The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2014, 03:15 AM   #31
Toony
"TRF" Member

For me I would not but if you have a proper relationship with the AD then it would be up to you.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 03:36 AM   #32
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmagic View Post
I bought an Annual calendar, had my name on the cert, changed my mind, sent it back. The AD said no worries he could get another cert for the next buyer.

I'm basing my "AD can get a cert" comment on this experience of mine.

Your AD may operate differently

http://www.patek.com/contents/defaul...rtificate.html

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 05:14 AM   #33
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Doesn't refute my example, I'm sure the buyer after me got a certificate in his name.

We might be talking semantics, as my certificate wasn't lost my AD was able to get the replacement. This was 2007.

The watch in question of the OP of this thread sounds like it is a few years old, maybe taken in trade, still the AD (if it is an AD) should be able to get some sort of paperwork.

To those who think a lack of certificate is worth 40% to 50%, time to wake up.
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 05:51 AM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It really depends on the price the AD is willing to sell this pre-owned watch. The 5711/1A new is listed at $26.7K USD.

Even those who claim they will never purchase a watch without papers, I wonder how many will pass it up if the AD was selling it at a steep discount(e.g. $13.3K or 50% discount). I don't think the AD will sell it that low, but it really depends on the sales price for pre-owned watches, even for watches without the certificate.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 05:53 AM   #35
el1125
Banned

you are right

Quote:
Doesn't refute my example, I'm sure the buyer after me got a certificate in his name.

We might be talking semantics, as my certificate wasn't lost my AD was able to get the replacement. This was 2007.

The watch in question of the OP of this thread sounds like it is a few years old, maybe taken in trade, still the AD (if it is an AD) should be able to get some sort of paperwork.

To those who think a lack of certificate is worth 40% to 50%, time to wake up.
Buy one at full retail without paperwork.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 06:02 AM   #36
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It really depends on the price the AD is willing to sell this pre-owned watch. The 5711/1A new is listed at $26.7K USD.

Even those who claim they will never purchase a watch without papers, I wonder how many will pass it up if the AD was selling it at a steep discount(e.g. $13.3K or 50% discount). I don't think the AD will sell it that low, but it really depends on the sales price for pre-owned watches, even for watches without the certificate.

Exactly ,i d pull the trigger at 50 discount-who don t-,however i doubt anyone offers such a deal.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 2 July 2014, 12:21 PM   #37
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Exactly ,i d pull the trigger at 50 discount-who don t-,however i doubt anyone offers such a deal.
When I bought my new 5711 the AD had a used one for sale without the box or papers, his price was a grand or so less than a new one. Dealers will find someone to pay the price they are asking since after all, they are the AD with the store front.
gtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 07:01 PM   #38
Passionata
"TRF" Member

^sure some ppl don t care ,not aware .

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 2 July 2014, 08:17 PM   #39
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

It's like the Bob Marley song says: " No...papers no buy...."
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 10:33 PM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagada2009 View Post
It's like the Bob Marley song says: " No...papers no buy...."

This conversation leads me to believe my Papers should be in my safe deposit box with the deed to my house and such! Another trip to the bank...

Do you guys keep your papers in the bank?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 10:46 PM   #41
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspark View Post

This conversation leads me to believe my Papers should be in my safe deposit box with the deed to my house and such! Another trip to the bank...

Do you guys keep your papers in the bank?
I have two large safe deposit boxes and I do keep all papers in one of them. Better in the safe deposit bank than sorry. I am extra cautious even though I have alarm system and safe at home. I just don't like taking any chance whatsoever.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 10:44 AM   #42
ra's ag
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one...
Good feedback guys. The dealer was asking for 23k. You are right and I'm now thinking that it would be better for me to pay a few K more for something in my name, brand new.
ra's ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 01:02 AM   #43
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

It is worth 15-16k with no papers
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 01:48 AM   #44
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
It is worth 15-16k with no papers

But if you had only the watch and miraculously found the matching papers on eBay (far fetched I know), would you Buy those papers for $7k?
That's where I get confused. What are papers really worth in conjunction with the watch? Would you really spend even an extra $3k for the 5711 that had papers versus the one that didn't?
I understand this would be different for a minute repeater...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 04:57 AM   #45
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

It is like buying a house with a garage or no garage with the same square footage. The one with garage is in higher demand and worth more. If you know how to buy you can get a good used 5711 for 19-21k complete. I payed a little less than that but I hunted and one can say my time was worth way more than the savings.

Also look how days on market of watches with open papers vs filled out. Shorter time to sell, and slight premium for open papers. Why, because it is more perferd my many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
But if you had only the watch and miraculously found the matching papers on eBay (far fetched I know), would you Buy those papers for $7k?
That's where I get confused. What are papers really worth in conjunction with the watch? Would you really spend even an extra $3k for the 5711 that had papers versus the one that didn't?
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 05:41 AM   #46
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
There is absolutely no way that a 5711 without papers is worth only 15K. Somebody show me an example of a sale like that...especially if the watch is out of warranty.
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 06:27 AM   #47
ismelllikepoop
Banned

I would buy a 5711 without papers for 15k
ismelllikepoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 07:11 AM   #48
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

You will have to get into a time machine to go back 5-6 yrs to find a 5711 for $15K papers or no papers.
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 08:03 AM   #49
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
I would not pay 23k for it. No matter how mint
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 08:16 AM   #50
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There is a delicate balance between supply and demand for may PP timepieces including the 5711/1A. PP only produce a certain number of these watches a year and there is probably a greater demand than supply at the moment. Patek can increase the price and it will decrease demand. There hasn't been a price increase in the US for this reference for a couple of years. If Patek decides to increase the price 10 or 20%, will there still be a demand for this watch? I have a feeling the $30K may be a breaking point for this watch. The recently released 5227 Calatrava is not in such a demand (except for the WG model) because Patek raised the price quite significantly.

Anyway going back to topic of a pre-owned 5711/1A without papers, there will be a price where a buyer purchase the watch without papers. As mentioned above, it is somewhere between fll retail price and 50% of retail price. Myopiccoog mentioned the $15K USD as a price point for himself. For others, it will be $17K, $20K or even $23K. As long as the demand continues to outweigh supply, this price point will be closer to the full retail price than most TRF members are willing to pay for.

Remember the days of the highly in-demand SS Daytona. Some SS Daytonas were selling at or above retail price at one time due to the heavily skewed supply/demand curve.

At the end of the day, the 5711/1A is still just a watch. 99% of the world outside the WIS community will just use their phone to check time.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:08 AM   #51
bobodrink
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus 3712
Wanna revive this thread.

I have a 5712 steel I got a few years back without papers. Do you think I can fetch more than 40k at this current crazy market? I see a full set sell for 55k now. With the hot market do you think people will overlook on watches without papers?

Thanks!
bobodrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:25 AM   #52
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Do you have Extract From The Archives? If not, get it ASAP and then sell fast while the market is hot.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:08 AM   #53
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
I would not pay 23k for it. No matter how mint
I think someone would be eating their words ...
Old 17 May 2018, 08:25 AM   #54
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought an Annual calendar, had my name on the cert, changed my mind, sent it back. The AD said no worries he could get another cert for the next buyer.

I'm basing my "AD can get a cert" comment on this experience of mine.

Your AD may operate differently

Let me ask a question then....what happens if the certificate is damaged prior to sale by the AD for any reason...water damage is a perfect example. Or someone spilled coffee while they were sorting out the inventory...

Does the AD get a replacement or they have to sell the watch sans certificate.

I would assume the AD can pick up the phone and ask for another.

Maybe “the no replacement” is for consumers only, not ADs with new watches in stock, or a returned watch like your example.

Let’s see what the forums members have to say.

I’ll also ask one of my buddies, he works at a Patek AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2018, 09:29 AM   #55
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Let me ask a question then....what happens if the certificate is damaged prior to sale by the AD for any reason...water damage is a perfect example. Or someone spilled coffee while they were sorting out the inventory...

Does the AD get a replacement or they have to sell the watch sans certificate.

I would assume the AD can pick up the phone and ask for another.

Maybe “the no replacement” is for consumers only, not ADs with new watches in stock, or a returned watch like your example.

Let’s see what the forums members have to say.

I’ll also ask one of my buddies, he works at a Patek AD.

On two occasions 2 separate ADs filled out incorrect details on my certificates. They got new certificates for me and they said certificates came from Geneva and not from the UK distributor Rhone.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:32 AM   #56
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Everyone here would buy it for $1, so the real question is: how much should the watch be discounted to make the deal appealing?

For me, it might start at 30% off retail depending on the piece, how bad I wanted it, and the story behind it. The greater the discount, the more I would consider the deal.

That said, I would be very reluctant to do a no paper deal. But at the right price...
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #57
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Buying a used PP from AD but without papers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
On two occasions 2 separate ADs filled out incorrect details on my certificates. They got new certificates for me and they said certificates came from Geneva and not from the UK distributor Rhone.

So they can get a replacement if they mess up or a customer returns! Thanks Sam

Old 17 May 2018, 09:51 AM   #58
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Buying a used PP from AD but without papers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Everyone here would buy it for $1, so the real question is: how much should the watch be discounted to make the deal appealing?

For me, it might start at 30% off retail depending on the piece, how bad I wanted it, and the story behind it. The greater the discount, the more I would consider the deal.

That said, I would be very reluctant to do a no paper deal. But at the right price...

I hear what you’re saying, but for me it will always be missing something. For others, maybe not.

Old 17 May 2018, 01:41 PM   #59
bobodrink
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nautilus 3712
The real question is how much would you pay for a no paper 5712...
bobodrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 02:50 PM   #60
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Are you going walk around with the papers on your wrist ? Lol as long as it’s 100% real idc
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote