The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 February 2024, 04:49 AM   #1
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Different take on the polished vs unpolished debate

I’ve searched buy have not found anything on point. I’m curious is anyone in this forum has ever posted hi def photos of their watch and asked others to guess if the watch is polished or unpolished and then later post revealed the answer. I’d be willing to bet the people who generally hold themselves out as experts would be wrong as often as they are right. I would do it myself buy do not have the ability to take hi def photos.
Old 20 February 2024, 05:01 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

sounds like trollin'. But i don't have the ability to troll.

luke_skywalker_like.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 20 February 2024, 05:10 AM   #3
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
sounds like trollin'. But i don't have the ability to troll.

Attachment 1420645
Not a troll at all and I’m sorry you took it that way. I find the opinions on “polished or not” to be all over the map (within the same thread) and wanted to know if anyone has conducted such a test or survey. Again, my apologies you took it the wrong way,
Old 20 February 2024, 05:17 AM   #4
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I think one must assume that almost every watch that is used has almost certainly had some level of touching-up in it's past. Whether it be RSC or some backpack dealer wanting to improve condition before a sale.

This is why the many actively seek out watches from original owners.
Old 20 February 2024, 05:24 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipper View Post
I’ve searched buy have not found anything on point. I’m curious is anyone in this forum has ever posted hi def photos of their watch and asked others to guess if the watch is polished or unpolished and then later post revealed the answer. I’d be willing to bet the people who generally hold themselves out as experts would be wrong as often as they are right. I would do it myself buy do not have the ability to take hi def photos.
I did years back. I posted my daily Bluesy and Serti Sub that I touched up along the way by myself and after it was lightly polished at the 15 year mark. The lines were crisp and identical from new to 99% of educated enthusiast.
I also posted tutorials on how to do this and keep the factory finish but it may be gone as the picture host server is gone now.
First we must understand there is a difference between a full polish and a light touchup as they are different. One is done with a mechanical polishing wheel and the other can be done by hand. One requires the entire watch to be polished to mask any dissimilarities and the other spot polishes only the blemish in question.

Obviously our cameras were not as good.
Here is a 15 year old TT Sub that ran nonstop on a winder or my wrist. Some pics are before a light polishing and some are not…….

Old 20 February 2024, 05:36 AM   #6
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
What a beautiful sub!
Old 20 February 2024, 05:38 AM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Again.
It all depends upon the condition of the watch prior to polishing.
I have had Rolex polish watches at service time and if it weren't for some stretch in the bracelet from daily wear one couldn't tell the watch was polished from a brand new watch of the same reference sitting right next to it. More specifically the watches I speak of were EXP IIs with brushed bezels.
Of course, it was testament to how well cared for the watches were and apart from some very slight micro marring on polished surfaces and edges from long shirt cuffs, they were in rather stunning condition before the touch up at the RSC.
Old 20 February 2024, 05:40 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I think one must assume that almost every watch that is used has almost certainly had some level of touching-up in it's past. Whether it be RSC or some backpack dealer wanting to improve condition before a sale.

This is why the many actively seek out watches from original owners.
Agreed
Old 20 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #9
rmagoo57
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I can tell the difference because I've taken the time to learn by looking at 1000's of pic's of watches and buying/owning both repolished and unpolished (which is actually the original factory polish) watches. I love the look of the original factory polish on the 5-digit models I own so I don't mind paying a premium for them. I recently peeled the stickers off of a 16570 polar from 2007. Expensive but very satisfying!!
Old 20 February 2024, 05:47 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Where I have a problem with “No Polishing” with a modern reference is when it’s used as an excuse/pass to sell a whipped watch for the same money as a pristine watch. Sometimes no polished means “uncared for”. In all my years, I have never traded in a watch that didn’t pull THE maximum trade in value that wasn’t touched up by myself along the way. If done correctly, a touched up modern Rolex will always demand more money than one unpolished with visual blemishes.

I am beyond picky when it comes to buying condition and why our trusted sellers like Than knows my expectations. Than will tell me strait out a particular watch won’t meet my standards. That is a great seller.

I also have a problem with some sellers carelessly using the term “mint condition” when a watch has obviously been deeply polished to correct a major flaw. If you polished a major flaw then it can’t be “mint”.
It’s also funny that the hotter the model the more liberal the term “mint” is used to get you to accept visual flaws.
But that is another issue all together.
Old 20 February 2024, 06:00 AM   #11
rmagoo57
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Here is what an original factory polish job (unpolished) looks like on a 16610LV...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=937051
Old 20 February 2024, 06:09 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
As someone said, it depends on the condition of the watch prior to polishing. A watch lightly touched to remove some faint hairlines, should be very hard to tell if it has ever been polished, if the polishing was done correctly. Watches with deep scratches require deeper work and the polishing should be fairly evident.
Old 20 February 2024, 06:13 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Where I have a problem with “No Polishing” with a modern reference is when it’s used as an excuse/pass to sell a whipped watch for the same money as a pristine watch. Sometimes no polished means “uncared for”. In all my years, I have never traded in a watch that didn’t pull THE maximum trade in value that wasn’t touched up by myself along the way. If done correctly, a touched up modern Rolex will always demand more money than one unpolished with visual blemishes.

I am beyond picky when it comes to buying condition and why our trusted sellers like Than knows my expectations. Than will tell me strait out a particular watch won’t meet my standards. That is a great seller.

I also have a problem with some sellers carelessly using the term “mint condition” when a watch has obviously been deeply polished to correct a major flaw. If you polished a major flaw then it can’t be “mint”.
It’s also funny that the hotter the model the more liberal the term “mint” is used to get you to accept visual flaws.
But that is another issue all together.
100%
Old 20 February 2024, 06:21 AM   #14
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I also posted tutorials on how to do this and keep the factory finish but it may be gone as the picture host server is gone now.
I think i remember that. I think a repost is in order
Old 20 February 2024, 07:43 AM   #15
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Here is what an original factory polish job (unpolished) looks like on a 16610LV...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=937051
Thank you. Looks exactly like a once RSC polished 16610 that had been well cared for (no deep scratches or dings) prior to the RSC polish.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:17 AM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I think i remember that. I think a repost is in order
Thank you. I got screwed over by Photobucket and lost a large amount of valuable photos. I did just do a “how to properly size a bracelet.” Today’s Rolex owner is different than it was back then, but I will do more.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932527
Old 21 February 2024, 01:20 AM   #17
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Not a troll at all…. Again, my apologies you took it the wrong way,
Definitely troll talk.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:52 AM   #18
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

For the longest time, I always heard the money is in the dials. What good is a perfect dial if you have a mangled case? With all that said, there are some really talented folks out there that can repair anything.
Old 21 February 2024, 11:32 AM   #19
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Definitely troll talk.
You could not be more wrong, Kevin. Check out my previous posts before you pop off, Karen. In my limited time on the forum I have only posted a few specific non-trolling questions.
Old 21 February 2024, 12:31 PM   #20
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Check out my previous posts before you pop off, Karen.
Definitely troll talk.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:20 PM   #21
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

It's challenging to determine if a watch is 100% polished without having it in hand with a loupe to assist. Some watches are obviously overpolished, noticeable even to a blind person. Additionally, variations in photo quality or exposure can lead to differing opinions.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:37 PM   #22
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely troll talk.
Your troll comment is wrong. And you also can’t take a joke.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:54 PM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Your troll comment is wrong. And you also can’t take a joke.
Blaming the victim. Twice. Classic troll.
Old 21 February 2024, 02:13 PM   #24
Sipper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Blaming the victim. Twice. Classic troll.
I’m done with you in the same way a first time poster with a legit question was last month when you erroneously called him a troll. You stated “Very on-brand, still giving off troll vibes.” That must be your thing, calling legit posters “trolls”. In that thread others called you out for being a jerk. I guess that’s how you like to operated. Do us all a favor and find new place to discuss watches!
Old 21 February 2024, 02:13 PM   #25
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And you also can’t take a joke.
Perhaps the same for you. Relax, he’s just pushing your buttons…..effectively
Closed Thread