The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2021, 06:13 AM   #31
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
I’d never ever consider selling gifts from my (now late) mum and dad.
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:22 AM   #32
J97
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
Keep the GMT. Get rid of the rest.
+1
J97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:24 AM   #33
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Keep what you have, they are very good timepieces.

Wait until you graduate and have a good job, so you can buy whatever you like without selling your collection.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:34 AM   #34
tymonster
"TRF" Member

I got my first good watch when I graduated college at 23. At the time I got to pick it out, and I went with a Breitling Skyracer Professional. 44mm, almost 16mm thick. I love that watch and still have it. That said, my taste has changed dramatically and at 38 years old I'm basically at 40mm +/- 1mm and the thinner the better.

I 1000% would not get rid of the GMT and think hard about the others. Not to mention, If you acquire a grail piece at 24... where do you go from there? You'll be spending 6-figures on a watch by time you're 30. Slow down... this hobby is a marathon, not a race.
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:40 AM   #35
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Back in 1998, I went up to Scotland to see my grandad for the last time. We were always close. I was 14 years old. I had to kiss him goodbye and tell him “I love you Grandad”. My mum and I then walked out of the hospice knowing that was the last time. It still makes me emotional typing this.

My grandad had a Seiko Quartz dress watch. Last year, my mum gave me his Seiko as she knew I would cherish it.

Putting a new battery into that watch and seeing the minute hand tick was a beautiful thing. I wear that watch with pride. When the time is right, I will gift it to my son and tell him how wonderful his great grandad was.

The thought of letting go of that watch is unimaginable.

So, to sum up. Don’t ever sell those watches your family gave you. You’ll never get them back. I guarantee you’ll regret that decision later on in life. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:08 AM   #36
brkn
"TRF" Member

I would do it. What kind of Royal Oak are you going for?
brkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:41 AM   #37
Societas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Blue SkyD
Wow. I would not sell those pieces, but sentimental value is very subjective.
Like many said, try to think long term. Sellers remorse is a real thing, maybe not now, but you could feel it in 5-10-25 years.

But again, maybe it's just me having trouble to relate to your story / background. I've graduated from a pretty good business school in France, but when I was 24 I was far from thinking about luxury watches and did not have the means for it (+ it might have been weird having that kind of bling in a first job in consulting). All the money went towards rent and having fun :)
Societas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:44 AM   #38
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Keep the watches, and buy your own RO with fruit of your labor or to celebrate a special occasion. If the RO is a grail, it will be valued more when it's tied to an achievement. Good luck in your decision.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:08 AM   #39
drrd
"TRF" Member

Are you looking for offers? Maybe someone with a RO to PM you for a swap+cash?

I mean, three posts and two threads started and the other was asking for a valuation on the GMT.

Regarding whether you want a RO more than these, up to you.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:37 AM   #40
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Objectively, I'd do it and trade the pieces for a RO, its a different animal. I would try to keep one piece tho for those days you dont want to daily the RO.

Subjectively, however, I wouldn't trade all the watches because they were bought for milestones and are worth more than its intrinsic value.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #41
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I’d keep the GMT and sell the others. AP is a special watch, but not worth the GMT and other prices imo

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:48 AM   #42
Emery
"TRF" Member

Keep the GMT and DJ, sell the Santos.

The RO is next level, and you won’t want to be dailying it.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:20 AM   #43
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I'd keep the GMT and get rid of the others.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:34 PM   #44
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzabakker432 View Post
Hi guys,

I know this is a weird question but I was wondering if i should my current collection consisting of : Rolex gmt master 16750 1981, Rolex datejust two tone 126231 and a Cartier Santos blue dial WSSA0030. I surely most add the difference because I don't think these watches can get me the RO.

I'm currently 24 and still in university and was extremely lucky that my parents gifted me this watches during the last few years. The santos was a gift when I got my first major and the gmt was a present for my 18th birthday. Moreover I bought the datejust myself after saving for a while.

Yes I know there are more important things I need to worry right about but the AP royal oak is my grail. My parents don't mind me selling the watches as long as I'm happy. BTW yeah this is a weird thing to ask you guys but I appreciate the input.

This was just a random idea I had. Still I'm already very happy with what I have. But it doesn't hurt to hear your guys opinions ;)

Cheers.

No

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:47 PM   #45
mmfbmw
"TRF" Member

You will apprecaite the parents' gifts more down the road in my opinion.
mmfbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 11:58 PM   #46
Pete_mcC
"TRF" Member

Watch: n+1
‘This is the watch I bought with the money I got from selling the watch my parents bought me for my 18th’
Not really the same sentiment. Keep the GMT come what may as it will become more special with time.

Create your own memorable moment for buying your AP, it will make it much more of a grail. First bonus, first major deal, first child, first arrest, whatever…
Pete_mcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:22 AM   #47
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Same. Wouldn't even consider it.
+1,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:04 AM   #48
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
The ones made today are not good; they aren’t monobloc like they were initially made.
Hm. Interesting statement to say “the ones made today are not good”.

To each their own and I have a different opinion, but would be genuinely interested in hearing you explain further what about them not having monobloc cases makes them “not good” in your opinion.

I’m assuming it’s similar reasoning to those who only prefer vintage or 5-digit Rolex vs the newer versions, but curious nonetheless.

Sorry for the hijack, OP, just watch-nerding a bit.

Regarding your post:
If it were me, I’d be hard pressed to give up that GMT.
I would be inclined to save up and make a move when I have the funds. That said, I fully understand the feeling when a watch gets in your head and want it NOW, lol.
Good luck with making the right decision for you.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:19 AM   #49
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Definitely keep the GMT. It is special as it’s an 18th bday present from your parents and that watch is a classic. The Santos, I would keep if there’s much sentimental value behind it.

The Datejust would the piece I’d part with first if I were you.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:30 AM   #50
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I’d keep what you have now… you have a great and versatile line up that have memories attached.

Old 10 December 2021, 04:31 AM   #51
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Keep the gift from your parents, its sentimental
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:24 AM   #52
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t, you may regret it. Speaking from experience, sold 3 SS pieces and went for a PM GMT. After a few months I missed my collection and sold the PM one, started rebuilding. Just my experience.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:27 AM   #53
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No one is going to be able to tell you what to do simply because not everyone is as sentimental with gifts, finances come in to play and what your taste in watches are. Look at it in reverse and have a exit strategy because some watches are significantly harder to require if you decide you made a huge mistake. Cost of ownership, servicing, and durability to fit into your lifestyle should also be a huge factor before jumping in.
Old 10 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #54
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

No way. For all the reasons already above.

You have a lot of time ahead of you to get a RO or anything else you want.

Plus, on a personal note I have an RO and it is not a one and only watch for all occasions. Actually it is too flashy for me and I plan to move it on.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:44 AM   #55
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Keep what you have. The watches you have will have sentimental value and the RO is not appropriate as an ONLY nice watch.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:54 AM   #56
Initial_J
"TRF" Member

The APRO is way too blingy if you ask me. I wanted one really badly a few years back when they were under $20k. Now whenever I see them in the wild, I cringe a little bit. Unless it's a gold one on a strap... those look pretty damn cool.

Point being, you may not love the APRO a year or two from now. But the watches from your parents will always be watches from your parents. My dad once gave me a gold-plated Seiko that was my Grandfather's when he passed. I wasn't into watches at the time and did not fully appreciate the passed down timepiece. No idea where that watch is now, and I regret that a little bit (even if it wasn't a true heirloom piece).
Rolex GMT Master 1675 “Pepsi” | Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR “Batman” | Rolex Daytona 116520 (black dial) | Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph LE 49150-000A-9017 | Cartier Santos de Cartier Large Black ADLC WSSA0039 | Panerai PAM00673
Initial_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:51 AM   #57
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
Save your $$$, build your savings and investments, and wait until you can afford two ROs. Then buy one and invest the other half of the cash.

If you aren’t thrilled with the Rolex GMT, you’ll lost interest in the RO before you’re 30.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:59 AM   #58
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzabakker432 View Post
Hi guys,

I know this is a weird question but I was wondering if i should my current collection consisting of : Rolex gmt master 16750 1981, Rolex datejust two tone 126231 and a Cartier Santos blue dial WSSA0030. I surely most add the difference because I don't think these watches can get me the RO.

I'm currently 24 and still in university and was extremely lucky that my parents gifted me this watches during the last few years. The santos was a gift when I got my first major and the gmt was a present for my 18th birthday. Moreover I bought the datejust myself after saving for a while.

Yes I know there are more important things I need to worry right about but the AP royal oak is my grail. My parents don't mind me selling the watches as long as I'm happy. BTW yeah this is a weird thing to ask you guys but I appreciate the input.

This was just a random idea I had. Still I'm already very happy with what I have. But it doesn't hurt to hear your guys opinions ;)

Cheers.

I'd never get rid of watches gifted by my parents just for the sake of getting a new one... I still have my Rolex I received for my graduation... it will never leave me.
At 24 I'd worry about pursuing a career that allows you to buy however many APs you want later on in life. There's more important things to worry about, like getting a car / house / savings account together.
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:07 PM   #59
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
Keep the GMT. Get rid of the rest.

This is what I would do, and then save hard for the Royal Oak. The GMT is special because it was for your 18th, so will make a great gift to uour first-born when they turn 18.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:20 PM   #60
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Yes, sell everything.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote