The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2018, 06:25 AM   #61
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3. View Post
I’ve not thought why I’d want the stickers off, in the past I have left the showroom gone home and removed them myself. I think now on reflection I was more pissed off with the hardball stance the manager adopted and considering I’ve been a regular and loyal customer it meant nothing to him.
So because of your loyalty to the Ad he is supposed to bend the rules for you and possibly lose his dealership with Rolex?

Wow you must be important.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:31 AM   #62
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
So because of your loyalty to the Ad he is supposed to bend the rules for you and possibly lose his dealership with Rolex?

Wow you must be important.
I think it's probably due to the fact that they never used to remove them. I've bought a few in the past from a big UK group and they didn't take the stickers off, they didn't offer, they just left them on but at that time you could find a SS Sub in the window. So basically what seems to have happened is that now they are doing better than ever they can dictate and do things that they never bothered to do before and they aren't even trying to pass it off as good service by preparing your watch fully on collection. The other annoyance is that there is no consistency or clarity as to whether it's actually a Rolex rule or the AD trying to make you feel even more privileged that they are dealing with you in the first place.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:03 PM   #63
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
From what I have been able to gleam from my trusted AD, NONE of these guidelines or practices to curtail flipping are mandatory, they are just suggested / recommended, so it's up to the individual AD's if they wanna actually follow suit or not. This may also mean that depending on who you are and what your relationship w/ AD is, they may treat you differently than the next guy that comes along and buys the same watch. It's all YMMV.
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:27 PM   #64
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-heffe View Post
Someone else put a theory forward that AD's are selling directly to the gray market. I don't think it's true for all AD's, but I absolutely believe it's going on.

The owner could sell directly to the grays and all the sales staff never even see certain watches. The sales staff are told they're required to remove stickers and register. The owner meanwhile has sold certain watches out the back door with stickers and blank cards.

It makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes the most sense. Great post.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #65
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
Same here ... I've purchased 2 watches from my AD this year alone, stickers were removed at point of purchase, as they always have been in the past (which is why I cant for the life of me understand the hype around this in particular).
You must not have read the OP or you didn’t understand it. There is no hype. The question was if the rule stands from Rolex that the AD MUST take the stickers off then how do all these greys have watches with stickers on them for sale?

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 December 2018, 02:30 PM   #66
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
You must not have read the OP or you didn’t understand it. There is no hype. The question was if the rule stands from Rolex that the AD MUST take the stickers off then how do all these greys have watches with stickers on them for sale?
Because grays still get them without or partial.

After November (some time) all ADs were ordered to take stickers off. It was a recommended guideline before. Now it is mandatory. I don't believe the guideline says ALL stickers...You can peel off the bezel stickers and it would still adhere to the new rules.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:05 PM   #67
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don’t understand why there should be this much tension and resistance around AD’s peeling off the stickers.

If your intention is to wear the watch as it is intended, peeling off the stickers is the naturally step. To not do so is like driving a new car off the dealer lot with all the protective film on, would any rational person do that? I highly doubt it.

But if your intention is to turn around and flip it for profit, then I see keeping the stickers intact as the natural inclination.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 03:38 PM   #68
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I’ve purchased about 6 watches this year from US AD’s. I’d say 2 of the 6 came to me with full stickers. I ship them all out of state to avoid taxes.
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 04:22 PM   #69
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I don’t understand why there should be this much tension and resistance around AD’s peeling off the stickers.

If your intention is to wear the watch as it is intended, peeling off the stickers is the naturally step. To not do so is like driving a new car off the dealer lot with all the protective film on, would any rational person do that? I highly doubt it.

But if your intention is to turn around and flip it for profit, then I see keeping the stickers intact as the natural inclination.
Most buyers aren't purchasing a Rolex a few times a year. It is a special occasion. Getting the watch with the stickers intact leaves it 'factory fresh' and it is only that way once. I like to take the stickers off myself, just like I resize the bracelet myself. The less the AD handles my watch after I've paid for it the better. And let's face it, taking the stickers off has done nothing to stop people from flipping a watch. TS's are still posting BNIB listings with stickers removed. ADs and Rolex should let buyers take their own stickers off if they want. Some like to leave a few in place I've noticed. Quit trying to drive parts of the consumer chain they have nothing to do with.

Rolex should just let the secondary market be whatever it is going to be. Rolex is the one in charge of the supply side. The grey don't control either side of the market, supply or demand. Why do they try to take the problem Rolex has caused out on the secondary market?
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 05:44 PM   #70
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
I should clarify ... what I meant by the hype was not about Rolex recommendations or rules, it was about how bent out of shape watch buyers get that a sticker or 3 is removed from the watch on purchase. I've had this done with me for over a decade and it doesnt bother me in the slightest, this is not a new phone or tablet we are purchasing, its an expensive watch/piece of jewellery (whatever your choice of description) and I've always seen it as part of the experiance personally.

As for the fact that grey dealers have watches in stock fully stickered etc ... I personally think its obvious that these watches are sourced directly from AD's ... where else would they come from? Rolex only ship to AD's. its not rocket science.

Rolex enforcing sticker removal and withholding cards is pissing against the wind ... it only effects the single watch buyer at the AD, it has absolutely zero impact on the grey, and thats what the Rolex sticker/card fiasco is supposed to be combatting against.

Smoke and mirrors.
Old 11 December 2018, 05:57 PM   #71
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-heffe View Post
Someone else put a theory forward that AD's are selling directly to the gray market. I don't think it's true for all AD's, but I absolutely believe it's going on.

The owner could sell directly to the grays and all the sales staff never even see certain watches. The sales staff are told they're required to remove stickers and register. The owner meanwhile has sold certain watches out the back door with stickers and blank cards.

It makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats exactly how I see this.
Old 11 December 2018, 07:59 PM   #72
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
What Rolex hasn't thought about is that they've created a new market. Watches with stickers on sell for more than without stickers. We are talking a few hundred bucks different.

Good job on Rolex creating this. (And I know they read this). Back to the drawing board with your micro-management.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:40 PM   #73
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
I should clarify ... what I meant by the hype was not about Rolex recommendations or rules, it was about how bent out of shape watch buyers get that a sticker or 3 is removed from the watch on purchase. I've had this done with me for over a decade and it doesnt bother me in the slightest, this is not a new phone or tablet we are purchasing, its an expensive watch/piece of jewellery (whatever your choice of description) and I've always seen it as part of the experiance personally.

As for the fact that grey dealers have watches in stock fully stickered etc ... I personally think its obvious that these watches are sourced directly from AD's ... where else would they come from? Rolex only ship to AD's. its not rocket science.

Rolex enforcing sticker removal and withholding cards is pissing against the wind ... it only effects the single watch buyer at the AD, it has absolutely zero impact on the grey, and thats what the Rolex sticker/card fiasco is supposed to be combatting against.

Smoke and mirrors.
I probably should’ve made it clear in my original post that I couldn’t care less if the AD takes the stickers off my watch when I buy it. I hate doing it myself. I didn’t start this thread to complain about stickers as so many posting think. I wanted to have a discussion to see if the AD’s other people visit around the country/world are telling them the same thing the 15 or so AD’s I have visited in the last two months have told me. That is that Rolex made it mandatory for them to remove all stickers from every piece that leaves their store. (I have never heard one AD say Rolex told them to keep the card for a certain amount of time after purchase.). I have asked this because I find it interesting when the sales managers tell me this and they are very sincere, and then I see all the top sought after models being sold with stickers on. Because there’s only a few things that could be reality. First they ALL are lying to me and Rolex never told them that. Second many AD’s don’t give a crap what Rolex tells them and are doing what they want anyway. And a third theory put forth by gentleman on this thread that makes complete sense, the owners of these private AD’s are sneaking the pieces out to the greys without telling his/her employees.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 December 2018, 09:19 PM   #74
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I probably should’ve made it clear in my original post that I couldn’t care less if the AD takes the stickers off my watch when I buy it. I hate doing it myself. I didn’t start this thread to complain about stickers as so many posting think. I wanted to have a discussion to see if the AD’s other people visit around the country/world are telling them the same thing the 15 or so AD’s I have visited in the last two months have told me. That is that Rolex made it mandatory for them to remove all stickers from every piece that leaves their store. (I have never heard one AD say Rolex told them to keep the card for a certain amount of time after purchase.). I have asked this because I find it interesting when the sales managers tell me this and they are very sincere, and then I see all the top sought after models being sold with stickers on. Because there’s only a few things that could be reality. First they ALL are lying to me and Rolex never told them that. Second many AD’s don’t give a crap what Rolex tells them and are doing what they want anyway. And a third theory put forth by gentleman on this thread that makes complete sense, the owners of these private AD’s are sneaking the pieces out to the greys without telling his/her employees.
I believe its mandatory, (there was a thread with the official Rolex memo), but also believe (as in my case) that the AD's use their discretion. My AD has only ever discussed how difficult some models are to get in stock and dont go in to the finer details of their relationship with Rolex, they have Hublot, PP, AP, Tudor, JLC, Panerai and a few other watches in their showrooms, so there is no shortage of sales for them if one item in the watch world is not in stock. They still deal with me the same as they did over the past 20 yrs, so I guess their credibility and service with their client base is more important to them than enforcing rules on the minimal amount of stock they actually receive from 1 brand.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #75
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

The underlying reason for dealers selling to Greys OR genuine end users is simple. They want to sell them. I think in general people on forums forget in practice we are talking about a fairly substantial investment and not everyone on the lists can come up with cash. A Daytona is an easy sale we all know that but a Grey taking a Daytona along with a Migauss or a couple of DJs is a different option to the AD. I bought a Batman a couple or three years ago when they had just come out. I asked the AD to put my name down for one. They knew I had bought watches before from them. The reply was “maybe a couple of years.?”. I got it six weeks later. When I queried it, her actual words were “ we want our year end bonus and we have to get stock out of the door, not everyone who wants a watch will actually buy it the day it is offered”. Same story with my 39m Explorer. It came out at Baselworld and I asked two or three ADs about availability. Same story “Put your name down” on about the eighth call the AD said. “ if I had one would you buy it now over the phone?” I did and when I went to pick it up I asked how I was so lucky. The reply was “We have a waiting list for them, the first three people on it wanted to think about it, you rang up and it’s end of Q1 sales and we want the numbers in. Very similar to any other business!
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #76
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by G M Francis View Post
The underlying reason for dealers selling to Greys OR genuine end users is simple. They want to sell them. I think in general people on forums forget in practice we are talking about a fairly substantial investment and not everyone on the lists can come up with cash. A Daytona is an easy sale we all know that but a Grey taking a Daytona along with a Migauss or a couple of DJs is a different option to the AD. I bought a Batman a couple or three years ago when they had just come out. I asked the AD to put my name down for one. They knew I had bought watches before from them. The reply was “maybe a couple of years.?”. I got it six weeks later. When I queried it, her actual words were “ we want our year end bonus and we have to get stock out of the door, not everyone who wants a watch will actually buy it the day it is offered”. Same story with my 39m Explorer. It came out at Baselworld and I asked two or three ADs about availability. Same story “Put your name down” on about the eighth call the AD said. “ if I had one would you buy it now over the phone?” I did and when I went to pick it up I asked how I was so lucky. The reply was “We have a waiting list for them, the first three people on it wanted to think about it, you rang up and it’s end of Q1 sales and we want the numbers in. Very similar to any other business!

It’s that simple. Well stated!
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:17 AM   #77
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Just bought a Tudor yesterday and they removed all stickers. I asked if they were told to do that by Rolex/Tudor and she said yes and the "even had to sign a contract" whatever that means. She did give me the coffin box surprisingly
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:47 AM   #78
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

given these ADs often need to remodel their stores to have at least an entire wall of ROLEX just to keep their dealer status, i dont blame them. also the sticker policy doesnt bother me. if you want to make the rules, start the next marketing kingpin/watch company yourself
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #79
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
So, if you purchase a new PM watch and you lose your job (and health insurance) and your kid was recently diagnosed with cancer, you may need to sell a watch or all of them, but you can't sell your most recent purchase because your AD is holding the warranty card? Come on!

On Saturday (two days ago now), I purchased a 126660 DSSD D-Blue from a new AD in San Diego. The Boutique manager did remove most (not all) of the stickers, but filled out the warranty card with my name, registered it in my name, and gave me the full set (sans stickers and no coffin), but still I got everything.

What did the manager do to send your name to Rolex for registration? I know the sale of the watch is passed to Rolex, but I didn't think the name of the buyer was.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #80
05carbondrz
Banned

They are lying,Like usual.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #81
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
When I purchased my Exp II in Norway in August I walked in as a completely ignorant Rolex buyer. I tried it on and chatted for a while as I thought about it. I said I'll take it, gave the Manager my credit card and she processed the sale while another salesperson adjusted the strap. I walked out with everything except stickers in about 20 minutes. The warranty card was registered but the name line was blank. As I was leaving the Manager called out to me reminding me to keep the box and all papers and tags for the future since it makes the watch more valuable. Since my watch and a Milgauss were the only two SS "sport" watches in the case she was probably happy to get rid of it.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote