The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2017, 05:35 AM   #1
Pwbignose
"TRF" Member

Rare Rolex Tudor Oyster Prince perpetual

I need help on a Rolex tudor prince oyster, case back stamped "original oyster case by rolex geneve" model reference nr. 7965. Case ref nr. 444191, bought in 1966, but believed to be made in 1965,

Description from valuation,
A gents Tudor Oyster Prince automatic wrist watch on bracelet, circular black dial, gilt hour markers, silver/luminous hands with seconds sweep, dial signed "Tudor Oyster Prince Rotor self winding Swiss", to a stainless steel case, measuring 34.5mm diameter, plain polished bezel, to an oyster link bracelet, fastening with a fold over catch, case back stamped with "Rolex" symbol, stamped original Oyster Case by Rolex Geneve,

I have scoured the internet and not been able to find any rolex that looks anywhere near mine, I have been told it is a rare Tudor Prince as no one has seen one like it, unusual characterist is at 12 it has 3 bars instead of the usual 2

Can anyone help to value it
Pwbignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:59 AM   #2
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
Pics are definitely required. Welcome!
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 03:31 PM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwbignose View Post
I need help on a Rolex tudor prince oyster, case back stamped "original oyster case by rolex geneve" model reference nr. 7965. Case ref nr. 444191, bought in 1966, but believed to be made in 1965,

I have scoured the internet and not been able to find any rolex that looks anywhere near mine, I have been told it is a rare Tudor Prince as no one has seen one like it, unusual characterist is at 12 it has 3 bars instead of the usual 2
sorry to burst your bubble but 7965s were a popular watch when new and they sold by the bushel. Thanks to their superior oyster case IMHO more % of them survived the past 50yrs than any other watch with leaky dusty cases.

7965 is mid 60s and they had a wide range of factory dials available - different colours, different batons or numbers etc. there's also a big aftermarket that made rials, bezels, bracelets etc

Less common are some like "tuxedo" but they too haven't climbed to crazy price levels unlike its Rolex cousins from the same era.

tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 11:14 PM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ive seen a triple bar at the 12 a few times. It is most likely a rarer dial but just because its rarer doesnt mean it will add value to the watch. There were so many dial variations that it is inconsequential to the value. The only way the value would increase is if it had gilt lettering or was sold by a large retailer who printed their name on the dial and was also stamped on the paperwork like Tiffany, etc
Old 17 October 2017, 11:26 PM   #5
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Haven't yet seen any Tudor OysterPrince double branded, now that you mention it.
Old 4 November 2017, 05:00 AM   #6
Pwbignose
"TRF" Member

I have sent this watch to various dealers and so called experts for valuation, none have seen a watch like this, I have now been invited on antique road show, as for cheap as chips, I have seen 100s of submariner watches on the net worth 5k plus but never seen one like mine l will try to post a photo
Old 4 November 2017, 05:24 AM   #7
offrdmania

Quote:
I have sent this watch to various dealers and so called experts for valuation, none have seen a watch like this, I have now been invited on antique road show, as for cheap as chips, I have seen 100s of submariner watches on the net worth 5k plus but never seen one like mine l will try to post a photo
Until we can see pics, we cant evaluate the watch. Most experts on here will know more than the "experts" on the roadshow as this forum is a plethora of knowledge. I wouldnt be surprised if the expert on the roadshow ends up contacting someone on this site for information.
Old 4 November 2017, 05:26 AM   #8
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Like this?? The second one is on Chrono24 for $1775.

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 05:45 AM   #9
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Photos are a must. It is a nice and reliable piece if the past 50 years have been kind. And a decent one is probably worth 20 times the purchase price (then about $25USD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Like this?? The second one is on Chrono24 for $1775.
Probably has been on C24 for a long time too, at that price.
Old 4 November 2017, 06:30 AM   #10
offrdmania

If what you are talking about is the 7965s just posted above, then I just sold this 1961 Model 7966 about 9 months ago for $880 US on an original 7205 rivet bracelet. This dial is a very common dial configuration on Tudors 7965/7966s in the early 1960s.

Old 4 November 2017, 03:57 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have sent this watch to various dealers and so called experts for valuation, none have seen a watch like this, I have now been invited on antique road show, as for cheap as chips, I have seen 100s of submariner watches on the net worth 5k plus but never seen one like mine
7965 is not a Submariner

Tudor is not a Rolex

Tudor subs usually a bigger case than 7965

Tudor vintage subs resell for a fraction of what same age/condition Rolex sub

etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Photos are a must. It is a nice and reliable piece if the past 50 years have been kind. And a decent one is probably worth 20 times the purchase price (then about $25USD)
Probably has been on C24 for a long time too, at that price.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
If what you are talking about is the 7965s just posted above, then I just sold this 1961 Model 7966 about 9 months ago for $880 US on an original 7205 rivet bracelet. This dial is a very common dial configuration on Tudors 7965/7966s in the early 1960s.
oh hey, coincidence - so happens there's a 7966 on wrist now.
Recent arrival into watchbox, yup concur on market rates, hasn't moved IMHO.

If you've got the actual Tuxedo used in MadMen tv series with proper certificated providence then yeah, you might get a rabid tv fan to bid it up to $10k
Old 5 November 2017, 03:38 AM   #12
Pwbignose
"TRF" Member

Not submariner

I never said it was a submariner, l was making a point that there was a lot of submariner s about, and it is a Rolex, it was made by Rolex and serviced by Rolex and the case is a 7965, and it's in mint condition, and the photo of the Tudor without the strap is very simular
Old 5 November 2017, 04:17 AM   #13
offrdmania

Rare Rolex Tudor Oyster Prince perpetual

Quote:
I never said it was a submariner, l was making a point that there was a lot of submariner s about, and it is a Rolex, it was made by Rolex and serviced by Rolex and the case is a 7965, and it's in mint condition, and the photo of the Tudor without the strap is very simular

7965 is a Tudor model number, not Rolex. The Oyster case was made by Rolex, that you are correct. But all Tudor Oyster cases back then were made by Rolex.

All Tudor oyster cases back then said. "Original Oyster Case By Rolex Geneva" on the case back. Even mine did, but its still a Tudor.

Im still trying to figure out how yours is different than other Tudors of the 1960s and what makes it so "rare" that these so called "experts" couldnt find.

Why wont you post a pic and put the matter to rest? We can only speculate by your original description and I think we did a great job of guessing.
Old 9 November 2017, 10:13 AM   #14
kippyhunt
"TRF" Member

Still NO Pic?

...from the OP - I wonder why?
kippyhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:00 AM   #15
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Guess he did not like what the TRF thought about this watch. I did not think you get invited to the Antique Roadshow, you get a ticket.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote