The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2020, 10:05 AM   #31
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Here's some good news...

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you.

*picture taken from your UCSD yearbook.
Hilarious!

And I agree, just been so much bad news lately. But “I have to admit, it’s getting better/ It’s getting better all the time (it can’t get no worse!).”
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:34 AM   #32
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Stock market is doing great!
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:49 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good thoughts
Good words
Good deeds

I try my very best.

RIP ~ FM
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:24 PM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I haven't watched the news in at least 10+ years ( I'm 33). I read tech news, financial news, Formula 1 news, and occasionally will brush across apple news and the countless corona related articles. By occasionally I mean maybe once a month. It's awesome. I literally have no idea whats going on in the world outside of my little bubble. I see the text threads that all of our friends are on and the absurd paranoia about everything, most of the time I have no idea what they are talking about. I don't get it.

I don't understand why people want to watch these reporters only reporting the bad every singe day. If nothing bad was happening they wouldn't have anything to talk about, too negative for me. When a pandemic is going on, it's the Super Bowl for these reporters. That to me is strange, and I would rather watch/read what interests me.

You’re preaching to the choir brother. I’m 32 and avoid it like the plague. If someone wants my opinion on something current I’ll spend 5 mins on my iPhone and I can form an educated opinion with the data.

I don’t need this garbage raining on my parade day in and day out. I’m trying to enjoy the days that don’t suck while I’m above ground lol
Old 11 July 2020, 12:42 PM   #35
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’re preaching to the choir brother. I’m 32 and avoid it like the plague. If someone wants my opinion on something current I’ll spend 5 mins on my iPhone and I can form an educated opinion with the data.

I don’t need this garbage raining on my parade day in and day out. I’m trying to enjoy the days that don’t suck while I’m above ground lol
I like this post.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:59 PM   #36
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Jocke is gonna buzz the tower in his Grippen.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:06 PM   #37
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Yes! I think it’s so much easier. If your constantly looking at the negative, it’s hard to be positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:15 PM   #38
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I still you.

So now you can go back to bed again.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:17 PM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I still you.

So now you can go back to bed again.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:52 PM   #40
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Stop reading the news. Haven’t bought a paper or subscribed to one or a news network since years now. I only get a feed from local content producers so I know what’s happening around a 100 km radius.

Ignorance really is bliss.
Old 11 July 2020, 02:06 PM   #41
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Stop reading the news. Haven’t bought a paper or subscribed to one or a news network since years now. I only get a feed from local content producers so I know what’s happening around a 100 km radius.

Ignorance really is bliss.
I'm in the opposite camp but I get what you're saying J. I can't argue that being happy is better than sad and news can be depressing.

I subscribe many newspapers and read them everyday and to me they're like restaurants. Just that. They can provide any meal I want everyday, professionally cooked, and I can choose whatever is on the menu. I like that way. And nowadays it doesn't hurt the wallet.
Old 11 July 2020, 02:20 PM   #42
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
I've never been able to understand this issue. To me news is news. I don't need it to be good or bad. My happiness and sense of well being is not tied to the news. I just need it to be informative and accurate. It's up to me to determine the best source based on this.

If I had to pick one type of news to receive most all the time it would be hands down bad news. Information contained in bad news can warn me of impending events to be avoided or allows time to take steps to improve my current environment. Both are helpful when trying to make prudent safe decisions which ultimately contributes to my happiness.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to hear good news.
Agreed, ignorance isn't bliss. It's just ignorant.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:25 PM   #43
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I haven't watched the news in at least 10+ years ( I'm 33). I read tech news, financial news, Formula 1 news, and occasionally will brush across apple news and the countless corona related articles. By occasionally I mean maybe once a month. It's awesome. I literally have no idea whats going on in the world outside of my little bubble. I see the text threads that all of our friends are on and the absurd paranoia about everything, most of the time I have no idea what they are talking about. I don't get it.

I don't understand why people want to watch these reporters only reporting the bad every singe day. If nothing bad was happening they wouldn't have anything to talk about, too negative for me. When a pandemic is going on, it's the Super Bowl for these reporters. That to me is strange, and I would rather watch/read what interests me.
Exactly! This is my 2nd week of not getting news from any source whatsoever. I committed to taking a break after finally being fed up with the negativity all designed to inflame your emotions to get you to watch, read or click. Feel much better now! Been reading a lot more TRF posts and other watch sites, cycling news and taking an online level 2 course on horticulture from RHS. I should have done this ages ago...
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:25 PM   #44
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Man, the dope's that there's still hope.
Old 11 July 2020, 02:59 PM   #45
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To wake up just one morning to some GOOD news?
Waking up in the morning is just the second hardest thing.

Thank God for our wives/partners/gfs who take care of them

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:00 PM   #46
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
I'm in! Zoom? Or socially awkward/distanced face to face?
+2

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:31 PM   #47
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Where we are when Political Correctness and feelings are overemphasized to the point they have I can certainly understand why this thread might get more of the responses it has.

However no matter how tough it gets ignorance is just that. There are many things I don't like and I cannot change however being informed both good and bad is always better than being unaware.

Where more people believe and feel it better to go through life with their head buried in the sand. Being unaware because it just feels better in large part is responsible for the dumbing down of the masses. I don't know, I don't care, and I couldn't give a s***.

Decisions have consequences even when you don't make one or have no clue.

As a supervisor for many many years where the importance of observation and understanding what and why things happen it's just amazing to me how any intelligent person can come to a different conclusion. I can see why some might because I also have a some clue about human nature, but not for those who actually get it. It does seem that those who do are getting harder to find though.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 July 2020, 11:02 PM   #48
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
However no matter how tough it gets ignorance is just that. There are many things I don't like and I cannot change however being informed both good and bad is always better than being unaware.

My thoughts exactly. I can't even imagine my routine without getting informed from multiple professional sources everyday.
Old 11 July 2020, 11:10 PM   #49
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
If I wake up w/o pain and can walk decently it's a good day. I get about 50% like that.

There is no news as Walter Cronkite used to deliver. Now it's opinion, left or right, and not just the facts. Those days were over with the advent of 24/7 Cable news. People gravitate to the side they favor and get their affirmation.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:14 PM   #50
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
If I wake up w/o pain and can walk decently it's a good day. I get about 50% like that.

There is no news as Walter Cronkite used to deliver. Now it's opinion, left or right, and not just the facts. Those days were over with the advent of 24/7 Cable news. People gravitate to the side they favor and get their affirmation.
It was a sad sorry day when news became more reliant and driven by money.

Networks in the day where the news department was a money loser. Not very realistic when your goal is to make money, but generally a whole lot better when it came to actual reporting and what was going on. Not perfect I'm sure but better because the prime motivator wasn't making money. Now the commentator's aren't journalist they are entertainers who often have talk shows that have nothing to do with news. They entertain. Walter even started doing this later on as well.

Then they also distinctly separated and only on a very limited basis those commentated from those who reported the news.

All said and done I still can't burry my head in the sand.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 July 2020, 12:17 AM   #51
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Good news doesn't sell. It's no longer about informing the public it's about making money and bad news is good entertainment. We only have ourselves to blame.

This. Ratings have soared and networks capitalize on fear.

I’d love some good news too, but I’m afraid we’re in this boat for a while until we have a vaccine, especially if people can’t manage a simple ask like wearing a mask to protect others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:46 AM   #52
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Where we are when Political Correctness and feelings are overemphasized to the point they have I can certainly understand why this thread might get more of the responses it has.

Where more people believe and feel it better to go through life with their head buried in the sand. Being unaware because it just feels better in large part is responsible for the dumbing down of the masses. I don't know, I don't care, and I couldn't give a s***.

Decisions have consequences even when you don't make one or have no clue.

As a supervisor for many many years where the importance of observation and understanding what and why things happen it's just amazing to me how any intelligent person can come to a different conclusion. I can see why some might because I also have a some clue about human nature, but not for those who actually get it. It does seem that those who do are getting harder to find though.
This x1000

You can't even attempt to change anything for the better if you're not aware of it.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:57 AM   #53
Brenngun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post

I agree. It's the opinions and mix of news and opinions that create this problem. This leads to an opportunity. I'd subscribe to a "news only" news broadcast. Absolutely 100% news reporting with 0% opinion, commentary, interviews or commercials. Capture news and report it. No fancy production requirements. No added salt. Just pure news. Update as needed.

Old 12 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #54
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
I agree. It's the opinions and mix of news and opinions that create this problem. This leads to an opportunity. I'd subscribe to a "news only" news broadcast. Absolutely 100% news reporting with 0% opinion, commentary, interviews or commercials. Capture news and report it. No fancy production requirements. No added salt. Just pure news. Update as needed.
Yes, but the validity of the “Pure news” itself is suspect. Even without opinion, commentary, interviews, or commercials, we still have to question what we’re being given, based on who is giving it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #55
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This x1000

You can't even attempt to change anything for the better if you're not aware of it.
For many reasons I take this very seriously. It's amazing the difference what one can do when they actually just care or give a sh**. It's also very evident the difference between those who do and those who don't and the actual results of the two.

This is also why you have to first earn my respect through actions and I will not stand or gravitate towards the affable or those who just talk a good game. For me to like you or even bother with you I first have to respect you. Actions speak louder than words and they mean so much more.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 July 2020, 06:45 AM   #56
Brenngun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Yes, but the validity of the “Pure news” itself is suspect. Even without opinion, commentary, interviews, or commercials, we still have to question what we’re being given, based on who is giving it.
If journalistic integrity is shown and maintained by following SPJ code of ethics then I have no difficulty accepting the validity of news being reported. Much like accepting information from a doctor following their Hippocratic oath. It doesn't mean I won't check or confirm at times but it does mean trust is given until trust is broken. This would be "Pure News". Contrary to popular "opinion" not everyone has an angle. That's the realm of spin doctors portraying themselves as credible journalists and the talking heads who support their "opinion". As an intelligent human being capable of critical thought I believe I can discern the difference.

Old 12 July 2020, 07:41 AM   #57
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
I see this going to get political as the thread carries on, just can smell it already...

Life is good ..Riding my bike 6000 miles a year, gold is almost at a all time high and the interest rate on CD's in Sri Lanka is a whopping 12 1/2 percent. :) Never been on one single drug ever with a BMI of a Ethiopian so what else does one need..? The toys are just a bonus.. Was out on my bike at 430am this morning with a wind blowing at 17mph out of the NWand yes brutal but this old coot prevailed... So is the glass 99% full or 10 % empty..:) LIFE IS GOOD..
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 07:59 AM   #58
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Good news doesn't sell. It's no longer about informing the public it's about making money and bad news is good entertainment. We only have ourselves to blame.
You could not be more correct. I am afraid we as humans are built like that too, the good times and the feelings they elicit never seem to last nearly as long as the bad times. It’s like bad news takes up more space in our heads too than good news.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 08:38 AM   #59
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

EVERY day above ground is a good day.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 09:56 AM   #60
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Just don't turn on the TV....

This is typically what I do with the addition that I do my best to make positive decisions to make my immediate world a better place for myself, my loved ones, and others.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote