The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2020, 12:04 AM   #61
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I imagine you're talking about shell?
I went through my shell phase, but no I wasn't. Actually in the end I found calf and specifically antiqued calf more intriguing. In part that's why I went the direction of Edward Green and G&G.

Funny though, how my Saint Crispins in part shell and Russian Calf ended up being my most expensive footwear I own.

But no, antiqued calf are by far my favorites although I have some pretty nice shell from Alden, Carmina, Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, Ryder Boot Co, and Saint Crispin's.

If I were to do it again I would still have some of these but just not as many in shell.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:07 AM   #62
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I am an Alden cordovan shell man myself. I have 3 pairs that I constantly wear over my other leather shoes. My wife picked up a pair of Crocketts in NYC a few years back but they are just a tad bit pointy for me. As an attorney, I have one of the few careers nowadays that require suit and ties and BB has been my go to brand for 20 years. The clothes made in USA and Italy are what I purchase. I hope they keep their stores as I have developed some food relationships over the years.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:11 AM   #63
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I am an Alden cordovan shell man myself. I have 3 pairs that I constantly wear over my other leather shoes. My wife picked up a pair of Crocketts in NYC a few years back but they are just a tad bit pointy for me. As an attorney, I have one of the few careers nowadays that require suit and ties and BB has been my go to brand for 20 years. The clothes made in USA and Italy are what I purchase. I hope they keep their stores as I have developed some food relationships over the years.
Sorry to hear that Crockett and Jones didn't work for you. They really do have some really nice footwear. Some of my most favorite boots even though I have some even more expensive are from Crockett and Jones. They really do make some very fine nicely crafted footwear.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 July 2020, 12:27 AM   #64
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
If you have a chance to go to a Crockett and Jones store in person, you will not regret it. Some of their lasts can be pointy - those are the ones my wife likes the best as well. However, they have many traditional styles perfect for the legal field. The quality cannot be touched by any brand unitl you take another jump into Edward Green and John Lobb prices.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #65
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
If you have a chance to go to a Crockett and Jones store in person, you will not regret it. Some of their lasts can be pointy - those are the ones my wife likes the best as well. However, they have many traditional styles perfect for the legal field. The quality cannot be touched by any brand unitl you take another jump into Edward Green and John Lobb prices.
I would mention Vass as a good alternative in that price range but from what I've heard they can be less than perfect or precise at times and you can't just visit a Vass store easily so I would have to agree with your assessment based on my experience. It really is unfortunate once you think you size correctly in any Vass Last that you just can't count on that absolutely being true for your next shoe.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 July 2020, 01:44 AM   #66
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

I know they’re not as expensive but I absolutely love my Bally’s. They’re an incredible shoe for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:44 AM   #67
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I visited my local Brooks Brothers store on Sunday. I had visited my AD and figured I’d stop in while there to see what they had in the store.

The store was devoid of customers and only one salesperson. A young very early 20’s young man. I was looking at a gorgeous tux and he said something along the lines of its quality and what not. I told him I have 4 tux’s and am fully aware of Brooks Brothers quality, just trying to justify purchasing a fifth tux when the 4 I have rarely get worn (especially in Covid times).

He then caught me perusing some ties they had. I asked about a solid red tie as mine finally got a stain the cleaners can’t get out. They didn’t have any.

Then I kid you not he says “I am a Commie Liberal but I like to dress conservative. All of Brooks Brothers ties are over priced and I just go online.”

I was dumbfounded. Why he felt the need to tell me his political beliefs is beyond me. Why he suggested I go online to purchase items at lower prices is also beyond me.

Possibly the lack of training for salespeople has lead to the demise of Brooks Brothers?

Anyways to put it shortly and to not get political here, any potential sale ended there and I left the store. Given my last visit I am not at all surprised they are going under.

It is completely different scene than 18 yrs ago when I walked into Brooks Brothers and bought my first suit from a well spoken, knowledgable and respectful salesperson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is really too bad. Sign of the times I'm afraid. Customer service hardly exists anymore and pretty soon there will be no one left that can teach it or pass it down. Most all retailers today cut pay/commissions to the front lines and now this is what they have.

As bad as I feel for some of these storied companies they did most of this to themselves. Product quality and service are sorely lacking and yet they still consider themselves "luxury" brands.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #68
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
i could tell you, though actually, my dad could do a far better job as he's known (and worked with) Ralph for decades since he and my dad were fabric 'runners' in NYC many decades ago. Ralph Lifshitz believes in 'American Classic' styling and quality. A truly brilliant man who also puts the right people within his organization.
RL brilliant for sure. Adapted to the changing world and continued to dominate his corner of it. Different product lines for different demo's. From purple on down, all without diluting his brand. Others could have taken a lesson.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:00 AM   #69
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
At one time, many years ago, their "Golden Fleece" premium suit line was one of the best suit values in the country.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:03 PM   #70
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yes they made an long lasting shirt. But their sizing wasn't global, rather the north American style, large loose shirts for those big flat fronted trousers that are the flavour there. They were not popular when i visited some of their shops in asia. They didn't gain much traction around this way compared to all the Savile row and other options here.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote