The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 May 2018, 07:55 AM   #61
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not to get into anything too deep, but basically Hublot is french for "porthole" so their entire basis for existing is to capitalize on the porthole theme watch. Some companies borrow and cross over in certain areas, and some make their entire basis for existing on something else... i think that is the issue primarily

They don't really have a signature case design they came up with. AFAIK they put rubber on the watch first, so that is their contribution in the original idea field.
Fair point. But I'm not going to discount an no entire company based on them running with the Nautilus/RO design. Id rather judge them on the product itself.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte217e View Post
Hublot is a weird company. MOST of their watches are wacky and weird. I don't care for denim, camoflauge, diamond, and bedazzled watches. The Hublot watches I like are their more subdue lineup.
I have had only a few watches. A Rolex Datejust II, IWC Ingeniuer Chrono, IWC Ingenieur dual time, Rolex Batman GMTII, and Rolex Daytona.
Recently I picked up a Hublot Unico with Magic Gold bezel and matte finish ceramic case.
I wear the Hublot the most. I like the size, the matte finish ceramic case, and the magic gold bezel. I was mostly drawn to the magic gold because I love that it exists.
The Meca 10 movement looks three dimensional when viewed in person and I probably would have gotten that one if I was able to find one at the right price.

Most of the Hublot watches I see on sale or on consignment are the wacky versions with leopard print. For others, as long as you can get a 50 - 60% discount off retail I'd say you are okay and would be able to unload it for what you bought it for or lose a little after wearing it for a few years.

I never wear suits and I'm never around watch people so the watch I choose to wear is the one I enjoy looking at the most. That happens to be this particular Hublot. When I do need to wear a suit, Rolex is the only watch I have that fits under the sleeve.
Have you tested out the Magic gold? How far have you gone?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #63
gte217e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Have you tested out the Magic gold? How far have you gone?
Tested it with what?
I don't purposefully try to scratch expensive watches; however, I have banged the watch a few times into a door frame or refrigerator with enough force to be scared to look at it. When I did, I didn't see any damage at all. I feel like the Hublot Ceramic/Magic Gold will look brand new even after 5 years of being worn. Even the buckle has no indication of wear.
My Rolex GMT has more swirls than a cinnamon roll bake shop.
gte217e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 02:55 AM   #64
walds11
"TRF" Member

<<<Flame suit on>>> I’ve always been intrigued by Hublot and their strength in design and materials. I would only buy one at a yuge discount. This Spirit of Big Bang Blue Ceramic really caught my eye:

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection...-big-bang-blue

I really like the blue ceramic/white resin combo. The 42mm Tonneau case size is very wearable on thinner wrists. This would make a nice F off watch. <<<flame suit off>>>
Old 29 December 2018, 03:16 AM   #65
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I love them and have often had one on my wrist to try it out.
It’s been at the wrong time unfortunately.
Some day.
Love fusion with the black ceramic with gold hands and bezel.
Old 29 December 2018, 11:50 PM   #66
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Anyone bought a LE Hublot Bitcoin watch to go with their lambo and suit embroidered with HODL on it?

Because that is like the archetypal Hublot.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:09 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Anyone bought a LE Hublot Bitcoin watch to go with their lambo and suit embroidered with HODL on it?

Because that is like the archetypal Hublot.
just imagine how expensive that watch was if you used Bitcoin you purchased a year ago and have been holding on to this whole time in anticipation for the Hublot watch...ouch

$25k worth of bitcoin today you might have paid $100+k for last december.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:48 AM   #68
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
<<<Flame suit on>>> I’ve always been intrigued by Hublot and their strength in design and materials. I would only buy one at a yuge discount. This Spirit of Big Bang Blue Ceramic really caught my eye:

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection...-big-bang-blue

I really like the blue ceramic/white resin combo. The 42mm Tonneau case size is very wearable on thinner wrists. This would make a nice F off watch. <<<flame suit off>>>

I did see some similar designs in their Bond Street store a few weeks ago - did a double take as I thought they were RMs.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:22 AM   #69
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I did see some similar designs in their Bond Street store a few weeks ago - did a double take as I thought they were RMs.
That’s part of my attraction to the model
Old 30 December 2018, 03:39 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and there it is again. Its the AP type cases or the RM type cases. TBH i quite like the look of the RM looking ones. I just fear it screams "i really wanted a RM, but this one is more accessible". I would always feel like i settled even though i will most likely never ever buy a watch at the RM price point anyway.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 30 December 2018, 03:45 AM   #71
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and there it is again. Its the AP type cases or the RM type cases. TBH i quite like the look of the RM looking ones. I just fear it screams "i really wanted a RM, but this one is more accessible". I would always feel like i settled even though i will most likely never ever buy a watch at the RM price point anyway.

I do think it’s a shame for them they don’t come up with their own design heritage, rather than rely on the amalgamation of others.

They seem to be very innovative when it comes to materials, so maybe a bit of investment in modelling and design to come up with something of their own wouldn’t go amiss.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 30 December 2018, 03:47 AM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do think it’s a shame for them they don’t come up with their own design heritage, rather than rely on the amalgamation of others.

They seem to be very innovative when it comes to materials, so maybe a bit of investment in modelling and design to come up with something of their own wouldn’t go amiss.
materials, i give them due credit. They take risks and have really cool stuff. Magic gold while i hate the name seems interesting but i have no practical knowledge of it.
Old 30 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #73
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed on the innovation of materials And with Zenith’s strength in watchmaking, you have a powerful one-two punch!

Resale sucks on Hublot, so I’d only buy at a steep discount. Even on a limited edition run of 100 like the Spirit of Big Bang Ceramic.
Old 30 December 2018, 03:53 AM   #74
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Agreed And with Zenith’s strength in watchmaking, you have a powerful one-two punch!

Yes very true - and zenith did do something brand new recently with the defy range.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 30 December 2018, 03:29 PM   #75
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Or alternatively... “I sort of like the quirky nature of RM’s design (itself a rip-off of Franck Muller), but I’m not stupid enough to pay their asking price!”
Call it the savvy person’s purchase which, to the majority of lay persons, is already well past the realm of having more money than sense.

It’s all relative, just like the hypercars well in excess of 1M are catering to the same subset of wealthy elite.
Who cares? It’s your face which has got the silly grin on it, which is the only thing that matters. You can’t conduct your existence based on what others may be thinking.
If they choose to behave shallowly and in a negative manner, then sod ‘em — that’s their problem, not yours!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 09:40 PM   #76
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I like their watches, never owned one, but I have also never owned a Panerai, GP, Lange, GO, Breguet or many other watches. I don’t talk much about Hublot as I don’t have much experience with them.

Some of their designs are very nice, and many can be gotten at quite good prices considering the design and quality, especially on the used market.

For the right model, I would get one. I don’t think it’s a Royal Oak or nautilus copy, most watches have similar elements and all brands borrow from one another. Don’t know if any AP or Nautilus that one could confuse for a Hublot.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:24 PM   #77
yolorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broken Seiko 5
They try too hard.
yolorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 11:03 PM   #78
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolorolex View Post
They try too hard.
I actually think this is their issue. Hublot would be better off if they toned down their styling and let their ingenuity do the talking.

I would also like to see them rename some of their terminology, like “magic gold” and the “Big Bang” line. It’s a tad too childish for my taste.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 11:16 PM   #79
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I actually think this is their issue. Hublot would be better off if they toned down their styling and let their ingenuity do the talking.

I would also like to see them rename some of their terminology, like “magic gold” and the “Big Bang” line. It’s a tad too childish for my taste.
yep. i like the idea of magic gold... but the name makes it seem like its the prize at the bottom of a box of lucky charms cereal.

I cant buy a Top Gun IWC for similar reasons. I really like the top gun big pilot, but the name kills it and the engraving on the case back.
Old 31 December 2018, 01:43 AM   #80
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
I beg to differ, in my opinion a Hublot is sophisticated in its own way. Here is an old shot of my collection with my favorite Hublot, the Classic Fusion Ceramic.

dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 01:45 AM   #81
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Another more recent shot that I took

dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 04:06 AM   #82
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolorolex View Post
They try too hard.
The same can be said about other brands here that people worship.

The truth is that Hublot has become the brand that is cool to hate. Herd mentality.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 04:25 AM   #83
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The same can be said about other brands here that people worship.

The truth is that Hublot has become the brand that is cool to hate. Herd mentality.
i dont agree with that.

I do however think resale trumps everything. If Hublot had Rolex resale, then they would be more popular guaranteed. So there is a way to get popularity without anything else changing.

I would still have a hard time buying one though for the same reason i cant buy some of the gimmicky/try too hard IWC's and im a big IWC fan to begin with.
Old 31 December 2018, 05:15 AM   #84
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i dont agree with that.

I do however think resale trumps everything. If Hublot had Rolex resale, then they would be more popular guaranteed. So there is a way to get popularity without anything else changing.

I would still have a hard time buying one though for the same reason i cant buy some of the gimmicky/try too hard IWC's and im a big IWC fan to begin with.
I agree, but there are plenty of respected brands that do not have Rolex resale value. JLC, IWC, Panerai, Cartier just to name a few. Granted, these are long established brands compared to Hublot.

I am not a fan of all Hublot models and I do feel like many of them are just terrible (e.g., the Bitcoin LE), but many are really slick. I guess my main gripe is that so many people say that Hublot steals their designs, but fail to acknowledge that even AP and RM have taken design elements from other brands.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 11:31 PM   #85
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Hublot makes an excellent watch. They use cool materials that make them stand out amongs other manufacturers. Never understood why people care that they look similar to another watch brand. I mean it's a watch, how much different can they look? As to the movements, some are not in house manufactured. But some APs aren't either. Please keep in mind with the exception of certain Rolex ss models, resale on most Swiss watches will not be that great. So buy what you like and enjoy. I have Rolex, tag, breitling, hublot and AP in my collection and I enjoy them all!

Lol, right? Every dive watch and their brother looks like a Sub. So funny.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 11:44 PM   #86
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Spoken like a true appreciator of watches and cognoscenti of the hobby!

Tell us, aside from SS Rolex and Patek “sports” watches, which other brands are supreme holders of their MSRP?

Is it Chopard LUC?

Or Girard-Perregaux, perhaps?

What about Piaget?

Roger Dubuis, surely?

Ok then, it must be Vacheron Constantin’s Overseas (all 3 generations)?

Lol @ their. I thought the same.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote