over the past decades, I just don't like the "look and feel" of GS watches. And no, this is not sophisticated. It is my opinion.

Cheers
Marc
I actually thought your comment was funny. I think it was a couple other comments. I can only speak for myself but your comment made me laugh. Cheers.
Old 7 September 2020, 02:40 PM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I don’t think that’s true. I’ve traded Seiko and GS to two of the arguably biggest (David and Thanh). No issues at all.
Complete nonsense in the US anyways. I generally have an easy time moving grand seikos when the time comes.
Old 7 September 2020, 02:59 PM   #49
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How would anyone know it was tongue-in-cheek? It was just statement, with no emoticons or anything to help indicate the tone.
Old 7 September 2020, 07:07 PM   #50
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How would anyone know it was tongue-in-cheek? It was just statement, with no emoticons or anything to help indicate the tone.
Yeah, one has to live with not being given the benefit of doubt here. I don't do emoticons because I seriously dislike the little buggers. My risk.

Cheers
Marc
Old 7 September 2020, 09:20 PM   #51
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, one has to live with not being given the benefit of doubt here. I don't do emoticons because I seriously dislike the little buggers. My risk.

Cheers
Marc
Serious stuff, this watch hobby business!
Old 7 September 2020, 11:28 PM   #52
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I’m late to the party on this thread, but Grand Seiko is a serious maker with movements that rival any Swiss maison. But I will say, seiko! Please go ultra thin movements next. How awesome would it be to have a GS sports watch at around 7-8mm thick? I’d buy that in 2 seconds.

Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:22 AM   #53
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Regarding bracelets: I would not knock GS. As stated above, Rolex fans went above and beyond to justify what, until recently, was pretty much an abomination given the brand's position. Here is what irks me a bit: If I spend more than $3K on watch, gimme a decent box.

Both Rolex and GS are major offenders.
Old 8 September 2020, 03:53 PM   #54
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
I’m late to the party on this thread, but Grand Seiko is a serious maker with movements that rival any Swiss maison. But I will say, seiko! Please go ultra thin movements next. How awesome would it be to have a GS sports watch at around 7-8mm thick? I’d buy that in 2 seconds.

Seiko made a record-breaking watch with 2.95mm thick movement 60 years ago

https://wornandwound.com/affordable-...o-goldfeather/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.95.jpg (260.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 9 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #55
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Serious stuff, this watch hobby business!
Totally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Here is what irks me a bit: If I spend more than $3K on watch, gimme a decent box.

Both Rolex and GS are major offenders.
With you regarding Rolex. I think theirs are exceptionally, appallingly ugly.

Cheers
Marc
Old 9 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #56
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
well how will that happen when their total production numbers are laid out in a mere tens of thousands as opposed to hundreds of thousands of some other brands?
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 05:53 AM   #57
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Please share.
Watchbox and Crown and Calibur on two separate occasions declined a new GS model from me, stating "we are no longer accepting GS at this time".

DavidSW has never given me an issue with GS though.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote