The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 10:50 AM   #1
marzzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Walking/Hiking BLNR runs fast?

Normally my 2015 116710BLNR runs slightly fast, and at night I have it on my nightstand on its side, crown up which keeps it very close to actual time. The last several days I have been walking/hiking as much as 12-14 miles/day, and it has gotten ahead as much as 20 seconds in one day. Is this normal behavior? Does it need to go in for service? I am now back to my normal routine, so I will see how it behaves, but I am curious. Thanks all!
marzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Not normal, time for service
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Wind the watch all the way up (60 turns). Set the watch and test it again on your walks.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:33 PM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Agree with Gabe. You are definitely experiencing too much in the way of deviation.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 03:11 PM   #5
ffscala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi 126710BLRO
I’ve found that I can make a 3130 movement run very fast through a lot of fast walking. Sent one back to Rolex at one stage thinking it needed fixed but after examining they said it was fine. If your watch keeps good time when not exercising then it may be okay.
ffscala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:33 PM   #6
hnn17
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, if you shake a 7s26 calibre hard and fast, it will gain alot of seconds. Maybe the same with the 3186 ?
hnn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:44 PM   #7
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
First, get a de-magnitizer and try that. Thats the likely culprit here, costs 12-15 bucks, and will save you 6 months of having rolex keep it, maybe longer as who knows how many more shut downs there will be. Some say when the watch is magnetized, it gains several minutes. Thats simply not true in my case. My 16610 was gaining about 10-12 seconds per day, after using the de-magnitizer, back with within 2/3 sec per day.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #8
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
First, get a de-magnitizer and try that. Thats the likely culprit here, costs 12-15 bucks, and will save you 6 months of having rolex keep it, maybe longer as who knows how many more shut downs there will be. Some say when the watch is magnetized, it gains several minutes. Thats simply not true in my case. My 16610 was gaining about 10-12 seconds per day, after using the de-magnitizer, back with within 2/3 sec per day.
Good idea, any recommendations for a particular de-magnitizer? I bought a used Exp II running +5 spd and thought I'd try it.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:55 AM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Good idea, any recommendations for a particular de-magnitizer? I bought a used Exp II running +5 spd and thought I'd try it.

Lol. It was one of those cheap blue rectangle shaped de-magnitzers that they sell on amazon. There seems to be many companies that make them even though they all generally look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:58 AM   #10
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

+1 on the demagnetizer. I have had a couple of watches get magnetized before. They went from being off just a few seconds per day to 20-30 seconds per day fast.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:04 AM   #11
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Quote:
Good idea and worth a look. I'd find it strange for such erratic time keeping just from standard shocks etc from the hike. Wonder if you had any gear or tools near magnetic in nature during the hike. Perhaps rare earth magnet on a backpack etc. that it came in contact with...
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #12
marzzz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure that the BLNR was not near any tools or magnets, closest thing would have been the metal detector at the airport. Now that I am back in my normal routine, the BLNR gained 1 second over the past 36 hours, so I think it may be back to normal. I will keep a closer eye on it over the next several days.

Does Rolex Service really take 6 months!?!? That would be a good enough reason to buy a 114060 right there...!
Old 14 July 2020, 12:29 PM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A mechanical watch will always react to external influences.

If you are swinging your arms in a way that it affects the amplitude (beat) of the balance wheel, it will change the timing.

If that amplitude is fewer degrees of rotation, the watch will beat faster for the time that it is being affected.
Old 19 July 2020, 03:06 AM   #14
marzzz
"TRF" Member

OK just to follow up, my BLNR is now back to keeping excellent time, so it is definitely a factor of spending several hours/day swinging my arms walking briskly. Since I reset it 6 days ago, it has lost 1 second. So now I will lay it flat at night, go figure...

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!
Old 19 July 2020, 03:51 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzz View Post
Normally my 2015 116710BLNR runs slightly fast, and at night I have it on my nightstand on its side, crown up which keeps it very close to actual time. The last several days I have been walking/hiking as much as 12-14 miles/day, and it has gotten ahead as much as 20 seconds in one day. Is this normal behavior? Does it need to go in for service? I am now back to my normal routine, so I will see how it behaves, but I am curious. Thanks all!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A mechanical watch will always react to external influences.

If you are swinging your arms in a way that it affects the amplitude (beat) of the balance wheel, it will change the timing.

If that amplitude is fewer degrees of rotation, the watch will beat faster for the time that it is being affected.
Exactly that Larry afraid today many have no idea how a mechanical works or what effect the movement has with gravity.And all those that claim watch is magnetised complete and utter bosewellocks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 03:52 AM   #16
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Good to learn something new from TRF.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote