The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 March 2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Heart-Rate Monitor?

I want to pick up a heart-rate monitor to use while running/biking/working out. I've never owned one and figured if any one would have an educated opinion, it would have to be the folks on TRF.

Any suggestions before I randomly get one?

Thanks.
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
I always wear a HRM when working out since it seriously helps guide the intensity of the exercise. I used to swear by Polar, pros being they are computer compatible, most models enable you to count calories, and because they use a chest strap, you needn't stop or slow down your activity to take an accurate reading. The negatives are that when the battery dies, Polar is the only place where you can get it replaced, and it is a pain in the butt to ship it off and then you wait several weeks for its return. I now rely primarily on my Mio HRM. No uncomfortable chest strap with which to contend and equally as accurate as the Polar. The one drawback is that the HR sensors are in the watch, and to take an accurate reading, one must stop and or lower the intensity of the exercise to ensure accuracy (momentarily defeats the purpose of some exercises). The plus is that you can wear it like a watch, count calories and when the battery dies, any establishment that changes ordinary watch batteries can also change this - it's only a mere pit stop. I hope this was helpful.
Old 4 March 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
I use two.

A Polar which is great when at the gym, & a bulkier Garmin for when I'm running which is also a GPRS & tells me exactly how far I've run.

They're both handy tools BUT I've worn them both at the same time, while on a Life Fitness Cross Trainer which also gave a HR reading to gauge the HR accuracy & the differences were HUGE!
(The Polar reading generally highest).

Personally.... IMHO.... you can't beat the 'scale of perceived exertion' for gauging how hard you're working out.
Similarly I generally ignore the scales when cutting & I gauge my progress by the mirror, my belt, & how my clothes fit.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 03:29 AM   #4
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
SUUNTO X6HR user here !
User replaceable batt, menu driven software, PC but not MAC interface; it has a hiking mode, compass, alarms, barometric p, altitude, its been a world traveler with me, water resist to 50m...

its the black one…

I wear one on each wrist too !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote