The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2020, 12:03 PM   #121
1Sassy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Long list at AD’S for the popular models. I don’t think their is a chance of discounting on SS models
1Sassy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:05 PM   #122
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
What a dumb prediction based on nothing; below msrp in your dreams,
A big lol,
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #123
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Sadly you’re being over optimistic OP. The first watches to nose dive will be million plus production so called vintage pieces, GMT 16710 and 5 digit subs. I don’t see much happening on new/unworn pieces, since production has ceased, probably for the first time since WWII.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:09 PM   #124
JRique
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sassy1 View Post
Long list at AD’S for the popular models. I don’t think their is a chance of discounting on SS models
Long list before all this mess...
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:11 PM   #125
44x16
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT/74speedy
I don't see that happening Anytime soon even tho the market at the world is on the Fritz..
44x16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:18 PM   #126
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
As soon as resale prices approach or equal MSRP its game over for premiums. All of the people buying for a quick buck, or buying knowing they can recoup their money in a pinch, are removed from the equation. This tanks demand at AD’s, SS models end up back in cases, and grays have to discount to compete. Grays discounting = people buying at MSRP selling at a loss. Bye bye flippers, speculators, etc. and hello SS inventory at MSRP
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:22 PM   #127
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I can see your underpants.

Enough of these threads already ... we'll find out what's to come when it happens!
Old 6 April 2020, 12:22 PM   #128
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Do I want the prices of luxury items to drop - no - because if they do, it is indicative of a much much wider problem

Do I want everyone to continue doing well and the economy to gain strength - yes - Even if I have to pay a couple grand more for my timepiece - definitely - because it means I will continue to be doing well also

Unfortunately the economy has taken a hit, and in my opinion this effect will be felt for a number of quarters.

Remember what you wish for
Old 6 April 2020, 12:39 PM   #129
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD D-BLUE
I don’t see this happening. I know A LOT of people were negatively affected by this but there are still A LOT of people who were insulated and are doing just fine. Rolex makes 1m watches a year, those will still be claimed. Rolex won’t feel a thing. That’s why they won’t sell online. They don’t have to. It will be business as usual.
Deepsea Sea-Dweller D-BLUE 126660
Uga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:42 PM   #130
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffa View Post
+1
This pandemic is short term and will blow over shortly (as it did in China) Things will go back to normal soon. Rolex won’t be flooding the ADs with hot models in the midst of this mess. The lower priced hot pieces on the gray market will eventually sell off and prices will stabilize soon then start going back up after things settle. How are people comparing Rolex today to Rolex in 2010? Rolex is a different beast today. Every watch brand is suffering to a certain extent because of Rolex.
It isn't over in China, and they aren't back to normal.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:59 PM   #131
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
It isn't over in China, and they aren't back to normal.

Is Fox News parroting this nonsense about Chinese operations being back to normal? I have no idea why so many American members keep saying this when it's so incredibly far from the truth.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:05 PM   #132
ruffa
"TRF" Member

I can see SS discounting at 10-20% in a near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

Is Fox News parroting this nonsense about Chinese operations being back to normal? I have no idea why so many American members keep saying this when it's so incredibly far from the truth.

Looks like you’re parroting nonsense. I work with multiple Chinese manufactures and their companies have been up and running for over 2 weeks now.
ruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:06 PM   #133
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
I can see SS discounting at 10-20% in a near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
What would you call it if it wasn’t demand?

It’s called willingness to pay not demand; its economic concept related To negotiations between two willing parties

There is no demand just a willingness to pay above retail

A bubble is a situation in which the market price is not certain, in a bubble the price is someone’s willingness to pay X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:10 PM   #134
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffa View Post
Looks like you’re parroting nonsense. I work with multiple Chinese manufactures and their companies have been up and running for over 2 weeks now.
Lol and I work with multiple Chinese manufacturers. Did I ever say 'who is saying Chinese business is still closed'? No.

Just because they're open doesn't mean their output is remotely close to what it was before....which is what is implied by....'back to normal'. Serious
Old 6 April 2020, 01:20 PM   #135
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

Ibtl
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:56 PM   #136
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRique View Post
If you are in the market for a hot Rolex SS model just sit and wait, I can see SS Daytona, Pepsi and SD trading bellow MSRP in a near future.

The crisis will affect the average person to the business man, the entire economy, even when this resolve the last thing that will recover is the luxury market and so after years we will see the Grey Market to recover, people that are not watch lovers will not be willing to shell thousands on a big purchase, even if they have a good condition now, who knows the future? Cash is king, so save.

One can say that Rolex can simply control the supply, but they can’t just sit and stay one year out of business, and we all know that they artificially control the supply of SS models, nobody wants DJ and PM models.

Thats for a Rolex, which is a brand that has a history of value retention, maybe along with some AP and PP models, but for other brands? The scenario will be even worst.

Richemont shares now are trading at 50% discount so the market is already predicting it, and the manufacturers are the strongest player of this business, lets says the AD’s and Grey Dealers…

I would not be surprised to see by end of year...

Above MSRP - Daytona, Pepsi, Skydweller blue (but only a few grand, for example Pepsis for $13-14K, Daytona black at $14-15K, Daytona white at $16K)

MSRP and above - Batman, Hulk (MSRP or maybe $1-2K more - of course, if Hulk is discontinued then it would go to above category)

MSRP or slightly below - Sub, Sub Date, Seadweller, and Explorer I and II, DJ SS blue dial

Below MSRP - pretty much everything else

*** once the modern pieces hit 5 years old (out of warranty) they will drop considerably vs. same model with warranty
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:00 PM   #137
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyhats View Post
Not very good at this are we. Rolex’s market is for an AD to sell them, not greys. The greys inventory is watches bought from the AD. There is no inventory sitting at the AD currently, as such the AD is not flooded the grey market it. Following yet?
Yes but the open market is somewhat reflective of realized AD inventory.

There is no lack of inventory for a BLRO or SS Daytona.

If all those flipper sales go away because greys aren’t buying anymore, the first time buyer has a shot at an AD again.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:06 PM   #138
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Lol no

Because in China, Government is final, and if they tell you to stay home, people did it. Majority of China was a ghost town shortly after outbreak, I know this for a fact.

USA? You have clowns having ‘coronavirus parties’ and even STILL hanging out on the beach to this day. That’s why the cases are exploding and are still growing exponentially.

This is one of the very few examples where government having much more control is an incredibly good thing. Can’t fix stupid.

So, they had coronavirus parties in Italy too? Lol. I don’t think so.

Webster2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:16 PM   #139
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster2281 View Post
So, they had coronavirus parties in Italy too? Lol. I don’t think so.

Very weak comparison.

Their case fatality rate is high, our actual confirmed case number is growing at a more exponential/alarming rate than theirs (actually faster than anywhere else in the world and has been for weeks mind you).

Not to mention, your point doesn’t even make sense. The post I quoted, simply compared China’s lessened numbers to the US and I explained why that was so. I was comparing Apples to Oranges, now you’re trying to compare Apples to tangerines...why?

Nice try though
Old 6 April 2020, 02:17 PM   #140
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Pure speculation.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:30 PM   #141
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There's always a group of people waiting for the "right" time to purchase a Rolex. The truth is they are never going to buy one - just like stocks or housing.

Complaining about over inflated prices, will not pay over retails, once prices is at retail, they will only buy at discount, when they are offered discount, they will wait for deeper discounts. When prices creep back up, they complain about it and swear to buy when it dips. The never ending cycle - might be better off finding another hobby.
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:36 PM   #142
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17noir View Post
There's always a group of people waiting for the "right" time to purchase a Rolex. The truth is they are never going to buy one - just like stocks or housing.

Complaining about over inflated prices, will not pay over retails, once prices is at retail, they will only buy at discount, when they are offered discount, they will wait for deeper discounts. When prices creep back up, they complain about it and swear to buy when it dips. The never ending cycle - might be better off finding another hobby.
I disagree. There’s plenty of people who bought at MSRP (myself included), but refuse to pay exorbitant inflated prices, but will continue to purchase when they once again are at their ‘normal’ price. Trying to stereotype others with this mindset into being cheap is a bit odd.

We should find a new hobby because we patiently wait to not pay above what the actual factory retailer sells something for? I’m sure salesmen love people with your logic
Old 6 April 2020, 02:46 PM   #143
viswak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Do I want the prices of luxury items to drop - no - because if they do, it is indicative of a much much wider problem

Do I want everyone to continue doing well and the economy to gain strength - yes - Even if I have to pay a couple grand more for my timepiece - definitely - because it means I will continue to be doing well also

Unfortunately the economy has taken a hit, and in my opinion this effect will be felt for a number of quarters.

Remember what you wish for
Amen. I could not agree more. People need to realize what they wish for. The recession will be so deep, that it will affect everybody.
viswak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:19 PM   #144
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There will still be loads of rich and aspiring rich people in the world and social media will still be with us to showcase who has what, and watches like Rolexes will soon acquire even higher status with the vaulting classes, so any fall in prices and demand will probably only be in the short term; this virus - as it currently is - will not change the guts of human nature or desire.
But hits the pocket which is what actually provides the ability to buy
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:55 PM   #145
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
You would have to see unprecedented supply on the SS watches for ADs to start discounting. You would need to have two Subs sitting in a display case before they would consider any discount.... I can't see that happening.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:01 PM   #146
Nauti
"TRF" Member

Another “your watch is now worthless” thread .......ok

Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:41 PM   #147
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdate View Post
But hits the pocket which is what actually provides the ability to buy
Indeed, in the short term, but govts will be under enormous pressure to ease open up their economies fairly soon combined with mass testing, with then older people having to sacrifice their freedom and stay indoors for many more months, that is how I see this playing out. The economy will soon become the priority in the public opinion. If the virus mutates to killing under 50s at the rate of over 70s then the medics will win the argument and we will all be in lockdown for 6 months plus and yes then we are into depression territory and all bets are off, but with the figures and plateauing we are now seeing in Spain and Italy and Germany that is not looking likely.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:12 PM   #148
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti View Post
Another “your watch is now worthless” thread .......ok

I hope this means you won’t be leaving anymore comments on this thread.

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
sallyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:17 PM   #149
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
If you are in the market for a hot Rolex SS model just sit and wait, I can see SS Daytona, Pepsi and SD trading bellow MSRP in a near future.

OP: Please lend me your "Special Glasses" that let you look into the future and see Rolex watches being worth diddly squat.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:19 PM   #150
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
It's quite obvious this global crisis situation will drop grey prices and increase availability of all models at ADs. The ones arguing against this are emotionally tied into the value of their collection. As unfortunate as this situation is, it will be a great opportunity for some of us collectors to get the pieces we've always wanted at msrp from ADs.

You’re making too much sense for some members. As you said, some are too emotional to see the obvious. Never buy any watch as an investment guys.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote