The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2019, 10:41 PM   #121
mml4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
While I don’t own a PM, realistically, honestly, candidly, openly, there are more SS because less can afford PM, plain and simple. Not the only reason, but a big one.
Well said!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:46 PM   #122
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
That's like saying why don't you get your wedding ring made of steel instead of WG? Most "other" people will know your married but won't know the difference by looking at it from afar. You wear it for yourself and to know yourself what your wearing, and that's the precious metal.

If money was no object to me, I'd pick WG over SS every day of the week (and over YG too). SS are by far more popular because of the pricing.

I suppose there are plenty of people who just care for the "flash" and what others think of them, they won't understand the WG feeling..
100% and well said
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:11 PM   #123
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
You are just so cool it’s staggering....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll just choose to refrain from letting you know what I think of you in response.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:29 PM   #124
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The simplest answer is you wear white gold for yourself, you wear yellow gold for everyone else.

I still prefer SS over WG due to the weight reduction and SS being a harder metal and more resistant to dings and dents.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:30 PM   #125
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I have always loved Yellow Gold. (rings, chain etc) However a watch that is all YG seems a bit overpowering and for me could attract the wrong kind of attention. When I went to a PM this time I went with the WG Pepsi. 2 reasons were to not attract too much attention and also so the exclusivity of the Pepsi bexel.

Rolex's formula with WG is remarkable to where its not Rhodium plated and looks beautiful all polished up. Truly a first for WG and also hard to understand completely how they do it.

That was all before the last Basel for me. Then they go and introduce a Stainless version of the same looking watch/model. Never really felt the same afterwards about the watch and never warmed up to the WG aspect although it was a nice watch.

I ended up trading back down to a 2 tone sub (always liked 2 tones) and got a bunch of cash back and didnt get too hurt with my 1 year WG experiment. Still like WG and may have another one some day at some point. Good thing were all different and I definitely get the WG thought process.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:30 PM   #126
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
WG worn by a select few, its certainly not for everyone. We dont care if others get it, we do so that's how we roll.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:41 PM   #127
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I like white gold; if others don’t, they don’t buy it. Simple really.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:51 PM   #128
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I don't understand the problem. So what if it looks like SS. If you don't get, don't buy it. No need to bash the people that do though.

To most people on the street an Invicta looks like a Rolex so why pay more than $200 for a watch at all??
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:59 PM   #129
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I’ll just choose to refrain from letting you know what I think of you in response.

Probably the smart move

DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:03 AM   #130
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Don't give a damn. Choice is up to the person purchasing/wearing. Just my two cents.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #131
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I know I'm in the VAST minority here in that I don't care for white gold at all. I know there's a subtle difference in hue and know that it weighs more but I'll address the elephant in the room and say that it looks like stainless. Shocking, I know. Matter of fact, and again I'll expect push back on here, I bet if there were two identical models in stainless and white gold, 90% of people on here couldn't tell the difference visually. I think that gold should well....look kind of like gold. And again, just my opinion the same goes with platinum. I understand that Rolex offers different dial/bezel combinations for them but IMO still look a hell of a lot like stainless to me.
Here's the list of WG significance to me in no particular order...

WG vs SS: It's not a big deal to me, but if you have the same watch in WG or SS, I'd prefer the WG simply because of the way it feels on the wrist. Again, if all things were equal I'd go for the WG every time. That said, if I had to pay 2x, 3x or 4x as much I'd be much much happier with SS.

WG Exclusive Models: I'm a sucker for "that dial" or "strap/bracelet" combo, etc. Since we're talking about Rolex, typically Rolex offers exclusive dials and combinations for WG, YG, RG and PT. In the case of my 116519 I have to have it cause of the dial.

I love the feel of the watch, but that alone is not what's driving me to spend twice as much as a SS Daytona. But actually in this case, it wasn't that much more to get my hands on a 116519 because of the market value on the 116500.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:10 AM   #132
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

It doesn't matter whether white gold or platinum looks like stainless steel. When someone buys a watch he/she buys it for himself/herself, the others don't need to know anything about it, whether it is made from stainless steel, white gold or platinum or whether the person has a watch on wrist on the whole.
Old 25 January 2019, 12:14 AM   #133
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
I don't get people who don't get white gold.

Let them continue paying double MSRP for stainless if they love it so much...
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:21 AM   #134
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I hate the phase, “It is what it is,” but that is how I feel about gold. Natural gold is YG, not WG. I know many TRF members talk about not being noticed or flying under the radar, and that’s fine by me but wearing YG is wearing what has been worn for thousands of years. It has been worn for its rich color and beauty across most cultures and lands for antiquity. It is recognized by most people for this very reason. Recent stereotypes of hairy-chested Mafia members or gold-toothed rappers have cheapened and diminished its reputation for some, but yellow gold will forever be valued for its aesthetic worth.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:30 AM   #135
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I hate the phase, “It is what it is,” but that is how I feel about gold. Natural gold is YG, not WG. I know many TRF members talk about not being noticed or flying under the radar, and that’s fine by me but wearing YG is wearing what has been worn for thousands of years. It has been worn for its rich color and beauty across most cultures and lands for antiquity. It is recognized by most people for this very reason. Recent stereotypes of hairy-chested Mafia members or gold-toothed rappers have cheapened and diminished its reputation for some, but yellow gold will forever be valued for its aesthetic worth.
I hear you on this. When I bought a DD40 a couple years ago I strongly considered getting a WG DD, but after a lot of consideration, I decided if I'm gonna go for gold, I should get something that actually looks like gold (ended up getting RG but you get me).

Anyhow, ultimately the watch got almost no wrist time cause it was a colored gold and it's just not my style. As I mentioned in my post above, I love the feel and weight of precious metal, but that alone is not enough to drive me to buy gold. It has to be an exclusive design, dial or combination that pushes me over the edge.

Looking down at my watch and getting the warm and fuzzies is the most important thing. If the watch that sings the loudest to me is SS, I want it. IF it happens to be WG, I WANT IT!

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:41 AM   #136
tyngshen
"TRF" Member

"I don't like to be flashy. That's why I'm only buying this $30k white gold ROLEX."
tyngshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:44 AM   #137
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I bought my white gold Submariner because I love the dial and bezel which you can only get on that specific reference, and I don’t want any one to know it’s a 30K+ time piece. That’s it. I don’t necessarily like the weight of it. I find it a bit heavy, which most people love, and I don’t really care for the PCL’s.other than that, I do love the warm hue of yellow that you can sometimes see in certain light and I love that most watch enthusiasts know what it is and will comment on it.

But I suggest that if you are only going to own one PM watch, the OP is right, it should be in yellow gold. If you’re gonna spend that much money on a watch, everybody better damn well recognize
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:54 AM   #138
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Quote:

X2

DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:06 AM   #139
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

Why do people buy fine paintings, all they are is some paint, canvas, and labor costs for the artist? My opinion, they look pretty to those who purchase them and people like looking at pretty things.

I love my Smurf, I love my WG Daytona, and they look pretty on my wrist.
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #140
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I never understood white gold or why anyone would buy such a piece, until I joined this forum. I've read numerous discussions here and I really started taking a closer look at WG. I totally understand and the appeal behind them now. I can also tell the difference too, in which I could not before. WG with that "warmer"/"softer" look is definitely nice, and would surely catch my eye if I saw someone wearing it. However, since I am now a more educated WIS/watch nerd so to speak thanks to this forum, I can appreciate things like that. :)

As for probably 99% of the general public.....Yeah, they won't have much respect for a WG piece and will think it's a SS watch. Is WG worth the price of admission to me? No, definitely not as my watch budget is limited. However, if I had a large budget to spend on watches, I would DEFINITELY have a few WG pieces in my collection!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:30 AM   #141
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
To me YG is king. That is the only gold color that will be around for centuries to come and the true color of gold.
I agree fully. WG is in style, especially on this forum. I think many who want a metal color for their watch that "flies under the radar" which by the way is a ridiculous term are truly fearful of wearing yellow gold for many reasons. They fear being noticed, they fear being robbed, they fear of projecting themselves as ostentatious. They fear offending their co-workers and/or boss. If I want to wear a white metal watch it will be SS or Platinum. Because these 2 metals are "white" in their natural color and don't have to be artificially "manipulated" to look like something they are not.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:27 AM   #142
happy_jon
"TRF" Member

On this topic. What would you guys think of someone who purposely bought a PM watch that looked exactly like the SS version.
Crazy? Discreet? Why bother?
happy_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:35 AM   #143
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_jon View Post
On this topic. What would you guys think of someone who purposely bought a PM watch that looked exactly like the SS version.
I’d think, “Your money, your choice.”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:38 AM   #144
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Natural gold is YG, not WG.
Stainless steel is not natural at all.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:47 AM   #145
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_jon View Post
Someone posted "Stealth wealth" earlier in this thread, and I think that describes it perfectly. WG is perfect for someone who wants to fly under the radar. Only that sharp and knowledgeable "eye" will be able to spot what the watch really is.
Old 25 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #146
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Someone posted "Stealth wealth" earlier in this thread, and I think that describes it perfectly. WG is perfect for someone who wants to fly under the radar. Only that sharp and knowledgeable "eye" will be able to spot what the watch really is.
That term is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. How do wealthy folks who live in multi-million dollar mansions disguise their house? How do they disguise their Italian Ferraris, Lambos or Bentleys? Place a Toyota nameplate on them? The only sharp and knowledgeable eye you should be concerned with are watch thieves who know these watches when they see them
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:57 AM   #147
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Checking eBay prices on WG Submariners versus YG Submariners, you’ll pay a 25% premium for WG. Same year models.

eBay doesn’t lie.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:00 AM   #148
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
X 1000 Well said!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:08 AM   #149
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
That term is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. How do wealthy folks who live in multi-million dollar mansions disguise their house? How do they disguise their Italian Ferraris, Lambos or Bentleys? Place a Toyota nameplate on them?
True, they cannot disguise their multi-million dollar mansions, but they don't go out in public walking around with their homes on their wrists either. I do notice however, that quite a few high dollar homes are surrounded by private fences and purposely planted trees or bushes to "hide" the property. As for exotic cars, most do also own a "regular" car like a Camry or Civic in addition for times when they don't want to be so showy. I guess that's how they would "disguise" their flashy car, by switching accordingly?

I am thinking that a WG Rolex gets the best of both worlds in one piece and that would be the appeal of it. From what I can gather on the forum here, most people who own a full YG or RG watch, also own a SS or some other daily watch too. I'm thinking that's kinda like the exotic car/regular car thing. The WG version will maybe be equivalent to a Maybach.....not as flashy as a Ferrari but is very expensive, and people who know what it is will appreciate it? People who have no idea will think it's just some luxury car equivalent to a Lexus or Cadillac.

I, unfortunately cannot speak from experience since I do not own a WG or full PM. I am just speculating. Maybe some members who own WG watches can share their thoughts on what the appeal is to them, and why they purchased one? There are some that have chimed in already, but more are always welcomed! :)
Old 25 January 2019, 03:12 AM   #150
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
That term is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. How do wealthy folks who live in multi-million dollar mansions disguise their house? How do they disguise their Italian Ferraris, Lambos or Bentleys? Place a Toyota nameplate on them? The only sharp and knowledgeable eye you should be concerned with are watch thieves who know these watches when they see them
I wouldn't drive on of those either. And I could. Its just a very different mindset. Yellow gold is ostentatious and purpose driven. Anyone saying otherwise isn't being truthful.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote