The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2020, 05:29 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Checked out the new Code today...

I stopped by the AD today for a matter unrelated to AP, and there were some of the new codes. They just happened to have the one I have my eye on, which is the black/gray gradient Chrono model.

This is a quick pic and the lighting there is very harsh, but I have to be honest. I genuinely like this watch. The black croc band would have to go and I'd want something more casual, but this is definitely on my short list. Not sure if I will pull the trigger or not, but it was really great to see one in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4244.jpg (181.3 KB, 696 views)
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:31 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Wow it looks stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:36 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

here comes the real test if you like it or not:)

would you buy it grey just for what it is (for me it's a clear no) and only because you like it or do you really kind of like the watch because you know it would improve your relationship drastically with the boutique?

I would shop around and bundle and take the best deal. Westime sure loves to sell codes :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:50 AM   #4
wei915
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 Silver
I think the date window sticks out like a sore thumb on the dial, due to the mismatch between the colour of the date wheel and smoked dial. At that price point, perhaps you could consider the Remaster chronograph instead? It seems that the Code chrono and the Remaster chrono share the same dial layout too.

Just my 2cents

wei915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:53 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Any chance of a discount on these to help the waverers?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

CODE fan here. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as there is always a RO or ROO that gets in the way... :)

But these new versions with the two-tone cases and smoked dials are just awesome looking!
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 09:52 AM   #7
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Looks great and is sized perfect for your wrist.

I went to the boutique last week and tried the chrono with the blue dial, and this smoked black dial. Love both but the blue slightly more because of the deep blue on the dial and the blue shoes on. This iteration of the codes is vastly better.

TBH... The price still isn’t sitting right with me though. There’s just too much choice at that price point. I hinted at that to the SA and got a smile in return so I don’t think a discount would be on offer, not from the boutique at least. I’d love to know if a discount was offered elsewhere.
Old 5 September 2020, 01:21 PM   #8
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Looks great and is sized perfect for your wrist.

TBH... The price still isn’t sitting right with me though. There’s just too much choice at that price point. I hinted at that to the SA and got a smile in return so I don’t think a discount would be on offer, not from the boutique at least. I’d love to know if a discount was offered elsewhere.
Honestly, this is my EXACT issue. I feel the watch would fly and would be fairly priced at $34 to $35k, but $42k is just too much. At the $42k price point you've got money left over on a solid gold Daytona, and you are very close to many Patek Complications. I do get the CODE is precious metal as well, but that's only the case/bezel/lugs in comparison to the Daytona.

I haven't asked so this is just speculation, but I have to assume the corporate boutiques won't even entertain a discount. An AD, I don't know. I didn't ask, but it would have to be on the table for me to pull the trigger.

And therein lies another issue. If you want "credit" for buying a CODE - Which let's not lie that's always a factor regardless how much you really like the watch, you're much better off getting it from the corporate boutique. But, if you want the best price, I'd work with an AD.

I genuinely do like this watch, but I also can't see me pulling the trigger without a substantial discount. Plus, I need to see this on other straps. I just don't do croc straps unless I'm dressing professionally or formal and those are both rarities.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Rockland
"TRF" Member

I really like the two tone with the smoke grey dial too. Beautiful looking. Tried it on two weeks ago, and it just felt too top heavy on my wrist. Unfortunately I found it to be uncomfortable for me.
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 02:11 PM   #10
wei915
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 Silver
Just contributing another picture of the Code that I found on Instagram. I'm seriously considering this piece and adding a tan strap and deployant clasp to it. What's stopping me is the constant thought of wanting to wait for AP to improve the dial, remove the numerals and correct the date window position. On the other hand, I'm apprehensive of the inevitable PRICE INCREASE that will come together with the update
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (69.2 KB, 535 views)
wei915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:22 PM   #11
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Ask for 15202st at least when you buy a Code especially a chrono version.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:22 PM   #12
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei915 View Post
Just contributing another picture of the Code that I found on Instagram. I'm seriously considering this piece and adding a tan strap and deployant clasp to it. What's stopping me is the constant thought of wanting to wait for AP to improve the dial, remove the numerals and correct the date window position. On the other hand, I'm apprehensive of the inevitable PRICE INCREASE that will come together with the update

If you like it and are ready to get it, I would go for it. They will never change the numerals on the time only and the date window at 430 will not change (just look at the rest of the AP line up).

Price increase is very real in certain markets as the price of gold has skyrocketed and the USD has dropped about 10%.

The new CODEs are very nice and I look forward to getting one of the TT time onlys over the next 6 months.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:31 PM   #13
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I’m one of the few fans of the Code having tried a couple on. Hated it in pictures, but in person they are really rather splendid and wear smaller than their size which works for me.

I’m not yet ready for a watch on leather, but when I am, I will be considering the code.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 10:27 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 08:51 AM   #15
KBM

As far as Code watches go, that's a good looking model.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 08:52 AM   #16
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei915 View Post
That case design is so nice... agree with you on the dial, they were so close to hitting it home, but the dial and date design leave much to be desired.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:42 PM   #17
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Honestly, this is my EXACT issue. I feel the watch would fly and would be fairly priced at $34 to $35k, but $42k is just too much. At the $42k price point you've got money left over on a solid gold Daytona, and you are very close to many Patek Complications. I do get the CODE is precious metal as well, but that's only the case/bezel/lugs in comparison to the Daytona.

I haven't asked so this is just speculation, but I have to assume the corporate boutiques won't even entertain a discount. An AD, I don't know. I didn't ask, but it would have to be on the table for me to pull the trigger.

And therein lies another issue. If you want "credit" for buying a CODE - Which let's not lie that's always a factor regardless how much you really like the watch, you're much better off getting it from the corporate boutique. But, if you want the best price, I'd work with an AD.

I genuinely do like this watch, but I also can't see me pulling the trigger without a substantial discount. Plus, I need to see this on other straps. I just don't do croc straps unless I'm dressing professionally or formal and those are both rarities.

+1 wholeheartedly!

There are a number of Pateks that I am evaluating and some beautiful complicated JLCs that can be had, and this is for the Time Only Code at 27K CHF! I thought a lot of what you mentioned, I could probably get it for 24k USD at some vendor online but my buying experience is a shipping box! I am big on connecting emotionally with the watch. For this paying the retail at a boutique is the right choice for me. Boutique did not entertain a discount as it discredits the Code lineup.

In your choice, that was the sales guy’s favorite and he had it in. With his suit, it looked awesome!

I like the chrono complication but these new smoked dials, I prefer to see the dial and it is no surprise to this group that I am all over the purple. I still will go visit the boutique to see the purple chrono and then make my choice.

Great point you both made!

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote