The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2020, 05:59 AM   #1
kbw
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
No love for the SD43?

Hi!

I really like how the new 43mm Sea-Dweller looks, unfortunately I haven’t been able to try it on yet. Strangely it seems that it got a lukewarm reception and with almost all other SS models selling for at least a 20% markup this one could be had for almost MSRP. Any ideas to why this is? I have a thought that it might be size related (not a problem for me as I like larger watches). Hoping to be able to pick one up soon :)

Any thoughts?
kbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:16 AM   #2
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
The SD43 is a favorite among many here. Isn’t it a good thing if there is no markup and attainable fairly easily through an AD?
I think it’s a great watch. I got rid of my 114060 because I hardly wore the sub because I like the SD so much more. It wears big on my skinny wrists but I think it looks good regardless. Hopefully you can try one on and decide for yourself. When my AD called I initially refused thinking it would be too big but once I tried it on I changed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:18 AM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Don't overthink it. It's a fantastic reference. Size and proportions work for just about anyone in my opinion. Just because there's not a huge premium doesn't mean there's not a huge following. Grab one and enjoy it!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:23 AM   #4
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
I'm a huge fan of my SD43 and gets the majority of my wrist time.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:36 AM   #5
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Huge fan over here.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:41 AM   #6
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
It’s a fantastic watch that rarely receives anything but positive feedback around here. I’d say the demand has been less than other SS sports models simply because of the size, which IMO is neither right or wrong. I think 40mm is generally speaking the perfect sweet spot. 43mm isn’t for everyone. The proportions, bracelet width and design are all perfect for a bigger watch.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:59 AM   #7
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
IMO it is the ultimate Rolex Dive watch. Mine is a keeper.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:00 AM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

I loved the look, size, specs everything - but I just couldn't get a fit where my wrist didn't bother me/it felt like a chore wearing for an extended period. Still see it in pictures and miss it though :(
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:41 AM   #9
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
To me, it is the best all around diver Rolex makes and I have subs, the SD43 and the DSSD. It is robust but not near as big as the DSSD. It wears well and has all you would want in a diver plus the red writing on the dial. It is very well loved here although behind the sub in popularity of the diver line.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:49 AM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

In answer to the OP, the Sea-Dweller doesn’t have quite the name cachet as a Sub or a Daytona nor is it as hyped. Also as pointed out, 43mm inevitably takes it out of consideration for more people than a 39-40mm watch based on size alone.

That being said, it has all the benefits of a modern sports reference - glidelock, sturdy bracelet and ceramic bezel - but with the more svelte proportions of a 5-digit diver. What’s not to like? I own an LVc but for me the SD43 is hands-down the best diver Rolex makes.

Old 6 April 2020, 07:55 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think for the general buying public they look at the price difference vs the Submariner and think it’s a lot of extra money for 3mm of watch
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:55 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Many of us big watch fans found our SD43 very uncomfortable. It’s a odd common phenomenon yet many of us own even larger watches including the DSSD and they are comfortable. The SD43 case back is smaller and applies pressure to certain wrist shapes. If it’s comfortable on your wrist then it’s a killer watch.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:56 AM   #13
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Roughly $4k over Sub-Date could be one reason why. It’s a really nice watch, but to me, I’d rather hold out and wait for a sub, sub-date, or GMT.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:58 AM   #14
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It’s a fantastic watch that rarely receives anything but positive feedback around here. I’d say the demand has been less than other SS sports models simply because of the size, which IMO is neither right or wrong. I think 40mm is generally speaking the perfect sweet spot. 43mm isn’t for everyone. The proportions, bracelet width and design are all perfect for a bigger watch.
Agree 100%, the 43mm size sounds really big to some people and keeps them at bay. I was lucky enough to get mine when they were first available, it’s great and gets most of my wrist time.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:02 AM   #15
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

I tried it on and really like it. Still on the proverbial "waiting list". Love my new 126660 JC so I know the SD43 size would work for me.
Avs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:05 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The Sea Dweller has always be a niche watch for Rolex, similar to the DSSD or Yachmaster II or a few others. Doesn't mean lack of love. They never intended for sales of the SD43 to rival that of Subs and GMTs. I totally love mine and have nothing negative to say about it. And like one poster said, enjoy that you can get one without paying a huge premium on top of MSRP
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #17
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Interesting comments!

SD43 was my first Rolex and I didn't even consider the Submariner.
I tried on the JC Blue DSSD and found it to be too top heavy.

In my opinion the Black DSSD is the watch that doesn't get "the love". Its expensive, has lots of text, and the proportions aren't quite right. The JC Blue DSSD has all of these drawbacks, but all is forgiven for that beautiful dial.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:09 AM   #18
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Lots of love for the SD43
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:09 AM   #19
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Many of us big watch fans found our SD43 very uncomfortable. It’s a odd common phenomenon yet many of us own even larger watches including the DSSD and they are comfortable. The SD43 case back is smaller and applies pressure to certain wrist shapes. If it’s comfortable on your wrist then it’s a killer watch.
Yup well said this was me
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:35 AM   #20
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Best of the modern sports range if IMO.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:39 AM   #21
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
My AD had one early on for me to try. Just too big for me. Really disappointed.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:44 AM   #22
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Echoing what's already been said. Rolex really got this one right and had it been available years ago would have bought it then. Its a daily driver that I can put on and simply forget about.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:46 AM   #23
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Much better proportions than the current sub, but it is large. Almost too toolish for the price point I’m guessing? I wonder would it do better if it had say, PCLs. And I say that as someone who hates PCLs.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:46 AM   #24
jordanfsl
"TRF" Member

I tried on the SD 43 vs. a no-date Sub a few days ago (AD got both in at the same time). Small wrist, 41mm is usually my max.

The SD wore better because of the lug/case design. I wasn't thrilled about the price difference, but whatever. Walked out with the SD43.
jordanfsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:53 AM   #25
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Always felt it showed a little big on my 7.25" oval wrist but it was comfortable enough to sleep in. I used mine as a trade toward a white Daytona and don't regret it.

I prefer DJ, DD, and Daytona case and lug profiles the best as I don't like to see lugs flying up in the air. Even the 40 mm super cases do this a bit on my wrist but far less.
Old 6 April 2020, 09:23 AM   #26
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

It’s a larger and overall nicer version of a sub. Pretty close to perfection. Although the caseback May present some comfort issues. My deep sea JC 126660 is more
Comfortable on my wrist than the SD43 even tho the JC is larger and heavier. But it’s an amazing and beautiful watch.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:24 AM   #27
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbw View Post
Hi!

I really like how the new 43mm Sea-Dweller looks, unfortunately I haven’t been able to try it on yet. Strangely it seems that it got a lukewarm reception and with almost all other SS models selling for at least a 20% markup this one could be had for almost MSRP. Any ideas to why this is? I have a thought that it might be size related (not a problem for me as I like larger watches). Hoping to be able to pick one up soon :)

Any thoughts?
I am not a fan. It's a bit too big. Not as large as a Deep Sea, but larger than a regular Sub or Sea Dweller at 40mm. The latter is perfect IMO.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:52 AM   #28
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
To each their own.

I am personally a huge fan of my SD43, and quite frankly - it's hardly come off my wrist in the last 6 months.

A lot of people love the Daytona, but it looks silly on me - doesn't mean it's not a great reference.

Buy what you like, and enjoy.
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:03 AM   #29
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: RG Day-Date
My SD43 gets considerable more wrist time than both my BLRO, sub and BLNR. Can’t go wrong.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:06 AM   #30
jrbar-on
2024 Pledge Member

My SD43 is a daily wear and I love it! I completely agree with travisb when he writes:

"Size and proportions work for just about anyone in my opinion."

as I have 6.7" wrists and it fits perfectly.

Cheers,

Jonathan
jrbar-on is offline   Reply With Quote