The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2020, 02:47 AM   #31
Milsub114060
Banned

Milsub114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:48 AM   #32
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Okay, I see it and I guess I believe it but want to see how it was done.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:49 AM   #33
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

was the original insert destroyed?
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 02:55 AM   #34
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsub114060 View Post

Looks great! Can you add a date at 3 o’clock (no mag). Would then be my perfect patch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:00 AM   #35
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi op.

Can you post a few pics in the modified rolex thread.
Old 5 April 2020, 03:02 AM   #36
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

You need one of these and the proper delrin dies Ref: 2400-100 for the set. Any other tool/hand fitting and you will crack and insert at some stage. You need even pressure on the back of the bezel and top of the insert. Even with this tool the ‘snap’ noise is rather nerve wracking, a horrible job considering the expense and rarity of ceramic inserts. Ignore the case references on the documentation, it’s the same tool for Ali and ceramic inserts.

Last edited by antrolexsub; 5 April 2020 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: Adding images
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:23 AM   #37
Milsub114060
Banned

Old 5 April 2020, 04:05 AM   #38
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op.

Can you post a few pics in the modified rolex thread.
I will do cheers
Old 5 April 2020, 04:06 AM   #39
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
was the original insert destroyed?
No I have both full bezel assemblies and can revert to 15min one but never will except if I take it into service
Old 5 April 2020, 04:16 AM   #40
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Earth calling Bas.......

Earth calling Bas....

Bas, come in please...over.

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:27 AM   #41
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’ve got balls my friend I give you that. It’s an underwear soiling job even with the right tools. The purists won’t like it but that does look rather good.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #42
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Sorry, I'm calling troll on this one folks.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:40 AM   #43
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Earth calling Bas.......

Earth calling Bas....

Bas, come in please...over.

What do you want me to say?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:49 AM   #44
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
You’ve got balls my friend I give you that. It’s an underwear soiling job even with the right tools. The purists won’t like it but that does look rather good.
Thank you really appreciate it - it wasn’t easy and no fancy tools needed at all but yes needed nerves of steel to do but nothing was going to stop me getting the watch I always wanted - if Rolex wasn’t going to build it then sod them I’ll build it myself 😂
Old 5 April 2020, 04:58 AM   #45
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post

Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:01 AM   #46
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Not worth a response just a point out
Old 5 April 2020, 05:12 AM   #47
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
You need one of these and the proper delrin dies Ref: 2400-100 for the set. Any other tool/hand fitting and you will crack and insert at some stage. You need even pressure on the back of the bezel and top of the insert. Even with this tool the ‘snap’ noise is rather nerve wracking, a horrible job considering the expense and rarity of ceramic inserts. Ignore the case references on the documentation, it’s the same tool for Ali and ceramic inserts.

Apparently not.

Quote:
no fancy tools needed at all
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:44 AM   #48
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vCoupe View Post
Why is that?

Quote:
Not worth a response just a point out
Well since you asked and I have nothing but time:

First off it's a brand new member with very little credibility, posts, etc, but that can be overlooked. I didn't have any either when I first signed up.

Second, the OP asks if it can be done and how to do it. He then magically figures it out in an hour and then posts he successfully completed it. All we get are "finished" pictures that could have been re-posted/copied from somewhere else on the internet. His claims are contrary to what many long time members know to be quite difficult if not impossible to do without the correct tools. That is all based on FACT & EVIDENCE from years of posts.

This OP has manage to figure it out and post about it WITHOUT ANY FACT OR EVIDENCE, any before/after/during the process, nothing without the proper tools.

Now if the OP can produce before, during, and after pictures, I will put my foot in my mouth and publicly apologize.

4vCoupe, if you read from the beginning, starting with the OPs initial question then sudden claims, that is why.
Old 5 April 2020, 05:58 AM   #49
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Well since you asked and I have nothing but time:

First off it's a brand new member with very little credibility, posts, etc, but that can be overlooked. I didn't have any either when I first signed up.

Second, the OP asks if it can be done and how to do it. He then magically figures it out in an hour and then posts he successfully completed it. All we get are "finished" pictures that could have been re-posted/copied from somewhere else on the internet. His claims are contrary to what many long time members know to be quite difficult if not impossible to do without the correct tools. That is all based on FACT & EVIDENCE from years of posts.

This OP has manage to figure it out and post about it WITHOUT ANY FACT OR EVIDENCE, any before/after/during the process, nothing without the proper tools.

Now if the OP can produce before, during, and after pictures, I will put my foot in my mouth and publicly apologize.

4vCoupe, if you read from the beginning, starting with the OPs initial question then sudden claims, that is why.
Sorry you feel so bad about things there are plenty of people whom I have shared pics with today and do not need to pander to you but I will give you 1 pic just so you can put your foot firmly back in your mouth and eat some humble pie. Honestly so negative some people can be. I’m just trying to share pics I’m not after the Nobel peace prize.

Old 5 April 2020, 06:04 AM   #50
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry you feel so bad about things there are plenty of people whom I have shared pics with today and do not need to pander to you but I will give you 1 pic just so you can put your foot firmly back in your mouth and eat some humble pie. Honestly so negative some people can be. I’m just trying to share pics I’m not after the Nobel peace prize.
That still doesnt show much. I could take a pic like that, so I will give you a partial apology.

I am publicly partially sorry.

Since you have manage to defy years of wisdom here on TRF, it would be great if you could share the whole process of the impossible with us. I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of members would love to see how this was done without the recommended tools, without the gasket, etc.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #51
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you didn't "push the ceramic insert into the bezel assembly," you swapped bezel assemblies?

Now that becomes much more believable.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:11 AM   #52
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
So you didn't "push the ceramic insert into the bezel assembly," you swapped bezel assemblies?

No I had to push the bezel insert into the bezel assembly and also remove the old bezel assembly off the watch - the new insert and assembly and ring and seating all are seperate pieces.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:16 AM   #53
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
That still doesnt show much. I could take a pic like that, so I will give you a partial apology.

I am publicly partially sorry.

Since you have manage to defy years of wisdom here on TRF, it would be great if you could share the whole process of the impossible with us. I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of members would love to see how this was done without the recommended tools, without the gasket, etc.
Thank you apology accepted - the wisdom here is incorrect I used what I could find at home and tried some common logic and yes to my surprise i did it - the techniques and how I did it I would rather keep to myself however for obvious reasons. “I tried it your way and it broke” etc etc just enjoy it for what it is ��
Old 5 April 2020, 06:28 AM   #54
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

All seperate pieces the insert needs to be pushed into the assembly which has a few parts to it

Old 5 April 2020, 06:31 AM   #55
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you apology accepted - the wisdom here is incorrect I used what I could find at home and tried some common logic and yes to my surprise i did it - the techniques and how I did it I would rather keep to myself however for obvious reasons. I tried it your way and it broke etc etc just enjoy it for what it is ��
Sorry but you were quite happy for others to share their thoughts on how to do it, then not an hour later having seemingly figured it out yourself, you are now refusing to share your method?

Not cricket.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:35 AM   #56
Milsub114060
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
Sorry but you were quite happy for others to share their thoughts on how to do it, then not an hour later having seemingly figured it out yourself, you are now refusing to share your method?

Not cricket.
Everyone said don’t it’s impossible, thousands of us and all the combined years of wisdom advise you not to - I thought I’d give it a go regardless and had prior looked on google for hours to find anything on how to do it but nothing - anyone is welcome to try themselves too but least not blame me if they get it wrong you know.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:40 AM   #57
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everyone said dont it’s impossible thousands and years of wisdom advise you not to - I thought I’d give it a go regardless anyone is welcome to try too👍
I certainly didn’t say it would be impossible, in fact I helped you post a picture up.
Of course anyone could have a go themselves, can’t imagine it would be a disadvantage to know a method that is tried and tested, though.

Anyway, if you’ve made your mind up then this thread may as well be locked or let slide to the bottom of the pile.
Old 5 April 2020, 06:41 AM   #58
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Everyone said dont it’s impossible thousands and years of wisdom advise you not to - I thought I’d give it a go regardless anyone is welcome to try too

I think it’s ok to share what worked for you. Not to say this would be the only way or recommend way that it’s supposed to be done, everyone can proceed with caution.

Info sharing is always appreciated.

4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:54 AM   #59
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your Sub looks great!
One thing I don't understand, is you're showing photos of both, the 114060 bezel w/insert & 116660 bezel w/insert.
Is the ID different on these bezels?

If not, why would you have swapped the insert and not just changed the bezels w/insert already in it? If the ID is different on both bezels, then I understand why you had to switch the inserts.

EDIT: Apologies, the bezel on your Sub doesn't look it's from the 116660.
Old 5 April 2020, 08:18 AM   #60
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All seperate pieces the insert needs to be pushed into the assembly which has a few parts to it
Then congrats on managing the swap, that's a risky manoeuvre without the required tools and training.

You deserve a beer or 6
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote