The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Riddle me this...

I've only been on here since Oct. 09, and only within the last couple months have I become regularly active. With that being said, what is up with the general tone on here sometimes?

I find there are some members that will routinely post sarcastic, off-colour responses to questions instead of making an effort to explain or point people in the right direction.

There seems to be a very vocal minority, and lots of helpful threads end up derailed in heaps of this crap

I've already met a bunch of very cool people on here and this place continues to be an ever growing resource, but I think some folks need to take a step back and realize that we are here to help each other, not belittle and lambast.

I apologize to the admin team if this is an inappropriate venue, but I felt that I had to share my thoughts.

</soapbox>
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Jason,

What I find even more frustrating are people who share inappropriate material (due to a lack of boundaries, pathology and/or poor judgment), people who can't seem to tolerate having an unexpressed thought and individuals who present themselves in a dishonest vein. For example, as a female, I have received "attention" from a few men who were forthright about everything except one little detail - they failed to mention their marital status. (A slight "oversight" I know!)

We all have different personalities and what you enjoy in a post may be a turn-off to someone else and vice versa. Perhaps since we are dealing with a cross-section of the public, it's advisable to remember that there are bona fide differences between people. These differences are not necessarily better or worse but mere expressions of individual tastes. Faith
Old 20 February 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post

For example, as a female, I have received "attention" from a few men who were forthright about everything except one little detail - they failed to mention their marital status. (A slight "oversight" I know!)
Seriously - that's happened here a few times??? Amazing... . Sorry to hear that. I would hate to see women leave this place because they feel uncomfortable. Granted, no place is perfect and the anonymity of forums makes it easy for someone to act in that way and it will, unfortunately, happen regardless of people getting reprimanded, banned, etc.

Glad you're still here.
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
I've only been on here since Oct. 09, and only within the last couple months have I become regularly active. With that being said, what is up with the general tone on here sometimes?

I find there are some members that will routinely post sarcastic, off-colour responses to questions instead of making an effort to explain or point people in the right direction.

There seems to be a very vocal minority, and lots of helpful threads end up derailed in heaps of this crap

I've already met a bunch of very cool people on here and this place continues to be an ever growing resource, but I think some folks need to take a step back and realize that we are here to help each other, not belittle and lambast.

I apologize to the admin team if this is an inappropriate venue, but I felt that I had to share my thoughts.

</soapbox>
I've noticed this also, with a specific couple of posters repeatedly. It's kind of sad really
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Hi Jason,

First, Apologies just in case I have done any of the naughtiness mentioned, I do have a habit of getting a little out of line every now and then and can be a bit on the short side in the watchout section, 90% of the time thats lack of time here :-(

Since joining you have made many contributions to this forum keep posting and don't let things change the way you think here, we're all friends

Faith, I always love your posts, I do have to apologize for not joining in, sometimes I get carried away reading through, I've been trying lately to get into posting outside watchout but the guys are keeping us very busy :-) might have to hit Stan up for a raise

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Ashley
"TRF" Member

I agree that some people rub me the wrong way with certain posts, but rather than saying my true feelings, I take it to my blog ;)

Seriously though, I think that the mod team does a great job. I have only been seriously offended in two threads, and they were the only two that I have ever reported in over three years of being a member here. They were both dealth with promptly and effectively.

Sometimes, people forget that they may come across in a negative way to people on a forum, because it can be hard to tell one's tone. If you have an issue with a particular post, you could try bringing it up with the person in a PM, or if you find that every single time you see a certain user post a response to a thread you feel like bashing your skull against cement, you can always block them!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:31 PM   #7
idk01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I agree that some people rub me the wrong way with certain posts, but rather than saying my true feelings, I take it to my blog ;)
I hope I've been good Ashley, I better have a catch up on your blog just in case

Old 20 February 2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk01 View Post
I hope I've been good Ashley, I better have a catch up on your blog just in case
Nah, you guys are great. I took down the few posts on my blog ranting about a member. I figured I would try to be the bigger person for once
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:36 PM   #9
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I actually agree with you. Especially when new members post a rather- what would be to us- simple question. I always try to reiterate to the members that jump down peoples throats, that we all started somewhere, and it is always obvious when we know the answer. If you don't ask you will never learn. Furthermore no-one is contracted to reply to what they deem a silly question- feel free to move on and let someone else help them. Otherwise this forum is pretty darn good!!!!

P.S Dave- i will deal with you later!!!!

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 04:41 PM   #10
idk01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
P.S Dave- i will deal with you later!!!!
Hey Chris, I'm going to head over to Michael's for a coffee next weekend, need to shout him a drink or two:-) should join us, then you can deal with me

Old 20 February 2010, 04:44 PM   #11
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Chris, I'm going to head over to Michael's for a coffee next weekend, need to shout him a drink or two:-) should join us, then you can deal with me
sounds good. but are we talking about the yellowish fizzy 'coffee' that comes in pints?

Send me a message nearer the time as that would be good

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 20 February 2010, 04:47 PM   #12
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Jason,

First, Apologies just in case I have done any of the naughtiness mentioned, I do have a habit of getting a little out of line every now and then and can be a bit on the short side in the watchout section, 90% of the time thats lack of time here :-(

Since joining you have made many contributions to this forum keep posting and don't let things change the way you think here, we're all friends

Faith, I always love your posts, I do have to apologize for not joining in, sometimes I get carried away reading through, I've been trying lately to get into posting outside watchout but the guys are keeping us very busy :-) might have to hit Stan up for a raise

Dave.

Yo Dave,

How the hell did you accrue so many posts in so short a time?
Old 20 February 2010, 04:49 PM   #13
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yo Dave,

priorities

P.S i know i am not Dave

Member No.# 11795
Old 20 February 2010, 04:49 PM   #14
idk01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yo Dave,

I can type very fast

not quite as fast as JJ but I'm getting there

Old 20 February 2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Speaking of sarcasm . . . for those of you who share an affinity for things sarcastic, I have just the site for you.

www.sarcasmsociety.com
Old 20 February 2010, 04:58 PM   #16
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking of sarcasm . . . for those of you who share an affinity for things sarcastic, I have just the site for you.

www.sarcasmsociety.com

How to recognize irony

Member No.# 11795
Old 20 February 2010, 10:33 PM   #17
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Like STOP signs, some things are never fully respected.
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 05:42 AM   #18
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazo View Post
I've noticed this also, with a specific couple of posters repeatedly. It's kind of sad really
Agreed
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 07:23 AM   #19
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Jason,

You have to just overlook some things, as in life in general, IMHO. But I will say, when I read something that appears cutting or sarcastic, I try to re-read it. As I have said on this and other forums before, it is very difficult to convey true intent through the written word, solely. However, I agree with you that some things are abrasive, no matter how many times you read them.

Hang in - there are a lot of fine folks here!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote