The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2020, 10:56 PM   #1
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

Second hand watch - looking for advise

Hi there,

I am new here. I am in the process of maybe purchasing a second hand Rolex. This will be my first Rolex and so I am trying to do all the research I can to figure out if it is a smart purchase.

The watch is from a Rolex approved second hand dealership and comes with all the papers and box. It is a 2006 model with the following specs:
Jubilee bracelet, 26mm, mother of pearl dial (pink), fluted bezel, two diamonds on the face and the rest are normal numbers.

I have been told by a friend that the watch I am looking at may be "too shiny" in the bracelet. The person who told me this could not tell me why this is a bad thing though so I was wondering if someone could elaborate?

Also the salesman said that the pink mother of pearl face is "very rare and therefore more valuable". I cannot see this option on the website configurations so wondering if this is true?

Is there a difference in value if there are numbers / roman numbers / dashes? Personally I do not have a big preference either way but interested in what the experts think.

I have asked the salesman to confirm if the watch has done any repairs and if so, had replacement parts or if the parts are original.

Are there any other questions I should be asking for a second hand watch?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
M.
m.l.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I don’t think that reference is particularly rare. An SA will say anything to make a sale sometimes.

I can’t say I’ve heard of a dial with Roman numerals and only 2 diamonds - are they at 12 and 6? I’ll let other experts chime in here.

Regarding being “too shiny,” it was likely polished. Many enthusiasts prefer used watches to be unpolished. I don’t subscribe to this. I recently purchased a 1988 16710 that was polished.I want to put my own “blemishes” on it with wear. Assuming a good polish to begin with, of course.

Advice about value: do you ever plan on selling this Rolex? If not, value shouldn’t matter much as long as you’re comfortable with the purchase price. Don’t think of this as an investment. Enjoy it for what it is.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 11:54 PM   #3
thefollandgnat
"TRF" Member

To give another take from the above, let's assume that the bracelet has not been polished and that your friend might have been saying too shiny simply because it's a Jubilee bracelet.

In my opinion he or she is both right and wrong. It's less shiny than an Oyster bracelet with polished centrelinks but more shiny than an all-brushed steel Oyster bracelet. Sort of a halfway polish, like that unfortunate country stuck for centuries between the armies of France/Prussia/Germany and Russia.
thefollandgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:01 AM   #4
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for your reply.

Just to clarify the numbers are not roman, they are regular 1,2,3... with a diamond at 9 and one at 12.

The reply I had from the salesman today says:

"The watch was serviced at Rolex and approved for water resistance, time accuracy, parts not changes (assuming this means original). The reason for the shine is the polish."

I asked if this meant it was polished too much to which he replied;

"Not on the satin parts, on the gold parts as I cleared on the crown area yesterday (not entirely sure what this means). When they polish the watch they use cotton and certain chemical creams. This process leaves a higher shine than the original. Because new manufacture pieces are cut and made by machines" (not sure what he means by that last part.

I don't plan on selling it. I do not have a watch collection my only watch is a Michael Kors I bought myself as a gift when I graduated. This would be my watch to wear to work, dinners, events, anything really so it would get a lot of wrist time. I probably wouldn't dare take it in the water even if it is waterproof, worried the rose gold would be affected. This is more of a gift to myself than it is an investment, if that makes sense. Still I don't want to buy something that is "bad".

If it is any help the cost in USD is 7,900.
Old 5 October 2020, 12:02 AM   #5
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollandgnat View Post
TSort of a halfway polish, like that unfortunate country stuck for centuries between the armies of France/Prussia/Germany and Russia.
Norway? hehe
Old 5 October 2020, 12:13 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The 26mm is discontinued I believe so you can’t find it on the website anyway.

There is no such thing as a Rolex approved second hand shop. Rolex itself does not deal in pre-owned watches.
Perhaps the shop is a Rolex authorized dealer and as such they can guarantee originality and proper functioning. A service might set you back close to 1K.

What expertise has your friend that you value his her opinion on watches ?

Don’t believe the sales assistent, usually they are only looking to sell and spill out loads of rubbish.
Trend is larger watches so you definitely need to haggle a lot. This size is a tough sell for any shop. Think about 20/ 30%

Having said this I think the 26mm model as you described it is a nice looking watch. My wife has two in this size and they look really elegant.
Old 5 October 2020, 12:15 AM   #7
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
That size watch would be going against the current trend. So hopefully you're a woman with a small wrist. Because that's a small watch. I don't think rolex even makes watches that small anymore.
Old 5 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #8
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

You’re right it’s a dealership. My friend who is a he owns 1 Rolex but that’s the only experience. It was new from the store.

Regarding size, I didn’t actually know the smaller are not on trend. I tried a larger 28mm but it looked big on my, I do have quite small wrists. The SA said it looked like the 28 “was wearing my wrist” rather than me wearing the watch but if 26 is harder to shift I suppose he would say that. I have photos but need to do 10 posts to add them it seems
Old 5 October 2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
My advice here is to not buy it.

First reason is that you’ve been fed borderline lies by the sales associate, which only goal
is to make a sale.

Secondly, I would not get a 2006 model that isn’t popular. My reading of your text tells me it’s probably because the price is low, however consider that buying a modern and more common model will prevent headaches.

Diamonds are the best way to mark up price. I have a very close friend working diamonds in Belgium, and trust me, they are worthless. I’d rather pay premium for Gold than a cool form
of carbon. Diamonds on a watch are not pretty IMO, even for women. A proper design can stand up without something that screams “wealth! Expensive!”.

I don’t know your budget or tastes, but perhaps you watch some YouTube videos about the watches that interest you. Might get some ideas of what works and doesn’t for you.

7900$ can get very interesting models.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:44 AM   #10
joli160

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.l.l View Post
You’re right it’s a dealership. My friend who is a he owns 1 Rolex but that’s the only experience. It was new from the store.

Regarding size, I didn’t actually know the smaller are not on trend. I tried a larger 28mm but it looked big on my, I do have quite small wrists. The SA said it looked like the 28 “was wearing my wrist” rather than me wearing the watch but if 26 is harder to shift I suppose he would say that. I have photos but need to do 10 posts to add them it seems
Dealership is good , should be all original. A recent Rolex service a big plus as well. Service comes with two year warranty on proper functioning. Make sure you get the RSC service card.

The SA prefers to sell the 26 instead of the 28. So don’t believe him.
Let the size not put you off, it does look nice imho.
The large trend on a petite wrist is not always looking good as many think so imho.
Only important is how do you think it looks.
If you go for the 26 get a deal
Old 5 October 2020, 01:03 AM   #11
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply.

Just to clarify the numbers are not roman, they are regular 1,2,3... with a diamond at 9 and one at 12.

The reply I had from the salesman today says:

"The watch was serviced at Rolex and approved for water resistance, time accuracy, parts not changes (assuming this means original). The reason for the shine is the polish."

I asked if this meant it was polished too much to which he replied;

"Not on the satin parts, on the gold parts as I cleared on the crown area yesterday (not entirely sure what this means). When they polish the watch they use cotton and certain chemical creams. This process leaves a higher shine than the original. Because new manufacture pieces are cut and made by machines" (not sure what he means by that last part.

I don't plan on selling it. I do not have a watch collection my only watch is a Michael Kors I bought myself as a gift when I graduated. This would be my watch to wear to work, dinners, events, anything really so it would get a lot of wrist time. I probably wouldn't dare take it in the water even if it is waterproof, worried the rose gold would be affected. This is more of a gift to myself than it is an investment, if that makes sense. Still I don't want to buy something that is "bad".

If it is any help the cost in USD is 7,900.
Not sure where I got Roman numbers from. I was reading the post on my phone from bed. It was still early.

Hmm, I've never seen diamonds only at 12 and 9. But picturing it in my head, I think that would look rather odd.

For $7,900 USD, I'd look elsewhere or haggle down. This SA is taking advantage of you knowing that you are unknowledgeable (which is okay, we all start somewhere). I wouldn't even haggle actually. Wouldn't want to give that SA my business/commission.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 01:11 AM   #12
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Ask for some high quality photos or go in and take them yourself and post them here. Then you will get feedback on the condition of the watch. It's the only way you'll get the answers you're looking for.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #13
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

I have some photos just need to get to the 10 posts so I can share them... very frustrating functionality I have to say.

Regarding the 28 vs 26 I did like the 26 more on my but I didn’t know it wasn’t trendy. That being said trends change and this would hopefully be a forever piece. Good feedback on the price though so if I decide to go ahead I’ll definitely haggle.

Are there any other questions to ask on a second hand other than year of production, last service, original pieces, paperwork and warranty? I’ve checked the bracelet bend/flexibility and it’s barely bending.
Old 5 October 2020, 01:32 AM   #14
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Regarding the 26mm size, if you like it that is all that matters. I wouldn't worry about what is trendy. I do think it is overpriced though. If you are purchasing preowned from and AD they will tend to cost more. Is the dealer providing a warranty?
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 01:38 AM   #15
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

2 year international warranty and the service was done 3 weeks ago
I just got the official images so a few more posts and I can share. My main concern is if it is too shiny or if that is even a thing
Old 5 October 2020, 01:38 AM   #16
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have some photos just need to get to the 10 posts so I can share them... very frustrating functionality I have to say.

Post your images on imgur.com and put the links here. You can drag and drop them all from your desktop to Imgur directly.
Old 5 October 2020, 01:43 AM   #17
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/a/g0uBaDC

My images - not great quality
Old 5 October 2020, 01:48 AM   #18
m.l.l
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/a/SPfHuLH

Images from the shop
Old 5 October 2020, 01:50 AM   #19
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Another resource is Chrono24 to look at different watches and value. You can filter search results.
LSU-MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:00 AM   #20
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I think $7900 is a pipe dream for the AD to ask. Watch looks great though OP. I believe your friend was referring to the “bling” of the watch and not that it’s been over polished or something was out of order. I am not that skilled at determining the integrity of a watch however if it’s a trusted seller and it’s a watch you want put your heels down and haggle a better price. If it was me buying for my old lady I’d be shooting for $5500-$5800. These are not high selling models (especially considering the size). The AD probably had 4K in the watch. Take that into account when purchasing. The diamonds at 6 and 9 don’t bring the value up that much imo.

Good luck op, the watch looks great on your wrist!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:02 AM   #21
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

I have just purchased my partner a 26mm DJ, she already has a 31mm Rolex and as she has small wrists.
She wanted something smaller, that wore more as a bracelet ( her words not mine ) the 26 mm is perfect.

In not keen on the dial you are looking at, there is plenty of more interesting dials available.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:03 AM   #22
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

RUN. The bracelet is such in a sorry state for the price.
Old 5 October 2020, 02:07 AM   #23
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If it’s a watch you really like, and it sounds like you do, then get it. But I agree on the price, seems a bit high for a 14 year old watch in a diameter than has been abandoned by Rolex since fashion generally are people wearing larger watches. Diamonds make it harder to sell, frankly, than more desirable but I think they look good. My suggestion is look for a similar watch on Chrono 24, and if less expensive then offer him what prices are on that site. He’s selling a used watch, like cars, boats, anything, there is a price the market is paying and you shouldn’t pay more.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:08 AM   #24
joli160

Nice looking watch, i’ve never seen this dial before. Doesn’t mean it’s not good though. Doubt any official dealer would sell an aftermarket dial.
Mother of Pearl has a nice shine to it imho.

The bracelet is shiny because of the fresh service, this will tone down a bit over time.

Good luck dealing
Old 5 October 2020, 02:11 AM   #25
joli160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
It’s not, as tight as a Jubilee can be, this watch has seen very little wrist time.
Old 5 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #26
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
You can also use WatchRecon online to search for watches and get an idea of prices.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:18 AM   #27
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
It’s not, as tight as a Jubilee can be, this watch has seen very little wrist time.
Are we looking at the same curvature and stretch?
Old 5 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #28
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are we looking at the same curvature and stretch?

I agree with Joli. I don’t know where you’re seeing a bracelet that looks super stretched. Please screenshot the picture of the bracelet and then argue your point.

Old 5 October 2020, 02:25 AM   #29
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

If this is the picture you’re referring to the amount of stretch looks minimal. Granted there is no picture of the bracelet hanging and showing all of its movement.

Old 5 October 2020, 02:33 AM   #30
Jim Beam
Banned

Watch: 116503
Quote:
I completely agree, this looks like a drunk bracelet to me. I would stay away from it. If you have $7900 to spend then you're really not that far from some nice, brand new models. I would save up just a little more money and buy from an AD instead, you're not that far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I agree with Joli. I don’t know where you’re seeing a bracelet that looks super stretched. Please screenshot the picture of the bracelet and then argue your point.
Look at the SS links on the side of the bracelet in the high res pics from the dealer. They are much too far apart from each other (end-to-end) and that only happens with extensive wear. That is almost definitely a drunk bracelet.
Jim Beam is offline   Reply With Quote