The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2020, 01:06 PM   #1
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Push Present now in danger!!!???

No question on this thread, just looking for some advices and comforting.

With all this crazyness, I now just hope my AD will be back in business in the next 6-7 weeks.

My wife should deliver a boy by then and I’ve been planinng (some might even say it was part of the deal) from Day One the idea to get a watch on that exact day, have his name on the card along with his birth day, keep it full box and in perfect shape so that he scores big when he receives it and decides to sell because he just doesn’t give a sht on watches.

Only God knows I’ve been praying for a boy, hoping to be endearing my AD and get a bit higher on that Hulk list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:30 PM   #2
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Congratulations on your incoming baby boy!!

If you want to gift him a Hulk, even if everything opened by then, I wouldn't count on the AD getting you a Hulk on the same day. I'd go grey.

If you're not hoping to give him a Hulk and hope the purchase of another watch will push you higher on the list for a Hulk for yourself, then it behooves you to wait until the shop opens but may thwart your plans of purchasing a birth-year Rolex on the day your son is born.

In this situation, if you want the day-dated Rolex, I would contact ADs doing remote business and see if it's possible to get a watch dated on his birthday and shipped to you. It will be in as pristine condition as though you picked it up yourself.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:40 PM   #3
GoPackGo!
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126333
I'd say focus on the important stuff and that would be the health of your new born to be and your wife while everything else goes on around you these days.
GoPackGo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:54 PM   #4
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
Congratulations on your incoming baby boy!!

If you want to gift him a Hulk, even if everything opened by then, I wouldn't count on the AD getting you a Hulk on the same day. I'd go grey.

If you're not hoping to give him a Hulk and hope the purchase of another watch will push you higher on the list for a Hulk for yourself, then it behooves you to wait until the shop opens but may thwart your plans of purchasing a birth-year Rolex on the day your son is born.

In this situation, if you want the day-dated Rolex, I would contact ADs doing remote business and see if it's possible to get a watch dated on his birthday and shipped to you. It will be in as pristine condition as though you picked it up yourself.

Great idea, didn’t know there are ADs doing remote business. Any suggestions? I’m based in Europe - Romania, so something within EU would help but I would not say NO to an US AD that’s got a cool piece available.

Thank you!

Old 2 April 2020, 01:59 PM   #5
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Great idea, didn’t know there are ADs doing remote business. Any suggestions? I’m based in Europe - Romania, so something within EU would help but I would not say NO to an US AD that’s got a cool piece available.

Thank you!

PM me. I'll reach out to some people and see what I can do. I know that there are ADs that are taking purchases over the phone. Some are shipping out now and others are waiting until the virus is over. Regardless, however, they may be able to arrange it where they date the card on his birthday before shipping it out.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:10 PM   #6
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I don't know if this is your first kid or not, but for me, that entire day was an intense whirlwind from start to finish. A long, terrifying, exhausting whirlwind. The last thing I'd want to do was try to figure out some way to purchase a watch on the same day.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:19 PM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you!

I’m quite certain it’s a blatant breach of contract for any AD to ship to another country (within EU may be excluded as there is a common currency).

Plus let’s just be honest....hulk is still hot, no way an AD is giving that up to some unknown overseas buyer.

I have a girl due in a few weeks myself.....enjoy the ride and treasure the moment. Stressing out to have a watch on the EXACT day should be a very low priority in the whole realm of things. Just my 2c.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:31 PM   #8
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

You want to buy a watch with a baby's name on the warranty card, put it in a closet for 20 years and then give it to your son?

If I were your son, it would be more meaningful to me to receive a watch that you had worn through all our experiences together. The watch sitting in a closet for 20 years seems hollow. If you must buy it in your son's name, then do that, wear it for 20 years so he has the memories of you wearing it. Then send it off to the spa for a full service and give to him looking brand new. THAT would be meaningful.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:34 PM   #9
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo! View Post
I'd say focus on the important stuff and that would be the health of your new born to be and your wife while everything else goes on around you these days.
OP I did a very similar thing for my baby boy, and put his name on the card when he was born. I wear the hulk occasionally. It is his.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:46 PM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
You want to buy a watch with a baby's name on the warranty card, put it in a closet for 20 years and then give it to your son?

If I were your son, it would be more meaningful to me to receive a watch that you had worn through all our experiences together. The watch sitting in a closet for 20 years seems hollow. If you must buy it in your son's name, then do that, wear it for 20 years so he has the memories of you wearing it. Then send it off to the spa for a full service and give to him looking brand new. THAT would be meaningful.
Or throw that Hulk money at the market right now, let it grow, then buy him a Rolex in 20 years of his choosing + let him keep the additional $ as a gift
Old 2 April 2020, 04:48 PM   #11
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Congratulations and I wish you and your wife the best. Not to be a party pooper but have you ever considered that a Rolex might not be worth nearly what you think or hope it will be in twenty years?
But as someone else stated I think your son would love if you wear the watch. Take a picture of you wearing it while holding him on his first day and that watch will be infinitely more valuable.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 04:55 PM   #12
Ihatecheese
Banned

Congratulations on the upcoming baby! It's going to be stressful. I'd put the watch on the back burner personally and ensure mum is completely at ease. Then once things calm focus on the fun stuff. :)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 05:16 PM   #13
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Congrats on your upcoming baby
Push present has a different meaning here, you buy your wife a gift for doing all the hard work
Old 2 April 2020, 05:21 PM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Push present has a different meaning here, you buy your wife a gift for doing all the hard work
This guy knows how to wife
Old 2 April 2020, 08:39 PM   #15
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post

Hahahaha. You got me. But that was the deal before we knew what’s going to be. In case it would have been a girl, we would have got a DJ36 two tone and champagne dial, just like the birth year one she wears daily.

Old 2 April 2020, 08:51 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations in advance on your new child.

No watch or worldly gift will make that day any more special than the health of mom and new baby son.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:00 PM   #17
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Passed the phone to my wife so she can read herself all the love and care coming from you guys, she’s very touched by it, sends back her hugs and kisses.

Meanwhile, let’s not lose focus on the issue here.

The idea is to get the things ready days or even weeks before due date, transfer the money to AD proforma invoice based, have the watch on stand by and when the game is ON, just a call or text to AD and have the sale registered, with final invoice+receipt+card on that very day and just pick the watch later.

No way will I let a watch be more important than my baby.
But would be nice if all things would merge in this magical scenario.
And no way would I let that watch sit, I’d wear the hell out of it.

Meanwhile, I’ll have to settle with whats available around the house:

Old 2 April 2020, 09:10 PM   #18
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

BTW, any of you guys had the issue with this very bad allignment of the 9 o’clock marker on the dial vs the 45 on the bezel? This one is off by a mile, I didn’t notice in time but I doubt AD would go in the back and just come with another one for replacement.

Old 2 April 2020, 09:15 PM   #19
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
OP I did a very similar thing for my baby boy, and put his name on the card when he was born. I wear the hulk occasionally. It is his.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

come back in 20 years and let us know his reaction when you passed it to him.

Old 2 April 2020, 09:29 PM   #20
drrd
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. Will this be your first child?

I'm just trying to imagine the conversation you have with your (adult) child when you present the watch.

I know (trust!) you're not going to be rushing out of the delivery suite to meet the AD behind closed shutters...

If everything returns to normal in a year or two then get a nice watch to put away for your child. I think they'll really appreciate your story, your original idealised plan but how you put it aside to focus instead on your family.

Forget the watch for now, it's completely unimportant.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:07 PM   #21
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Congratulations. Will this be your first child?

I'm just trying to imagine the conversation you have with your (adult) child when you present the watch.

I know (trust!) you're not going to be rushing out of the delivery suite to meet the AD behind closed shutters...

If everything returns to normal in a year or two then get a nice watch to put away for your child. I think they'll really appreciate your story, your original idealised plan but how you put it aside to focus instead on your family.

Forget the watch for now, it's completely unimportant.

Thank you! The first of many, we hope. In the end these ideas I present here are nothing more than too much time on hand due to lockdown. Life will get back to normal soon, I hope, for all of us out there.

Old 2 April 2020, 10:20 PM   #22
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the end these ideas I present here are nothing more than too much time on hand due to lockdown.
That's what I thought :)

Very best wishes to you both.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:33 PM   #23
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your young growing family. :) Best of luck on the watch but you already have the real treasure and thanks for letting us share your joy. Let us know when the baby arrives and I'll have a shot of vodka and pretend it's a palinka.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
In never understood this idea of buying a watch for a child and letting it sit, and maybe they will be into watches. Let me invite you to consider wearing the hell out of your watch, wear it with your child doing everything. They will associate that watch with those memories and you. The result 1) if they do not turn out to be a watch person will have true sentimental value, 2) if they are a watch person will have far more meaning than any watch randomly bought and stuffed in a safe. That’s my 2 cents.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:08 PM   #25
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Congratulations on the new addition! I hope all goes well when the time comes.

My wife is due with our son on June 4.

I do hope that my children share my passion for watches and horology when the time comes. I've always debated passing down a piece or buying them their first piece. Really a matter of what speaks to them etc. What's sentimental to me my not be to them.
Old 2 April 2020, 11:48 PM   #26
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
I don't know if this is your first kid or not, but for me, that entire day was an intense whirlwind from start to finish. A long, terrifying, exhausting whirlwind. The last thing I'd want to do was try to figure out some way to purchase a watch on the same day.
+1. If you plan on heading to an AD the day your wife gives birth, it must be your first!

Old 3 April 2020, 04:33 AM   #27
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Congratulations on your young growing family. :) Best of luck on the watch but you already have the real treasure and thanks for letting us share your joy. Let us know when the baby arrives and I'll have a shot of vodka and pretend it's a palinka.

So glad to see familiar faces here, on TRF.

I’ll have a shot of palincă and pretend all of you out there are having one too.

For each palincă bottle, here in România we get a free GMT.
Old 3 April 2020, 05:56 AM   #28
Iulian.Butum
"TRF" Member

Salut,Iulian sunt,esti primul roman de care dau aici pe forum !Sper ca esti(sunteți bine )și felicitări pentru cel mic.Poate mai conversăm când ai timp.Eu sunt de trei ani in Tenerife cu toată familia,și apropo aici e liniște ,majoritatea au plecat de aici,puțin au venit decand cu nebunia asta!
Iulian.Butum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:17 AM   #29
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
Congrats on your new child!!! Hope everything goes well during this crazy time. I have 2 boys myself. The older one is getting the black dial DaytonaC that I wear, and my younger one will get the white dial DaytonaC that my wife wears.
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:32 AM   #30
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Or throw that Hulk money at the market right now, let it grow, then buy him a Rolex in 20 years of his choosing + let him keep the additional $ as a gift
You always have the good replies sir. My thoughts exactly. How about making sure he has a college fund or start a brokerage account and throw some money on airlines and oil so he has a downpayment for a house or a car instead of a freaking watch.
I say this from experience - my father painstakingly amassed a collection of human teeth, obtaining one for each of my birthdays. When he finally passed his collection on to me, I wasn't into it so the collection didn't have the same value to me as it did him. Similar thing could happen in this scenario.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote