The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2020, 10:46 PM   #1
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy

A sad outcome for an iconic brand but suits aren’t in demand much anymore. Their casual line just didn’t catch on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/broo...es-stores.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:04 PM   #2
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Wow. Sad to see this, but not a total surprise either.
Sadly, there will likely be many more to follow.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:10 PM   #3
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Sad. Their quality declined over the years but I stuck with them for their white shirts. I’m sure they will survive, but let’s see in what fashion (forgive the pun).
Old 8 July 2020, 11:11 PM   #4
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Wow. Sad to see this, but not a total surprise either.
Sadly, there will likely be many more to follow.

Yep - agree. This one wasn’t a good M&A for any other clothier. The high-end bespoke tailored suit makers should survive.

Mass customized tailoring will suffer in general - and COVID-19 didn’t help sales. Not an online play either.

Old 8 July 2020, 11:21 PM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yep - agree. This one wasn’t a good M&A for any other clothier. The high-end bespoke tailored suit makers should survive.

Mass customized tailoring will suffer in general - and COVID-19 didn’t help sales. Not an online play either.

Yes. My bespoke tailor is doing better then ever. Of course it helps to live in a free state that is open but I am really happy for him.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:38 PM   #6
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A sad outcome for an iconic brand but suits aren’t in demand much anymore. Their casual line just didn’t catch on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/broo...es-stores.html

Sad to read this. I enjoy their dress and sport shirts. Hopefully it all works out.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:42 PM   #7
Thug
"TRF" Member

Whatever is leftover of BB should just stop trying to appease the broader market and go more niche. Would like to see more RTW trad/ivy along the lines of what Tailor Caid does.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:54 PM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I think they lost their way when they started releasing the down market quality outlet lines. Most people did not know that the main retail products were of much better quality.

I bought a tux from them last fall after comparing pretty much everything else available in Denver and found their quality the best by far. Unfortunately, when Zara offers a $299 tux, most people will not shell out the bucks in this day and age.

I agree with most here that bespoke local tailoring is now the best way to go!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:58 PM   #9
wrf2
"TRF" Member

You are right about the outlets. The product they sold out of them was crap. You also have company's like Spier & Mackay and SuitSupply that offer high quality, half-canvassed suits for a fraction of the cost. It's hard for any retailer that has relied on massive square footage to keep prices competitive.
wrf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:25 AM   #10
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

NOOOOOO!!!! I have a ton of Brooks Brothers casual shirts, some of them over 10 years old, and they wear as new despite numerous washings. Also have several pairs of wool pants. It's one of the few brands that fit me well off the rack, and anything requiring tailoring has been perfect as well.

I didn't realize they went the outlet route, that will crush a brand. I'm worried that even if they are purchased by investors, it will lead to closing the outlets, decreasing the quality of their better lines, and eventually shuttering the business when the last dollars are eked out as there will be better alternatives.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:30 AM   #11
colpol
"TRF" Member

Well known shirt maker in uk closed all its high street shops last week & went online only

Was reading a bit about the downfall - a combination of people working from home during lockdown so hardly any online sales over past 4 months with people not wearing / buying shirts plus overall a move away from the traditional shirt for work as many employers now allow staff to go casual 5 days a week. No such thing as dress down Friday anymore for a lot of company’s
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:30 AM   #12
Xenon
Banned

Their fit has been terrible over the last few years trying to make slimmer and slimmer European cut shirts to keep up with the times. They tried to gain newer younger customers while alienating their long time base customers. I bought a $2,000 jacket from them a few years ago and had to return it because one armhole was too tight and one sleeve was shorter than the other; awful quality control. I hope Ralph Lauren learns from them because they are heading in the same direction.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:41 AM   #13
77T

I think going outlet didn’t hurt Nike but they’re not a luxury brand.

My 1st BB Suit was 40 years ago when 3-pc. BB & J&M dress shoes were minimum “acceptable biz attire” in the ATL.

Nowadays trends and spending habits and globalization of the attire industry caught them in the gears.

Old 9 July 2020, 12:51 AM   #14
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Their fit has been terrible over the last few years trying to make slimmer and slimmer European cut shirts to keep up with the times. They tried to gain newer younger customers while alienating their long time base customers. I bought a $2,000 jacket from them a few years ago and had to return it because one armhole was too tight and one sleeve was shorter than the other; awful quality control. I hope Ralph Lauren learns from them because they are heading in the same direction.
Yes. Lots of folks moved to Bonobos, SuitSupply and IndoChino.

BB had a lot of competition and was losing their differentiation and value proposition. Why pay $1000-$2000 for a suit when far cheaper and or more modern options existed. Lots of “made in China” labels too hurt their brand.

I agree outlets kill luxury brands. Burberry is one that fell very hard.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I thought they lost their market when Lehman and Bear Sterns went under.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:03 AM   #16
kearez
"TRF" Member

Brands like Suit Supply, had been eating away at them. Plus their shirt cuts were horrible slim fit was like a parachute. I prefer the British shirt makers myself.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #17
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Well known shirt maker in uk closed all its high street shops last week & went online only

Was reading a bit about the downfall - a combination of people working from home during lockdown so hardly any online sales over past 4 months with people not wearing / buying shirts plus overall a move away from the traditional shirt for work as many employers now allow staff to go casual 5 days a week. No such thing as dress down Friday anymore for a lot of company’s
TM Lewin? I took advantage on a sale a bought a few more white shirts, also got great deal for a printed tie.
Old 9 July 2020, 01:10 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I thought they lost their market when Lehman and Bear Sterns went under.
Coincidentally, that’s the last time I wore a suit
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:14 AM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I think they lost their way when they started releasing the down market quality outlet lines. Most people did not know that the main retail products were of much better quality.

I bought a tux from them last fall after comparing pretty much everything else available in Denver and found their quality the best by far. Unfortunately, when Zara offers a $299 tux, most people will not shell out the bucks in this day and age.

I agree with most here that bespoke local tailoring is now the best way to go!

In today's age of Walmart and Target cheaper is all people think about. Saving a buck has gotten in their way of making a good living. People can't connect the dots. Now the majority of people make even less and have even greater challenges buying the cheapest of things.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:33 AM   #20
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I visited my local Brooks Brothers store on Sunday. I had visited my AD and figured I’d stop in while there to see what they had in the store.

The store was devoid of customers and only one salesperson. A young very early 20’s young man. I was looking at a gorgeous tux and he said something along the lines of its quality and what not. I told him I have 4 tux’s and am fully aware of Brooks Brothers quality, just trying to justify purchasing a fifth tux when the 4 I have rarely get worn (especially in Covid times).

He then caught me perusing some ties they had. I asked about a solid red tie as mine finally got a stain the cleaners can’t get out. They didn’t have any.

Then I kid you not he says “I am a Commie Liberal but I like to dress conservative. All of Brooks Brothers ties are over priced and I just go online.”

I was dumbfounded. Why he felt the need to tell me his political beliefs is beyond me. Why he suggested I go online to purchase items at lower prices is also beyond me.

Possibly the lack of training for salespeople has lead to the demise of Brooks Brothers?

Anyways to put it shortly and to not get political here, any potential sale ended there and I left the store. Given my last visit I am not at all surprised they are going under.

It is completely different scene than 18 yrs ago when I walked into Brooks Brothers and bought my first suit from a well spoken, knowledgable and respectful salesperson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #21
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
My father was a teenager in the 1950's. He used to tell the story of how he and his friends somehow got ahold of a Brooks Brothers tag, the kind sewn over the inside pocket of a sportcoat. He owned a couple sportcoats, but they were all off the rack from some bargain basement place, and his friends likewise shopped at the same store. Whenever my father (or one of his friends) had a hot date, they would take the Brooks Brothers tag and sew it over the inside pocket of one of their bargain basement sportcoats. Then, when the girl asked for a cigarette over the course of the evening, he would widely open up the sportcoat, and nonchalantly reach into the inside pocket for a smoke, plainly revealing the Brooks Brothers tag. Needless to say that tag got passed around a lot between my father and his friends as the occasion demanded. This was back in the day when kids dressed up on dates, and when a Brooks Brothers sportcoat was the kind of thing that impressed a girl. And also when teenage boys knew how to sew, apparently.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:38 AM   #22
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
My father was a teenager in the 1950's. He used to tell the story of how he and his friends somehow got ahold of a Brooks Brothers tag, the kind sewn over the inside pocket of a sportcoat. He owned a couple sportcoats, but they were all off the rack from some bargain basement place, and his friends likewise shopped at the same store. Whenever my father (or one of his friends) had a hot date, they would take the Brooks Brothers tag and sew it over the inside pocket of one of their bargain basement sportcoats. Then, when the girl asked for a cigarette over the course of the evening, he would widely open up the sportcoat, and nonchalantly reach into the inside pocket for a smoke, plainly revealing the Brooks Brothers tag. Needless to say that tag got passed around a lot between my father and his friends as the occasion demanded. This was back in the day when kids dressed up on dates, and when a Brooks Brothers sportcoat was the kind of thing that impressed a girl. And also when teenage boys knew how to sew, apparently.

That’s awesome!! I wish things were like that still today.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:47 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I visited my local Brooks Brothers store on Sunday. I had visited my AD and figured I’d stop in while there to see what they had in the store.

The store was devoid of customers and only one salesperson. A young very early 20’s young man. I was looking at a gorgeous tux and he said something along the lines of its quality and what not. I told him I have 4 tux’s and am fully aware of Brooks Brothers quality, just trying to justify purchasing a fifth tux when the 4 I have rarely get worn (especially in Covid times).

He then caught me perusing some ties they had. I asked about a solid red tie as mine finally got a stain the cleaners can’t get out. They didn’t have any.

Then I kid you not he says “I am a Commie Liberal but I like to dress conservative. All of Brooks Brothers ties are over priced and I just go online.”

I was dumbfounded. Why he felt the need to tell me his political beliefs is beyond me. Why he suggested I go online to purchase items at lower prices is also beyond me.

Possibly the lack of training for salespeople has lead to the demise of Brooks Brothers?

Anyways to put it shortly and to not get political here, any potential sale ended there and I left the store. Given my last visit I am not at all surprised they are going under.

It is completely different scene than 18 yrs ago when I walked into Brooks Brothers and bought my first suit from a well spoken, knowledgable and respectful salesperson.

This is NOT a Brooks Brothers only phenomenon. But is a challenge most places now have to encounter.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 July 2020, 01:55 AM   #24
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
That's a great story! something I would have done too given the opportunity.
I have always liked BB clothes but work took me to Asia a lot so I got myself suits and shirts tailored in Bangkok at cheaper prices, enough to last me till the end of me days so long as I don't put on more weight.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:32 AM   #25
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Brands like Suit Supply, had been eating away at them. Plus their shirt cuts were horrible slim fit was like a parachute.
This is what I was thinking as well! Baggy grandpa suits and shirts are not the norm today anymore. When you can go into a Suit Supply and get your suit altered within a couple of hours what's the need to go to BB?
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:34 AM   #26
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
This is not surprising. Their quality has gone way down hill.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:37 AM   #27
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
This is not surprising. Their quality has gone way down hill.
Chicken or the egg?

Consumers for the most part are looking only for and willing to only buy the cheapest crap.

That and suits no longer being a thing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 July 2020, 02:43 AM   #28
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I buy them once in a while but they didn't modernize to latest trends, still making people for old folks and Suit Supply opens right in front of them and gets all the younger crowd and then they appear shocked! If you are a business, you cater to everyone not just specific age or classic style!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:17 AM   #29
Mifune
Banned

restructuring?
last two expensive jackets I purchased was from Brooks brothers.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:39 AM   #30
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
This is what I was thinking as well! Baggy grandpa suits and shirts are not the norm today anymore. When you can go into a Suit Supply and get your suit altered within a couple of hours what's the need to go to BB?
I think Suit Supply has got it spot on, stores are modern, bright, helpful sales associates.
BB never moved on, to capture the next generation. Poor cuts, and lack of more modern styles.