The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2020, 11:45 AM   #1
Ku5165
"TRF" Member

5402 Royal Oak Service Parts

Hi all,

Wanted some advice here. I've sent in a 5402 for service to AP. Clearwater kindly reached out and suggested some items ( also per my request) to replace:

1. Bracelet
2. Dial
3. Hands

I've asked them to replace bezel also. But they are getting back to me on that.

The dial was a service dial already with AP logo at 12 instead of 6. And I don't believe the hands matched. I'm thinking of going forward with those.

The bracelet on the other hand is costly and stretched. I'm debating this one and they said they won't return the old bracelet so this a big no for me.

What are you thoughts? Price is a definite consideration for me. I'm quite sure I don't intend to sell the watch, but in event things go south in life I may want to. Will any of these considerably negatively impact the value?

It should be noted all these parts are being remade as a part of a restoration program by AP to original specifications.

Would be glad to answer any questions and appreciate your feedback.
Ku5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 07:34 AM   #2
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Hi, since the dial was already a service dial replacing it with a service part
More true to the original won’t change anything to the value.
Old 1 March 2021, 01:25 PM   #3
charlie2888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku5165 View Post
It should be noted all these parts are being remade as a part of a restoration program by AP to original specifications.
Do you (or does anybody else) have any more information about this restoration program? I'm wondering if this portends anything about a 50th anniversary model...
charlie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 06:45 PM   #4
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Good call on getting a new bezel if the old one has seen to much refinishing in the past...
Do you have a picture of the current dial? Hands and dial depends on the state of the patina.
What is the quote on the bracelet? I would go for it if it's not outrageous, especially if you plan to be wearing the watch a lot.
Old 1 March 2021, 08:30 PM   #5
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
As far as the bracelet.. may I suggest you decline it while in their possession. Once they return timepiece back to you order the bracelet separately then you can keep both.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Ku5165
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6340 View Post
Hi, since the dial was already a service dial replacing it with a service part
More true to the original won’t change anything to the value.
I got a new dial and hands, it worked out well. Looks beautiful. Plan to keep it forever so no biggie if one day it leads to less value. That AP at 6oclock is stunning.
Old 7 March 2021, 02:25 PM   #7
Ku5165
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2888 View Post
Do you (or does anybody else) have any more information about this restoration program? I'm wondering if this portends anything about a 50th anniversary model...
As far as I understand, it is currently only for the 5402/jumbo. Your best bet would be to call clearwater in Florida they can suggest the best thing for you. Very good customer service
Old 7 March 2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Ku5165
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Good call on getting a new bezel if the old one has seen to much refinishing in the past...
Do you have a picture of the current dial? Hands and dial depends on the state of the patina.
What is the quote on the bracelet? I would go for it if it's not outrageous, especially if you plan to be wearing the watch a lot.
Learning how to do multi quotes. I ended up replacing bezel, hands, dial and bracelet. Servicing the movement. They did a great job as expected. Bracelet was around $6.5k IIRC. It's currently back with them as the bracelet connection to the case is not what I would consider true to original design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_Watches View Post
As far as the bracelet.. may I suggest you decline it while in their possession. Once they return timepiece back to you order the bracelet separately then you can keep both.
I spoke with them to great extent and they agreed to let me keep the bracelet. I assume if someone says they lost the bracelet they have no option.

Picture before and after below

Old 8 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #9
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Did I understood well? 6500 dollar for the bracelet?

Im planing to replace my original bracelet (from 5402D) to keep as new in case I resell the watch. But 6500 dollar for a replacement that quite a lot.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2021, 11:19 PM   #10
Ku5165
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6340 View Post
Did I understood well? 6500 dollar for the bracelet?

Im planing to replace my original bracelet (from 5402D) to keep as new in case I resell the watch. But 6500 dollar for a replacement that quite a lot.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Yes you understood correct. Made to same specifications as original. Though I have noticed it doesn't wrap around the wrist like original so have asked them to check. There is a rigid connection to case instead of flexibile like original.