The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 January 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Honestly - evaluate the state of your collection

So, let's be honest guys. No nonsense fluff. No joking around. All this talk of grails and the "illness" and the "bug" - let's really put it into perspective.

How content are you with your current collection? Evaluate how you feel towards all the hard work that you've put into your collection and how does it make you feel at the end of the day?

I'll start -

Although I've toyed with the idea of getting a gold Rolex piece like the YG GMTIIC, the WG Smurf, or the RG Daytona... and even though I've strayed and looked at Panerais and AP... I still feel content with my collection.

I look forward to coming home from work and removing my Sub Date and placing it on the towel that I have my other 3 Rolex watches resting on. I still look forward to putting it on its side and not on its back so as to prevent case back scratches from the bracelet. I look forward to going up to my closet and choosing which watch to wear that night.

Of course, my collection could always be bigger and better and less meager. I find that it is a very humble collection compared to some on this TRF site. I could use 3 more SS Rolex watches, I could use an all gold Rolex piece (or two), I could use something a little more interesting like a Panerai 505 or an AP ROO. And goodness, I know I would love to have a Patek 5980 or its Rose Gold counterpart to top off my collection.

But at the end of the day, I know the amount of hard work that I put into place to get into my current collection of 4 and I'm quite content with my little slice of Rolex heaven.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
GIS8
"TRF" Member

I will never be content: gotta catch em all
GIS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS8 View Post
I will never be content: gotta catch em all
Atleast you're honest.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 12:59 PM   #4
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
My collection consists of the following:

Also have an IWC Mark XV:

I am very content with it, and the only thing I feel I'm missing is a little vintage... I think my next pick up will be a 1680 Submariner, preferably the "Red" variety!
Old 28 January 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I am at complete peace and bliss with my current one watch collection. 114060.

Over the past 3-4 years, I've had as many as 5 nice watches at onetime and constantly flipped them. I got bit hard by vintage and still love those. Due to some interesting sales I had within my collection and a general weariness with constant flips and always looking for the next watch acquisition (including dozens per year), I decided to give it a rest with one watch.

We will see how long it lasts. For now, I am VERY content with my 114060.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 01:17 PM   #6
jlc123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Overseas
To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with mine now. I have a 114270, which is gorgeous and a perfect watch, but its in for a service and will be for another 3-4 weeks. My other watch, a JLC Reverso, while a very high quality watch, just doesn't do it for me anymore. I don't love it the way I did when I bought it. Lately I've had a ton of interest in it through eBay, so that is good and I hope to have it sold within a couple weeks. After that I think I'll go for a sub nd (5513 or 14060) or 16570. Once I have my 114270 and 2nd Rolex in my possesion, I think I'll be a very happy man.
jlc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
My collection is basically my DSSD and PAM 005, i also have a couple older Rolexes, i never wear them though, they are in the winder all the time, just too small.

I am actually pretty happy with just two, I find myself wearing the PAM more than the DSSD lately, but i still love it.

I would love to add to my collection, maybe a seamaster, or a DD ii, but i am not sure how much wrist time they would get so Imwould hate to spend money that just sits in a winder.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I just started. I've made some pretty stupid buys, but am learning. I think I'll be pretty happy once I start culling the herd and focus on a few specific types. I'm pondering pre 1940s vintage, with a couple of strays here and there.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
janagler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Always swapping, selling, buying, never really content with the exception of my Rolex Sub LV Kermit, Rolex DSSD and some Panerai 44mm Luminor (either my 005 or 390). I am not really sure why this is the case, but the watch that sings to me when I am pursuing it, sometimes is boring after I get it. Today I bought an IWC BP. This will be my third. I have also bought and sold a Panerai 233 3 different times. The whole thing is a little annoying, but I DO LOVE THE HUNT!!!
janagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Mine's still very much a work in progress
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
I am very content relative to my finances and "needs". These 3 do it all for me. Some may lose their mind that I don't have a Sky Dweller and a Solid Gold XYZ but I don't like them...

I'm glad I'm at "peace"...its a great place to be.

OH I do have a "grail" (SS Daytona White Dial) and I could get it tomorrow but as I said I'm happy with these three. Oh and I want a white dial Speedmaster Date but I don't need it.

There is something very Zen about being at peace with one's watches, life, wife, house, car, kids, job right down to what I had for dinner tonight.
I can't imagine the feeling of always looking for the next watch "fix". Must me horrible IMHO.

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Stoner319
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You Sleep
I am never 100% content. Sure I enjoy what I have and appreciate the next watch more than the others for a while but sooner or later I get the wandering eye and it's on to the next one. Which I really think is the whole point of collecting.

With something like modern watches they are constantly changing and so is your collection.
Stoner319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:37 PM   #13
R3mmzy
"TRF" Member

Definitely a work in progress here. Last few weeks have been a very confusing time.
R3mmzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
My collection consists of the following:

I am very content with it, and the only thing I feel I'm missing is a little vintage... I think my next pick up will be a 1680 Submariner, preferably the "Red" variety!
So wild how big that Speedy looks compared to the SD and GMT!?
Old 28 January 2013, 03:04 PM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I like the idea of 3 ......
im working on it and waiting on an incoming to sort me out
Old 28 January 2013, 03:12 PM   #16
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
I am very content relative to my finances and "needs". These 3 do it all for me. Some may lose their mind that I don't have a Sky Dweller and a Solid Gold XYZ but I don't like them...

I'm glad I'm at "peace"...its a great place to be.

OH I do have a "grail" (SS Daytona White Dial) and I could get it tomorrow but as I said I'm happy with these three. Oh and I want a white dial Speedmaster Date but I don't need it.

There is something very Zen about being at peace with one's watches, life, wife, house, car, kids, job right down to what I had for dinner tonight.
I can't imagine the feeling of always looking for the next watch "fix". Must me horrible IMHO.

Tell me more about that black strap on the speedmaster please!
Old 28 January 2013, 03:12 PM   #17
connorperson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
if I was grading my collection I would give myself a grade of I

for Incomplete
connorperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
Tell me more about that black strap on the speedmaster please!
GasGasBones

Old 28 January 2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
State of the collection declaration....

Certainly I am always looking to expand my submariner collection, so I agree with the previous posters that my collection is in a state of I for incompleteness...!

I really enjoy this hobby, in the last two years I've purchased four subs, now the fun is trading up one or two of them without having to pull from my bank accounts. I also like learning about watches, discussing watches, etc. Some guys buy sport's cars, movie memorabilia, etc, I buy submariners for fun.

The best part for me, I can't stop smiling when I look down at my hobby results, here is today's favorite from 1983:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1983.jpg (121.3 KB, 788 views)
Old 28 January 2013, 03:43 PM   #20
pacifichrono
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 GMT 1675
I'm pretty contented. I have two REALLY nice vintages:

...1968 GMT-Master 1675 Pepsi
...1971 Datejust 1603 black dial

Love them both. If I were to add one more, it would be an Explorer II (I think!).

Old 28 January 2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I have also started looking at other brands. I did pick up an AP 15300 this last year and two other rolex's. This year I am going to downsize and invest in key watches that I feel best represent myself.
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 07:55 PM   #22
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I don't think there will ever be an end to my collecting, but I feel lucky to have the watches that I've worked very hard for.
If I were to own just one luxury timepiece, it would be more than I ever thought I would have.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 09:33 PM   #23
CMT
"TRF" Member

Current state: Meager with the necessary sport, dress, and double duty watch bases covered. I have a healthy affinity for each piece, with nothing to complain nor write home about, a very solid middle of the road. It could be worse.
CMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I've realized I'm a chronic flipper. Over the past decade I've owned everything from DJs, Subs, almost every GMT Master, even a Yachtmaster platinum. I've settled with on keeper. My AirKing 5500. The perfect Rolex. Typically I have one or two watches at a time. Now I have an Omega Seamaster GMT I'm really enjoying. Sure I have some grails but I'm almost 30 and have a lot of time left for the biggies later on. Besides, I've owned a DRSD and that is no slouch.

My grails lie outside Rolex with one exception. I'd like a 6542 with Perspex bezel one of these days. Otherwise a nice Zenith Cairelli and the original Breguet XX.
Old 28 January 2013, 10:34 PM   #25
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My collection is small by some standards, big by others, alright by me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 10:55 PM   #26
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
I'm content with my current two, a Submariner LV and SS Daytona black dial.

Was up to five in the watch box but found the above two where the only ones getting wrist time.

Still have an itch for a discontinued Dweller or Explorer 1, but fear they would just end up sitting in the watch box again.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 11:55 PM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have too many watches and have been thinking lately about selling/trading some pieces to move up. I try to wear all of my watches and do a good job about the rotation but I see some higher end watches that I wont be able to afford unless I pare down.

Tough decision as each piece has memories for me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 12:44 AM   #28
geekyjeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always want 1 more
I'm happy with what I have now. But I will always want to add more.
geekyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 12:45 AM   #29
Keyser Soze
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nomos Zurich
I feel pretty confident saying that I am content with collection of two. I started with the DateJust because for me, it's the classic Rolex. The GMT Master II I blame completely on this forum! :) So many great pic's here!

For a while I was lusting after the 14060M but since we travel fairly regularly (and don't do any diving) I thought I'd lean towards a tool watch I would actually find handy.

Maybe when I turn 50, if my wife asks me what I would like I as a gift I'd say the Sub no-date but I don't see myself adding another watch into the rotation anytime soon.
Old 29 January 2013, 01:01 AM   #30
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I'm happy enough, but I feel the urge to get that "one more piece" and then, at least so far, once aquired, I set my sights on the next one...