The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2020, 02:30 PM   #1
LD_321
"TRF" Member

Daytona or Royal Oak

Hey guys, I’m sure this discussion or thread has been beat to death in the past, but I am new to this channel and figured I’d give it a shot and ask for some opinions...

I’m in a fortunate position to pick up either a ceramic Daytona white dial (panda), or a AP royal oak (either 15400, 15500, or 15450 (yes I know the 15450 is 37mm).

I am torn because I just can’t get over the fact of paying $25,000+ for the Daytona and feel as the AP May be a better buy for roughly the same money. I have a 7 inch wrist and worry as the AP 41 feels slightly large on my wrist and I tend to like the size of my daydate40 and Pre ceramic submariner.

Please share any and all thoughts. Thanks!
LD_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 03:46 PM   #2
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
They're two different watches with two different purposes.

The Daytona has an impressive movement and an even more impressive case. The dial, I would argue objectively, lacks the balance that its ancestors (pre-Zenith Daytona) had. But hey- if you're going to use your watch as a tool, it's tough to beat a chronograph.

Quality and country of origin aside, the AP Royal Oak differs from the Daytona in just about every way possible. Its dial has a rich texture; even the white dial RO puts the "panda" (I mean, it's not even a panda) dial's white paint to shame; and even the biggest Daytona evangelists would agree that the RO does a better job of celebrating its predecessors' dial.

But you give up a chronograph function, and in the case of the Royal Oak Slim Jumbo, you also give up the seconds function (though you do end up with a ridiculously slim case).

They're two very different beasts, and it's no surprise that an owner of one will chase down the other to complement it.
Old 14 September 2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

If we were talking retail, it would be a more difficult choice. I'd go for AP on this and lean more towards the 15400 as I personally struggle with the idea of paying such premiums. My
Old 14 September 2020, 03:58 PM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

I've owned several iterations of both, hands down AP. No contest.

Albeit, the daytona will fly much more under the radar if that is a priority for you. If you like the daydate or sub size, then try a 15202 (my favorite in my collection) or a 15300.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
AP for me.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:40 PM   #6
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

There's a very key difference between the two of these pieces, one actually feels like a $25K piece and the other feels like a $13K piece that costs $25K.

I like both very much, but at above MSRP I think most will be sorely disappointed with the Daytona unless you are A) really into the hype, B) a lover/ collector of Daytonas and they are just your thing, C) have no sense of money (or just that much that it doesn't matter).

I picked one up recently at MSRP and even then couldn't fall in love with it enough to justify keeping it. After wearing for a few weeks it sold within minutes on this forum for nearly 2x what I paid retail. (While I didn't pay $25K for it, it felt like a $25K decision to keep it, at the end of the day its not really a $25k watch and that definitely weighed on my decision).
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 07:15 PM   #7
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I would pick up a 15300 over these.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 07:18 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
15450, which wears like the Daytona, is the best buy here if you cannot get the Day at retail.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 07:28 PM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Daytona or Royal Oak

If you’ve got a 7” wrist, similar to me, then surely the Daytona will look more like a ladies watch on your wrist? I remember when I first bought my 44 Offshore it looked massive when I first looked at it but it actually looks right. My wife wears the white face ceramic watch and I love that watch but I’d never consider wearing it even if the bracelet was sized for my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the Daytona. I have a 7.5-7.75 inch wrist and it wear good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200825_122252 (002).jpg (223.9 KB, 820 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 09:47 PM   #11
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Would vote for the AP. Finishing of AP at another level compared to Rolex.
Old 14 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #12
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Apples to oranges. The MSRP is pretty accurate about what the manufacturer thinks of its value. Stick to that principle and don't fall for the hype.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:17 PM   #13
rtanjaya
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cde1218 View Post
There's a very key difference between the two of these pieces, one actually feels like a $25K piece and the other feels like a $13K piece that costs $25K.

I like both very much, but at above MSRP I think most will be sorely disappointed with the Daytona unless you are A) really into the hype, B) a lover/ collector of Daytonas and they are just your thing, C) have no sense of money (or just that much that it doesn't matter).

I picked one up recently at MSRP and even then couldn't fall in love with it enough to justify keeping it. After wearing for a few weeks it sold within minutes on this forum for nearly 2x what I paid retail. (While I didn't pay $25K for it, it felt like a $25K decision to keep it, at the end of the day its not really a $25k watch and that definitely weighed on my decision).
Agree with this.
rtanjaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:29 PM   #14
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cde1218 View Post

This is solid advice, but OP I suggest you try both first.
I am fortunate to own a lot of the watches that command strong premiums today, simply because I got alot of them at grey market years ago when premiums like today did not exist.
I bought the Daytona C by chance at my AD very early after they were released in 2016, and would not be able to get it today at retail if I wanted to.
I think of all the watches that command a premium today, including in the world of steel pateks, the Daytona C is the ONLY watch that deserves it (to me).
I love it just as much to date. While I would be torn between paying $25K for it, it still depends on your preferences and your other watches.

One very heavy advantage of the Daytona C over the RO is that you can wear it worry free. The Daytona can (and in my case is) abused and worn by me doing all my activities, travel, hobbies, etc and still looks beautiful. The RO loses a lot of its aesthetic when it is abused the same way.
I really think that this is something you should consider if it is a potential one and only everyday watch.

Good luck!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:42 PM   #15
Reggiez
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a silver dial 15500 (Haven’t had a chance to do an incoming post) and was blown away by the fit and finish. It really is another level.
Reggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:06 AM   #16
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak any day. AP finishing is at a much higher level than any Rolex model. Hope you are able to see both of them side by side. That will make it an easy choice.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:08 AM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
This is solid advice, but OP I suggest you try both first.
I am fortunate to own a lot of the watches that command strong premiums today, simply because I got alot of them at grey market years ago when premiums like today did not exist.
I bought the Daytona C by chance at my AD very early after they were released in 2016, and would not be able to get it today at retail if I wanted to.
I think of all the watches that command a premium today, including in the world of steel pateks, the Daytona C is the ONLY watch that deserves it (to me).
I love it just as much to date. While I would be torn between paying $25K for it, it still depends on your preferences and your other watches.

One very heavy advantage of the Daytona C over the RO is that you can wear it worry free. The Daytona can (and in my case is) abused and worn by me doing all my activities, travel, hobbies, etc and still looks beautiful. The RO loses a lot of its aesthetic when it is abused the same way.
I really think that this is something you should consider if it is a potential one and only everyday watch.

Good luck!

Don’t quite agree with this, just this afternoon my wife has sent me a photo of her Daytona as it seems that one of the pushers has fallen off somewhere during the day while she’s been tapping away on her laptop.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:21 AM   #18
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If you can get it from Boutique/AD, Daytona white dial.

If you have to go Gray, AP 15500ST.

They are completely different watches and at different prices.

Both are very good watches.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:33 AM   #19
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
7” wrist - my vote would be for the 15400 or 15500.

The Daytona will appear very small. So will the 15450.
Old 15 September 2020, 01:34 AM   #20
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
If you can get it from Boutique/AD, Daytona white dial.

If you have to go Gray, AP 15500ST.

They are completely different watches and at different prices.

Both are very good watches.

^^ and this.
Old 15 September 2020, 01:58 AM   #21
Maverick82
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_driver View Post
Royal Oak any day. AP finishing is at a much higher level than any Rolex model. Hope you are able to see both of them side by side. That will make it an easy choice.
Agreed. View it in person ideally side by side.
Maverick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 02:12 AM   #22
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Practically speaking, the one you can get at retail. If Daytona at retail isn't possible, then AP for me.

And practically speaking, if you are in a position to buy Daytona at retail, then I suspect you can afford both and not settle because of all the $$$$ prior spent required to be able to get Daytona at retail.

I agree with your sentiment, I wouldn't want to pay 25k for SS Daytona at market price when I can pay 26k for AP ROC.

Finally, FWIW, I got over the size issue for ROC in about a week. I also wear it far more than my SS Daytona. Maybe 10:1 times more.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #23
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Both are great watches. Daytona is much more useful, AP is another level in quality and design wise. None of them will be a wrong choice even with grey prices.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:06 AM   #24
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Are you planning on sourcing either watch via grey market?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:06 AM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Don’t quite agree with this, just this afternoon my wife has sent me a photo of her Daytona as it seems that one of the pushers has fallen off somewhere during the day while she’s been tapping away on her laptop.

They just don’t make the pushers like they used to. Seriously!

I remember the first time I tried on the new ceramic versions at a gray dealer two years ago and though WTF on the pushers vs the last version of Daytona I was wearing on the wrist.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 05:14 AM   #26
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Definitely the Royal Oak.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 07:13 AM   #27
Burlington
"TRF" Member

You really have to figure out the basis for your decision.

The RO is the more special piece in terms of pure watch making.

That would swing it for me.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 07:30 AM   #28
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
If you have a 7 inch wrist, definitely don't get the 15450. While the dial may be a good size, the tapered bracelet is far too thin at the clasp.

A 7 inch wrist should be fine with either a 15400 or 15500.

I have a 6.5-6.75 wrist and the 15400 wears fine on me. Larger, but fine. See avatar.

At grey market pricing, I would take the RO over the Daytona. I love both wathces, but double retail is a non-starter for me.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 08:43 AM   #29
phow
"TRF" Member

Both are awesome for different reasons. My Rolex's are my favorite daily pieces and are more comfortable than the AP RO.

But my 15500ST puts every Rolex I have ever owned to shame when it comes to fit and finish. There is just no comparison. It's the only watch that I own which I find myself still staring at, like I did the first day I got it.

And I think the only reason these 2 are mentioned in the same breath is due to the ridiculous premiums the Daytona is currently commanding in the second hand market.

The Daytona feels like a 10k-15k watch. The RO feels like a 20k-30k watch.

If you can grab either of these at retail you have done well. The RO 15500ST non-blue dial is climbing closer and closer to 30k in the second hand market. It's likely it will cross 30k soon and it will be facing a similar dilemna as the Daytona for grey market buyers.

IMHO as much as I like both, neither are worth their current market values/premiums.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 08:53 AM   #30
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
The Daytona feels like a 10k-15k watch. The RO feels like a 20k-30k watch.
This, if your paying market price for both. The AP is definitely the only one of the 2 that feels like a 20k+ watch. The Daytona is vastly overpriced due to "hype".
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote