The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 June 2019, 08:01 AM   #361
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimamy View Post
That makes sense. The coin edge is different on the 'kuda bezel. Did you take any pictures by chance?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:48 AM   #362
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post

Looks great, it’s appears while the milspec Dial has a sunburst element, this one looks matte?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:51 AM   #363
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Looks great, it’s appears while the milspec Dial has a sunburst element, this one looks matte?

Yes. Matte dial (a shade or two lighter than black).

Old 29 June 2019, 11:52 AM   #364
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Thoughts on Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

Quote:
Yes. Matte dial (a shade or two lighter than black).

I let my milspec go but am excited to add this one

The chrono looks sick too but as your pic, too large for 6.5

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 01:30 PM   #365
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I let my milspec go but am excited to add this one

The chrono looks sick too but as your pic, too large for 6.5

The air command was definitely a great piece, but a bit too large and thick for my wrists as well unfortunately.

Old 30 June 2019, 07:33 AM   #366
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Had a chance to try on the air command and kuda today. I have to say, both fantastic pieces. The bezel knurling and clicky-ness is an improvement over the Milspec. I also found it wore slightly larger than the milspec as well (which is a plus to me). Just wish it was slightly more different than my milspec, but alas. To those that are getting one, you'll love it
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed it appears to be on a standard FF strap and not the one shown at its debut. Any clue why they put it on the OG strap?
Old 30 June 2019, 08:00 AM   #367
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed it appears to be on a standard FF strap and not the one shown at its debut. Any clue why they put it on the OG strap?
Asked that as well. It's a prototype, so they had the standard sailcloth on it.

Old 1 July 2019, 01:48 AM   #368
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Asked that as well. It's a prototype, so they had the standard sailcloth on it.

Got it. Thanks
Old 2 July 2019, 12:00 AM   #369
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060;124270
Barakuda for Only Watch 2019. A unique watch with a different color scheme from the LE Barakuda.
Alimamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 01:59 AM   #370
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Barakuda for Only Watch 2019. A unique watch with a different color scheme from the LE Barakuda.
I love this. Still wish the minute indices went around the entire bezel though.

Old 2 July 2019, 09:41 AM   #371
Marchy
"TRF" Member

Now we're talking. This is gorgeous! I wonder how much it will eventually go for in the auction
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 10:45 AM   #372
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
Now we're talking. This is gorgeous! I wonder how much it will eventually go for in the auction
Hopefully it goes for a lot of money to add to their cause. The 2017 Mil-Spec for Only Watch realised a price around $54,000
Old 2 July 2019, 02:35 PM   #373
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Barakuda for Only Watch 2019.
As much as I love the recent Barakuda LE, this is the version they should have released instead. Stunning.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 03:17 AM   #374
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
As much as I love the recent Barakuda LE, this is the version they should have released instead. Stunning.
I tend to agree. I think white lume looks cleaner. The higher contrast is a better design philosophy for a diver and is arguably more in line with the intent of the original. It is a reissue of the *spirit* of the original. I think the unbleached lume is meant to mimic patina, which clashes with the newness of the release.

But that's just my opinion at the moment! We often love watches that others don't, or see things a different way.
Old 5 July 2019, 11:37 AM   #375
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Finally had an opportunity to see the 2019 Novelties at the NYC Boutique.

Originally, when I saw the May 17th announcement, I called the boutique to place my name on the list for the Barakuda. But, then I kept seeing all these photos of the Air Command. I started questioning my decision. After an agonizing internal debate, I decided to call the boutique and requested she transfer my deposit to the Air Command.

Once I saw the prototypes in the flesh, I knew I made the right decision. Even when I had the Barakuda on my wrist, it felt like the Air Command had seized control on my eyes. I could not stay focused on the Barakuda. I kept looking at the Air Command.

I simply could not put the Air Command down. This is a phenomenal Tribute to a historic piece.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Barakuda. This is another great Tribute to a historic piece. But, it did not have the same affect on me. I could not stop looking at the Air Command.

It's never easy making these decisions, especially when all you have to go off are the photos online. Fortunately, the boutique had the prototypes available to help me reaffirm my decision.

Unfortunately, they did not have the Barakuda on the default Tropic strap.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:54 PM   #376
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Thanks for the photos I really hope my deposit scores me the Barakuda from NYC. I am in love with this watch
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 09:21 PM   #377
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Thanks for the photos I really hope my deposit scores me the Barakuda from NYC. I am in love with this watch
I can’t see why you won’t get one, especially since they took a deposit from you. The real question is “When?”!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 09:56 PM   #378
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I can’t see why you won’t get one, especially since they took a deposit from you. The real question is “When?”!
I am in a good spot numbers wise on the list. 4th. They "assume" they will get between 8-10, based on how many MIL-SPECS they got, but they had to be clear that if for some reason they were to only get 3, welp, I'm SOL. I think I am in good shape. As you say, my biggest concern is/should be when. They seemed to guesstimate October +/- a month. I just know I am looking forward to it.
Old 15 July 2019, 10:09 PM   #379
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am in a good spot numbers wise on the list. 4th. They "assume" they will get between 8-10, based on how many MIL-SPECS they got, but they had to be clear that if for some reason they were to only get 3, welp, I'm SOL. I think I am in good shape. As you say, my biggest concern is/should be when. They seemed to guesstimate October +/- a month. I just know I am looking forward to it.
October is a good guess for when they start rolling in, I believe that's when the Milspec strarted to show up. Being 4th on the list, it might trickle into 2020 for you though.

Old 18 July 2019, 04:11 AM   #380
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
For someone who still is looking for a MIL-SPEC/Milspec. A big AD (Schaap & Citroen) in the Netherlands has the FF with steel bracelet (5008-1130-71S) in stock. It is not for me, I made a deposit and I am waiting on the Barakuda.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:01 AM   #381
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
October is a good guess for when they start rolling in, I believe that's when the Milspec strarted to show up. Being 4th on the list, it might trickle into 2020 for you though.
Yeah, 4th may push me a bit. My fingers are crossed. Trying to work a deal with my Rolex AD right now so I have something to look forward to between now and then. Heh. Addiction to collecting is a wonderful thing.
Old 18 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #382
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

I had the pleasure of viewing the Hodinkeescaphe.
Old 18 July 2019, 09:33 AM   #383
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, 4th may push me a bit. My fingers are crossed. Trying to work a deal with my Rolex AD right now so I have something to look forward to between now and then. Heh. Addiction to collecting is a wonderful thing.
Haha. Any clues on what your potential Rolex incoming might be?

Old 18 July 2019, 09:39 AM   #384
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had the pleasure of viewing the Hodinkeescaphe.

Thanks for posting - it’s nice but I’m glad I passed. Looks kind of blah for $10k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 11:01 AM   #385
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Just ordered a FF Bathyscaphe today. Should be here Wednesday next week, I’ll post an incoming thread with pics when it arrives!

43mm version with box and papers from 2018 just one year old in like new condition, picked it up for only $6400!
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 11:22 AM   #386
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha. Any clues on what your potential Rolex incoming might be?
Was going to be a blue dial WG Pepsi until that went down in flames. I have a great AD, but their regional guy told them I could have it in 3 months, I put in a full deposit, and then three weeks later the regional guy calls and says all numbers for him have been cut to nil through the end of the year on both the meteorite and blue dial versions. Bleh. So no blue dial Pepsi for me.

The AD, who I have done a good bit of business with is trying to do the right thing by me with some significant discounts on a couple different models of PM Daytonas and DDs I am also interested in. Just seeing if we can make the availability, desire, and price lines all intersect where all parties are happy. I can tell you the 116509 blue dial is singing loudly to me right now.

We shall see how things work out. Might just have to settle for waiting for the Barakuda, but i have been itching to add a PM Rolex for awhile...
Old 18 July 2019, 11:55 AM   #387
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Can’t wait for my FF to come.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 11:56 AM   #388
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was going to be a blue dial WG Pepsi until that went down in flames. I have a great AD, but their regional guy told them I could have it in 3 months, I put in a full deposit, and then three weeks later the regional guy calls and says all numbers for him have been cut to nil through the end of the year on both the meteorite and blue dial versions. Bleh. So no blue dial Pepsi for me.

The AD, who I have done a good bit of business with is trying to do the right thing by me with some significant discounts on a couple different models of PM Daytonas and DDs I am also interested in. Just seeing if we can make the availability, desire, and price lines all intersect where all parties are happy. I can tell you the 116509 blue dial is singing loudly to me right now.

We shall see how things work out. Might just have to settle for waiting for the Barakuda, but i have been itching to add a PM Rolex for awhile...
Interesting they cut regional distribution for the WG Pepsi. Could they still deliver it next year? Either way, the 116509 dial is killer and I’d imagine be more than sufficient as a distraction until the Kuda.

Old 18 July 2019, 11:57 AM   #389
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Just ordered a FF Bathyscaphe today. Should be here Wednesday next week, I’ll post an incoming thread with pics when it arrives!

43mm version with box and papers from 2018 just one year old in like new condition, picked it up for only $6400!
Congrats on a killer watch and a great price.

Old 18 July 2019, 07:55 PM   #390
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting they cut regional distribution for the WG Pepsi. Could they still deliver it next year? Either way, the 116509 dial is killer and I’d imagine be more than sufficient as a distraction until the Kuda.
Yeah, I have zero knowledge of the inner working of Rolex distribution. That said, the AD was very forthcoming with details on this particular deal. It is quite clear that for this watch, which is a "special order" type situation for them (small AD would never be allocated one without specifically requesting it), they go through a regional rep that it sounds like is NYC based out of RUSA. The regional guy/gal gets "allocations" for his/her region, and then he parses them out to his "ADs" within that footprint. He thought he had a few blue/meteorite allocations this year, and so I was the first request for the blue dial, ergo, I would get the first one. Well, he says his allocation went from few to nil. So no blue dial.

The AD was brutally honest though, and said "Of course perhaps he is still getting allocated some of these but just decided to send them elsewhere." Direct quote. I found that to be interesting. I would assume this means small town low volume ADs get "run over" by larger market ADs in the allocations game at times, which makes sense I suppose.

At any rate kind of a cruddy deal, but it looks like it will result in me getting a quite nice discount on another PM piece (the blue dial was no discount don't bother asking type of deal) that I really like, so all's well that ends well I suppose. And I got more info on the "inner workings" of Rolex. I should also say this one data point may not be accurate at all for how SS watches, or non hot models or whatever are distributed.

And yes, I know not everyone fell in love with the 509 after John Mayer lavished praise on it, but I love it.

Side note but related to above: I always thought it was weird how John Mayer says the YG Green dial and the WG Blue dial are likely future collectibles, and the Green dial absolutely takes off, while the Blue dial just kind of keeps moving along doing nothing. Granted, the green dial was more popular before the interview, but nothing like after the interview - it went FOMO moon shot. The blue dial has stayed relatively easy to get and trades a little below MSRP on the secondary market. Meanwhile you can't sell a kid to get a green dial. Odd. Lucky for me though. If they both got hot I wouldn't be possibly getting a blue dial.