The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 16 January 2011, 10:46 AM   #31
Nicko
Banned

My 1976 5 mil series 1680 was purchased used and it's worth LOTS more than when it was new...

Maybe they should have charged you extra, after all it is closer to being vintage.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 12:26 PM   #32
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
Guess you really are a neophyte as your user name suggests. Rolex sometimes sit in stores for years before they are sold. I purchased a new DateJust this year and it was a Z serial. Doesn't mean it's not new, just means that it is an older serial. If you go into any AD and ask to see a watch, chances are it's been in the case for at least a year.

You need to do some research before you start throwing around the idea of lawsuits, just as you should do when you buy anything expensive. You should have asked what serial it was before you purchased it if you were worried about it being old. The AD is in the right not offering you a refund or return too. When you bought the watch you entered into a contract. You may not have signed anything but it was a contract nonetheless. The terms are stipulated in the form of the receipt that was given to you after you paid. When you took possession of the watch, and the receipt, you agreed to the terms of the contract. In it I'm sure it details under which circumstances a return/exchange is permitted. You essentially don't want the watch because it's an older serial, not because it's defective or used (meaning it has been sold, as new, before.)

In order to win in small claims you would have to prove they sold the watch used. And that’s just to get a refund. If you wanted damages beyond that you’d have to prove they knew it was used and sold it to you anyway. All Mayors has to do is prove the watch has never been sold before. A quick call to Rolex should solve that problem.

In short, you have no cause of action. Consider this some free legal advice. I just saved you a few hundred bucks for a consult. Enjoy your new watch!
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 02:09 AM   #33
dmh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TUDOR Sub 7928
I have been dealing with Mayors in Atlanta for several years ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
I want to let folks know of a bad experience at an AD (Mayors Jewelers in Atlanta). I bought a "new" Rolex SS Datejust watch in November 2010 from them. When I bought the watch, I had no reason to believe it was anything but new. I had looked at used Rolexes at the store, and didn't buy used. The salesperson knew fully well I wanted a "new" watch.

A month later when I received the warranty papers by mail, I found out the watch has an M serial number. Along with the clasp code, it points to a 2008 manufacturing date. I was shocked. It totally evaporated the euphoria and thrill of owning a Rolex, something I had looked forward to for years and years. Everything I read on this forum and other Rolex aficionado sites and Ebay listings corroborates the 2008 date. I hate taking a two and a half year depreciation hit the moment I buy a watch. Now I'm not even sure it's brand new.

I asked the AD to exchange the watch (first choice) or refund my money. They won't talk to me any more. Going to take them to court - may be throwing "good money after bad", but this is the only catharisis for me.
and they have always been good to deal with on used watches that look brand new. I deal with only one person. I tell them what I'm looking for and the price range I want to be in. When something comes up, they give me a call. At first they were surprised when I wanted to know the serial number. They had to check and call me back. Now they know that is the first thing I want to know. I already know the watch will look new and have a warranty like a new one. They are just not accustomed to dealing with collectors and the serial number is not that important to the sales person. All they know is it's a new or used watch. Remember, they sell jewelry and other junk too. Sorry you have a bad taste for them.
Best to all,
dmh
dmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 05:07 AM   #34
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Enjoy the watch. It WAS a new watch you got. This is likely part of the reason Rolex changed to random serial so people won't be able to tell when the watch case was stamped. My AD loves the new random serial since they get asked the year of production...etc even though to Rolex, those are brand new.

It's not that different from you going into a car dealership and bought a 2010 model year new car.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 06:33 AM   #35
neophyte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
Would a z or random serial Datejust be worth more on the used market than an M serial ?
Exactly the point I was trying to make - yes! I have collected extensive data from sale listings (for different models) to prove that a V or random serial watch sells at a lesser discount to "list price" than a M serial. This makes a difference to those of us who may have to sell the watch in the first 8-10 years of ownership. Doesn't make a difference to those who don't intend to sell.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 06:42 AM   #36
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Not to hijack, but what bothers me more, is that Mayors SENDS you the warranty card. Personally, I would never walk out of an AD having just bought a watch WITHOUT the warranty card in hand.

I guess I'm not buying from Mayors then...
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 06:46 AM   #37
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
Not to hijack, but what bothers me more, is that Mayors SENDS you the warranty card. Personally, I would never walk out of an AD having just bought a watch WITHOUT the warranty card in hand.

I guess I'm not buying from Mayors then...
That is unfortunately their policy.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 06:49 AM   #38
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Neophyte- It's all good man. Your watch is no doubt brand new. Congrats!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 07:37 AM   #39
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Does Mayor's offer a 30 day return policy? If so then I can see the logic for mailing the warranty card after 30 days.

Some ADs have a no refund policy and if that's the case, they should give the card out right away.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 08:22 AM   #40
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Does Mayor's offer a 30 day return policy? If so then I can see the logic for mailing the warranty card after 30 days.

Some ADs have a no refund policy and if that's the case, they should give the card out right away.
They sure do, ans that's why it's mailed out later
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 09:39 AM   #41
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
of course they have a 30-day return policy, as quite a few other AD's I've dealt with do. That's EXACTLY why the warranty is mailed out. But OP - here's a newsflash - all you have to do is decline the 30-day return in writing, and you'd walk out with the warranty card.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 05:08 PM   #42
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make - yes! I have collected extensive data from sale listings (for different models) to prove that a V or random serial watch sells at a lesser discount to "list price" than a M serial. This makes a difference to those of us who may have to sell the watch in the first 8-10 years of ownership. Doesn't make a difference to those who don't intend to sell.
So you said you have done your homework in checking prices of different serials. Then why didn't you check the rehaut before you paid? That's not an excuse to me, sorry.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 01:02 AM   #43
anandcp
"TRF" Member

You got a watch that was sitting in inventory at the dealers. As far as Rolex is concerned, you got a NEW watch because the warranty is in your name.
AND the warranty is for the entire time.
It's like buying a 2016 Model car in November of 2016 (I did). You still get a new car, even though the 2017 model is out.
AND you still have original warranty for entire time.
anandcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 02:25 AM   #44
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandcp View Post
You got a watch that was sitting in inventory at the dealers. As far as Rolex is concerned, you got a NEW watch because the warranty is in your name.
AND the warranty is for the entire time.
It's like buying a 2016 Model car in November of 2016 (I did). You still get a new car, even though the 2017 model is out.
AND you still have original warranty for entire time.
This thread is 6 YEARS OLD!!! FWIW
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 02:56 AM   #45
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Wrong holiday for resurrection.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote