The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2020, 10:47 AM   #31
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
Its a love/hate relationship- even though its a tad smaller than the 44mm- its still a bit bigger than most people may think prior to seeing one in person- Just got mine within past week and absolutely love it as it will be my daily wearer (especially since its my only) cheers all and be safe
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:09 AM   #32
nick800
"TRF" Member

Was a fan then realized it was too big for me so I posted it for sale
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:13 AM   #33
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I would take a SD43 over a sub all day. Love this watch.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:14 AM   #34
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I had the SD43, its a very nice tool watch. I found it a little top heavy but it wasn’t the reason I let it and 7 other Rolex’s go around 2 months ago. Frankly, I saw the top of the market and unloaded them and acquired one watch with the proceeds.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:24 AM   #35
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
The SD43 is my grail and most beloved (material) treasure. I'm a big FAN!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:37 AM   #36
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

No love for the SD43?

I’ve had mine for two weeks and so far so goods on my 7” wrist.

I attribute the comfort to the curved lugs and end links:

My SD 4000 is on top while the 126600/SD43 is on bottom. Notice how the SD43 watch case is curved whereas the SD4000 is a straight plane. I noticed the same straight plane with the GMT 126710 as well as other 40mm Rolexes.

Additionally the curved solid end links help as well:

The SD43 left and SD4000 right. The SD43 is much more curved matching the curvature of the case. Also notice how the spring bar hole is smaller on the SD43 as well; a detail I’ll show later.

I’ll have a side by side between the SD43 and the SD4000 posted in the coming months. First I have to convert my website to Wordpress which is going to take awhile.

~ Sheldon
Old 6 April 2020, 11:43 AM   #37
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
It’s the new Yachtmaster. The dog of the sports range.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:26 PM   #38
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I think it's super cool, but I'm not enamored of the current dial selection for SS ... maybe one day!

Might also add, from an annual calendar standpoint, I guess it's impressive that it can keep track of the month and move the days automatically as such, but practically, I find having the day and the date much more helpful. I never know when it's Monday vs. Tuesday, but I'm not so addled that I can't remember whether it's July or December ...
Old 6 April 2020, 12:28 PM   #39
dmash
"TRF" Member

It's pretty simple...it's the same story for all SD models before this too. The vast majority of individuals don't want to pay the price premium for a SD over a Sub as they see them as kind of the same. Rolex has attempted to 'fix' that by changing the case size/adding a red font. It helped a bit, but still not as much as they hoped. The black Sub will always be the go to diver.

I'm also of the EXTREME majority who strongly dislikes the red font, haha. That's the only thing keeping me from buying it. If they strangely went to all white, I'd pick one up.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #40
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
It’s the new Yachtmaster. The dog of the sports range.
Hot take!
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:05 PM   #41
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post

My SD 4000 is on top while the 126600/SD43 is on bottom. Notice how the SD43 watch case is curved whereas the SD4000 is a straight plane. I noticed the same straight plane with the GMT 126710 as well as other 40mm Rolexes.

The SD43 left and SD4000 right. The SD43 is much more curved matching the curvature of the case. Also notice how the spring bar hole is smaller on the SD43 as well; a detail I’ll show later.

I’ll have a side by side between the SD43 and the SD4000 posted in the coming months. First I have to convert my website to Wordpress which is going to take awhile.

~ Sheldon
Wow, thank you for the great technical details!
iatacs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:02 PM   #42
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbw View Post
Hi!

I really like how the new 43mm Sea-Dweller looks, unfortunately I haven’t been able to try it on yet. Strangely it seems that it got a lukewarm reception and with almost all other SS models selling for at least a 20% markup this one could be had for almost MSRP. Any ideas to why this is? I have a thought that it might be size related (not a problem for me as I like larger watches). Hoping to be able to pick one up soon :)

Any thoughts?

It's a gorgeous watch, but at MSRP $11,700 (approximately $2,350 more than Sub Date) it's already premium priced.
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:44 PM   #43
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbw View Post
Hi!

I really like how the new 43mm Sea-Dweller looks, unfortunately I haven’t been able to try it on yet. Strangely it seems that it got a lukewarm reception and with almost all other SS models selling for at least a 20% markup this one could be had for almost MSRP. Any ideas to why this is? I have a thought that it might be size related (not a problem for me as I like larger watches). Hoping to be able to pick one up soon :)

Any thoughts?

Where can you find a watch that is that sexy and Macho all at the same time? ;-)
Nothing comes close to it when it comes to proportions and wrist presence. This thing is a stunner.
Why it’s not that popular than let’s say a sub, I think it is probably because of the size and extra weight. I bet most people who think it’s too big or too heavy would change their mind once the watch is tried on. Due to its perfect proportions, the watch wears almost as sub with super case. Pictures taken with cellphones make all watches look exaggeratedly big, wait until you try one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2020, 02:49 PM   #44
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I prefer it to the Sub, plus it's a better size for me.
Old 6 April 2020, 03:13 PM   #45
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex

Started off wearing a 16610ln, then traded upto a 116610ln then eventually got the SD43. Been my daily a little over a year now. Best diver in my opinion and has much more personality than the sub with the red lettering and tapered lugs with the busy bezel

Fchernyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:59 PM   #46
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
The sea dweller has always struggled in general to sell as much as the sub or gmt...I think one of the reasons they bumped it up to 43mm and the red line of text was to differentiate it amongst the lineup and distance it from the sub. That said, you’ll find there is plenty of love amongst collectors and on TRF for the SD43. I owned one and thought it was an incredible watch...what did it for me was the case back issue that Mystro mentioned...it just became too awkward for daily use.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:26 PM   #47
Marchy
"TRF" Member

Sea Dwellers never had been very popular especially compared to the Sub. SD's were meant for serious divers so the depth rating is so much more, consequently by necessity, it is thicker and sits quite tall for a 40mm watch. The Sub's proportions on the other hand makes it more comfortable to wear. I have the old SD and almost gotten the 43. I tried it on and wears ok as I'm used to bigger watches but I can't get around the cyclops. Its still on my radar though.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:47 PM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

~ Sheldon
Really great info Sheldon. Of all the SD43 posts I’ve seen here, this best illustrates the curved case profile and end links.

A small detail, but I agree one that definitely matters and makes a big difference in how it wears.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:05 PM   #49
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
For me is the most comfortable Rolex.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:18 PM   #50
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge fan of the SD43. I can almost classify it as the perfect Rolex Diver for me. I started almost 30 years ago with a Submariner and have almost always had a Rolex Diver either on my wrist or in the collection. Years ago, I found Panerai and liked the larger watch sizes and wished Rolex would strike a balance. I have owned a first generation DSSD and liked it and a slew of various Submariners over the years. My wrist size is 7.5-7.75, depending on the weather, and the larger sizes of the SD43 and the DSSD work well for me. Everything about the SD43 works for me. From the size, dial, red text, cyclops and the bracelet and Glide Lock clasp. I have found that bracelet adjustment is key with the Rolex dive range. I removed the divers extension in my SD43 for a better fit but left it in in my DSSD JC as it does not wear as well with it out in. I also own the YG Submariner with the blue sunburst dial, 116618LB, and a Hulk and a ND. All get serious wrist time and it is just a matter of getting use to which one is on the wrist. If it was a one and only it probably would be the SD43.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191004_131412 (002).jpg (253.8 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 20200327_130620 (002).jpg (116.4 KB, 392 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #51
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

~ Sheldon
Very informative post Sheldon, thanks. I didn't realize the part about the curved endlinks, and although I knew about the curvature of the lugs I did not realize how pronounced it is compared with the 40 mm version. Good stuff!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:54 PM   #52
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

~ Sheldon

Fantastic pictures Sheldon. Nobody has ever shown those differences that well. The curvature of the case and end-links is really clear and this is why this watch fits a wrist like a mold.

Old 6 April 2020, 11:58 PM   #53
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
If you have a decent-sized wrist, it appears to be a great reference. I still need to get in and try on one myself to see how it fits. Right now, for me, the Sub is the perfect size, but maybe after trying one on, I'll fall for the SD43.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 12:05 AM   #54
carl5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDive View Post
IMO it is the ultimate Rolex Dive watch. Mine is a keeper.

Looks great, am a huge fan.
carl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 12:17 AM   #55
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Didn’t love mine at first. Gets some wear now.

Much nicer than the block-cased subs.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #56
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Where can you find a watch that is that sexy and Macho all at the same time? ;-)
Nothing comes close to it when it comes to proportions and wrist presence. This thing is a stunner.
Why it’s not that popular than let’s say a sub, I think it is probably because of the size and extra weight. I bet most people who think it’s too big or too heavy would change their mind once the watch is tried on. Due to its perfect proportions, the watch wears almost as sub with super case. Pictures taken with cellphones make all watches look exaggeratedly big, wait until you try one on.

Rori, your pictures of the SD43 are second to none!
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #57
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It’s a fantastic watch that rarely receives anything but positive feedback around here. I’d say the demand has been less than other SS sports models simply because of the size, which IMO is neither right or wrong. I think 40mm is generally speaking the perfect sweet spot. 43mm isn’t for everyone. The proportions, bracelet width and design are all perfect for a bigger watch.
I think price is also a factor. Non-Wis may want a Sub because they see them on others or genuinely like them for themselves but aren't keen on shelling out another $2K+ for a watch that essentially looks the same to them.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:30 AM   #58
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Since I was a teenager, the Sea-Dweller was more attractive to me because it was and still is the badass Sub, the Sub for professional divers, leaving the Sub to recreational activities. I know it doesn’t really matter for most of us but there you, bragging rights. It's like preferring a 911 turbo to the vanilla 911 Carrera. Sometimes plain and simple works just fine, sometimes you want a little bit more.

In terms of looks, I’m not a fan of the supercase. I passed on a Sub 114060 and 116610LV back in 2016 but instantly pulled the trigger on the 126600 at the AD. It looked and felt perfect to me. A beautifully proportioned diver with a satisfying presence on the wrist and slender lugs. Unbeatable to this day IMHO as far as divers are concerned.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:27 AM   #59
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
It's a gorgeous watch, but at MSRP $11,700 (approximately $2,350 more than Sub Date) it's already premium priced.
I agree with you. In a nutshell, that's the primary reason.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:36 AM   #60
jaroush
"TRF" Member

My wrist is a hair under 7” and it worked very well. The perfectly proportioned case, bracelet and lugs enable it to work well across wrist sizes. It works much better on my wrist than 6-digit subs.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote