The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2017, 06:06 PM   #1
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster apollo soyuz 311.30.42.30.99.001

Hi all,
So I signed up here determined to find out more about Rolex watches and eventually to get me one. But a couple of weeks ago I discovered this Apollo SOYUZ watch - and I think instead of Rolex I now want to buy me one of those.
Would any owners like to share their findings in regards to this watch - issues or otherwise?
Regards,
-V
vladi123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 06:11 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think you'd be on the right track...one of the most stunning speedmasters that no pictures do justice:

This dial is very dynamic in various lightning and the meteorite dial truly complements the rich space history behind speedmaster. You cannot go wrong with this watch.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 06:20 PM   #3
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Looks stunning! How is the manual winding - is that something that you like? I find it intriguing, but at the same time super unusual - something I might forget doing from time to time)
Old 14 January 2017, 06:30 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post
Looks stunning! How is the manual winding - is that something that you like? I find it intriguing, but at the same time super unusual - something I might forget doing from time to time)
I think the winding thing is a personal thing too. Amongst speedmaster enthusiasts it's no secret that winding the watch every other day(or every day..whatever you're ritual is) adds a special connection to watch. Let's you take time to bond and admire the time piece a little closer. Some don't feel the same way though and find it a nuisance...it's never bothered me. I enjoy the small breaks when I'm bored to give it a couple turns. For me it's about thirty seconds every other day of winding.
Old 14 January 2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Hi

The Omega Apollo - Soyuz 35th anniversary Speedmaster is an absolute stunner, but incredibly rare so expect to pay a premium.

Quick search on chrono24 there were only 2 for sale.

I don't think you need to choose between Omega & Rolex, there's no reason you cant enjoy both.

I have 2 Omega's but like you joined the Rolex Forum to out more about the brand as I would like to add one to my small collection and I'm sure when I do I will enjoy them all equally.

Anyway good luck finding the watch you want - here's a quick link to a youtube vid from 2010 when the watch was launched.

https://youtu.be/C7bAb4WCZJU
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:08 PM   #6
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

I looked at Chrono, but I'm kind of hesitant about buying there. My hope is that come Basel - people in the US will start dumping their current watches to pay for new watches, so hopefully I will have a nice selection to choose from.
Thank you for the YouTube link - I'll check it out tomorrow when everyone wakes up)

Regards,
-V
Old 14 January 2017, 07:09 PM   #7
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC TTDS European
Sensui explained it perfectly.

Personally, I too don't mind manual winding my watch at all. But, I have to admit you may need to get use to it if you never had a manual wind watch before. No issues with the watch so far, had it for no. of years now. I've flipped a lot of watches in the past. It's still here. It's a keeper for me. Depending on which Rolex you're thinking of getting, it's a little more "special & unique" imho 😉

PS. The Rolex will naturally come after 😂

Here's my Apollo-Soyuz in the wild 😊 ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170114_170001.jpg (44.6 KB, 1229 views)
vkd668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:09 PM   #8
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think the winding thing is a personal thing too. Amongst speedmaster enthusiasts it's no secret that winding the watch every other day(or every day..whatever you're ritual is) adds a special connection to watch. Let's you take time to bond and admire the time piece a little closer. Some don't feel the same way though and find it a nuisance...it's never bothered me. I enjoy the small breaks when I'm bored to give it a couple turns. For me it's about thirty seconds every other day of winding.
Thank you!
Old 14 January 2017, 07:10 PM   #9
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you'd be on the right track...one of the most stunning speedmasters that no pictures do justice:

This dial is very dynamic in various lightning and the meteorite dial truly complements the rich space history behind speedmaster. You cannot go wrong with this watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkd668 View Post

Personally, I too don't mind manual winding my watch at all. But, I have to admit you may need to get use to it if you never had a manual wind watch before. No issues with the watch so far, had it for no. of years now. I've flipped a lot of watches in the past. It's still here. It's a keeper for meAttachment 817376. Depending on which Rolex you're getting, it's a little more "special & unique" imho 😉

Old 14 January 2017, 07:15 PM   #10
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Personally, I too don't mind manual winding my watch at all. But, I have to admit you may need to get use to it if you never had a manual wind watch before. No issues with the watch so far, had it for no. of years now. I've flipped a lot of watches in the past. It's still here. It's a keeper for me. Depending on which Rolex you're getting, it's a little more "special & unique" imho 😉

Glad to hear about no issues with the watch! Yes, Rolex now seems less interesting after I found out about this Omega!
Old 14 January 2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad to hear about no issues with the watch! Yes, Rolex now seems less interesting after I found out about this Omega!
It saddens me to hear you say Rolex now seems less appealing now you found this watch.. like I said in my previous post, there's no reason you cant enjoy both brands.

Anyway good luck finding the watch you want, but remember that this watch is coming up for around 7 years old, so unless its been locked in a safe un used for all those years you will need to factor in a service to the purchase price.. and make sure it comes with everything it was supplied with originally, correct box etc

Enjoy
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 01:02 AM   #12
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
It saddens me to hear you say Rolex now seems less appealing now you found this watch.. like I said in my previous post, there's no reason you cant enjoy both brands.

Anyway good luck finding the watch you want, but remember that this watch is coming up for around 7 years old, so unless its been locked in a safe un used for all those years you will need to factor in a service to the purchase price.. and make sure it comes with everything it was supplied with originally, correct box etc

Enjoy
This is a good point as far as service.. I initially was all set on getting a skydweller - and I still might if I don't find this Omega in good shape - I see there are a few brand new ones floating around. And another good point about making sure it comes with everything - this is the reason I didn't buy a brand new one from eBay - it didn't have the original box or certificate of Authenticity.. And Authentic Watches claim to have a brand new one, but they replace the original content with their own stuff, so I didn't go for it either. So will see, I might still end up with a skydweller after all))
Old 15 January 2017, 07:37 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Personally, I too don't mind manual winding my watch at all. But, I have to admit you may need to get use to it if you never had a manual wind watch before. No issues with the watch so far, had it for no. of years now. I've flipped a lot of watches in the past. It's still here. It's a keeper for me. Depending on which Rolex you're thinking of getting, it's a little more "special & unique" imho ��

PS. The Rolex will naturally come after ��

Here's my Apollo-Soyuz in the wild �� ...

That shark mesh.....looks great with the soyuz!
Old 15 January 2017, 09:45 AM   #14
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I can't help but say how this is my absolute favourite Speedmaster of all!!!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 01:05 PM   #15
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That shark mesh.....looks great with the soyuz!
You should try it....but only with the original Omega mesh! 😆

Old 17 January 2017, 06:42 AM   #16
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have this watch on a leather strap? I'm just curious what it might look like
Old 17 January 2017, 07:59 AM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Does anyone have this watch on a leather strap? I'm just curious what it might look like
Not my pics, but plenty of shots available....like every speedy on leather straps, it looks exquisite:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-...rite-le.48671/
Old 17 January 2017, 09:28 AM   #18
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not my pics, but plenty of shots available....like every speedy on leather straps, it looks exquisite:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-...rite-le.48671/
Great, I just signed up there the other day, but haven't paid attention to the thread you linked yet. Much appreciated!
Old 18 January 2017, 05:57 AM   #19
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Icon6

I never regretted getting this and will never flip it..
Hope this helps you in your decision...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1569.JPG (219.2 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1573.JPG (201.5 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1557.JPG (80.9 KB, 761 views)
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
venom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 06:53 AM   #20
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom43 View Post
I never regretted getting this and will never flip it..
Hope this helps you in your decision...
Looks great, appreciate you taking the time to post these!

As far as my decision - I'm hoping a few of these will be for sale sometime soon when people start saving for the new 2017 models. If not - I'm just going to get a meteorite Daytona then. I already sold my current Omega, so I'm currently watch-less - and there are quite a few meteorite Daytonas on ebay
Old 18 January 2017, 01:58 PM   #21
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
My first manual winding was an Omega. Coming from all automatic watches, i found manual winding a bit tedious at first. But you get used to it. It is rather inconvenient if it is going to be your only watch. But if you have more than a few, then manual wind wont matter that much. I found i have to manually wind my automatic watches as well, when time to pick one up to wear.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 03:18 PM   #22
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo View Post
My first manual winding was an Omega. Coming from all automatic watches, i found manual winding a bit tedious at first. But you get used to it. It is rather inconvenient if it is going to be your only watch. But if you have more than a few, then manual wind wont matter that much. I found i have to manually wind my automatic watches as well, when time to pick one up to wear.
I used to have a super cheap watch as a kid that I had to manually wind. Didn't bother me back then since I didn't even know there were other options - I just was super happy to have a watch to begin with. So not a big deal to me.

As far as multiple watches - I like several, but I hope to only have one. If I don't find this Omega - then it could be a meteorite Daytona. But as I just found out, the Daytona watches are only 38mm - not 40mm as advertised. And I thought 40mm already wasn't big enough. So I really just might get a Sky Dweller and call it a day. Hopefully something will pop up though - as far as Omega!
Old 18 January 2017, 03:48 PM   #23
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to have a super cheap watch as a kid that I had to manually wind. Didn't bother me back then since I didn't even know there were other options - I just was super happy to have a watch to begin with. So not a big deal to me.

As far as multiple watches - I like several, but I hope to only have one. If I don't find this Omega - then it could be a meteorite Daytona. But as I just found out, the Daytona watches are only 38mm - not 40mm as advertised. And I thought 40mm already wasn't big enough. So I really just might get a Sky Dweller and call it a day. Hopefully something will pop up though - as far as Omega!
I think you're making the right decision. If it's a one watch, get a Rolex. Hope to see your dreams come true and remember to show us!

Old 18 January 2017, 03:53 PM   #24
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Forgot something 😜.....20170118_103957.jpg

Imho, between the Daytona and Skydweller, you can't beat a classic. The quintessential Rolex is Daytona. My choice....

Old 18 January 2017, 04:09 PM   #25
JacksonStone
Banned

Count me as one of the people who found the manual winding a nuisance. Although, the real issue wasn't the winding so much as the movement won't hack. Since I like to set my watches exactly to the second, this annoyed me considerably. I didn't wear mine all the time, and would sometimes forget to wind it, so it would run down, meaning I'd have to reset it before wearing.

The best way to set the seconds is to move the hands slightly backwards when setting the time; this will cause the seconds hand to stop, but it isn't an exact science. Sometimes the seconds keep going; other times, the hand creeps backward. It often took me multiple tries to get it where I needed it. This made resetting a time-consuming PITA - although I should point out that mine also had a moonphase and date hand on a fourth register, so that complicated matters. A standard non-date Speedy will be easier to negotiate, but not any more exact when it comes to setting seconds. If you don't care about exact seconds, then there really is no problem. Wind and set. Done.

All that said, I've tried on the Soyez Speedy, and I think it is a stunner. I personally consider it one of the - if not the - best looking Speedies ever. If any Speedmaster is worth the hassle, it's that one.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 04:18 PM   #26
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
If it's a one watch, get a Rolex.
For me, the one watch is a Sub 116610LN. Nothing beats it, at least for me. If I think too much on the subject, I start hearing "King of kings and lord of lords" in my head, from Handel's Messiah.

That's when you know you've found the right watch...or need professional help. I'm still not sure which.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 04:41 PM   #27
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you're making the right decision. If it's a one watch, get a Rolex. Hope to see your dreams come true and remember to show us!

Thank you!
Old 18 January 2017, 04:53 PM   #28
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Imho, between the Daytona and Skydweller, you can't beat a classic. The quintessential Rolex is Daytona.
I really like the meteorite Daytona, but at the same time I really want a bigger watch. Would you happen to know the height of that Daytona? Seems like the width is 38.6mm instead of 40. I tried the skydweller ar my local AD, and I thought it was a perfect size - I wish they would make a meteorite dial for it..

Still want this Omega, though - I'm sure I'll find one. I kind of regret now not getting that brand new one from eBay a couple of days ago for 6 grand..
Old 18 January 2017, 04:57 PM   #29
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Count me as one of the people who found the manual winding a nuisance. Although, the real issue wasn't the winding so much as the movement won't hack.

If you don't care about exact seconds, then there really is no problem. Wind and set. Done.
Ya, that's me - it doesn't bother me, thankfully!
Old 18 January 2017, 05:01 PM   #30
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like the meteorite Daytona, but at the same time I really want a bigger watch. Would you happen to know the height of that Daytona? Seems like the width is 38.6mm instead of 40. I tried the skydweller ar my local AD, and I thought it was a perfect size - I wish they would make a meteorite dial for it..

Still want this Omega, though - I'm sure I'll find one. I kind of regret now not getting that brand new one from eBay a couple of days ago for 6 grand..
Sounds like you love the meteorite dial (can't blame you 😂) and also love to have a Rolex, and the means to get a Daytona meteorite. If I was you, I'd get the Omega Apollo-Soyuz and the Rolex Daytona. 2 great watches for the price of 1?