The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2018, 01:54 AM   #1
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Opinions on a 5960/1A-010 black dial with existing collection...

hi all,

Hope all is well. I do not post much here as I am usually on TZ (since 1998 even though it states 2004), WUS, and Purist.

Anyways, just for some background if you have not seen me around or read any of my posts. I have been collecting for 25 years and currently have 58 watches in my collection, I know I know that is WAY TO MANY and I have tried many times to consolidate but it seems everytime I sell or trade one away I tend to add another. No real justification besides MADNESS I guess

So I got a call this morning for a 5960/1A-010 black dial. I have not seen it in person as of yet but I do like the black dial over the white dial that I have seen and worn. I know it is a 1 year production piece so that part is attractive to my collector side but I do not know how I feel with all the complications and how it would get wrist time as there are already many others that simply get neglected and sit in a bank safe. Don't get me started on that, it is a slippery slope

As for Pateks, I currently have a 5711/1A, 5712/1A, 5712G, 5726A, 5980/1A, 5980/1AR, two 5070G (1 is on sale or trade as I would like to add the J, R and potentially a P to have the set of 4), 5524G, and a 5370P. I tend to wear the 5726A more often than any other Nautilus as I find the calendar function useful. That might change when the 5740G comes in which will probably change things up a bit and I might be able to consolidate a couple pieces if I can.

Anyways, getting back to the 5960/1A, I would appreciate any insight, advice, and opinions on this piece as well as if there is a place in my Patek collection for it or if there will be a redundancy. I know it is a round case with different style bracelet (which I like BTW) but I have other watches from AP, Blancpain, JLC, Rolex, and others that have similar but not exact functions in round cases.

I guess what is really attractive to me is the 1 year production run and how Patek integrated so many functions into their in-house caliber. I know the dial is cluttered and not for everyone but it really does not bother me since I like complicated dials such as perpetuals, chronos, etc...

Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here are my Nautili and a wrist shot of the 5726A that gets the most wrist out of the lot due to other pieces from other manufacturers which I tend to wear more often for sentimental reasons (gifts from father, wife, etc...).

holdemchamp1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:33 AM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Holy crap, over 50 watches?! And six Nautilus?! Damn, what a collection.
It looks like you can afford it haha so I think that as long as you plan on wearing it it’s a good buy. I think that if you’re able to keep multiple Nautilus watches in your collection this should be no problem for you to add since it is actually a more different look. But like I said, for me personally the most important thing is that I have to like it and I have to wear it.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:36 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

my advice is get a bigger watch roll
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:45 AM   #4
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Holy crap, over 50 watches?! And six Nautilus?! Damn, what a collection.
It looks like you can afford it haha so I think that as long as you plan on wearing it it’s a good buy. I think that if you’re able to keep multiple Nautilus watches in your collection this should be no problem for you to add since it is actually a more different look. But like I said, for me personally the most important thing is that I have to like it and I have to wear it.

I appreciate the advice. It is not really a question of money which concerns me. I am trying to see how it would blend with my other watches and if it will get any wrist time at all since most of them do not at the moment. I know that sounds crazy but it is true. Regardless, I do appreciate your thoughts.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:47 AM   #5
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my advice is get a bigger watch roll

LOL, I normally do not use watchrolls as I prefer cases or pelican boxes converted into cases which are both functional and practical.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:47 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemchamp1225 View Post
I appreciate the advice. It is not really a question of money which concerns me. I am trying to see how it would blend with my other watches and if it will get any wrist time at all since most of them do not at the moment. I know that sounds crazy but it is true. Regardless, I do appreciate your thoughts.
im not the biggest 5960 fan. However if i had a giant collection i would want one. Does that make sense? The black is my favorite followed by the G and then the white dial.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 02:52 AM   #7
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im not the biggest 5960 fan. However if i had a giant collection i would want one. Does that make sense? The black is my favorite followed by the G and then the white dial.

It does make sense and the black dial is also my preferred 5960. There goes the effort of trying to pare down my collection LOL
Old 25 May 2018, 02:55 AM   #8
mnl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I got the vibe that money wasn’t a concern haha Personally I’m not a big fan of this model, but I do think it’s different enough so that it could be used for different occasions. My very uneducated opinion, since I’m very new here: The question of will it get wrist time I think is something only you can answer. I think if you’re having trouble juggling whatever watches you have to see what to wear, and mostly end up wearing the same few, unless you like this one more than the ones you have it won’t “dethrone” them. And I don’t think this is the case cause I think if it was then you wouldn’t be asking and you’d just get it, and if that’s the case I probably wouldn’t get it.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:00 AM   #9
Sam Philip
Banned

5960A was the most complicated regular production stainless steel Patek. (5004A and 1518A were not in regular production) However ADs I know had problems moving the 5960A white dial even with a decent discount. The 5960A black dial was produced for only 1 year but we will never know how many were produced. Every AD I know (I deal with more than 1) has received at least one black dial so they are out there and not sure how collectible it would become in the future.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 03:02 AM   #10
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Yeah I got the vibe that money wasn’t a concern haha Personally I’m not a big fan of this model, but I do think it’s different enough so that it could be used for different occasions. My very uneducated opinion, since I’m very new here: The question of will it get wrist time I think is something only you can answer. I think if you’re having trouble juggling whatever watches you have to see what to wear, and mostly end up wearing the same few, unless you like this one more than the ones you have it won’t “dethrone” them. And I don’t think this is the case cause I think if it was then you wouldn’t be asking and you’d just get it, and if that’s the case I probably wouldn’t get it.
Very valid point. Wrist time is always a dilemma with new acquisitions regardless of how special they tend to be, especially for me since sentiment is more important (at least for me )

Maybe I should brainwash my wife to purchase it as a gift for me. I know that is creating an artificial sentiment but I am desperate at moment LOL.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2018, 03:04 AM   #11
mnl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very valid point. Wrist time is always a dilemma with new acquisitions regardless of how special they tend to be, especially for me since sentiment is more important (at least for me )

Maybe I should brainwash my wife to purchase it as a gift for me. I know that is creating an artificial sentiment but I am desperate at moment LOL.

hahahaha that seems like the perfect plan!
Old 25 May 2018, 03:06 AM   #12
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
5960A was the most complicated regular production stainless steel Patek. (5004A and 1518A were not in regular production) However ADs I know had problems moving the 5960A white dial even with a decent discount. The 5960A black dial was produced for only 1 year but we will never know how many were produced. Every AD I know (I deal with more than 1) has received at least one black dial so they are out there and not sure how collectible it would become in the future.
I did not and still do not know how many were produced but I do agree that there are some available. That really does not concern me as much as other factors I have previously mentioned. This is not an investment play, trust me on that. There are many other ways which would be more interesting to invest

Old 25 May 2018, 03:11 AM   #13
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I did not and still do not know how many were produced but I do agree that there are some available. That really does not concern me as much as other factors I have previously mentioned. This is not an investment play, trust me on that. There are many other ways which would be more interesting to invest

I have seen both and I like the black dial more than the white. I didn't get it as I have few other incomings.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 04:16 AM   #14
OP15
"TRF" Member

I definitely prefer the black dial. This won’t make or break your collection. If it’s just going to sit in the bank vault, I’d pass, personally.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 05:42 AM   #15
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
“I guess what is really attractive to me is the 1 year production run” I would not buy because of this. They made tons of variations and none maintained any sort of value. That is not to say it isnt a nice watch but IMO not an investment piece. If you like the watch sure go ahead and buy it but I would not buy because of production numbers. The 5960P black dial was like a 6month production run and I know a friend who sold one that was mint and could not give it away.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 07:00 AM   #16
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
“I guess what is really attractive to me is the 1 year production run” I would not buy because of this. They made tons of variations and none maintained any sort of value. That is not to say it isnt a nice watch but IMO not an investment piece. If you like the watch sure go ahead and buy it but I would not buy because of production numbers. The 5960P black dial was like a 6month production run and I know a friend who sold one that was mint and could not give it away.
Noted. Thanks for commenting and for the info.

Old 25 May 2018, 08:12 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, buy it, buy anything as long as it's not another Nautilus! But seriously I'm not really a fan so not for me unless you love it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 08:28 AM   #18
holdemchamp1225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, buy it, buy anything as long as it's not another Nautilus! But seriously I'm not really a fan so not for me unless you love it.
Thanks for the advice but just want to clarify that I have many more watches than these Nautilus watches. I just wanted to list the Pateks and how a 5960 would fit. I actually wear a couple APs, Blancpains, JLCs, and Rolexes more often than any of these Pateks as a few of them have much more sentimental value for me since they were gifts from relatives, my wife, etc...