The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 April 2020, 09:29 AM   #31
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by macct View Post
I tried getting an anniversary model last year, and was basically told to buy a second watch or leave a deposit of $15K for a watch in the future. I find this really off-putting, especially being a Lange owner. ADs are basically being forced out and it doesn't matter what relationships have been built over the years.

I am not sure what to think of the Odysseus. It looks okay in photos, so it is probably much nicer in person. I didn't even try to reach out to the boutique, though, already knowing what their response would be. With so many other options in the market, I rather go elsewhere (actually did go elsewhere).

At this point, I am down to a single Lange, a perpetual. I don't think I will buy a new Lange at this point when there are so many other options. While I still think the watches are great, their sales tactics will come back an haunt them as they turn off so many past and potential buyers.

Despite their tactics such as raising the price and making this an "application piece" (give me a break) I'd still rather have a Lange, FPJ hasn't exactly been innocent with hyping up the Chronometre Bleu and their designs don;t really appeal to me especially the sport line and the busier models. Maybe revisit the brand when they begin releasing new models in the Odysseus line. and see where it goes.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 10:30 AM   #32
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
I tried getting an anniversary model last year, and was basically told to buy a second watch or leave a deposit of $15K for a watch in the future. I find this really off-putting, especially being a Lange owner. ADs are basically being forced out and it doesn't matter what relationships have been built over the years.

I am not sure what to think of the Odysseus. It looks okay in photos, so it is probably much nicer in person. I didn't even try to reach out to the boutique, though, already knowing what their response would be. With so many other options in the market, I rather go elsewhere (actually did go elsewhere).

At this point, I am down to a single Lange, a perpetual. I don't think I will buy a new Lange at this point when there are so many other options. While I still think the watches are great, their sales tactics will come back an haunt them as they turn off so many past and potential buyers.
Cool watch. It seems like every watch person I know is buying FPJ now.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 11:05 AM   #33
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
the odyesseus is going to be a new line and this first steel version will be one of many. I wouldn't sweat it if you couldn't get the first model as more will surely be available as the line expands.
+1
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 11:50 AM   #34
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
yup
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #35
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
No doubt that fad too will eventually be consumed by something new. As opposed to Lange, which I feel has an actual place in the world, despite its many missteps, nothing I have seen from FPJ so far struck me as irreplaceable. I‘m old enough to remember Frank Muller...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 07:59 AM   #36
macct
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
yup
The FPJ with all the hype is the CB. It is a lovely watch, but the pricing makes no sense. Preowned pricing on the Resonance and Optimum have also escalated. I think a bit of hype, but also few numbers and more collectors seeing the brand. It is a total contrast to Lange which doesn’t generate much buzz outside the Odysseus.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:01 AM   #37
macct
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
No doubt that fad too will eventually be consumed by something new. As opposed to Lange, which I feel has an actual place in the world, despite its many missteps, nothing I have seen from FPJ so far struck me as irreplaceable. I‘m old enough to remember Frank Muller...
It’s fine you don’t care for FPJ, but trying to compare them with Frank Miller is just way off base.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 06:01 PM   #38
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s fine you don’t care for FPJ, but trying to compare them with Frank Miller is just way off base.
Why, two medium-likable guys that came up with a distinctive look that, at a particular time, was the new cool must have for the people who had everything else, but ultimately lacked the raison d‘être that give you a lasting place in the world. If your only USP is fighting boredom, your brand will inevitably fade once it becomes boring. With FPJ, I sense this is only a few years away, as a function of how common they have become and how repetitive the better designs are/how uninspired the attempts to create something new have been.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 13 April 2020, 08:45 PM   #39
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Why, two medium-likable guys that came up with a distinctive look that, at a particular time, was the new cool must have for the people who had everything else, but ultimately lacked the raison d‘être that give you a lasting place in the world. If your only USP is fighting boredom, your brand will inevitably fade once it becomes boring. With FPJ, I sense this is only a few years away, as a function of how common they have become and how repetitive the better designs are/how uninspired the attempts to create something new have been.
I hope they do become a little less popular. Maybe then I could afford a Resonance.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 09:25 PM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Old 14 April 2020, 06:56 AM   #41
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Well I suppose we can’t all give thoughtful responses with views that, however subjective they may be, have at least been somewhat reflected upon.

Good luck fanboy, and good night.

Old 15 April 2020, 06:46 AM   #42
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm not sure which boutique you visited, but almost every single boutique I've been to has one of the anniversary pieces readily available. (NYC, Singapore, HK, Macau). As for the Odysseus, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular piece, I didn't fill out anything other than giving the AD a call in October letting them know I want one, and didn't put down a deposit.

Anyhow, I'm sure you don't expect to walk in a PP store and right out with a 5711, so why would you expect anything different from Lange. Note that PP dress watches are not that strong either on the secondary market.
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 02:47 AM   #43
zly512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
I think the biggest issue is they have only limited production capability so it impacts how many that they could launch in the first phase. Hopefully they can get production up as the watch has surprised me. The bracelet has grown on me and the fit is really nice.
Amazing!!! bracelet can be replaced thats a good news. Hopefully get mine soon
zly512 is offline   Reply With Quote