The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2017, 12:54 PM   #1
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Advise for temporary move to Germany

Dear watch lovers,

I am moving from California to Munich Germany for a project (about a half year) and want to take 1-2 watches with me.

Is it safe to wear a TT D41 or is it better to wear a D41 with fluted white bezel to attract less attention? Or just a SS Sub?

Are Germans fine with other people wearing yellow gold or are they jealous and would get "offended"?

To any Germans in this forum please don't take my question wrong! I've never dealt with Germans before and just want to avoid any mistakes! Btw I love your cars and beer!

Any advise and feedback is highly appreciated !
Alex
Old 20 June 2017, 01:02 PM   #2
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
You do realize Germany has a higher standard of living than the US eh? It's safer, cleaner, less violent...
Old 20 June 2017, 01:28 PM   #3
.db
"TRF" Member

I used to live in Munich. No one there will get offended. Enjoy your time — it's a great city!
Old 20 June 2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Maximaus
"TRF" Member

Hi, that is so funny... you really have no idea how rich and posh Munich is. Hope you do some serious research before moving to Germany ...
Old 20 June 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Yes I know and it has a great social and education system and it has the 4th highest GDP in the world and is very eco friendly at the same time.

I've been to the Netherlands, which also offers a higher standard of living than the US but it was... let's say not smart to wear a yellow gold watch. People there were (what I really like and appreciate) very down to earth and I got negative reactions from co-workers most of the time (it was the opposite in Singapore, Shanghai, etc.).

Therefore I am asking how people may react in Germany and if it's more common, etc.

My question about "being safe" was regarding the refugee issue. I read a lot recently but I've no worries that I'm not safe in Munich. I just don't know how things are going over there and any advise would be highly appreciated.

In my case I would say San Francisco is absolutely safe but I would not recommend wearing a gold watch after 2 a.m. if you are away from the main streets.

Alex
Old 20 June 2017, 01:43 PM   #6
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Ibtl

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 20 June 2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
Dear watch lovers,

I am moving from California to Munich Germany for a project (about a half year) and want to take 1-2 watches with me.

Is it safe to wear a TT D41 or is it better to wear a D41 with fluted white bezel to attract less attention? Or just a SS Sub?

Are Germans fine with other people wearing yellow gold or are they jealous and would get "offended"?

To any Germans in this forum please don't take my question wrong! I've never dealt with Germans before and just want to avoid any mistakes! Btw I love your cars and beer!

Any advise and feedback is highly appreciated !
Alex
Oh my goodness....
Old 20 June 2017, 02:09 PM   #8
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR

I'm thinking they will be okay with a little gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 June 2017, 02:39 PM   #9
kearez
"TRF" Member

Munich is beautiful city, I love it there. The TT Datejust won't be an issue at all. Munich is a very wealthy city and I'm sure you will see plenty of other people wearing Rolex's. I'd advise to start learning German now...
Old 20 June 2017, 02:45 PM   #10
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Oh my goodness....
Well said. Par for the course for most "is it safe" threads.
Old 20 June 2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post

To any Germans in this forum please don't take my question wrong! I've never dealt with Germans before and just want to avoid any mistakes!
Dude you can't just generalize an entire country of people. That is like saying "Are all Americans jealous of people wearing Rolex watches?" It depends which particular american you run into...

TLDR: Every person is different and they all have their own thoughts / ideas
Old 20 June 2017, 03:05 PM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry but this thread is a mess.
Old 20 June 2017, 03:35 PM   #13
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Wow, really ??
I can understand trying to do some general research on an area before going, but this one is truly popcorn worthy. Sorry OP you posed the question...you're going to get some more interesting responses before the thread is moved, locked etc.
Old 20 June 2017, 04:10 PM   #14
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I do find some of these posts a little funny, but then I live in the U.K. and have travelled extensively throughout the world (great being a hairdresser). I think (hope) perhaps it's more how a question is posed than the actual 'is it safe', particularly here. Certain cultures are more or less showy and some cultures frown upon gold. Why not use this forum of well-travelled and cultured people to help educate. Alex, it's a great city and as discussed relatively affluent. As in every big city worldwide it's not without issues. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 20 June 2017, 04:23 PM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

OP isn't off to a great start, lol...
Old 20 June 2017, 04:32 PM   #16
benjamin0
"TRF" Member

I was in Munich last November, pretty cool place, less showy(compared to a lot of US cities) but I don't think anyone would get offended with a gold watch.
Old 20 June 2017, 04:33 PM   #17
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
I would not change who I am usually to fit in anywhere, wear what you would usually wear here. My father lived in Germany for two years and told me that in Germany they have better technology, this was in the 70's so I don't know if that is true anymore.
Closed Thread