The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 June 2021, 11:54 AM   #1
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

durability of GP laureato ceramic finish

how durable is the finish for the ceramic laureato? i don't abuse my watches but do wear them around frequently. how does the ceramic hold up for daily wear? from my understanding it's pretty hard wearing but can chip?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 04:22 AM   #2
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
how durable is the finish for the ceramic laureato? i don't abuse my watches but do wear them around frequently. how does the ceramic hold up for daily wear? from my understanding it's pretty hard wearing but can chip?
I just purchased a 42mm Laureato in black ceramic. I was a bit nervous when it arrived but after rinsing it off and giving it a quick scrub it was in immaculate condition. It was advertised as mint and it certainly appeared so after I cleaned it off but part of me wonders if its a general property of ceramic models. You shouldn't really be able to scratch them, so the biggest concern would be chips.

I'm generally pretty careful with my watches but I don't baby them. Not a single mark so far but it's only been about a week. I'm really digging ceramic to be honest and if after several months of normal use it still looks so clean and minty I'm going to be a very big fan of the material.

GP does a great job in terms of finishing -- nice contrasting brushed at polished surfaces. I love the 100m water resistance (come on AP -- your ceramic models are like 20m). Going to try this out as my everyday/beater for a while and see how it does.
jgrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2023, 01:24 PM   #3
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

I’m interested in the GP ceramic as well and would appreciate any owner’s experience with this piece. I don’t see a lot of reports of chipping but not sure if it’s the watch being more durable or just no one report it.

This place seems way under the radar now that the hype on Laureato die down, and seems like it can be bought for its deep discount over the MSRP of over $20K. GP never really holds value but after market prices seem very compelling.

jgrpa, any pictures you can share?
Old 21 November 2023, 08:36 PM   #4
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I have owned and do own many ceramic watches... I have never seen or heard about anything chipping
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote